Dave Campbell's Texas Football Update

finally, it's not about the work put into it. Everyone will agree I am sure that the effort put into the publication is and always has been appreciated! the proof of appreciation coming in the money spent to buy it. but when it's not there after public announcement of arrival dates people become discouraged and has so on and so forth happens the interest  fades 

i'm about to ruffle feathers lol...i go the a book store, pick up the mag,look for the teams i'm interested in, just to see the opinion of the mag...otherwise i put it BACK and i purchase a program at the game and chat it up the week going into the game with people that support that school. imo, a waste of money. thats a Monceuxs shrimp basket or some salt & pepper wings...ijs...back before internet and social media, this was a go to...not so much anymore which is probably why sales are down etc...

10 minutes ago, pakronos said:

i'm about to ruffle feathers lol...i go the a book store, pick up the mag,look for the teams i'm interested in, just to see the opinion of the mag...otherwise i put it BACK and i purchase a program at the game and chat it up the week going into the game with people that support that school. imo, a waste of money. thats a Monceuxs shrimp basket or some salt & pepper wings...ijs...back before internet and social media, this was a go to...not so much anymore which is probably why sales are down etc...

that makes sense. 

at the same time if a product is not available in its simple original form(meaning you can't just subscribe and get the magazine by itself, all the other is forced on you)magazine on the rack/shelf sales will drop.

no product no $

2 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

so gradually try to force people into $50 subscriptions is the way to go uh? I don't care how well it's liked by myself or others good luck sustaining with that approach.

We are doing quite well at the moment, the brand is more profitable than its ever been because we've gotten more diverse, adapted to the changing marketplace and invested in our talented people. We've grown our staff on the editorial side over the last three years and added to our sales team as well.

We will see if this new approach works but I can tell you over the past ten years margins on the retail side have consistently dropped as the marketplace as changed and the consumer base is more tech savvy.

56 minutes ago, pakronos said:

I know people who do this, a lot actually lol...just another bullet for exiting retail because not only are margins low but they are low and people can easily get the info w/o paying 

Others will say " I can get my info online for free" which is true...but where do most of those people who claim to be insiders get their info? Lol 

Almost like cutting off your nose to spite you face deal, because if DCTF stopped existing many of those folks wouldn't have their info any longer 

I am glad that you are still offering the magazine in a printed version, it has become something I look forward to mid summer ahead of the football season. I made the switch to a subscription during the Covid outbreak. Thanks for all the hard work and like any business you are there to make a profit. 

31 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Picked mine up today at Walgreens in Cleveland. Shocking note that DCTF does not have Kaden Dixon from Center listed in the top 30 RBs. 

I would love to hear how many RBs in the state had more than 33 TDs and 2200 YDS rushing last year. 

That's a recruiting based list not a list based on HS production...but the state is loaded with Division I backs in the Class of 2024

1 hour ago, Matthew328 said:

That's a recruiting based list not a list based on HS production...but the state is loaded with Division I backs in the Class of 2024

Understood. Dixon is one those D1 backs and there are not 30 RBs better than him. His production is the result of his ability. 

29 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood. Dixon is one those D1 backs and there are not 30 RBs better than him. His production is the result of his ability. 

and the weak schedule the Roughriders play (minus Carthage).  

50 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Our recruiting analyst would disagree with your analysis, but to each his own.

I honestly don't believe Dixon projects as a RB at the next level

5 minutes ago, Matthew328 said:

Safety or he might grow into a box safety/LB type...I think that's why his recruiting has been slow...no one really knows what to do with him

I could see him going to LB because he is likely to carry 220-225 lbs within a year. However, I have not seen another RB put his foot down and cut like him in many years. 

56 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Not sure what schedule you are talking about. You believe Tatum, North Desoto, Daingerfield, Van, Rusk are “weak”?

None of those teams play defense.   For what it is worth Center doesn’t play defense either.  Dixon had 90+ yards against Carthage.   In comparison to other schools yes those schools are weak.

5 minutes ago, oldman said:

None of those teams play defense.   For what it is worth Center doesn’t play defense either.  Dixon had 90+ yards against Carthage.   In comparison to other schools yes those schools are weak.

Lol. In comparison to what schools? Compared to Carthage all schools are weak. How many yards did everyone else have against Carthage?

Let’s see him run against Longview, Texas High , Whitehouse, Lancaster…..Etc.

If he can put up those numbers against those guys then he is legit.   As Matt said, analysts really are not sure as to what he projects position wise at the next level.

47 minutes ago, oldman said:

Let’s see him run against Longview, Texas High , Whitehouse, Lancaster…..Etc.

If he can put up those numbers against those guys then he is legit.   As Matt said, analysts really are not sure as to what he projects position wise at the next level.

Understood. Many RBs play similar schedules, and none (or few) have eclipsed his production. He is 6'2" 200 lbs and runs a 10.5 100m. Multiple D1 colleges (and their "analysts") believe he can play RB and have extended offers to do so.