Congress Votes To Ban Confed Flag

BS Wildcats

​It amazes me that it is 2015 and  everyone continues to make reference to the Confederate Battle Flag being hung from the Capital Building.  That flag was removed from the Capital building in 2000 (15 YEARS ago)......it was moved to a WAR MEMORIAL on the same property. I imagine it was a slap in the face to those who's ancestors fought for States Rights..... 

​FYI, for many of us the term 'States Rights " is nothing but a code word used back in the day for the right to continue slavery.

​FYI, for many of us the term 'States Rights " is nothing but a code word used back in the day for the right to continue slavery.

​I agree, many people think that......but it's not exactly true

The Congress at that time favored the industrialized northern states to the point of demanding that the South sell is cotton and other raw materials only to the factories in the north, rather than to other countries. The Congress also taxed the finished materials that the northern industries produced heavily, making finished products that the South wanted, unaffordable. If the NorthernStates and their representatives in Congress had only listened to the problems of the South, and stopped these practices that were almost like the taxation without representation of Great Britain, then the Southern states would not have seceded and the war would not have occurred. ​

There are those of us on here that will agree to disagree over the flag.  There is one thing that is for sure and that is we can all agree that slavery, hangings, and all other atrocities should not have ever happened.  The removal of all symbols of the South will not change this.  There is nothing we can do about what happened then.  We need to realize that just because we don't agree with what is taking place,  does not mean one is racist or not.  It is just a difference of opinions.  In the end,  all of this is really getting nobody anywhere.

The Congress at that time favored the industrialized northern states to the point of demanding that the South sell is cotton and other raw materials only to the factories in the north, rather than to other countries. The Congress also taxed the finished materials that the northern industries produced heavily, making finished products that the South wanted, unaffordable. If the NorthernStates and their representatives in Congress had only listened to the problems of the South, and stopped these practices that were almost like the taxation without representation of Great Britain, then the Southern states would not have seceded and the war would not have occurred. ​

​This can't be a true statement, that war was ALL about slavery and a flag!

​OMG!!! The South enjoyed their slave labor. The South fought to keep their way of life. Plain & simple. Yall need to stop it. 

There are those of us on here that will agree to disagree over the flag.  There is one thing that is for sure and that is we can all agree that slavery, hangings, and all other atrocities should not have ever happened.  The removal of all symbols of the South will not change this.  There is nothing we can do about what happened then.  We need to realize that just because we don't agree with what is taking place,  does not mean one is racist or not.  It is just a difference of opinions.  In the end,  all of this is really getting nobody anywhere.

​Its a moral victory. The majority of sensible people do not want their public funds going to a group of traitors who supported this peculiar institution and wanted to maintain keeping individuals in bondage. Even when the war ended, The Black Codes were put into the social order to control...

From what I read of the History of the Civil War, the Confederate soldiers were to busy fighting and dying to commit the atrocities you're referring to.  I'm certainly not proud of what many slave owners did, or had done, but the average Confederate soldier was (and I know you've heard this before & will probably blow it off) a relatively poor (what would be described now as trash) man who answered the call for the South, or perhaps drafted into service.  He didnt own slaves, nor a pot to pee in or window to throw it out of.  Like the hundreds of thousands of boys sent to fight in Viet Nam - to stop the "domino effect" (commies will get VNam then Australia, then U.S.).  I was in the Army then.  Fortunately, had orders to go & they got cancelled.  Hell, we didn't know a commie from a Canadian.  If someone mentioned Stalin, we may have heard his name that's it.  Our country called and we got sent where  they wanted us to go.  And almost 60,000 died there, many boys I'd gone to school with.  And like the Civil War, most were the poorer young men, not the rich.

That's the same as happened to the Confederate soldier.  

One last thing Pam, I'm not sure but I'd guess slavery started in America just prior to 1700.  So slaves were subjected to unimaginable cruelties for a hundred & sixty years prior to the War.  That war lasted four years and as you know, hundreds of thousands died.  Very few slave owners, they had money.  So in that 165 years of slavery, that flag, that meant so much to so many men, innocent of the sins of slavery, was only around 4 years.  And those 250,000 men that died, many did in as terrible a way as any slave.  

I don't care about slave owners except to say I hope they rot in hell.  But for all those innocent young men who died, I care for them, just as you care for yours.  

Don't know what else I can tell ya.  We both have TO MUCH to morn, but I'm reaching to you hard as I can. I know your pain, I'm just trying in a sincere way, to explain mine.  

​Big Ups on that REB

From what I read of the History of the Civil War, the Confederate soldiers were to busy fighting and dying to commit the atrocities you're referring to.  I'm certainly not proud of what many slave owners did, or had done, but the average Confederate soldier was (and I know you've heard this before & will probably blow it off) a relatively poor (what would be described now as trash) man who answered the call for the South, or perhaps drafted into service.  He didnt own slaves, nor a pot to pee in or window to throw it out of.  Like the hundreds of thousands of boys sent to fight in Viet Nam - to stop the "domino effect" (commies will get VNam then Australia, then U.S.).  I was in the Army then.  Fortunately, had orders to go & they got cancelled.  Hell, we didn't know a commie from a Canadian.  If someone mentioned Stalin, we may have heard his name that's it.  Our country called and we got sent where  they wanted us to go.  And almost 60,000 died there, many boys I'd gone to school with.  And like the Civil War, most were the poorer young men, not the rich.

One last thing Pam, I'm not sure but I'd guess slavery started in America just prior to 1700.  So slaves were subjected to unimaginable cruelties for a hundred & sixty years prior to the War.  That war lasted four years and as you know, hundreds of thousands died.  Very few slave owners, they had money.  So in that 165 years of slavery, that flag, that meant so much to so many men, innocent of the sins of slavery, was only around 4 years.  And those 250,000 men that died, many did in as terrible a way as any slave.  

I don't care about slave owners except to say I hope they rot in hell.  But for all those innocent young men who died, I care for them, just as you care for yours.  

Don't know what else I can tell ya.  We both have TO MUCH to morn, but I'm reaching to you hard as I can. I know your pain, I'm just trying in a sincere way, to explain mine.  

Hippy I said plenty of times I can care less who hangs the flag who sell the flag etc. Long as it there property a mesuem etc. Away from public buildings. I didnt no the kids and men who fought for the Confederacy but I do no they fought on the wrong side and shouldnt be praised as heros. My own personal feeling is let's move forward no flags but the state and US. Flag. What was the south tradition in the 1800-1960s shouldn't be the south tradition today.

​Big Ups on that REB

Thanks BP.  I do try to look at both sides.  I wish I could wave a magic wand and makes us all happy, but I'll have to settle for eating lunch. Since I've gotten old, eating is the one thing I still do well. LOL

Hippy  you can't honestly believed it never would of been a war if the north just listened. So now its the Yankees fault. I agree with some you say but the succeeding started as soon as Lincoln got elected. Talking his let's free the slaves nonsense... strange.

Thanks BP.  I do try to look at both sides.  I wish I could wave a magic wand and makes us all happy, but I'll have to settle for eating lunch. Since I've gotten old, eating is the one thing I still do well. LOL

​But you won't acknowledge they were still traitors? Hmmm? Don't make me bring out documentation. Now, I will say this about those poor farm boys for the South. Some of them may have been forced into action but I still haven't ran across any solid evidence that they were, but I am leaning towards that notion.

Hippy  you can't honestly believed it never would of been a war if the north just listened. So now its the Yankees fault. I agree with some you say but the succeeding started as soon as Lincoln got elected. Talking his let's free the slaves nonsense... strange.

​I have never said Slavery was not one of the reasons of the Civil War. It became an issue a couple years into it.  The way the North was taxing the South played a huge roll in the war.  Take that along with only 3% of the white population owning slaves.....think about it....Blacks now are 13% of the population and are considered a minority.....What would 3% be back then? Plus they didn't have Facebook:).....How could 3% make that much noise??

​I have never said Slavery was not one of the reasons of the Civil War. It became an issue a couple years into it.  The way the North was taxing the South played a huge roll in the war.  Take that along with only 3% of the white population owning slaves.....think about it....Blacks now are 13% of the population and are considered a minority.....What would 3% be back then? Plus they didn't have Facebook:).....How could 3% make that much noise??

​I thought everyone knew about the 3%?

​Shoot, its rumored the 1% run the United States now. So surely 3% obviously ran the South back then too. Maybe thats the reason why you had so many non-slave owners  were fighting too. And maybe you do remember the cotton gin,  and the importance it had on slavery. The gin was invented before the 1800's.

​Shoot, its rumored the 1% run the United States now. So surely 3% obviously ran the South back then too. Maybe thats the reason why you had so many non-slave owners  were fighting too. And maybe you do remember the cotton gin,  and the importance it had on slavery. The gin was invented before the 1800's.

​Funny how everyone has a different version of History.....

Hippy, how can you say slavery became an issue a couple of years into the Civil War? Have you studied the Texas Independence War? What about that Missouri Statehood problem. Oh, and don't forget about my man Fredrick Douglass and his friends. We're referencing the 1820's to 1850's. And as a sidebar , what year did John Brown have that altercation. And Alexander Stephens  (yall's VP for the new country) as I have already noted on here said it was about slavery. Go read his Cornerstone  Speech.

Everybody have their own opinions , no problem. But I won't allow anyone to minimize what happened without me making a counter- comment.

Hippy, how can you say slavery became an issue a couple of years into the Civil War? Have you studied the Texas Independence War? What about that Missouri Statehood problem. Oh, and don't forget about my man Fredrick Douglass and his friends. We're referencing the 1820's to 1850's. And as a sidebar , what year did John Brown have that altercation. And Alexander Stephens  (yall's VP for the new country) as I have already noted on here said it was about slavery. Go read his Cornerstone  Speech.

Everybody have their own opinions , no problem. But I won't allow anyone to minimize what happened without me making a counter- comment.

Don't think anybody is trying to minimize anything.  Just because one disagrees with another on an issue,  does not mean they are minimalizing that issue.    

Don't think anybody is trying to minimize anything.  Just because one disagrees with another on an issue,  does not mean they are minimalizing that issue.    

​thank you....

The problem is no matter what point I bring up or link I post......if it does not say Slavery was the main cause of the Civil War, it won't be correct.