Only Going For 2 Points!

Reagan

2 minutes ago, Reagan said:

With recent talk about some teams struggling to kick extra points, I’m surprised there hasn’t been teams that do nothing but go for 2 points after a touchdown.  You practice it and then execute it during the game.  Thoughts?!

Many of the lower classifications do.   I’m curious to know if Newton has kicked an xp all year.

Then schools like Timpson, are fairly proficient at the XP.

In the end, it’ll always come back to bite you if pass up 1 pt to go for 2.

The lack of a kicking game, and the seemingly refusal to address it, has cost WOS 2 games this year.

I guess some high school coaches figure practicing field goals are a waste of time. Those same Coaches preach 110% to the players but some Coaches only put in 30% on their end on field goals. I’ve been following the local team 20 years and we have hardly ever kicked a field goal. One year they took the time with a kid that wanted to kick field goals. But he missed one and it was back to 2pt try’s again rest of season.A good coaching staff will have a field goal kicker, an work and give them every opportunity to be successful. That’s why the coaches with the 2pt mentality will never coach at the collegiate level. Because it’s not over looking the small details that others do that separates the winners. And being able to kick a Field Goal is a big detail.

On 10/23/2023 at 11:40 AM, skipmeister said:

I am not sure if it's legal or not, why couldn't they just simply do the drop kick for an extra point? I remember back in the 2005 NFL season when Doug Flutie of the New England Patriots made a successful attempt. Here is the video: 

There is a reason this is so rare. Its extremely hard, requires near perfect execution on the drop and the contact with the foot. you would spend 5x the amount of practice time on this vs. teaching a kid to toe poke a field goal.