Best Player Ever

I didn't set any goal posts.  Thread is best player ever from a school.  Didn't say best player ever while in high school.  Do what you will with that.  I think a an NBA player in any era is probably better than a Southland player.  No disrespect to Weisbrod because he was great and probably did way more with much less. 

1 hour ago, 72 Pinto said:

Maybe where you're from, winning a gold medal and NBA titles is common enough to disregard?  Maybe Hefner and Jamie Weaver would have dominated juco and southland basketball.  We'll never know, but we do know that Weisbrod couldn't play at A&M or Houston because they didn't offer him a scholarship.

Everyone has their own opinions and that's what makes this fun.  Hell, I once saw someone rank themselves top 10 all time at a school they didn't even go to.  You never no what other people think and there's really no wrong answers.

In fairness, I remember big Colton taking 6’10” Tonny Trocha-Morelos to school in a game against A&M over Thanksgiving when he was a true freshman at New Orleans.  He scored it 6 out of the 8 times he touched it on the blocks, despite giving up half a foot to the high major kid.  The Privateers lost against that Aggie team with Daniel House and Alex Caruso but I remember watching the game with my son and father and hearing the ESPN guys gush about the freshman from Nederland.  

And I wasn’t surprised at all.  Saw him do the same thing the summer before his senior year against Myles Turner.  Seems like he’s had (and still having) a decent career.  

I won’t argue the guy from the peach basket era that won a medal and some nba titles.  He would have to be all time Beaumont Enterprise super gold team with that resume.  Not even Stephen Jackson, Perk, BJ, etc. have that combo of accolades. 

11 minutes ago, 72 Pinto said:

Speaking of that...I saw the Super Gold Team is out.  Only took three months from the end of basketball season. 

Saw that too but just a screen shot (couldn’t find a link).  Gotta say, I do like the way those folks do their teams.  5 on first, 5 on second.  Good list again.  I would have liked to have seen a certain Bobcat on the second team in place of someone else from the district but they mostly got it right again.  But that’s for a probable future thread. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Dixson said:

Laquarious Paige

KJ Miller

Richard Netherley

Gary Scott 

Joey Byerly

Chase Rutledge. 

No particular order there and probably missing some guys from the 90s. 

That's a good list for that time frame. Definitely missing some from the 90s and maybe even some from the 80s.

45 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Bosha might have been better tho. 

Bosha wasn’t even the best player in that district.  Q was better in HS (and continued to be in college).  Bosha is definitely after Donahue, Spears and Prudhomme (in no particular order).  Probably some others I’m missing as well. 

On 6/12/2023 at 4:32 PM, Tyler Dixson said:

Laquarious Paige

KJ Miller

Richard Netherley

Gary Scott 

Joey Byerly

Chase Rutledge. 

No particular order there and probably missing some guys from the 90s. 

Norris McGhee from 1994-97 could jump out the gym and I mean that literally. He was only about 6'3 but he was dunking in the 7th grade. 

9 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Well, I wonder if folks know that Bosha set the alltime scoring record at that school.  So he legitimately has an argument IMHO…

I wonder if you know how many shots he took in comparison to some of the other guys.  I would think Elam is one of the all time leading scorers at Silsbee too.  He was also 20 years old and probably scored at least half of his baskets snowbirding (leaking out on defense and getting uncontested layups).  Stats are great but you also have to watch the games.  Bosha was great. But better than a few of those other guys, no way. 

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

I wonder if you know how many shots he took in comparison to some of the other guys.  I would think Elam is one of the all time leading scorers at Silsbee too.  He was also 20 years old and probably scored at least half of his baskets snowbirding (leaking out on defense and getting uncontested layups).  Stats are great but you also have to watch the games.  Bosha was great. But better than a few of those other guys, no way. 

Key words here….  Legitimate argument.  And I did watch that kid’s games.

And  about Elam.  Know know about his age situation and how he scored his baskets.  UIL signed off on it so it was what it was.  He scored a ton of baskets, so he also has a legitimate argument no matter how anyone feels about his game or age.  

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Also adding on the way Elam scored his buckets, maybe the opposing team’s coaches should’ve put a defensive game plan in place to stop leak outs and snow birding.  Blame them.  If your team’s player can snowbird and leak out, you’d be a fool not to let him continue to do it.

😂🤣 

2 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Key words here….  Legitimate argument.  And I did watch that kid’s games.

And  about Elam.  Know know about his age situation and how he scored his baskets.  UIL signed off on it so it was what it was.  He scored a ton of baskets, so he also has a legitimate argument no matter how anyone feels about his game or age.  

Just cause you can make up an argument doesn’t make it a good one or a legitimate one.  I’m aware UIL signed off on it.  As long as you are in resource classes (what we used to call special ed), you can be close to drinking age and playing high school sports.  For those that aren’t, you better not turn 19 a couple of weeks before Sept. 1.