I Want My SEC Network....

^^^^*

In other words when you are losing an argument about football, bring up the academic records of each conference. Do you get extra points each game for being academically superior? Maybe that's why Stanford has been so good lately.

You should favor that approach.  A&M (unless piggybacking the accomplishments of programs who have won a championship in the last 75 years) is much better off with an academic evaluation than a football evaluation.

I LOVE THE SEC!!!

GIG'EM

Of course you do.  It is the one conference in the country where the mediocre programs like Ole Miss, Miss St, Vanderbilt, and now A&M find it acceptable and not laughable to claim the championships of its league opponents.  We would have let you guys do that in '05 if you hadn't been too proud!

Lets check wonderlic test scores why don't we..lol

I believe Vince scored a 6 and somehow got a degree from Texas.

Supposedly he has a job making $100k a year to be an ambassador to the university. Anything to keep their hero from living on the streets. Taxpayer money well spent!

Ok I will try this again.

I hope Forbes will be good enough for you.

I am old and tried to link this but you can copy and paste this yourself to find he actual article.  While this article does not solely go on the academic strength of a school- it does rank:  Academic Success, Post Graduate Success, Graduation rate and Student Satisfaction.

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

But again another major publication does not support your claim that Texas and the BIG 12 is a vastly superior conference than the SEC.  This is Forbes listing of the "Americas Top Colleges"

While neither the SEC or the Big 12 really have anything to crow about here are the rankings:

No. 54 - Vanderbilt

No. 76 - Texas

No. 87 - Florida

No. 94 - Georgia

No. 137 - Texas A&M

No. 190 - LSU

No. 195 - Baylor

Still looks like Forbes thinks the SEC is better than the Big 12.

Bottom line is tx will not be asked to join the sec. The sec has every thing they need with aggies for tx purposes. Look for schools like Vir tech, any car school to be looked at before tx. Tx will not bring anything to the table for the sec
SECond to none
Geaux tigers

North Carolina and Virginia or VTech will be schools the SEC would be interested in adding IMO.

Ok I will try this again.

I hope Forbes will be good enough for you.

I am old and tried to link this but you can copy and paste this yourself to find he actual article.  While this article does not solely go on the academic strength of a school- it does rank:  Academic Success, Post Graduate Success, Graduation rate and Student Satisfaction.

http://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

But again another major publication does not support your claim that Texas and the BIG 12 is a vastly superior conference than the SEC.  This is Forbes listing of the "Americas Top Colleges"

While neither the SEC or the Big 12 really have anything to crow about here are the rankings:

No. 54 - Vanderbilt

No. 76 - Texas

No. 87 - Florida

No. 94 - Georgia

No. 137 - Texas A&M

No. 190 - LSU

No. 195 - Baylor

Still looks like Forbes thinks the SEC is better than the Big 12.

That looks much better.  A&M and Missouri leaving for the SEC actually boosted the SEC rankings and hurt the Big 12 (especially adding WVU).  The Big 12 was formed by geography.  When the move is made, UT will join the ACC, Big 10, or Pac 10, all of whom are very sound academic conferences that don't have the stigma of the SEC (see SWC of the 70s and 80s).

Edit - By the way, I don't have a problem with Time Magazine.  It was just that article could not have meant what you thought it did (or appeared to have thought it did).  If they want to rank the universities, I would think they could do it justice.  I would also assume Northern Illinois would not rank No. 2.

Of course you do.  It is the one conference in the country where the mediocre programs like Ole Miss, Miss St, Vanderbilt, and now A&M find it acceptable and not laughable to claim the championships of its league opponents.  We would have let you guys do that in '05 if you hadn't been too proud!

All the team you mentioned above all made bowl games & won last year!! They will also make more TV money than Notre Dame this year unbelievable right!!!

Gig'em

Agreements change when pressure is exerted from the right places. That's how the business world works and the dollar rules everything. Again, there is no way Texas would ever join a conference with the low education bar and stigma of the SEC. The academics would never let it happen. So rest easy. It would never be a consideration on Texas' part.

These are all of the schools in the SEC and the Big XII with their academic rankings, per US News & World Report:

SEC:

#17 Vanderbilt

#49 Florida

#60 Georgia

#69 Texas A&M

#86 Alabama

#91 Auburn

#97 Missouri

#101(T) Tennessee

#112 South Carolina

#119 Kentucky

#128 Arkansas

#135(T) LSU

#142(T) Miss State

#150 Ole Miss

Average Ranking: #97

Big XII:

#52 Texas

#75 Baylor

#82 TCU

#101(T) Oklahoma

#101(T) Kansas

#101(T) Iowa State

#135(T) Kansas State

#142(T) Oklahoma State

#161 Texas Tech

#170 West Virginia

Average Ranking: #112

Texas is the top dog, academically speaking, in the Big XII. In the SEC, it would be outranked by Vanderbilt and Florida, with Georgia not far behind. The worst school in the SEC, Ole Miss, ranks ahead of the two worst schools in the Big XII, Texas Tech and West Virginia. The average SEC ranking is 15 spots higher than the average Big XII ranking. If what you're saying is true and Texas would refuse to join the SEC because of academics, it's because Texas wouldn't want to play second (or rather, third) fiddle.

Now, I agree that the higher-ups in the SEC might want to make an exception to their rule about not adding schools in states that are already represented for Texas because, as you pointed out, Texas is the most profitable brand in college athletics. Having the nation's most profitable athletic department in the nation's most profitable conference would seal the SEC's dominance among collegiate athletic conferences. And, on that note, I think a lot of the officials in Austin would see the benefit of that as well, regardless of what the "academics" think. As big as the burnt orange brand is, think how much bigger it would be if UT was playing A&M and Arkansas again every year, along with the likes of Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn and Georgia. Frankly, that would be the greatest level of competition UT has ever had in a conference, and that kind of competition would likely only breed more fandom, and thus more merchandising.

"As big as the burnt orange brand is, think how much bigger it would be if UT was playing A&M and Arkansas again every year, along with the likes of Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn and Georgia. Frankly, that would be the greatest level of competition UT has ever had in a conference, and that kind of competition would likely only breed more fandom, and thus more merchandising. "

Unless of course they were losing to these teams on a regular basis. ;) :D

^^^^*

In other words when you are losing an argument about football, bring up the academic records of each conference. Do you get extra points each game for being academically superior? Maybe that's why Stanford has been so good lately.

I remember not long ago when A&M was proud of its academics.  The quality education you could receive in College Station was one of its selling points.  Has this unprecedented success, i.e. 7th place conference finishes, in football gone to your heads and made you change your priorities??

"As big as the burnt orange brand is, think how much bigger it would be if UT was playing A&M and Arkansas again every year, along with the likes of Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn and Georgia. Frankly, that would be the greatest level of competition UT has ever had in a conference, and that kind of competition would likely only breed more fandom, and thus more merchandising. "

Unless of course they were losing to these teams on a regular basis. ;) :D

Don't let A&M middle of the pack finishes be your guide.  They were equally mediocre in the Big 12, maybe even more so.  They just went from losing to Texas Tech on a regular basis to losing to LSU on a regular basis...

That looks much better.  A&M and Missouri leaving for the SEC actually boosted the SEC rankings and hurt the Big 12 (especially adding WVU).  The Big 12 was formed by geography.  When the move is made, UT will join the ACC, Big 10, or Pac 10, all of whom are very sound academic conferences that don't have the stigma of the SEC (see SWC of the 70s and 80s).

Edit - By the way, I don't have a problem with Time Magazine.  It was just that article could not have meant what you thought it did (or appeared to have thought it did).  If they want to rank the universities, I would think they could do it justice.  I would also assume Northern Illinois would not rank No. 2.

I would and should have as well. But I really did know what it was saying - but it was an article that supported my position so I used it - kudos to you for researching it  ;)

I would and should have as well. But I really did know what it was saying - but it was an article that supported my position so I used it - kudos to you for researching it  ;)

Fair enough.  I was talking about universities overall and not the actual athletes.  We were just on different topics!  :)

I remember not long ago when A&M was proud of its academics. The quality education you could receive in College Station was one of its selling points. Has this unprecedented success, i.e. 7th place conference finishes, in football gone to your heads and made you change your priorities??

I will say that if the current Texas legislature gets their way, both schools will see their numbers go down. They are more interested in increased enrollment and increasing revenue than the quality of education. Hopefully they don't turn these schools into diploma mills.