Record Numbers of Regional Covid Cases

bullets13

Last numbers I saw from the CDC is that 90% of new cases, and over 95% of hospitalizations and deaths are occurring among the unvaccinated.  So I guess if nothing else the curve will flatten out when enough unvaccinated have gotten sick, but hospitals are being overwhelmed in the process.  

3 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Last numbers I saw from the CDC is that 90% of new cases, and over 95% of hospitalizations and deaths are occurring among the unvaccinated.  So I guess if nothing else the curve will flatten out when enough unvaccinated have gotten sick, but hospitals are being overwhelmed in the process.  

I guess I’m wondering what the hospitals consider “overwhelmed”. 

4 hours ago, bullets13 said:

567 new cases yesterday, nearly 1000 in two days.  Is it time to start putting at least some precautions back in place until it dies back down some?  

No disrespect to your post. It’s at least a fair question. Which precautions are you speaking of? If it’s a mask mandate, then my answer would be no. If it’s shutting down businesses, then my answer would be no. If it’s a vaccination mandate, then my answer would be no. If it’s virtual classroom instruction instead of in person learning, then my answer would be no. 

Now, if you mean a return to personal responsibility and doing what you think is right for yourself and your family, then my answer would be a resounding yes! Vaccinate if it’s the right choice for YOU. Mask up if it’s the right choice for YOU. Stay home and shelter in place if it’s the right choice for YOU. Let people live as responsible citizens. 

4 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

No disrespect to your post. It’s at least a fair question. Which precautions are you speaking of? If it’s a mask mandate, then my answer would be no. If it’s shutting down businesses, then my answer would be no. If it’s a vaccination mandate, then my answer would be no. If it’s virtual classroom instruction instead of in person learning, then my answer would be no. 

Now, if you mean a return to personal responsibility and doing what you think is right for yourself and your family, then my answer would be a resounding yes! Vaccinate if it’s the right choice for YOU. Mask up if it’s the right choice for YOU. Stay home and shelter in place if it’s the right choice for YOU. Let people live as responsible citizens. 

My problem is that the whole thing has gotten so politicized... There should be no need for a mandated vaccine... there are so many "smart" people walking around refusing to vaccinate that it'll never get curbed.   It's just gonna keep mutating and spreading.

It's pretty funny that 95%+ of the people being hospitalized and dying are unvaccinated but people still won't go get the shot.  I know tons of guys who were vaccinated for everything under the sun back in the military but won't go near this vaccine because a certain somebody in red ball cap didn't get re-elected.  All of the people here refusing to take the vaccine are the same ones that were praising operation Warp Speed late last year.  Literally.... the same people. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

My problem is that the whole thing has gotten so politicized... There should be no need for a mandated vaccine... there are so many "smart" people walking around refusing to vaccinate that it'll never get curbed.   It's just gonna keep mutating and spreading.

It's pretty funny that 95%+ of the people being hospitalized and dying are unvaccinated but people still won't go get the shot.  I know tons of guys who were vaccinated for everything under the sun back in the military but won't go near this vaccine because a certain somebody in red ball cap didn't get re-elected.  All of the people here refusing to take the vaccine are the same ones that were praising operation Warp Speed late last year.  Literally.... the same people. 

I don’t know if your stats are right or not. I’m vaccinated, and I’m simply stating that no matter what your race, gender or political affiliation is, it’s your choice to be responsible.

24 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I don’t know if your stats are right or not. I’m vaccinated, and I’m simply stating that no matter what your race, gender or political affiliation is, it’s your choice to be responsible.

I guess the irony is that the people who THOUGHT they were being responsible by avoiding the vaccine are now almost 100x more likely to end up hospitalized than someone who isn't vaccinated...

8 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I guess I’m wondering what the hospitals consider “overwhelmed”. 

A couple of months ago our local hospitals had some days with zero new Covid patients.  Currently they’re having to put up temporary medical tents outside of the hospital due to having so many patients.  I would assume they’re pretty overwhelmed, and have heard as much from some hospital workers I know.  

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

That is one area they disagree with him about.  He got the jab. 

21 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

A couple of months ago our local hospitals had some days with zero new Covid patients.  Currently they’re having to put up temporary medical tents outside of the hospital due to having so many patients.  I would assume they’re pretty overwhelmed, and have heard as much from some hospital workers I know.  

I don’t know that I’ve spoken with anyone in the medical community that deals with Covid patients that isn’t overwhelmed. 

8 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

It’s a tough line to walk.  You’re basically saying that your argument is that no safeguards should be enforced.  I struggle between not wanting people to be told what to do, but also having an issue with how many people take zero precautions and are fueling the pandemic.  many people aren’t being “responsible citizens” and are spreading the virus at record rates.  I don’t know what the answer is, honestly.  I don’t think people should be forced to take the vaccine.  I wish more people would, and the numbers are showing the benefits of doing so.  Many people I know who were against it are now taking it.  I’ve talked to people who didn’t, got very sick, and now wish they had.  I still know people who haven’t gotten sick, or were lucky and it was mild, that are still anti-vaccine.  I know a (very small) handful of people who got hit hard by Covid that are still completely anti-vax.  That should be their right.  

I don’t have a problem with mask mandates, especially in private businesses.  They do help to some degree, and it’s still really strange to me that people who are required to wear and do many things by law have decided that wearing a mask to slow the spread of disease is somehow the greatest infringement on their liberties of the 21st century.  I didn’t have a single case of flu or Covid spread in my classroom the entire school year last year, and we wore masks and had social distancing, and shut down briefly during one of the local severe outbreaks.  We also required a mandatory wait time to return to school for anyone who was exposed, and sent home classes and busses that had known cases for two weeks.  It was a sucky year, but we stayed healthy.  Almost nobody at work now is wearing masks or social distancing.  I don’t have a choice but to be around them.  I mean, technically I have a choice, I could quit my job, but that’s not a realistic option for people who need to feed their families.  I chose to get vaccinated, so the risk to me is fairly small, but other people’s choices still affect me.  For instance my kids had to go to daycare the last two weeks when my wife and I went back to work, but before school starts.  Several unvaccinated workers at the daycare got sick early this week, and I’m now having to pay a substantial daily rate to a babysitter to watch the kids while we work, and also having to wait and see if my unvaccinated kids get sick.  So their choices have certainly affected me significantly.  So all that said, I don’t know what should or should not be enforced, but it’s also pretty clear that letting people “live as responsible citizens” isn’t working.  People who want to be “responsible citizens” generally don’t have a choice as to whether or not they’re going to be around the irresponsible.  

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

It’s a tough line to walk.  You’re basically saying that your argument is that no safeguards should be enforced.  I struggle between not wanting people to be told what to do, but also having an issue with how many people take zero precautions and are fueling the pandemic.  many people aren’t being “responsible citizens” and are spreading the virus at record rates.  I don’t know what the answer is, honestly.  I don’t think people should be forced to take the vaccine.  I wish more people would, and the numbers are showing the benefits of doing so.  Many people I know who were against it are now taking it.  I’ve talked to people who didn’t, got very sick, and now wish they had.  I still know people who haven’t gotten sick, or were lucky and it was mild, that are still anti-vaccine.  I know a (very small) handful of people who got hit hard by Covid that are still completely anti-vax.  That should be their right.  

I don’t have a problem with mask mandates, especially in private businesses.  They do help to some degree, and it’s still really strange to me that people who are required to wear and do many things by law have decided that wearing a mask to slow the spread of disease is somehow the greatest infringement on their liberties of the 21st century.  I didn’t have a single case of flu or Covid spread in my classroom the entire school year last year, and we wore masks and had social distancing, and shut down briefly during one of the local severe outbreaks.  We also required a mandatory wait time to return to school for anyone who was exposed, and sent home classes and busses that had known cases for two weeks.  It was a sucky year, but we stayed healthy.  Almost nobody at work now is wearing masks or social distancing.  I don’t have a choice but to be around them.  I mean, technically I have a choice, I could quit my job, but that’s not a realistic option for people who need to feed their families.  I chose to get vaccinated, so the risk to me is fairly small, but other people’s choices still affect me.  For instance my kids had to go to daycare the last two weeks when my wife and I went back to work, but before school starts.  Several unvaccinated workers at the daycare got sick early this week, and I’m now having to pay a substantial daily rate to a babysitter to watch the kids while we work, and also having to wait and see if my unvaccinated kids get sick.  So their choices have certainly affected me significantly.  So all that said, I don’t know what should or should not be enforced, but it’s also pretty clear that letting people “live as responsible citizens” isn’t working.  People who want to be “responsible citizens” generally don’t have a choice as to whether or not they’re going to be around the irresponsible.  

I get your arguments. All decent ones too. But if you believe, like the medical & scientific community do, the the vaccine puts you at an almost zero risk for China virus death, a HUGELY diminished risk for hospitalization, a very small risk for even catching or passing along the virus, then isn’t making the personal choice of getting vaccinated good enough for YOUR safety?

Pertaining to your children. What about RSV, the flu, a common cold… They could catch that too. 

My son played football, hung around a large number of unvaccinated unmasked teens. Went to in person learning at Lumberton High School. Never got Covid. Been tested 7 times for various reasons in the last year. Attended an unmasked all day orientation in close quarters at UMHB (brought him yesterday to move-in 😢). Never had China Virus. Kids don’t get it, don’t spread it like older folks do. That’s one of the reasons you didn’t have cases in your class too. 

36 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I get your arguments. All decent ones too. But if you believe, like the medical & scientific community do, the the vaccine puts you at an almost zero risk for China virus death, a HUGELY diminished risk for hospitalization, a very small risk for even catching or passing along the virus, then isn’t making the personal choice of getting vaccinated good enough for YOUR safety?

Pertaining to your children. What about RSV, the flu, a common cold… They could catch that too. 

My son played football, hung around a large number of unvaccinated unmasked teens. Went to in person learning at Lumberton High School. Never got Covid. Been tested 7 times for various reasons in the last year. Attended an unmasked all day orientation in close quarters at UMHB (brought him yesterday to move-in 😢). Never had China Virus. Kids don’t get it, don’t spread it like older folks do. That’s one of the reasons you didn’t have cases in your class too. 

I don’t worry about their safety.  Kids don’t seem to be affected much by it, generally.  My kids had it last summer, one had no symptoms, the other a mild headache for a couple of days.  The problem we run into is when they’re exposed we have to shut down for 10 days, can’t send them anywhere, and have to stay home with them.  Or pay twice the daycare rate to someone who’s willing to risk being around them.  It’s just all such a tough situation.  

Y'all were saying the same thing 12 months ago. 

The people who refuse to take the shot, myself included, have that right to say no, mind your own business, my medical records are private for a reason.

What will be the next un-approved vaccine forced upon us by unelected bureaucrats?

This is a dead horse that sailed long ago, stay afraid, comply and wear an N95 mask because anything less than that is useless, kind like the current POTUS...

12 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

The Delta Variant isn't behaving the same.... over 60% of the hospitalized in the SETX region are under 40 years old, or at least that's my understanding.  Every time that a kid tests positive at the daycare, the whole class gets sent home for a day.  Any other kids at the same daycare (siblings of kids in the affected kid's class) get sent home, too.  We've lost my coworker for something like 8 weeks this year because kids keep getting infected down at the daycare.   I know a guy at a local refinery... the whole control room won't be taking the vaccine because they don't trust science (despite making a living in a gigantic chemistry set).  Two weeks ago two entire operations shifts were sent home because of positive tests.  The "geniuses" started wondering if made better sense to just have the infected work the shifts instead of getting weeks off at a time while the guys who aren't sick cant get a day off because they're covering shifts for the vageens who won't take the approximately 65th vaccination of their adult lives.   

Any grown man that won't take the vaccine isn't a man.  

I'm sorry if that hurts your girlie feelings. 

2 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The Delta Variant isn't behaving the same.... over 60% of the hospitalized in the SETX region are under 40 years old, or at least that's my understanding.  Every time that a kid tests positive at the daycare, the whole class gets sent home for a day.  Any other kids at the same daycare (siblings of kids in the affected kid's class) get sent home, too.  We've lost my coworker for something like 8 weeks this year because kids keep getting infected down at the daycare.   I know a guy at a local refinery... the whole control room won't be taking the vaccine because they don't trust science (despite making a living in a gigantic chemistry set).  Two weeks ago two entire operations shifts were sent home because of positive tests.  The "geniuses" started wondering if made better sense to just have the infected work the shifts instead of getting weeks off at a time while the guys who aren't sick cant get a day off because they're covering shifts for the vageens who won't take the approximately 65th vaccination of their adult lives.   

Pulls string...

The sheep says:

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

If you would open your eyes, I’ve said repeatedly that I’ve been vaccinated. Lol. I did it on my own accord. A grown man or girlie man should be able to decide that on their own. 

22 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

The US Supreme Court says otherwise. 

6 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Or maybe just maybe the reason the delta is now attacking the younger generation is the fact they have been masked for over 12 months and their natural immune system is now compromised. 

And your attempt of "shamming people" with "Any grown man that won't take the vaccine isn't a man." rings so hollow and sanctimonious, what a pathetic lemming. 

2 hours ago, Derf Nosneb said:

Or maybe just maybe the reason the delta is now attacking the younger generation is the fact they have been masked for over 12 months and their natural immune system is now compromised. 

And your attempt of "shamming people" with "Any grown man that won't take the vaccine isn't a man." rings so hollow and sanctimonious, what a pathetic lemming. 

Bingo bingo bingo