WO-S Bus Transportation voted down

WO-S 89

slam14:  the president has been saying for a long time,  if you see a problem, "go help fix it."  this is the "NEW AMERICAN WAY"  of getting things done in these hard times.  one word  "VOLUNTEER"

That's new? How else do you deal with problems? I don't think I needed the president for that one.

I thought Obama preached "Spreading The Wealth".  With that logic maybe another richer school district could provide transportation     ;D

The crazy thing is the school district has plenty of money. The State makes us give it away to poorer school districts and now we have a 2 mill. deficit. I'm not a math major but something doesn't add up.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

slam14:  the president has been saying for a long time,  if you see a problem, "go help fix it."  this is the "NEW AMERICAN WAY"  of getting things done in these hard times.  one word  "VOLUNTEER"

That's new? How else do you deal with problems? I don't think I needed the president for that one.

I thought Obama preached "Spreading The Wealth".  With that logic maybe another richer school district could provide transportation     ;D

The crazy thing is the school district has plenty of money. The State makes us give it away to poorer school districts and now we have a 2 mill. deficit. I'm not a math major but something doesn't add up.

I'm not sure of all the specifics of the "Robinhood Act", but I think that has to do with budget and spending when it first started.  I think (heavy on the think) that you had to have a plan to use the money or portions would be sent to less tax based school districts.  Many schools (Evadale comes to mind) used money to build new facilities like their gym. (awesome place  :o)  Again, I don't know the specifics, but I thought it was a "use it or lose it" type thing...I must be off somewhere.

Sure don't.

I work in a school district in Houston, we do not provide bussing after practices, the parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, are involved enough in their their children's' lives to come pick them up at the appropriate time.  The safety argument is entirely weak, Orange is much safer than Houston, and there are plenty of people who will give your child a lift home no body will ever end up walking home.  WOCCISD is not a "rich" district as once thought of decades ago, times have changed, economies, chemical row, etc.  The fact of the matter is that this is all about wants and needs and when you are cutting a budget, bussing after practices is a WANT not a need.  Educating students and spending the money on programs to better educate them to pass the the TAKS test is a NEED.  I would like to see parents come to the board meetings and want to discuss their child's education and why he or she is failing the TAKS and SATs.  If you do not like being bussed then go to another school district who will bus them home, wait, there are NO OTHER districts who bus children home after practice; it's superfluous, ridiculous, and absolutely discusting to me that so many people are outraged by such petty issues.  It is good to be OUTRAGED about your child's education, not a bussing issue, let's fight for them to get tutorial programs and for the parents to work one on one with their precious children.  Odds are 0.1% that a child will make a living being a professional sports player.  Basically, there are no parents who care, and the ones who do care, wind up caring about the wrong things, sports is an extra curricular ACTIVITY, a reward, for doing well in school, passing classes, and hopefully passing TAKS.  Just like with everything else in this tumultuous world what is backwards is now forwards, and what was forwards is now backwards, and it is time to deconstruct, reconstruct, and construct your thinking. Education is first, education changes the world. Even in a low SES district, the one I work in, we have many exemplary schools, it can be done. 

I work in a school district in Houston, we do not provide bussing after practices, the parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, are involved enough in their their children's' lives to come pick them up at the appropriate time.  The safety argument is entirely weak, Orange is much safer than Houston, and there are plenty of people who will give your child a lift home no body will ever end up walking home.  WOCCISD is not a "rich" district as once thought of decades ago, times have changed, economies, chemical row, etc.  The fact of the matter is that this is all about wants and needs and when you are cutting a budget, bussing after practices is a WANT not a need.  Educating students and spending the money on programs to better educate them to pass the the TAKS test is a NEED.  I would like to see parents come to the board meetings and want to discuss their child's education and why he or she is failing the TAKS and SATs.  If you do not like being bussed then go to another school district who will bus them home, wait, there are NO OTHER districts who bus children home after practice; it's superfluous, ridiculous, and absolutely discusting to me that so many people are outraged by such petty issues.  It is good to be OUTRAGED about your child's education, not a bussing issue, let's fight for them to get tutorial programs and for the parents to work one on one with their precious children.  Odds are 0.1% that a child will make a living being a professional sports player.  Basically, there are no parents who care, and the ones who do care, wind up caring about the wrong things, sports is an extra curricular ACTIVITY, a reward, for doing well in school, passing classes, and hopefully passing TAKS.  Just like with everything else in this tumultuous world what is backwards is now forwards, and what was forwards is now backwards, and it is time to deconstruct, reconstruct, and construct your thinking. Education is first, education changes the world. Even in a low SES district, the one I work in, we have many exemplary schools, it can be done. 

This just sums it all up. Great post!!

I do agree with the end of this statement that even low SES district can succeed and be exemplary.  I think the WOS school board needs to get out of the board room and into the schools and see exactly what kind of teaching and learning is going on at the middle and high schools and quit blaming, pointing fingers and trying to find more ways to punish their kids for not being successful.  Instead they should be finding positive ways to motivate them.  As far as the bussing issue, each school district is ran differently and has different needs.  Whether or not any other school provides rides home for students from extracurricular activities is irrelevant.  Any one could think of a million reasons why WOS shouldn't bus their kids home, but what is comes down to is they have done it for many years and many families have counted on it.  This obviously was a need that leaders years ago felt was vital for WOS and their students, so I think it should continue.  As far as the district being in debt, that is the school boards job to look at what got them there and fix it or undo it.  Taking away $16,000 for busing students won't solve the kind of debt problems they have.  

Well maybe the kids in Orange don't have anyone to pick them up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way this will probably get passed next time anyway and put back in.

Ending this bus program will not be the end all for the WOS athletic program. They will find a way to get the kids home.

I was fortunate to have my own car when I was in high school, but alot of my teammates did not. But the ones that did, like myself, took our teammates home and it did not matter of race, religion, or social status either.

My opinion...this pretty much sums up what the school board thinks, but is afraid to say out loud in front of an opposing crowd at these meetings. 

Some seem to think this issue will be resolved and reversed back to "business as usual" soon...I don't get that feeling.  If the school board TRUELY believes they are making the right decisions for the district, then they stand to lose even more respect by wavering in their decision making.  I don't think the buses will run.

Lets see why would a school teacher in Houston care about our transportation issue?  Well anyway atleast your not one of those very out of touch with reality and very USELESS board members!  I don't think that anyone argues that WOS is one of the few schools that gets bussed from activities, but we are saying that this is a need here and has been a need for some time!  Whose fault is it that these kids aren't prepared to take these tests?  How many times have some of these campuses been unacceptable?  What personnel changes have been made at these unacceptable campuses?  Who is held accountable?  What is going on here has very little to do with anything else but a few childlike board members with personal issues with certain people in the district and they are using what LITTLE power they have to get back at these people!  wosUTRICEalum, It does bother me that you don't think a parent should be concerned about the safety of their child and only the education.  Lets see here you call yourself wosUTRICEalum, I think one of our board members is a UT and RICE alum!  I will say this wosUTRICEalum I do think that you should be thankful that you are teaching in Houston and not one of those Pathetic people that call themselves caring about the future of our kids and district!  Lets see isn't it the duty of a board member to keep the district out of debt?  How did WOS get to be all the sudden get in 2.8 million dollars of debt?  Who is responsible for that?  Who is being held accountable?  You can't blame everything on the kids or Coach Hooks!  As a matter of fact if Coach Hooks would have only won 30% of his games like some of WOS schools passing 30% of the TAKS, then he would be fired!  Who is held accountable by these genius board members?  wosUTRICEalum just remember this, what happens in the dark will come to the light!  

Lets see why would a school teacher in Houston care about our transportation issue?  Well anyway atleast your not one of those very out of touch with reality and very USELESS board members!  I don't think that anyone argues that WOS is one of the few schools that gets bussed from activities, but we are saying that this is a need here and has been a need for some time!  Whose fault is it that these kids aren't prepared to take these tests?  How many times have some of these campuses been unacceptable?  What personnel changes have been made at these unacceptable campuses?  Who is held accountable?  What is going on here has very little to do with anthing else but a few childlike board members with personal issues with certain people in the district and they are using what LITTLE power they have to get back at these people!  wosUTRICEalum, It does bother me that you don't think a parent should be concerned about the safety of their child and only the education.  Lets see here you call yourself wosUTRICEalum, I think one of our board members is a UT and RICE alum!  I will say this wosUTRICEalum you are a I do think that you should be thankful that you are teaching in Houston and not one of those Pathetic people that call themselves caring about the future of our kids and district!  Lets see isn't it the duty of a board member to keep the district out of debt?  How did WOS get to be all the sudden get in 2.8 million dollars of debt?  Who is responsible for that?  Who is being held accountable?  You can't blame everything on the kids or Coach Hooks!  As a matter of fact if Coach Hooks would have only won 30% of his games like some of WOS schools passing 30% of the TAKS, then he would be fired!  Who is held accountable by these genius board members?  wosUTRICEalum just remember this, what happens in the dark will come to the light!  

Coop thinks it is the best post. Can't be with the accusation of this poster being a board member. wosUTRICEalum works for the Galena Park school district, this is fact.

:D No. wos4ever is the best post on the thread.

But, his or her post has a wrongful accusation in it. Can't be the best. ;D

Didn't the poster say he worked in Houston?  Does the poster not know the difference between Galena Park and Houston?  Does the poster not know where they work?

I'm not sure of all the specifics of the "Robinhood Act", but I think that has to do with budget and spending when it first started.  I think (heavy on the think) that you had to have a plan to use the money or portions would be sent to less tax based school districts.  Many schools (Evadale comes to mind) used money to build new facilities like their gym. (awesome place  :o)  Again, I don't know the specifics, but I thought it was a "use it or lose it" type thing...I must be off somewhere.

I don't know the specifics either but I think (heavy on think) you are wrong about that because anyone can find a reason to use it. Just as you said, build new schools and better facilities.

Thanks for your opinion but you seem to have lost touch with WOS. We are not spending money on getting better teachers. We stick with what we have and continue to be low performing. We do have tutorials and the athletes do attend them. If my any of my children had a problem in school you can bet I would be there. If they were having trouble with the TAKS you can bet I would be there.

BTW there are other districts that bus. Newton is just up the street and they bus. They also bus in Beaumont.

Lets see why would a school teacher in Houston care about our transportation issue?  Well anyway atleast your not one of those very out of touch with reality and very USELESS board members!  I don't think that anyone argues that WOS is one of the few schools that gets bussed from activities, but we are saying that this is a need here and has been a need for some time!  Whose fault is it that these kids aren't prepared to take these tests?  How many times have some of these campuses been unacceptable?  What personnel changes have been made at these unacceptable campuses?  Who is held accountable?  What is going on here has very little to do with anthing else but a few childlike board members with personal issues with certain people in the district and they are using what LITTLE power they have to get back at these people!  wosUTRICEalum, It does bother me that you don't think a parent should be concerned about the safety of their child and only the education.  Lets see here you call yourself wosUTRICEalum, I think one of our board members is a UT and RICE alum!  I will say this wosUTRICEalum you are a I do think that you should be thankful that you are teaching in Houston and not one of those Pathetic people that call themselves caring about the future of our kids and district!  Lets see isn't it the duty of a board member to keep the district out of debt?  How did WOS get to be all the sudden get in 2.8 million dollars of debt?  Who is responsible for that?  Who is being held accountable?  You can't blame everything on the kids or Coach Hooks!  As a matter of fact if Coach Hooks would have only won 30% of his games like some of WOS schools passing 30% of the TAKS, then he would be fired!  Who is held accountable by these genius board members?  wosUTRICEalum just remember this, what happens in the dark will come to the light!  

Coop thinks it is the best post. Can't be with the accusation of this poster being a board member. wosUTRICEalum works for the Galena Park school district, this is fact.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!! There are intelligent people who post on here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST!!! There are intelligent people who post on here.

Thats a nice way of calling everyone else STUPID!     >:(

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder