Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="rapayne" post="743976" timestamp="1263499375"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=62612.msg743963#msg743963 date=1263497765]
there was just a post on here from me...

and I didn't even post it....

yikes.
[/quote]

Something to talking out of bout sides of one's mouth maybe, LOL!
[/quote]

slighty incoherent russ.... care to clarify ??  ;)

Guest GCMPats
Sorry fellas. Time to re-bait the hook.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/content/sports_connection_wylie_2009

Sandifer To Stay At Wylie 
Reported by: David Robinett
Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 @01:23pm CST

Wylie head football coach Hugh Sandifer is staying put.

Coach Sandifer told Superintendent Joey Light today that he is staying at Wylie High School.

Light told Bigcountryhomepage.com Sports today, that he and Sandifer have an agreement in principle on a new deal.

In 24 years as the Bulldogs head coach, Sandifer has led Wylie to 211 wins, 3 appearances in the State Championship game, and 1 State Championship.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="744063" timestamp="1263511633"]
Sorry fellas. Time to re-bait the hook.

http://bigcountryhomepage.com/content/sports_connection_wylie_2009

Sandifer To Stay At Wylie 
Reported by: David Robinett
Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 @01:23pm CST

Wylie head football coach Hugh Sandifer is staying put.

Coach Sandifer told Superintendent Joey Light today that he is staying at Wylie High School.

Light told Bigcountryhomepage.com Sports today, that he and Sandifer have an agreement in principle on a new deal.

In 24 years as the Bulldogs head coach, Sandifer has led Wylie to 211 wins, 3 appearances in the State Championship game, and 1 State Championship.

[/quote]

No surprise,...great guy, but why would he leave Wylie at this point in his life.  I'm sure they offered a nice "bump" to keep him...he deserves it.

BH candidate staying put in Abilene
By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published January 15, 2010
Barbers Hill school officials are giving out little information about how, when and with whom they plan to fill their vacant head coach/athletic director job.

But one coach who won’t be taking the job is Abilene Wylie’s Hugh Sandifer.

The highly successful coach of this past season’s Class 3A state runnerup football team was recruited for the job. He and his wife were flown in for a one-day visit at Barbers Hill last week, but Sandifer has decided to stay in Abilene.

“I’ve got a great job and I think Wylie’s been a great place for myself and my family,” he said Thursday.

Sandifer, who has led Wylie’s Bulldogs to 16 straight playoff appearances and the 2004 Class 3A championship during his 24 years as head coach, wouldn’t say for the record that BH officials offered him a job.

“That’s a great school district,” he said. “We were very flattered they would bring us in and ask us to be part of their school system.

“The Barbers Hill school and system was very intriguing to me, which made a very tough decision for me and my wife to make. My wife and I were very impressed.”

Wylie ISD superintendent Joey Light was concerned enough by Barbers Hill’s overtures to the coach that he and Sandifer were in the process of renegotiating salary and other contract terms Thursday.

Light said Sandifer, who has a record of 211-80-4 at Wylie, had been making $91,000 per year. Former Barbers Hill coach Don Price said he was making $98,800 per year when he left in December.

“We haven’t gotten all the details worked out right now on his salary for next year,” Light said, “but we have an agreement in principle that he’s going to stay.

“There are a lot of variables involved. It’s not just he; it’s his staff and wife, a lot of details.”

Light said he understood that Barbers Hill had not only offered a job to Sandifer but also to Sandifer’s wife, Brenda, who is listed as a teacher at Wylie High School on the district’s Web site.

Barbers Hill superintendent Greg Poole is referring all questions about the athletic director search to assistant superintendent Gayle Woodall.

Woodall said Thursday she was unable to answer any questions about Sandifer – “That’s information I’m not aware of,” she said – or give any timeline for hiring a new athletic director or information on the makeup of the search/selection committee.

“The applications are still open and we’re still accepting applications,” she said.

Barbers Hill ISD has a board meeting scheduled for Monday and any new hirings have to be approved at a board meeting.

“There’s nothing on the board agenda specific to that,” Woodall said. “But, of course, ‘personnel action’ is kind of a standard on there.”

Hiring an athletic director would qualify under that heading.

Sandifer told The Abilene Reporter-News that he didn’t pursue the Barbers Hill job; that the Baytown-area school district recruited him to apply.

“I don’t make it a habit of going to visit places for that reason,” the Wiley coach said. “I’ve been very loyal, and this was just kind of an intriguing deal. I never approached them. Every bit of it came from them to me.”

Light, the Wylie superintendent, did not seem upset that Barbers Hill’s interest in Sandifer was costing his district to compete to keep him.

“It’s just one of those things,” Light said. “You can’t blame somebody for trying to better their situation, and he’s earned that right. All in all, I think it’s been a good process for us. It helps us take stock in what we’ve got.

“Otherwise, we’ll take things for granted. And we don’t want to do that.”

[quote name="BHFAN" post="743808" timestamp="1263486307"]
[quote author=Al Bundy link=topic=62612.msg743799#msg743799 date=1263484797]
I just seen Mike Leach leaving the Valero off of 565
[/quote]

Was he wearing a BH Shirt??  ;D
[/quote]

Yes, He was decked out in blue! Just saw him in the drive thru at McDonalds buying 5 sausage biscuits off the dollar menu. If we hire him maybe he can buy the BIG BREAKFAST next time. You freshmen keep an eye out on campus today!!!! ;D

[quote name="inodis" post="744237" timestamp="1263568073"]
So is Gregory Poole going to resort to hiring his buddies now since his big shot turned him down?  I love y'alls taxes!!!!!
[/quote]

I think BH has other irons in the fire. Poole will find a coach I think all of the buddie comments were from upset Price supporters. Going after someone is West Texas is showing me that BH is looking for a top canidate not a buddy. I think they should look at the coach from Austin College I think his name is Gage or something like that. He would be a good hire IMHO.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="711660" timestamp="1258581517"]
Barbers Hill is one of the highes paying school districts in Texas.  They also have a great  school system.  I'm willing to bet they will have to really good guys to choose from before its all said and done.

They should throw a little money out there and try to get a guy like Andy Evans.

[/quote]

Dang, I called it 2 months ago.  BH should hire me as their hiring firm.  Put me on the payroll.  :D

Guest GCMPats
"Barbers Hill has offered up to $120,000 for the new AD/Football Coach.

Abilene Wylie apparently matched the offer."

quote from David Smoak on smoaky.com

Ok. How much does Dr. Poole make?

I'll do some research, but there has to be some legal issues with that type of salary being offered to a public official. No matter what school district we are talking about.

Seems like price was a good AD but an average football coach.  Every BH game that I saw left me unimpressed with his play calling and his ability to "coach up" his athletes.  I know that a lot of BH fans chalk this up to lack of talent, but a good coach with a good program can make their kids stronger and faster. From there it is simply a matter of coming up with a game plan that makes sense for your team. Price was unable to get it done consistently in 4A.  I do feel like he did a really good job with the overall athletic program, but this is Texas and at the end of the day people care more about football than cross-country.

Guest GCMPats
Ok, it's not the Superintendent's salary that is at issue, it's the high school campus principal's. By law, the head football coach cannot have a BASE salary higher than the campus principal. Now with his   coaches stipend and other "incentives", a HC can NET a higher salary. Just not the base.   Sounds like BH is doing all they can to get the best coach availabe. Probably going to cost some other districts (Wylie)some money in the process. It's fun to follow.

[quote name="texans" post="744919" timestamp="1263671634"]
I wonder if poole is the reason that these coaches are staying put.
[/quote]

I don't see that at all.  Not excepting an offer because your current employer agrees to raise or even match your salary offer is pretty darn common.  Its frustrating if you are doing the hiring, but you have to expect it will happen.  In the business world, it usually happens very quietly but, unfortunately, in the public arena it is usually spectacularly visible.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder