Congress Votes To Ban Confed Flag

BS Wildcats

If you want to get right down to it, so did the original flag of the U.S. I'm glad our fore fathers had a vision for a better country, but we need to call it like it is.  Right?

Good point!  Similar but not the same and you can't make any excuses to get outta this one.  Colonies versus a union of United States.  You're trying to compare a country versus Colonies.. 

If you want to get right down to it, so did the original flag of the U.S. I'm glad our fore fathers had a vision for a better country, but we need to call it like it is.  Right?

Yep, the American Revolution was started & fought by English citizens rebelling against England (obviously why they were called rebels).  Fortunately, those rebels won.  

I'm still trying to figure out why a humorous TV series that Millions of people have watched and laughed at for 35 years is suddenly identified as The Death Star commanded by Darth Vader.  

Yep, the American Revolution was started & fought by English citizens rebelling against England (obviously why they were called rebels).  Fortunately, those rebels won.  

I'm still trying to figure out why a humorous TV series that Millions of people have watched and laughed at for 35 years is suddenly identified as The Death Star commanded by Darth Vader.  

Good question... amazing how all this disingenuous contempt has surfaced over a TV show that has no shred of racism in it.

Good question... amazing how all this disingenuous contempt has surfaced over a TV show that has no shred of racism in it.

It amazing LRF.  All because a sorry lowlife nutcase (in lieu of the cuss words he deserves) killed 9 good Christians, and had a confederate flag behind him in a picture.  If it was a poster of Dineyworld, would we condemn it & all who go there?

if they want to start a movement to lynch Dylann Roof, I'd be all for it (and may God forgive me)!

@BSO: NASCAR Fans Refuses To Take Down Confederate Flags At Races

This is the hidden content, please
via @CoachSeahorn

Good article

I was curious how this was going to play out. 

Not surprised at the results.  What will NASCAR do now?  Ban it and lose a lot of fans?   If I was in charge, no way.  Money is a great decision maker lol. 

If you can get WalMart to make you an Isis flag cake, the Confederate flag should fly high! I see nothing wrong with the Confederate flag. Can someone explain this to me? I just gotta hear this.

I do understand why some some don't like it, but what all should understand, there's many things that groups or individuals don't like.  To paraphrase, All aren't going to like All the things All the time.  

This confederate flag business has gotten totally out of hand.  

I understand the push to take the Confederate flag down at the South Carolina and Alabama state capitols. But the Dukes? Really?

I get that to a lot of people in this country, the Confederate battle flag is a symbol of racism - it's hard for black Americans not to interpret it that way when some of the most famous pictures of the most vehement racists of the twentieth century, like George Wallace, feature massive Confederate flags flying all over the place. The internet is covered with images of the flag at KKK rallies, past and present.

But I also get that to millions of Southerners, many of whom are black as well, the flag is a symbol of Southern regional pride. To them, it's meant to identify a particular region, not a racial superiority complex. Charlie Daniels wrote one of the most interesting pieces I've read about this particular issue, in which he talked about growing up in the South during the 1930s, when most people in the United States looked down on the region and its inhabitants. To him, the flag symbolized the pride Southerners held in stark defiance of the condescending views adopted by Americans in other regions of the country. In the same way that the South has embraced the "redneck" persona despite the term's once pejorative connotation, the flag, to many Southerners, was a way to maintain some sort of pride while being looked down upon by everyone else - this is literally the exact same reason college football is so big in the South (seriously, look that up). This is true among even some of the most liberal Southerners; one of my best friends while in Alabama, who was so far left he bordered on communist, owned a Confederate flag and proudly espoused his Southern identity.

I think the key element the media has missed in this debate is the context in which the flag and other Confederate symbols are used. Is the flag a symbol of racism at a KKK rally? Undoubtedly, but the American flag arguably is as well in those instances - after all, they're exercising their genuinely American right to free speech while calling for a purely white America, not just a white South. Is it a symbol of racism at bubba's fish camp up by the lake when he has it flying while he's kicked back on the front porch with a six pack? No, it's a symbol of a redneck telling the world that he's a redneck, that he enjoys being a redneck and that he likes to do redneck things and have good redneck times in a redneck part of the country. Is it a symbol of racism in a museum, in a textbook or at a reenactment of a Civil War battle? No, it's a symbol of one of the defining periods of American history, in which our character, unity and integrity as a nation were defined for generations to come.

Is it a symbol of racism on top of the General Lee? No, it's a symbol of the rebelliousness that's embodied by the main characters, Bo and Luke Duke, while they're speeding down the highway at a hundred miles an hour, causing problems for the local sheriff, foiling the plans of the local corrupt political boss, straightenin' the curves and flattenin' the hills. Seriously, was the show racist? Absolutely not. Did any one of the characters on the show espouse anything even remotely racist for one second of air time? No. They never even came close.

Is it a symbol of racism at the statehouse in South Carolina, where Strom Thurmond served as Governor and made numerous stump speeches advocating hardline segregationist policies? Yes, and it has no place being flown on the grounds of a capitol that should be open to all, that once voted to suppress the rights of millions of black South Carolinians, and that only ever started flying the flag as a protest against civil rights during the 1960s. Is it a symbol of racism at the statehouse down in Alabama, where George Wallace famously made several openly racist speeches, where Jefferson Davis himself oversaw the affairs of the Confederacy while the capitol of the short-lived nation was located in Montgomery during the early days of the Civil War, and which hundreds of black protesters were repeatedly barred from approaching during the marches from Selma? To argue that it isn't, and that it shouldn't come down as a result, would be asinine. Is its brother, the first national flag of the Confederacy, a symbol of racism at the capitol in Austin, where it flies alongside the flags of the five other nations of which Texas has been a part during its history? No, it's a symbol of the reverence with which Texans view their history - good and bad parts alike - just like it is when it flies next to those same five flags outside the Texas Historical Commission, and just like the seal of the Confederacy is when placed next to the seals of the United States, Mexico, France and Spain as those five seals encircle the seal of the Republic of Texas on the floor of the rotunda inside the capitol building.

Context, folks. Context. I think most Americans - black, white and whatever other color - understand that. I think the media analysts and fringe elements, who are just about the only ones pushing this issue, don't. Maybe that's why they're all so surprised when they see the results of opinion polls like the one below:

Leave the Duke boys alone. They were never meanin' no harm, and they didn't do anybody any either.

Edited by PN-G bamatex

I understand the push to take the Confederate flag down at the South Carolina and Alabama state capitols. But the Dukes? Really?

I get that to a lot of people in this country, the Confederate battle flag is a symbol of racism - it's hard for black Americans not to interpret it that way when some of the most famous pictures of the most vehement racists of the twentieth century, like George Wallace, feature massive Confederate flags flying all over the place. The internet is covered with images of the flag at KKK rallies, past and present.

But I also get that to millions of Southerners, many of whom are black as well, the flag is a symbol of Southern regional pride. To them, it's meant to identify a particular region, not a racial superiority complex. Charlie Daniels wrote one of the most interesting pieces I've read about this particular issue, in which he talked about growing up in the South during the 1930s, when most people in the United States looked down on the region and its inhabitants. To him, the flag symbolized the pride Southerners held in stark defiance of the condescending views adopted by Americans in other regions of the country. In the same way that the South has embraced the "redneck" persona despite the term's once pejorative connotation, the flag, to many Southerners, was a way to maintain some sort of pride while being looked down upon by everyone else - this is literally the exact same reason college football is so big in the South (seriously, look that up). This is true among even some of the most liberal Southerners; one of my best friends while in Alabama, who was so far left he bordered on communist, owned a Confederate flag and proudly espoused his Southern identity.

I think the key element the media has missed in this debate is the context in which the flag and other Confederate symbols are used. Is the flag a symbol of racism at a KKK rally? Undoubtedly, but the American flag arguably is as well in those instances - after all, they're exercising their genuinely American right to free speech while calling for a purely white America, not just a white South. Is it a symbol of racism at bubba's fish camp up by the lake when he has it flying while he's kicked back on the front porch with a six pack? No, it's a symbol of a redneck telling the world that he's a redneck, that he enjoys being a redneck and that he likes to do redneck things and have good redneck times in a redneck part of the country. Is it a symbol of racism in a museum, in a textbook or at a reenactment of a Civil War battle? No, it's a symbol of one of the defining periods of American history, in which our character, unity and integrity as a nation were defined for generations to come.

Is it a symbol of racism on top of the General Lee? No, it's a symbol of the rebelliousness that's embodied by the main characters, Bo and Luke Duke, while they're speeding down the highway at a hundred miles an hour, causing problems for the local sheriff, foiling the plans of the local corrupt political boss, straightenin' the curves and flattenin' the hills. Seriously, was the show racist? Absolutely not. Did any one of the characters on the show espouse anything even remotely racist for one second of air time? No. They never even came close.

Is it a symbol of racism at the statehouse in South Carolina, where Strom Thurmond served as Governor and made numerous stump speeches advocating hardline segregationist policies? Yes, and it has no place being flown on the grounds of a capitol that should be open to all, that once voted to suppress the rights of millions of black South Carolinians, and that only ever started flying the flag as a protest against civil rights during the 1960s. Is it a symbol of racism at the statehouse down in Alabama, where George Wallace famously made several openly racist speeches, where Jefferson Davis himself oversaw the affairs of the Confederacy while the capitol of the short-lived nation was located in Montgomery during the early days of the Civil War, and which hundreds of black protesters were repeatedly barred from approaching during the marches from Selma? To argue that it isn't, and that it shouldn't come down as a result, would be asinine. Is its brother, the first national flag of the Confederacy, a symbol of racism at the capitol in Austin, where it flies alongside the flags of the five other nations of which Texas has been a part during its history? No, it's a symbol of the reverence with which Texans view their history - good and bad parts alike - just like it is when it flies next to those same five flags outside the Texas Historical Commission, and just like the seal of the Confederacy is when placed next to the seals of the United States, Mexico, France and Spain as those five seals encircle the seal of the Republic of Texas on the floor of the rotunda inside the capitol building.

Context, folks. Context. I think most Americans - black, white and whatever other color - understand that. I think the media analysts and fringe elements, who are just about the only ones pushing this issue, don't. Maybe that's why they're all so surprised when they see the results of opinion polls like the one below:

Leave the Duke boys alone. They were never meanin' no harm, and they didn't do anybody any either.

Well said, but the left and most blacks will never have a reasonable perspective as this.

These companies and businesses need to stand up and quit bowing to pressure from the media or wherever it may come from.  Take Wal-Mart for instance: they stop selling the flag which is a dark part of American history, but it is still American.  But the majority of the product they sell is imported outside America.  Maybe, this is what we need to be concerned with, not whether or not they sell a flag that some don't like.  

Well said, but the left and most blacks will never have a reasonable perspective as this.

I've said over and over you can hang your flag wherever you want Just keep it away from State Capitols/Public grounds. but the right and most whites will never have a reasonable perspective.

I've said over and over you can hang your flag wherever you want Just keep it away from State Capitols/Public grounds. but the right and most whites will never have a reasonable perspective.

If you read the post I quoted, it basically says what you said about where to fly it.  I'm just saying that most can't be reasonable about it.  It is seen as a symbol of racism only, and you will never convince the unreasonable otherwise.