WO-S 89

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

School board deadlocked on transportation cuts

Tommy Mann, Jr.

The Orange Leader

Sometimes one vote can make all of the difference.

The Board of Trustees for the West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District concluded Tuesday's school board meeting with no change to a previous decision to cut a transportation program for students following extra-curricular activities.

School board members reached a 3-to-3 stalemate following a vote on the motion to rescind the November decision and continue the transportation program through the end of the year.

School board member Nancy Byers, who asked fellow school board members during December's meeting to place this topic on the January agenda, was absent from Tuesday night's meeting.

Because the board reached a 3-to-3 stalemate, a majority decision was not reached and the motion failed.

On Nov. 24, 2008, the West Orange-Cove CISD Board of Trustees voted 6 to 1 to cut the district's after hours transportation program for students participating in sports and other extra-curricular activities.

This move took effect on Jan. 1 and would affect students in the school district which rely on this special transportation to get home following athletic practices, games, band contests and other UIL sanctioned events.

According to information provided by First Student and Laidlaw Transportation, the district is expected to save more than $25,800. However, according to information provided by Dan Hooks, West Orange-Cove CISD athletic director, the financial savings would be approximately $9,300.

The board members are considering many avenues to save money as the district is in the middle of a difficult financial situation as it is currently in a $1.5 million budget deficit.

A standing room only crowd listened in anticipation as the board and members of the audience debated the situation openly.

Rev. Raymond Young of Greater St. Paul Fellowship Christian Church was one of the many patrons who signed up to address the board members during the public comment portion of the meeting.

"This program was created 30 plus years ago with the safety of children in mind," Young said. "But the board reached a decision in November which was based on a financial deficit and not the needs of the children."

Young urged the board members to consider how such a decision would affect them and their children if they were in this situation.

"This small financial cut won't just help the district," Young added. "But it will hurt students. We are afraid it won't stop here if not reversed tonight."

Young reminded board members the community stood by it when seeking approval for the previous bond election which is what led to the current construction of a new elementary school.

"We were there for you when you wanted a new school," Young said. "Now we want you to be there for us."

Another concerned citizen and West Orange-Stark Mustang supporter, Skip Moore, also spoke to the school board.

He said many parents are unable to transport their children to and from school since Hurricane Ike, and also suggested a true accounting of the number of students who are being affected by this decision should be reached.

Moore also said the district could expect to see an increase in the number of student withdrawals and the drop out rate because of November's decision to cut extra-curricular transportation.

"A lot of information has been tossed out there since the November meeting," said Pete Amy, school board president. "Some of it is correct, and some is not."

Amy then proceeded to present the actual cost of transporting students home following extra-curricular activities from the 2007-2008 school year, which was $16,356. This amount is approximately $9,500 less than the original figure provided by First Student for this year, but approximately $7,000 more than the amount provided by the athletics department.

"Is that figure astronomical enough to keep the district from taking our kids home," said Hooks, who was also in attendance.

One district resident in attendance, Russ Holt, said he had already spoke via telephone with Dr. Collins and confirmed he would indeed withdraw his children out of the West Orange-Cove school district if the transportation issue remained as is.

"We are operating at a $1.5 million deficit, and expect to operate at a $1.5 million to $2 million deficit next school year," Amy responded to the now vocal audience. "We have to start somewhere."

This comment provoked a strong reaction from the audience, as well as Hooks.

""Why did you start with me?" Hooks added. "It's not right and it's not fair to do this to the kids. Cut people if you have to but don't do this to the kids.

"All I want you to tell me is what is the real motive behind this," Hooks continued. "It can't be busing or the students. You know and I know you will have to cut people to save the amount of money you need."

Hooks plead with board members to reconsider the decision they made in November and wait until the end of the year to consider such action, which would allow all concerned parties to have time to gather information to make an informed decision.

"We need to make a concerted effort to balance our budget," Amy said. "And, no matter what happens, not everyone will be happy."

Dr. Mary Fontenot Hardin made the motion, which was seconded by Ricky Jacobs, to rescind the November vote and re-institute the previous policy of busing students home following extra-curricular activities until the end of the current school year when the matter could again be addressed.

Voting to rescind the decision were Amy, Jacobs and Hardin, while board members Harry Barclay, Vincent Bottley and Eric Mitchell voted against changing the previous decision.

Although the motion failed for lack of a majority vote, the matter could reappear on a future school board agenda at the request of any board member.

$16,000 sounds awfull high.

Getting a cab for everyone has to be less expensive.

Even if that is the number it is such a small portion of a 23 million dollar budget.

0.069%....if my math is right....

Actually it's .0069% to put this in perspective this is what one percent looks like .01 or 1% of 23 million is $230,000.

$16,000 sounds awfull high.

Getting a cab for everyone has to be less expensive.

Even if that is the number it is such a small portion of a 23 million dollar budget.

0.069%....if my math is right....

Actually it's .0069% to put this in perspective this is what one percent looks like .01 or 1% of 23 million is $230,000.

I see where I didn't move a zero. It still is tiny, either way....

I have got a question. If Dan Ray is adament about keeping the bus transportation going, then why don't he suggest to the board that he will take a $15,000 cut in pay in order to help fund the program. Like he said, it is for the kids, cut people instead. ::)

You just can't help yourself can you?

I know the busing issue was the BIG topic at hand last night, but did the board express any of their "other" ideas of how they were going to try to offset a $2 million dollar deficit?  Building new schools and projecting a $2 million deficit to the existing budget doesn't sound like a great plan for the future.  ???  Was the new elementry part of the bond?

I know the busing issue was the BIG topic at hand last night, but did the board express any of their "other" ideas of how they were going to try to offset a $2 million dollar deficit?  Building new schools and projecting a $2 million deficit to the existing budget doesn't sound like a great plan for the future.   ???   Was the new elementry part of the bond?

Yes the new school will be paid for with bond money. However they never let us know about a deficit when they asked us for our money (to pass a bond). The same people that were in that room last night are part of a group of people that worked to get a bond passed. I think the outcome may have been different had we known all the facts instead of being force fed what they wanted to feed us. Had I known we were in such financial difficulties when I voted for the bond I may have voted differently. Had I know the board members were going to take away the busing I may have voted differently at election time.

It seems to me that they are being reactive instead of being proactive. Surely they could see this coming since we had a 1.5 million dollar deficit last year and projecting a 1.5 - 2 million this year. My guess is had they been proactive then the bond would have never passed because the public would have known about all of the problems. Now they are trying to play catch up $16000 at a time. Which will only take 125 years to get back on track by cutting the buses and that doesn't include interest. Good luck you made this bed now sleep in it.

The major problem that you are facing is the fact that you want want want but do not want to pay more to get it. WOC is having financial issue and they have to make cuts... Athletics and transportation to and from practices are not required of academic institutions... If you do not want to lose this service the citizens must pay for it... IE raise taxes to overcome that 2 million dollar deficit... PUT UP OR SHUT UP..

The major problem that you are facing is the fact that you want want want but do not want to pay more to get it. WOC is having financial issue and they have to make cuts... Athletics and transportation to and from practices are not required of academic institutions... If you do not want to lose this service the citizens must pay for it... IE raise taxes to overcome that 2 million dollar deficit... PUT UP OR SHUT UP..

We have put up. We just passed a huge bond. Did it ever occur to you that there are other options? When you see this coming being proactive and heading the problem off. Spending the money we do spend a little more wisely. If only life were as simple as your post. The people in this district have put up and now we aren't going to shut up.

Well, proactivity is not something our government is good at. .. This is exactly what happens when you rely on the government to do something that the parents should be doing... People need to take responsibility for their own.... IT IS THAT SIMPLE... GOVT IS NOT GOOD AT BEING PROACTIVE...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012