PNG vs SOC State Championship Game Thread/Post updates here

Reagan

Who wins?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Port Neches-Groves
    • South Oak Cliff

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2023 at 05:00 PM

8 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

I'm not the world's biggest fan of open enrollment myself, but we can thank the Texas legislature for that along with charter schools et al..it is what it is and the UIL does the best they can with the resources alloted. The kids that play for SOC are all eligible under UIL rules, the open enrollment/recruiting conversation to me is just as moot IMO as SOC people complaining about some close calls that didnt go their way

I’m not arguing they aren’t eligible. I’d just like to understand why we don’t recruit as openly as they do. Why can’t png just declare itself and open enrollment school and build a super team? 

On 12/17/2023 at 2:02 PM, Rez Ipsa said:

I think there should be a rule on that. It’s evidencing an intention to interfere with the referee’s administration of the game. It’s saying, “We intend to cheat and we are taking action to obstruct the referees’ ability to observe and punish our cheating.” 

I mean you cant really do that because what if the other team wears white or has the same team colors as you? Refs dont need to be fashion police IMO

1 minute ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I’m not arguing they aren’t eligible. I’d just like to understand why we don’t recruit as openly as they do. Why can’t png just declare itself and open enrollment school and build a super team? 

Because thats an ISD decision, PNG could tomorrow go open enrollment if they choose to. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Because thats an ISD decision, PNG could tomorrow go open enrollment if they choose to. 

There are a lot more open enrollment ISDs than you think that are out there as well....Dallas ISD is far from unique in that regard

I do believe TX should consider doing like Louisiana and creating classifications and seperating out open enrollment ISD's vs non-open enrollment ISD's 

3 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

I mean you cant really do that because what if the other team wears white or has the same team colors as you? Refs dont need to be fashion police IMO

I’d be ok with it happening because of the incidental fact that two teams have similar or same colors. It’s more fishy when it’s obviously not your colors and the deliberate choice is based on what the other team is wearing. It’s purposeful interference with the referees. The only reason to do it is if you’re planning to hold AND to obstruct the refs’ view of the penalty. If that’s ok, why not also shine a light in the refs’ eyes so they can’t see? (An admittedly more extreme example, but both are in the same spirit of interference with the administration of the game). 

1 minute ago, Matthew328 said:

There are a lot more open enrollment ISDs than you think that are out there as well....Dallas ISD is far from unique in that regard

I do believe TX should consider doing like Louisiana and creating classifications and seperating out open enrollment ISD's vs non-open enrollment ISD's 

I think Vidor is open enrollment , proving it’s not a magic button for being world beaters. 

1 hour ago, Matthew328 said:

I guess refresh my memory on the term it’s been a while…. But A “Magnet” School wasn’t there a rule on that they have to compete a higher level or something? Is that still a thing or no? I’m trying to refresh my memory on it all

35 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

I guess refresh my memory on the term it’s been a while…. But A “Magnet” School wasn’t there a rule on that they have to compete a higher level or something? Is that still a thing or no? I’m trying to refresh my memory on it all

Beaumont Central was a magnet school FWIW. I think Ozen was too. 🤷🏾‍♂️

1 minute ago, navydawg31 said:

Yeah I remember they was, but some loophole where they didn’t have to go up or something. There was a long thread on that years ago about it on here… willing to bet it hit over 30 pages. 

Probably before a couple server crashes that deleted some threads, wish we could get those back. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Probably before a couple server crashes that deleted some threads, wish we could get those back. 

Oh yeah no doubt, there was classics ones… (Crosby Vidor playoff game always comes to mind lol) and some of the posters that have passed on, we have had some characters over the years on this board.  

2 hours ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I’d be ok with it happening because of the incidental fact that two teams have similar or same colors. It’s more fishy when it’s obviously not your colors and the deliberate choice is based on what the other team is wearing. It’s purposeful interference with the referees. The only reason to do it is if you’re planning to hold AND to obstruct the refs’ view of the penalty. If that’s ok, why not also shine a light in the refs’ eyes so they can’t see? (An admittedly more extreme example, but both are in the same spirit of interference with the administration of the game). 

Kids do it for instagram etc....its not a competitive thing its a fashion/disrespect thing that started in peewee ball and made its way to HS

57 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

That used to be a rule but I dont believe it is any longer

13 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

This is the hidden content, please

This is incredible. They had every opportunity to look at who was on the ref crew, and approved that crew anyway. How can there have been a lack of transparency when the ref bios were public information?

Also, that ref only even threw one flag the whole game, and that wasn’t the call they’re complaining about. That ref has no children attending PNG, which is the only violation possible. Wasn’t the ref crew from the Dallas area last year?

Not to mention, this sends the worst possible message to the students : That there’s no such thing as graceful defeat, that every disappointment must be appealed, that every failure is a robbery instead of just a failure.  

4 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

This is incredible. They had every opportunity to look at who was on the ref crew, and approved that crew anyway. How can there have been a lack of transparency when the ref bios were public information?

Also, that ref only even threw one flag the whole game, and that wasn’t the call they’re complaining about. That ref has no children attending PNG, which is the only violation possible. Wasn’t the ref crew from the Dallas area last year?

Not to mention, this sends the worst possible message to the students : That there’s no such thing as graceful defeat, that every disappointment must be appealed, that every failure is a robbery instead of just a failure.  

The referee crew last year was a Fort Worth crew...SOC uses Dallas

Contrary to popular belief Fort Worth is its own thing