Ozen coach not aware of player's arrest

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After glimpsing through some of these posts it is sad how ignorant so many posters here can be.  I am against drugs and do not support them in any shape or form, but the law is the law.  The kid has a misdemeanor that occured OFF CAMPUS.  There may be an established rules of conduct agreed upon by the team but there is no UIL rule associated with this sort of thing.  For those who think they know education law, educate yourself on Chapter 37 of the student discipline code.  Off campus misdemeanors do not require a school to place a student in any DAEP setting.  Off campus felonies may and in some instances require DAEP.  Local law enforecment agencies are supposed to notify schools of off campus felonies within 3 days many times they are notified even with misdemeanors.  This was not a felony and did not require such especially if it wasn't in the same county.  So before folks throw a coach, administration, or more importantly a student under the bus know your facts.  If anyone has any questions I encourage you to contact Mr. Leslie Smith the director of discipline for TEA.

After glimpsing through some of these posts it is sad how ignorant so many posters here can be.  I am against drugs and do not support them in any shape or form, but the law is the law.  The kid has a misdemeanor that occured OFF CAMPUS.  There may be an established rules of conduct agreed upon by the team but there is no UIL rule associated with this sort of thing.  For those who think they know education law, educate yourself on Chapter 37 of the student discipline code.  Off campus misdemeanors do not require a school to place a student in any DAEP setting.  Off campus felonies may and in some instances require DAEP.  Local law enforecment agencies are supposed to notify schools of off campus felonies within 3 days many times they are notified even with misdemeanors.  This was not a felony and did not require such especially if it wasn't in the same county.  So before folks throw a coach, administration, or more importantly a student under the bus know your facts.  If anyone has any questions I encourage you to contact Mr. Leslie Smith the director of discipline for TEA.

GREAT EDUCATED POST!

thank you somebody who knows what the hell their talking about on this site

Off campus misdemeanors do not require a school to place a student in any DAEP setting.

Do kids who commit even something as little as a misdemeanor drug charge off campus get nothing or not required to get anything from the school?  Nothing happens?

Local law enforecment agencies are supposed to notify schools of off campus felonies within 3 days many times they are notified even with misdemeanors.  This was not a felony and did not require such especially if it wasn't in the same county.

So where they or weren't they notified of this instance?  If they were did he get any kind of suspension at all?  If he did get some kind of suspension how was he allowed to play?

I have no problem with someone throwing facts out there but there are questions I wish some people would answer.  No one owes that too me but it would be nice to know.

Again, my big deal is that I just don't see how a 2 game suspension of a kid where EVERYONE knows the games don't matter, and allowing him to come back to the playoffs teaches this kid a darn thing.  He basically is being told that if your a good enough athlete then things will work out.  A lesser athlete gets thrown off the team and suspended immediately, but he doesn't, just want to know why.

Off campus misdemeanors do not require a school to place a student in any DAEP setting.

Do kids who commit even something as little as a misdemeanor drug charge off campus get nothing or not required to get anything from the school?  Nothing happens?

Local law enforecment agencies are supposed to notify schools of off campus felonies within 3 days many times they are notified even with misdemeanors.  This was not a felony and did not require such especially if it wasn't in the same county.

So where they or weren't they notified of this instance?  If they were did he get any kind of suspension at all?  If he did get some kind of suspension how was he allowed to play?

I have no problem with someone throwing facts out there but there are questions I wish some people would answer.  No one owes that too me but it would be nice to know.

Again, my big deal is that I just don't see how a 2 game suspension of a kid where EVERYONE knows the games don't matter, and allowing him to come back to the playoffs teaches this kid a darn thing.  He basically is being told that if your a good enough athlete then things will work out.  A lesser athlete gets thrown off the team and suspended immediately, but he doesn't, just want to know why.

why should he get suspended from school if he wasnt at school when the incident occurred? thats like if you got caught fighting at your house you wouldnt have to get suspended too

It had nothing to do with school why should he be punished at school? I didn't take the trash out of my kitchen the other day, maybe I should be forced to help the janitors for a while.

Some of you guys make it sound like he got caught with an atomic bomb instead of a little canabis. Besides how many of you'll can honestly say you never smoked a reefer or two? (If you grew up in the 70's don't even bother answering that we already know you did lol)

It had nothing to do with school why should he be punished at school? I didn't take the trash out of my kitchen the other day, maybe I should be forced to help the janitors for a while.

Some of you guys make it sound like he got caught with an atomic bomb instead of a little canabis. Besides how many of you'll can honestly say you never smoked a reefer or two? (If you grew up in the 70's don't even bother answering that we already know you did lol)

buc we dont agree on alot of things but this is exactly what ive been trying to get through these people heads it didnt occur at school so IMO the school shouldnt get involved

To answer the question...no the school does not have to suspend or do anything to this student according to the law.  Does the BISD district take it upon themselves to place any student in DAEP for commiting off campus misdemeanors?  I assure you every weekend there are many students caught by police violating laws.  look no further than the juvenile justice department at the courthouse.  Saying that if there is an athletic/campus/team policy then that is above and beyond what is required by law.  It is very likely that the coach was unaware of this incident if the kid(s) didn't talk.  Saveat has done a good job this year considering the circumstances he has been under.  I find it hard to believe he is covering anything up.  

buc we dont agree on alot of things but this is exactly what ive been trying to get through these people heads it didnt occur at school so IMO the school shouldnt get involved

Haha first time for everything.

I understand all this about law and education laws and due process. I am glad Tiger90 has posted this info. It does help others to understand.

My whole beef about this incident is that Saveat claims he did not know. I agree that he probably did not know from the beginning but he was informed of the arrest BEFORE Tuesday night's game against Central yet he allowed Jefferson to play in that game. Now the school district wants to suspend him for these final two games after they have clinched the district title and these two games are meaningless. That's what stinks to high heaven.

I agree, if the misdemeanor doesn't warrent school suspension, then why suspend him at all? It just looks like they are trying to save face. If they have a school policy that supports school suspension, then why wasn't he suspended for the Central game when all parties knew about it? I think we all know the answer to that.

2.gif      define "honestly"  ::)

I understand all this about law and education laws and due process. I am glad Tiger90 has posted this info. It does help others to understand.

My whole beef about this incident is that Saveat claims he did not know. I agree that he probably did not know from the beginning but he was informed of the arrest BEFORE Tuesday night's game against Central yet he allowed Jefferson to play in that game. Now the school district wants to suspend him for these final two games after they have clinched the district title and these two games are meaningless. That's what stinks to high heaven.

I agree, if the misdemeanor doesn't warrent school suspension, then why suspend him at all? It just looks like they are trying to save face. If they have a school policy that supports school suspension, then why wasn't he suspended for the Central game when all parties knew about it? I think we all know the answer to that.

Forget about what did or didn't happen in the past few weeks and whether or not the school policy says anything or not, that's what my big issue was with everything.  It's so obvious what went on here before the Central game and it's sickening to know that a coach and a program gets away with crap like that and is willing to do it. At some point your own personal morals have to kick in and apparently that didn't happen here.

Wonder how long it will take him to screw up at Baylor and lose his scholarship?  He probably didn't learn a lesson during his high school years so we'll be hearing about him on the news along with the rest of the nation.  But of course it will be someone else's fault because he can't be held accountable for his own actions, not this day and age!! 

I really appreciate you posting this and I'll leave it at that...

Wonder how long it will take him to screw up at Baylor and lose his scholarship?  He probably didn't learn a lesson during his high school years so we'll be hearing about him on the news along with the rest of the nation.  But of course it will be someone else's fault because he can't be held accountable for his own actions, not this day and age!! 

This just sickens me to read comments like this about a KID..I mean he is just a KID. Sounds like your bitter that you didnt get your chance to recieve that DODGEBALL scholarship to that Junior College when you graduated.. Like the kids say you must be a HATER...

Guest nostradamus

Tiger90,

Thank you for your insight.  I said some things yesterday that were incorrect.  I have my master's in administration (though I am not a practicing administrator) and was going off my memory and what I had spoken to some others about.  However, I spoke to our campus principal this morning.  I gave him the scenario as if it were one of our student athletes.  This is what he told me would happen in our school:

-The district is not required to take any action and would not since it happened more than 300 feet from the school campus.

-However, the athletic department would be REQUIRED to act on it because this type of act is outlined in our athletic policy manual (something that I believe all school districts have)

-In our athletic manual, it states that any misdemeanor REQUIRES that student athlete to be removed from ALL athletics immediately for one calendar year and cannot be reinstated until certain requirements have been met.

This just sickens me to read comments like this about a KID..I mean he is just a KID. Sounds like your bitter that you didnt get your chance to recieve that DODGEBALL scholarship to that Junior College when you graduated.. Like the kids say you must be a HATER...

The truth hurts, get a helmet.  :D

Fruitcity, you played dodgeball?!  :o

Tiger90,

Thank you for your insight.  I said some things yesterday that were incorrect.  I have my master's in administration (though I am not a practicing administrator) and was going off my memory and what I had spoken to some others about.  However, I spoke to our campus principal this morning.  I gave him the scenario as if it were one of our student athletes.  This is what he told me would happen in our school:

-The district is not required to take any action and would not since it happened more than 300 feet from the school campus.

-However, the athletic department would be REQUIRED to act on it because this type of act is outlined in our athletic policy manual (something that I believe all school districts have)

-In our athletic manual, it states that any misdemeanor REQUIRES that student athlete to be removed from ALL athletics immediately for one calendar year and cannot be reinstated until certain requirements have been met.

I would be interested to know if the BISD athletic policy is like this.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder