WO-S Bus Transportation voted down

WO-S 89

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

March or April is the next Election i believe, Lord i can't wait!

You first got to live in the school district to vote in this one, grad. ;) ::)

Oh and this BS about having to pass a Taks test to participate in after school activities..Give me a freaking break!!

Oh and this BS about having to pass a Taks test to participate in after school activities..Give me a freaking break!!

someone is trying to destroy wo-s athletics

Here's some food for thought; some are original ideas and others have been mentioned on these threads by others.

Many posters from other districts have given their opinion on the subject. How many of them are from districts that are demographically 70% economically disadvantaged?

With the mentality of holding the parents responsible for their own children the district could save tons of money by cutting back on the breakfast and lunch programs, before and after school tutorials, all out of district bussing, etc. I think you get the picture.

Much of the area was flooded. Has anyone considered that some may have lost their vehicles to flooding, not to mention the homes?

Many posters have said the district is not required to provided the transportation. The overall success of any district is determined by how far they are willing to go beyond the minimum requirements.

Some have said extra curricular activies are a choice and and not as important as the required programs while others have stated that most will not go on to play professional sports. In WOS's case its the EC activities and sports that may keep them in school until graduation. That makes it extremely valuable.

If the district felt the need to reduce spending in the athletic area, why not consult with the very successful ATHLETIC DIRECTOR concerning his ideas of where to cut in athletics.

Why disrupt, by far, the most successful WOS program. Why not acknowledge the passionate support of the issue. Lord knows WOS need as many supporters as they can get during their rocky road. (just as they did during the bond election)

Why just eliminate the transportation with out alternate ways to keep it going? The district can purchase a very good used surplus bus for under $3000, require the programs that need transportation to have an employee acquire a class C licence and do the driving them selves. The only annual cost would be insurance, fuel and routine maintenance. Problem solved. Even this option could be stomached if the district was working toward the big deficit solution.

I feel quite certain that the WOS loyals would probably have been more receptive to the transportation loss if would have been presented as part of district wide $500,000 or so reduction plan to address some of the deficit.

Some have said they have a $2,000,000 deficit and they must start somewhere to start chipping away. CHIPPING away is not going to get it.

Everyone wants answers and solutions to the budget problems. It took them two months to figure out their transportation cost was actually $16,000 and not $25,000. Not a good sign when your looking for a $2,000,000 answer.

Things are uncertain right now but hang in there. It will all work out.

I smell another round table on TV....Buses and Tests! :o

Probably not.....Some schools really can't afford to start the bus after school programs. Look at the size of some the districts. They couldn't afford to kids all over creation, and they are having enough playing for fuel for regular bus runs. Newton still carries their kids home, and take a look at a map of the district. It is pretty darn big.

Most schools would never tie the TAKS to playing ball.....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012

• That was an awesome video!  I feel so proud of these young men.  They proved the doubters wrong.  Bellville should be proud, too.  I know it didn't end like they had hoped, but we've been there, so we can definitely empathize with them.  Great season, Brahmas!
    • Meh.. Everyone knows this. The kid that got injured wasn't lifting weights. Supposedly he was hit with a helmet in his elbow. In my opinion the kid shouldn't have been put in that situation. AD should've told the Varsity baseball players to sit that one out. I have no issues with the lifting or conditioning. However, anytime helmets/pads are on there is a higher risk of injury. This AD showed a total lack of respect for HIS baseball program. 
    • Maybe.. however..  Many athletic director / head football coach have lost their job despite the athletic program as a whole being successful.. if the football team struggles.  On the other hand, when football teams are doing great but the rest of the program stinks.. AD/HFC still keeps their job. WOS.  Newton. .. programs as a whole were fairly weak during those many years of football power and very few people even knew it.  Or cared. Yet, AD/HFC kept their jobs for years. Meanwhile, I remember an AD/HFC at Barbers Hill lost his job after every program in the school won district championships and even had several team sports (baseball, softball, girls hoops, etc.) making runs at state.  But the football team was mediocre.  Fired. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that perception is reality.  And the perception is that your athletic program can suck as long as football wins.. it doesn't matter how strong the athletic program is if football sucks. 
    • 5A Bi-District Baseball: Friendswood vs. Nederland -Game 1: Thursday (May 2): 6:30pm -Game 2: Friday (May 3): 6:30pm -Game 3 (If Needed): Saturday (May 4): 12pm *All games at Goose Creek Memorial HS*
    • Baseball mafia can cry all they want but when the talent isn’t there it ain’t there lol
  • Topics