Two a days begins July 31 !!!

lcm93

2 hours ago, Bigdog said:

They need to start doing them like they used to be.  What they do now is not the same.  Yeah I'm the old guy griping about the way things are now.  :)

I really dont think its needed now....the kids come in already in great shape because of summer SAC, yes back in the day they did two-a-days, but also kids didnt show up to the school in June-July...now kids are there 4 days a week most of June and for about half of July (there is a mandatory off-week during July 4th week and a lot of coaches are gone during coaching school)

3 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

I really dont think its needed now....the kids come in already in great shape because of summer SAC, yes back in the day they did two-a-days, but also kids didnt show up to the school in June-July...now kids are there 4 days a week most of June and for about half of July (there is a mandatory off-week during July 4th week and a lot of coaches are gone during coaching school)

I have to say I agree with @Bigdog

While the summer workouts are good, they are not dedicated to just football. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

We were also outside and acclimated to the heat a lot more as kids and more active outside of school.   Not so much now.

29 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

We were also outside and acclimated to the heat a lot more as kids and more active outside of school.   Not so much now.

I think kids back then just did stuff on their own or worked....kids these days are out in the heat a lot, its just in more organized settings, summer workouts, 7on7, private 1v1 training etc....its different but most HS Football players are on campus 3-4 hours a day much of the summer, lifting, running, doing sport specific work etc...that more than adds up for the time "lost" not doing two-a-days

2 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

I think kids back then just did stuff on their own or worked....kids these days are out in the heat a lot, its just in more organized settings, summer workouts, 7on7, private 1v1 training etc....its different but most HS Football players are on campus 3-4 hours a day much of the summer, lifting, running, doing sport specific work etc...that more than adds up for the time "lost" not doing two-a-days

Once again, I respectfully disagree. It's not concentrated football workouts including running plays rather than conditioning. The conditioning is good, but it's still not as good as honing in on a football environment. That's the opinion of a few head and assistant coaches...not just mine.

15 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Once again, I respectfully disagree. It's not concentrated football workouts including running plays rather than conditioning. The conditioning is good, but it's still not as good as honing in on a football environment. That's the opinion a a few head and assistant coaches...not just mine.

Agree!... When I was in school mid-90s we had summer workouts (lifting and conditioning) and we worked.  Luckily, I worked for the school during the summers and was able to get off for a couple hours to make summer workouts.  During those couple of hours there was no running of plays, no talk about schemes, or anything else related to football.  The only thing football related was "hey let's meet at the field and throw the ball a bit"

and to say kids are out in the heat more than kids back in the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc... is crazy talk lol

wondering when and who will get the first air conditioned helmets on the high school level lol. LSU should be beast this year since they will be debuting them. this would help with summer practices greatly in my opinion. still gotta hydrate. todays heat is too dangerous, even for the athletes.  i like the coaches that conduct night practices. that's game time stuff lol. getting acclimated to the lights etc..

4 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

Once again, I respectfully disagree. It's not concentrated football workouts including running plays rather than conditioning. The conditioning is good, but it's still not as good as honing in on a football environment. That's the opinion of a few head and assistant coaches...not just mine.

Football coaches always want more practice time...they want all the extra summer work plus 2-a-days, plus whatever else they can get...thats just their nature...what I'm saying is its not needed now because of the changes to the calendar and the development of a year-round nature of the game. And remember they do get time to run plays in the summer now with the sport specific time

3 hours ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

Agree!... When I was in school mid-90s we had summer workouts (lifting and conditioning) and we worked.  Luckily, I worked for the school during the summers and was able to get off for a couple hours to make summer workouts.  During those couple of hours there was no running of plays, no talk about schemes, or anything else related to football.  The only thing football related was "hey let's meet at the field and throw the ball a bit"

and to say kids are out in the heat more than kids back in the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc... is crazy talk lol

kids in general aren't out in the heat more than back in the day....but I do believe today's football players on average are out in it just as much as kids back in the 80s for example....most kids in the 70s and 80s weren't working the fields etc....

I think its also worth noting it is hotter on average now that it was 40-50 years ago as well...although nothing has topped the summer of 1980

3 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

kids in general aren't out in the heat more than back in the day....but I do believe today's football players on average are out in it just as much as kids back in the 80s for example....most kids in the 70s and 80s weren't working the fields etc....

I think its also worth noting it is hotter on average now that it was 40-50 years ago as well...although nothing has topped the summer of 1980

I forgot to mention that 2 days are helpful for the body to get acclimated to wearing football equipment.  It's the first real chance for offensive linemen to get on the field with QBs.  Gives coaches a chance to see players after a summer of working out, 7on7, etc.  

3 minutes ago, BigEnosBurdette said:

I forgot to mention that 2 days are helpful for the body to get acclimated to wearing football equipment.  It's the first real chance for offensive linemen to get on the field with QBs.  Gives coaches a chance to see players after a summer of working out, 7on7, etc.  

There's a burn in period now....I dont think back in the day you could go full pads until the first day of contact (Day 6)....now you can go shoulder pads/shells on Day 3, just no contact....

Yes, they certainly needed to start early. You must remember to win, you have to have a combination of talent and good coaching. As of today, the Bulldogs are lacking in these 2 categories 

Yes I believe they will be improved, but how much?

They have major concerns at LB’er and secondary on defense. The offense has to develop a QB, find some receivers, and the OL must improve a bunch. The special teams may have been the weakest of the 3 last season

The senior class is pretty weak, however there are a handful of juniors that should be much improved. I don’t know how many sophomores will be capable of varsity level competition 

The non district results will tell us whether they wind up 2-8 are 5-5

14 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

Football coaches always want more practice time...they want all the extra summer work plus 2-a-days, plus whatever else they can get...thats just their nature...what I'm saying is its not needed now because of the changes to the calendar and the development of a year-round nature of the game. And remember they do get time to run plays in the summer now with the sport specific time

I wonder why they would want more practice time? Hmmmm. Is it because it’s beneficial? Is it because in their experience, it was better for their team as a whole? No, I’m sure YOU’RE right. I’ll tell the experienced coaches what you said. I’m sure they’ll agree. 
🤦🏽

2 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I wonder why they would want more practice time? Hmmmm. Is it because it’s beneficial? Is it because in their experience, it was better for their team as a whole? No, I’m sure YOU’RE right. I’ll tell the experienced coaches what you said. I’m sure they’ll agree. 
🤦🏽

Of course some won't agree it serves their interests to have more time...

But it is interesting that even though schools have the option to do 2 practices after Day 5 (and not on consecutive days, the vast majority choose not to do it..