Baytown Goose Creek Memorial (0) @ Crosby (61) - FINAL

jdawg03

Game Info:

Start: Friday, November 3, 2023 at 7:00:00 PM
Home Team Name/Class/District/Division: Crosby - 5A-8-1
Record: District Wins: 0, Overall Wins: 1, District Losses: 0, Overall Losses: 0

Visiting Team Name/Class/District/Division: Baytown Goose Creek Memorial- 5A-8-1
Record: District Wins: 0, Overall Wins: 1, District Losses: 0, Overall Losses: 0

District Matchup: Yes

*Standings do not include this game.

INSTRUCTIONS TO LIVE UPDATE THIS GAME ON THE SCOREBOARD: 
Type !!score: or !!: as your "command" then Visitor's Score/Home Score/Quarter

Example: !!score:10/14/4 would be 10 to 14 in the 4th quarter
!!:21/28/2 would be 21 to 28 in the 2nd quarter

Use h or H for halftime, and f or F for final
You may also use - , or | in place of /

Extras: Post the time left in the quarter as minutes/seconds.
Ex:7/0/1/13/25 = 7 to 0, 1st quarter, 13 minutes, 25 seconds left. 

Well, can't say I didn't call it. I just wish I would've been wrong. Everything I said about us making the Joe Willis hire this offseason is exactly what played out. If you watched all the Tyler Legacy games I did this past offseason you would've most likely come to the same conclusion as me that him going 2-8 last year and backing it up with another 2-8 this year isn't a coincidence. 

Before the season started I said "This isn't Cedar Park", meaning all of the built in advantages that he had there or even Colleyville Heritage, do not exist at Crosby. People on here that know absolutely nothing about our program had strong opinions on my remarks regarding why I don't think the hire "fit" Crosby. I said he was an older, lower energy CEO type coach that didn't fit our culture. I said he ran a system that didn't fit our personnel and actually exacerbated issues Riordan and Prieto covered up so well, like good coaches do.

We've kind of always been on the lower end of the the participation scale. I said before the season that if kids and parents didn't like what they saw that they would just transfer out to one of the other nearby schools, and they have. Depending on how convicted some of the other parents are to their remarks I heard them make this year, we could be looking at a major exodus of talent from the lower classes over the Spring semester and Summer. 

I didn't comment all year because there was nothing positive to mention and there was no point in running the coach down every week for things that everybody could turn on a game and see themselves. It was the worst play-calling we've witnessed since Flannigan, the worst scheme we've seen since Flannigan and the worst personnel moves we've seen since Flannigan. This is magnified by the fact that no assistants wanted to come work for Willis so we have a bunch of local guys with very little actual coaching experience to help mitigate the issues. 

I think Willis is a good coach and I can see the end intentions on a lot of the things that didn't play out the way he thought they would, but he's an old coach set in his way and convinced they'll work. Not sure how long he's going to be here as I've heard he was only given a two year contract but what I will say is that outside of him finding the easiest non-district games he can for next year, I wouldn't expect Crosby's record to look much different than it did this year for the foreseeable future. 

*Today Crosby votes on a new $85M bond for another elementary school, a second middle school, an expansion of the 5 year old high school and general facility maintenance. Bond says they expect Crosby ISD to get 5,000 new students by 2033 meaning a projected high school enrollment ~ 3,800. Basically the new alignment will be the last two years Crosby has to try to be competitive before going in to the 6A abyss. Sad state of affairs what an administration can do to a program but here we are, had some fun times though. 

That Highschool cannot hold 3800 students so the two High School talk is going to restart again. Even with the planned expansion that building is no where near big enough to hold that population. 

Ten year projections have been waaaay off before but perhaps this is our last alignment pre-6A we will see. When we get put in that Humble/King/NS district we are going to quickly become irrelevant in football unless there is some fantastic program building. 

5 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Disinformation. Nobody cares about Crosby, and I sure don't either. In fact I have not even posted in any Crosby threads through this year, until now, after your 2-8 season has concluded. Go back and look it up. 

So again, another epic fail from you. 

Nah, not an epic fail from me.  You prove weekly your football IQ.

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2023 at 2:05 PM, thaferrett said:

Crosby is in a down turn right now.  But they didn't lose to any teams that had less talent than them . Its going to be hard for whoever coaches at Crosby. In 5 yrs they will be 6a.  Its gets worse from there.

Crosby is going to sing more kids in the next two years(this year and next year) than anybody currently in the district besides PAM. Teams like Baytown Lee don't beat Crosby because they're more talented. It's easy to point to talent when the system and playcalling doesn't fit the personnel. BH doesn't have near the talent that PAM does and still beat them, PNG doesn't have near the talent FBM does and still beat them. People said Duncanville was finished before Samples got there and turned them into a contender after going 3-7 his first year there, same caliber kids they've always had with a 4k+ enrollment.

We've had multiple D1 kids before and lost in the 2nd round, we've signed 0 D1 kids and made it to the state finals. Guy on the sideline matters a lot, even moreso when the administration is so poorly run which is exactly why I predicted Willis to have a similar record to the one he did at Crosby even though he had a team with multiple kids that ended up playing in the SEC championship last Saturday.  

On 11/9/2023 at 12:10 PM, BetterTogether said:

To make matters worse, a lot of the coaches they hired on aren't certified, so they'll be gone by spring and they'll have to hire a whole new staff!

How do you expect to be a serious program with issues like this? I've already heard of some of the ones leaving, smh. As if three head coaches in 6 years wasn't bad enough it's going to be a revolving door with assistants. Some of the reasons those guys can't coach come from the supt.'s policies herself which makes it even more headscratching as to why you hire a guy who can't make a single guarantee regarding the staff he's bringing in?

I think part of the issue is the control he exerts over his coaches. Prieto and Riordan basically let the coordinators run practice, as it currently sits Willis runs both sides of the ball. During practice we literally switch from offense to defense every 4/5 periods and Willis runs the whole show. Maybe something changes this year but from Flannigan to Prieto or any of the coaches I ever played for I've never seen practice approached that way. Lots of downtime for one side of the ball when they could be getting reps. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Welcome back 😎

I'm only here until my flight leaves for St. Lucia tomorrow. As pitiful as this season was I figured I might as well spend a week taking it out on some Wahoo and hitting some golf balls in the ocean. My old lady is from Oak Cliff and her nephew plays for Duncanville so I've been getting the treatment at the house all bleeping year, smh.  

21 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

How do you expect to be a serious program with issues like this? I've already heard of some of the ones leaving, smh. As if three head coaches in 6 years wasn't bad enough it's going to be a revolving door with assistants. Some of the reasons those guys can't coach come from the supt.'s policies herself which makes it even more headscratching as to why you hire a guy who can't make a single guarantee regarding the staff he's bringing in?

I think part of the issue is the control he exerts over his coaches. Prieto and Riordan basically let the coordinators run practice, as it currently sits Willis runs both sides of the ball. During practice we literally switch from offense to defense every 4/5 periods and Willis runs the whole show. Maybe something changes this year but from Flannigan to Prieto or any of the coaches I ever played for I've never seen practice approached that way. Lots of downtime for one side of the ball when they could be getting reps. 

I don't think he trust his staff. That's what that tells me.