WO-S 20 Silsbee 13 Final/Comments

It was a great game for both teams. But after seeing silsbee size and athletes they had more athletes, more depth, and way huger size than WOS. There is no way WOS should be able to beat them. If Silsbee got some coaching and discipline there would be no excuse for them to go deep in the playoffs. There lines were bigger than half the 5As in West Brooks district. But being a WOS fan im glad to see we were able to beat a team even when we were outmanned. Reminds me of all of 2000.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GoStangs

Come on now GS, why would you go for two??? You have the best kicker in the area. Get the tie and try to win in overtime.

For a few reasons. You have a kicker who already missed one PAT earlier in the game, it's a wet field where deep snaps and kicks are more of an adventure than in regular conditions, and they would've had a lot of momentum at that point. Going for one is simply playing not to lose rather than playing to beat the other team, and at some point in the game, be it with two minutes in regulation or in OT, you have to take the initiative to win, rather than hoping the other team gives you a victory by making a mistake.

Sad people will taint what was a great game with all the excuses. The better team came out on top' date=' but Silsbee gave them a heck of a fight. WO-S didn't play that poorly, but did seem to shoot themselves in the foot a time or two..Silsbee did as well. I think WO-S should pass the ball more often. A lot of weapons. The one thing that really concerns me about WO-S in the playoffs is depth. I don't doubt their conditioning because I know they are in great game shape, but they are thin on backups. I would imagine several JV players will be suiting up before long to get some varisty reps. before the playoffs roll around.[/quote']

This is the best post I've seen so far on this thread, Hup. You are very correct that, especially on defense, if we lose a player, it will hurt. However, I'm sure you can say that about any team in 3A. I know that I, for one, was holding my breath when #61 for WO-S was laying on the ground last night in pain. He is one of the cogs in our D line and we CAN'T lose him.

I also agree that these excuses are ruining what I thought was one helluva game. Both sides just need to realize that these were 2 great teams that matched up very well together. Turnovers happen when you are playing a physical team and it happened for both of us. I don't think it was so much us playing bad, but Silsbee playing good. The penalties hurt both teams and I don't think it hurt any team more than the other. Yes, WO-S had more of them, but it seems to me that the ones Silsbee got were at very crucial times. I think that, if Silsbee will use this momentum they got from this game, and realize that they can play with anyone, they will roll.

The word of the night was' date=' without a doubt........RESPECT. Before the game, at the coin toss, the WOS captains refused to shake the hands of the Silsbee captains. This showed a lack of respect and a total absence of class. Both teams played great football, and the outcome could have gone either way. I don't see any way to argue that point? Either team could've walked off that field with a victory. Alot of people seem to have forgotten those post that read " WOS will be ready for Silsbee" and now reverted to "WOS played their worst game of the year". Silsbee showed their true colors tonight, and have proved that they will not be taken lightly. Crying shame these teams won't meet again. I hope that tonight Silsbee earned the respect of WOS, but more than anything I hope Kvilleballa doesnt have the heart to post for a week. Silsbee wins out in district 21-3A and makes a big dent in the playoffs.[/quote']

You'd better make dang sure that this accusation is accurate because I promise you I WILL find out if it is or not. You can make up all the crap you want about other posters, but don't do it about these kids. I find it REALLY hard to believe that these kids for WO-S would do that. I know everyone of them and they ARE NOT like that. They are all very good and respectful kids. If I find out you made this crap up you WILL GET EXPOSED!!!

This game could have gone either way. Both teams had opportunities to win. I really believed it would be a very good game. Silsbee always brings their A-Game when playing the Mustangs. The only think that I was curious about was "which" Silsbee team would show up. To me, Silsbee is an enigma. By that I mean, they have always been an up and down team. One week, they can be tremendous and the next week they can lose to someone they have no business losing to. I have seen this for years. Consistency has always been a thorn in their side so I wondered which team would suit up last night. I totally thought it would be the better one I we saw that to be the case. Silsbee is dangerous. From a "Mustang pair of glasses", I can see the "shooting ourselves in the foot" suggestions. Now, if you were a Silsbee fan, we would see it through a different pair of glasses and viewpoint and I think they are both basically correct. This game was in doubt to the very end. That is a testament to two schools with good tradition. I congratulate Silsbee and their staff for coming in prepared and ready. You always see the games where Silsbee is putting the ball on the ground alot and having miscues. Not so last night and I thought that would be the case. THAT is the reason that the game was like it was - Silsbee just flat shows up for WO-S. WO-S is 7-0 and that is simply a testament to the Mustang Program. Talent doesn't hurt for sure, but believing you are supposed to win and having continuity within a staff is monumental.

Hey, I was extremely impressed with the new Silsbee facility. It was my first time to see it. My hats off to Silsbee with what is the best stadium in Southeast Texas - bar none.....

Silsbee COULD do some damage for several rounds in the playoffs if they can find some consistency and stay focused.

It was a great game and I think that is very good for Southeast Texas. I will promise you that Stud McGallion would have been pleased with the effort!!!!!

All this talk about one team playing their worst game, the other playing their best, players not wanting to shake hands, fans making excuses, field conditions, ect. ect. ect., this is all a bunch of baloney. It was 2 very good teams duking it out all game long, with one making just a few more plays than the other to pull out the victory. Please folks, let's not take anything from these players who busted their butts out there all night.

Did WOS play their worst game last night? Did Silsbee play their best? This can be debated for quite some time. I for one cannot comment on if that was the Mustangs worst game since that was the first time I had seen them this year. I do believe that the Tigers had something to do with the quality play or lack of, that the Mustangs had. I've felt all along that the Tigers would match up very well with WOS, and they proved me right. IMO, Silsbee was just a couple of pass completions away from changing the outcome of this game. WOS made the plays when they needed to, that was the difference. I've seen Silsbee all year, and that was about as good a game as they have played but they still made some mistakes which tells me they could have played better. I don't think we have seen the best from the Tigers just yet.

As for the folks that made those silly predictions of a blowout, well all I can say is that is why they play the games. I will agree that most of these comments came from non-WOS fans but there were a few that were Mustang fans, you know who you are. But hey, everyone has fans like that and I refuse to lump all Mustang fans into that category, that's just ridiculous.

I enjoyed meeting with some of the WOS fans after the game, great to see the faces with the names. Ya'll are some great guys.

This game is over, let's all move on. Good luck Mustangs the rest of the season. Let's have both teams represent 21-3A well in the playoffs and bring back 2 State Championships to Southeast Texas.

Even if it is true, I don't think it is such a horrible thing. I mean sure they should have shaken hands (assuming they didn't), but there was a lot of hype, emotions and adriline at play. I doubt it was meant as a show of no sportsmanship (though it was), but more of a statement that we aren't here to be your friends..oh well teenagers don't always think through their actions before they act. I suspect that it will be the last time they do this (assuming they did this time). Have seen boxers do the same thing to try and get in the head of their opponent. Either way it was settle on the field.

Here is a question I have for Stang fans...When Bevil wasn't in as quarterback on those few plays was he a receiver? I noticed that it was a sure run if the other kid was QB, and that it was a very good run most every time. Also, I agree with whichever person said WO-S should have thrown the ball downfield more often.

Hup, to answer your question, yes, Bevil does go to receiver in those situations. He is a good receiver as well. The kid that was playing QB those few times is J. Franks. He can throw it too, he just didn't the other night. He is like 4-4 w/ 2 TD's this year. He doesn't throw a lot, but when he does it is usually a big play.

Guest GoStangs

Great pictures! I really enjoyed them.

I think our pictures should be coming on-line at WO-S.com pretty soon, also. I'll let you know when they get put up. :)

Knowing these kids...I can't see them refusing to shake hands with their opponents. Not just because the coaches would get on to them, but because their parents would light into them, as well. I know that there has been a lot of trash-talking between WO-S and Silsbee athletes since basketball playoffs last year, but I cannot see them being outright disrespectful. I, too, will have to inquire about the coin-toss cordialities or lack of.

Silsbee sure getting alot of recognition. I haven't seen them win not 1 playoff game since UIL drop their classification. May they will win the first game since the next district pretty weak. I would love to see silsbee play against Justin Sturns and the Rusk Eagles. Oops...I forgot yall going D1 with Carthage being involved.

Silsbee sure getting alot of recognition. I haven't seen them win not 1 playoff game since UIL drop their classification. May they will win the first game since the next district pretty weak. I would love to see silsbee play against Justin Sturns and the Rusk Eagles. Oops...I forgot yall going D1 with Carthage being involved.

Sturns can be stopped. Jasper proved that last year.

Knowing these kids...I can't see them refusing to shake hands with their opponents. Not just because the coaches would get on to them' date=' but because their parents would light into them, as well. I know that there has been a lot of trash-talking between WO-S and Silsbee athletes since basketball playoffs last year, but I cannot see them being outright disrespectful. I, too, will have to inquire about the coin-toss cordialities or lack of.[/quote']

I seen them patting each other's helmets. I wouldn't think there is much to the disrespect story......not intentionally anyway.

Gasilla,

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you, i've had some family issues to deal with lately. Anyway, do you honestly think I'd make a statement like that if it weren't true? If I thought you'd be able to disprove it, I wouldn't say it. Also, I have a special insight into the matter...I dont think I can make it any more plain without saying it. This incident did happen. No matter what any WOS coach or player tells you, the Silsbee captains will assure that it did happen. Sorry your guys attitude let you down.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder