WO-S 20 Silsbee 13 Final/Comments

Sad people will taint what was a great game with all the excuses. The better team came out on top' date=' but Silsbee gave them a heck of a fight. WO-S didn't play that poorly, but did seem to shoot themselves in the foot a time or two..Silsbee did as well. I think WO-S should pass the ball more often. A lot of weapons. The one thing that really concerns me about WO-S in the playoffs is depth. I don't doubt their conditioning because I know they are in great game shape, but they are thin on backups. I would imagine several JV players will be suiting up before long to get some varisty reps. before the playoffs roll around.[/quote']

There are a lot of Jv players that probably could have been on varsity a long time ago, but our coaches don't like to bring players up if they aren't gonna get a lot of playing time. They would rather have them stay on Jv until the end of the season so they can keep their conditioning up. I don't think debt will be an issue in the playoffs.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what tam, I'm sorry that you got your pride hurt tonight. Silsbee out played WOS hands down. I sorry that you feel you need to make excusses for the Mustangs. They had a bad game tonight because they played a better team. They got lucky and came away with the win. I think you know that, and thats why your on here with all this we had our worst game crap!!!!!

Just because they don't beat Silsbee 62-0 or 54-0 or w/e they have done' date=' they play a bad game...what does a Silsbee team have to do to get some credit and just say WOS got more than they wanted tonight...I mean jeez, was it that they played bad or did Silsbee just shut them down because i wasn't that impressed with their offense, although their RB's are very slippery, but thats it.[/quote']

I can assure you that this was a very watered down version of Wo-s offense because of the muddy field. They didn't run half of there plays. They really didn't need to since Silsbee couldn't seem to cover the side line pass.

Hold on here do not forget this was a great game. Don't take that away. Both teams played very good. Don't take that away from them eather. Nothing bad intended here, but WO-S is not use to playing close games. WO-S played bad because Silsbee was there. Silsbee lost because WO-S was there. WO-S had two fumbles because Silsbee forced them. Silsbee had 3 INT's because WO-S was there. Like I said before I hated that Silsbee lost. I fill like Silsbee should have won this game. Congrads WO-S. I love them TIGERS!!! But don't make excuses. Both teams were there. Don't take that away from the players.

Better team? We outscored them, outrushed them on yards per carry, outpassed them, made fewer mistakes... where is your case for being the "better team?" Silsbee played well, but I still wouldn't say I thought they were a "very good" team. Good? Yeah.

You know what tam' date=' I'm sorry that you got your pride hurt tonight. Silsbee out played WOS hands down. I sorry that you feel you need to make excusses for the Mustangs. They had a bad game tonight because they played a better team. They got lucky and came away with the win. I think you know that, and thats why your on here with all this we had our worst game crap!!!!![/quote']

How is my pride hurt? we won. lol seems like Silsbee is the ones making all the excuses. bottom line, ya'll couldn't get it done...period. There was no luck involved...that sounds like an excuse. luck? What idiot believes in luck anyway. What ever is meant to happen...happens.

silsbee played a great game and had a few of us nervous for the fist half, but we knew coach t would get things under control. imo this was the worst game wo-s has played in a while and probably one of silsbees best.

i wouldve loved to have heard that speech and a$$ chewing the mustangs got at half time.... :shock:

did anybody else notice coach hooks wasnt on the sideline the first half? i heard he was in the booth resting his leg.

come second half he was down there in the trenches where he belongs..

I'll have to disagree on Silsbee being the better team. They played great and should do well in the playoffs.

They don't believe that themselves Coop. That just makes them feel good cause they didn't lose by 3 touchdowns...I guess they are okay with moral victories in Silsbee. It doesn't help in the record books though. If your the better team, you find a way to win, at home, at homecoming. :shock:

i guess they consider because they had the lead at one time they out played us.... yes they do have a good team, but in no way were we outplayed tonight!!!! they were beat in every aspect of the game! they had a few chances as did we,and like champions do we rose to the occasion...silsbee COULDNT.

I knew this would be a fairly good game. I read where someone had said they had WOS marked on their calander since the Summer. Both teams should represent 3A well this November.

Let me try to put this into perspective.

You lost by seven points. By that, you believe that you were the "better team," even though we averaged more YPC, more passing yards, more points, fewer turnovers, etc.

Last week, you beat Hamshire-Fannett by a mere SIX points. They outrushed you by almost 40 yards and by an average of four more YPC. They outgained you in total yardage.

If they outdid you in stats AND were closer than you were to us, then THEY must be even better than YOU.

If HF is better than Silsbee and Silsbee is better than WO-S, then HF is the default district champ.

Agreed?

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17359244&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=512556&rfi=6

SILSBEE - Forced into a tight game for only the second time this season Friday night, West Orange-Stark relied on the old reliable - defense.

After trailing Silsbee 13-7 at halftime, the Mustangs mustered two second-half touchdowns then preserved their 20-13 District 21-3A victory with a huge interception by Kendrick LeBlanc at the shadow of their goal late in the game.

Playing before a near capacity homecoming crowd of about 6,500 in Tiger Stadium, Silsbee was threatening to at least tie the fourth-ranked Mustangs when quarterback William Harper sneaked for a first down at the 8 yard line.

Three plays later, the Tigers were still at the 8, and Harper attempted a pass to big tight end Jay Mullins on a slant pattern. Mullins was just about to cross the goal line when LeBlanc leaped in front of him and the made the pick as he fell to the turf at the 2 yard line.

"That was a tremendous play by Kendrick LeBlanc," said coach Dan Hooks from the Mustang sideline a few minutes after the game. "At first I thought the tight end was going to catch the ball, but obviously Kendrick had other thoughts.

Advertisement

"Right before the snap, Cornel (Thompson, WO-S' defensive coordinator) started yelling, 'Watch the tight end; watch the tight end.' Well, Kendrick watched him pretty good."

LeBlanc's interception was the Mustangs' third of the night as Jacoby Franks and Seth Thomas also ended Silsbee possessions with picks in the first half.

"Our defense was outstanding, especially in the second half," said Hooks. "That old tradition comes back to you sometimes, and it came back tonight.

"We've won two state championships and played in two other state championship games, and these players are aware of that history and take a lot of pride in it. What happened tonight reminded me of some of those times in the 1980s when our defense would just bow up and refuse to let the other teams get into the end zone.

"Hey, this wasn't the School for the Slow we were playing tonight. Silsbee has a great team, and they (the Tigers) played a great game. If we hadn't have made some of the plays we made, they would've beaten us."

In pitching their second-half shutout, the Mustang defenders held the Tigers to five first downs and 103 total yards. Seventy-eight of the yards came on the fourth-quarter drive that LeBlanc blunted with his key interception.

The Mustangs, who moved to 7-0 on the season and 4-0 in the district, forced Silsbee, now 5-2 and 3-1, to punt on its other two second-half possessions.

After receiving the second-half kickoff, the Mustangs drove 62 yards on nine plays to force a 13-13 tie. The touchdown came on a 3-yard run by Franks, who was subbing for quarterback Andre Bevil at the time.

Earlier in the drive, Bevil completed passes of 15 yards to LeBlanc and 23 yards to Franks, and Franks also reeled off a key 16-yard run to gain a first down at the 15-yard line.

The Mustangs snapped the tie with a five-play, 43-yard drive that began early in the fourth quarter. DePauldrick Garrett sparked it with an 11-yard run, and he completed it with a strong 17-yard run on a draw play.

That was Garrett's second TD of the evening. He scored from 6 yards out early in the first quarter immediately after Dominique Rhodes returned a Silsbee kickoff 88 yards.

Harper turned in a 25-yard run and 23-yard pass in sparking the Tigers to a six-play, 56-yard scoring drive to open the game. Jardell Elam capped it with a 3-yard run.

A 24-yard Harper-to-Donavan Harris pass helped start the Tigers' go-ahead drive midway in the second quarter. They completed it with a 1-yard sneak by Harper with 2:59 remaining in the half.

Guest GoStangs

This was a great game -- both teams played their hearts out tonight. It was like I said earlier this week, Silsbee's strengths matched up well against the weaknesses WOS has, and the Tigers looked very good tonight, especially in the first half, on both sides of the ball. The Stangs made some halftime adjustments and looked better defensively in the second half, and that was the difference in the game. There are no excuses for winning a game -- the Stangs were the better team tonight, and that's all I need to see. Both teams leave the game with no major injuries and will take tonighit's experience well into the postseason.

On another note, it was great seeing the updates here. Thanks for all who kept up with the game and posted the scoring summaries. It's always nice to come back from a game and relive some of what went on.

Lastly, I really appreciated meeting and talking to all the people from Silsbee who post on this board!

That is the dumbest thing i have ever heard....i'm not kidding you, that was dumb!

My point exactly. When you're beat in every stat and on the scoreboard and you claim to be "the better team," it's really dumb. Thanks for validating my point, brother.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder