Crosby vs Longview

Cougar14.2

Well, if you were a Crosby fan before the season you were hoping this is the matchup you would get .  .  .  You were just hoping it would be on Black Friday. It’s disappointing that we don’t get another game or two to improve before a matchup like this but those are the consequences of a a sub-par season. Still very proud of this team for overcoming adversity to get to this point, last time we were in this situation in 2018 we lost to Santa Fe and had our playoff streak broken. 

On the football side of things there’s really not a bunch of analysis. Longview has played very well most of the time this year and Crosby hasn’t. Neither team will be anything both haven’t already seen this year. I think Crosby’s best opportunity for a victory is to go try to manufacture 31 points and hope to win the turnover/penalty battle. The obvious rebuttal would be that Longview hasn’t given up 31 all year but we’ve also heard that multiple times in the past from different teams. Crosby will show up and hopefully play a clean, hard game and let the chips fall where they may. 

5 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, if you were a Crosby fan before the season you were hoping this is the matchup you would get .  .  .  You were just hoping it would be on Black Friday. It’s disappointing that we don’t get another game or two to improve before a matchup like this but those are the consequences of a a sub-par season. Still very proud of this team for overcoming adversity to get to this point, last time we were in this situation in 2018 we lost to Santa Fe and had our playoff streak broken. 

On the football side of things there’s really not a bunch of analysis. Longview has played very well most of the time this year and Crosby hasn’t. Neither team will be anything both haven’t already seen this year. I think Crosby’s best opportunity for a victory is to go try to manufacture 31 points and hope to win the turnover/penalty battle. The obvious rebuttal would be that Longview hasn’t given up 31 all year but we’ve also heard that multiple times in the past from different teams. Crosby will show up and hopefully play a clean, hard game and let the chips fall where they may. 

They put they pads on just like Crosby does. Line that sh*t up and lets go!

Longview’s defense hasn’t given up more than 13 points in a game this season. 7 of the 19 that north mesquite scored came from a scoop & score late late in the 4th quarter when the game was already out of hand. I respect the Crosby program but I’ve been watching lobo football since the early 2000’s & this is without a doubt the best team I’ve ever seen us field. if Longview comes with their A game which the my usually do in the playoffs, I don’t see how we don’t win by 4 or more scores. 

Just telling you Crosby folks, if you have never played in Longview, your in for a Lobo experience. Everything is Lobo there. The wolf calls and the Longview fans and band on the visitor side. Your down 14 before you get off the bus.  The indoctrination is loud and long.  Few visitors ever leave Lobo Country with a victory, and if by miracle it should occur, it will be a close nail biter because Longview never goes down easy.   

My prediction is Longview 56  Crosby 13. 

Longview is better than anyone you have seen this year or last year. Mark my words.

Longview's defense has surrendered a total of 70 points all season, 8 total in the second half (unfortunate fumble by our second team against North Mesquite with 3 minutes to go to make that doubled for the season).

Crosby is back healthy and ready to go.

Interested to see how the 3+ hour drive will impact the Cougars, not to mention playing in Lobo Stadium for the first time.

Lobos haven't lost a home playoff game since 1984. The closest game since then was Beaumont West Brook back in 2017, a 3 score advantage. Magnolia game last season ended 21 points as well, but that game was completely dominated by Longview outside of about a 4 minute stretch to end the half.

Will be interested to see what Crosby can bring that they think can attack against us. Taylor Tatum will get his yards. Jalen Hale will get his yards. I don't think the Coogs have the weapons to keep up with us to be honest, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Lobo defense has allowed a total of 565 rushing yards this season, so feel like Crosby's only real plan would be to throw the ball.

Excited to see a new team in person. Hope y'all bring some type of crowd.

42 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

Just telling you Crosby folks, if you have never played in Longview, your in for a Lobo experience. Everything is Lobo there. The wolf calls and the Longview fans and band on the visitor side. Your down 14 before you get off the bus.  The indoctrination is loud and long.  Few visitors ever leave Lobo Country with a victory, and if by miracle it should occur, it will be a close nail biter because Longview never goes down easy.   

Longview is better than anyone you have seen this year or last year. Mark my words.

Biggest upset in Lobo history? Considering all those factors. 

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Longview's defense has surrendered a total of 70 points all season, 8 total in the second half (unfortunate fumble by our second team against North Mesquite with 3 minutes to go to make that doubled for the season).

Crosby is back healthy and ready to go.

Interested to see how the 3+ hour drive will impact the Cougars, not to mention playing in Lobo Stadium for the first time.

Lobos haven't lost a home playoff game since 1984. The closest game since then was Beaumont West Brook back in 2017, a 3 score advantage. Magnolia game last season ended 21 points as well, but that game was completely dominated by Longview outside of about a 4 minute stretch to end the half.

Will be interested to see what Crosby can bring that they think can attack against us. Taylor Tatum will get his yards. Jalen Hale will get his yards. I don't think the Coogs have the weapons to keep up with us to be honest, but stranger things have happened I guess.

Lobo defense has allowed a total of 565 rushing yards this season, so feel like Crosby's only real plan would be to throw the ball.

Excited to see a new team in person. Hope y'all bring some type of crowd.

We’ll they have cowbells and a poster that can bench 400lbs & talks to people that make $800k a year. Hope y’all can deal with that.😁

2 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

Biggest upset in Lobo history? Considering all those factors. 

I think it's hard to beat the 2005 South Garland loss in Mesquite when we were nationally ranked at the time, believe we were #2 or #3 in 5A at the time. By far the most talent we have ever had on a single team. Chris Ivory, Vondrell McGee, Trent Williams etc etc.

We were just absolutely loaded in 04 & 05. But it'd be top 2/3 for sure.

I still have absolutely no idea how we lost that one to South.

17 hours ago, Kjetx07 said:

Longview’s defense hasn’t given up more than 13 points in a game this season. 7 of the 19 that north mesquite scored came from a scoop & score late late in the 4th quarter when the game was already out of hand. I respect the Crosby program but I’ve been watching lobo football since the early 2000’s & this is without a doubt the best team I’ve ever seen us field. if Longview comes with their A game which the my usually do in the playoffs, I don’t see how we don’t win by 4 or more scores. 

Very good team no doubt. I am not ready to crown them the best. There are several that are incredible and have done more than this years team....and I have been watching Lobo ball since the 1980s.

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think it's hard to beat the 2005 South Garland loss in Mesquite when we were nationally ranked at the time, believe we were #2 or #3 in 5A at the time. By far the most talent we have ever had on a single team. Chris Ivory, Vondrell McGee, Trent Williams etc etc.

We were just absolutely loaded in 04 & 05. But it'd be top 2/3 for sure.

I still have absolutely no idea how we lost that one to South.

The 2019 loss to Jesuit’s gotta be up there too. i really didn’t expect that 2019 team to repeat, it just never felt the same as 2018.  but i sure as heck didn’t expect Jesuit to beat us in round two

54 minutes ago, kingwolf1 said:

Very good team no doubt. I am not ready to crown them the best. There are several that are incredible and have done more than this years team....and I have been watching Lobo ball since the 1980s.

you’ve definitely been watching longer than me & have seen a lot more teams come through than i have. But if this seasons team ends up bringing home another ring, idk what team i could put over them since I’ve been watching. I’ve never seen a lobo defense do what this one is doing. under 600 rushing yards allowed through 10 games is crazy to think about. A good number of teams had given up that many  halfway through the season.

17 minutes ago, Kjetx07 said:

The 2019 loss to Jesuit’s gotta be up there too. i really didn’t expect that 2019 team to repeat, it just never felt the same as 2018.  but i sure as heck didn’t expect Jesuit to beat us in round two

Probably top 10 there. Like you said the 2019 team just didn't feel right, but I think our view of Jesuit was a little jaded with just how much we dominated them in the past. Emmitt Smith's kid was legit and he hadn't been healthy at all that season. Then Kaden went down injured. Was just the perfect recipe for a defeat. At the end of the day, it came down to a kicker again lol. We go to OT if not for that one missed PAT in the 2nd Q.

After watching all but one of Crosby’s games and seeing everyone of Longview’s here are my thoughts.  I will say that the parity in the district does make it hard to understand just how good everyone is. So take everything with a grain of salt. A couple of no brainer’s jump out.

1. Crosby is not the same team that started the season.  They are also not the preseason team we thought they would be.
  2. They have definitely progressed over the last few weeks (regardless of who they have played).
  3. If the team they have now had a few more weeks in district, I have little doubt they would end up with the no. 2 seed and quite possibly the no. 1 seed.
  4. Sloppy play, turnovers and penalties, have definitely improved.

Crosby Offense

Similar offense to Lancaster, Desoto, and Beaumont Westbrook but with multiple play variations similar to Forney or think 2018 Lobos. It is really hard to figure out what is coming your way. For example, they run so many variations of screen plays from different spots on the field (RB, WR, Tight end/H back, bubble screens, tunnel screens, etc.) I wouldn’t be shocked if they didn’t have a QB throwback screen. The running QB is what will set them apart in this game. They will quite possibly be the second fastest team we have played. Short and intermediate passing game is legit. Their athletic QB can make those throws and they will be designed to find the open spots in our defense. They also have some very sure handed receivers. The RB group is solid. The offensive line has improved but still can beaten.  I did notice how the offensive play calling has adjusted against the weaknesses of the O-line. This will be a big challenge for our defense. I think seeing Forney, McKinney North, and Lancaster will definitely benefit us.

One very clear thing that stands out, is the way they score. They torched an exceptional Texas high defense several years ago, and I know Crosby fans were not that impressed. I am not a homer and knew just how good that TH team has been. Their variability and athleticism in play calling was too much for TH to adjust to.  Crosby has the ability to score and start an avalanche. Once it is going, it will be hard to stop. Lobos need to make them work for every freaking yard. The only defense that Crosby has seen that is close would be PAM. (I don’t count the CE King game because I believe that was a complete aberration.) Crosby will have to find a way to do something no other team has done this year, score more than two offensive TDs in a game.

Crosby Defense

Definitely not as strong a unit as in past years but good enough. They have seen the I formation (NCP) this year so it won’t be a surprise to them.  They remind me a lot of Denton Ryan in their scheme. Blitzing or aggressive stunting and you don’t know where it is coming from. Very, very disruptive. This worries me the most.  Allen will have to release the ball quickly. They are going to throw the kitchen sink at him.  I am not sure he will get a chance for a lot of long developing pass plays. He is going to have to be accurate. Crosby does have trouble with the run and I know Longview can exploit that. The Longview O-line will be one of the better O-lines they have faced, if not the best. I also know that Longview’s set of receivers and RBs will be the best Crosby has seen, so this may end up being a chess match. Longview is going to score, the question is can Crosby keep them in the high 20s or thirties?

Overall, this is definitely not a team I would expect us to blow out unless we can handle their blitzing/stunts and move the ball. If we can consistently move the ball on them, it could get ugly. I am very intrigued about this Crosby style offense against our defense. The variability with athleticism is going to be fun to watch. Crosby is going to have to have several things to go right to have a chance to win this game including a conservative game plan by Longview.  Longview needs to jump on them early and often.  We keep the QB from settling in or taking off, we win this game going away. If not, it could be tight for a while.

Longview 38

Crosby 17

13 hours ago, PackAttack said:

I agree with everything you said but the prediction. Longview should win, but Crosby is going to present us with some problems.

28 minutes ago, kingwolf1 said:

After watching all but one of Crosby’s games and seeing everyone of Longview’s here are my thoughts.  I will say that the parity in the district does make it hard to understand just how good everyone is. So take everything with a grain of salt. A couple of no brainer’s jump out.

1. Crosby is not the same team that started the season.  They are also not the preseason team we thought they would be.
  2. They have definitely progressed over the last few weeks (regardless of who they have played).
  3. If the team they have now had a few more weeks in district, I have little doubt they would end up with the no. 2 seed and quite possibly the no. 1 seed.
  4. Sloppy play, turnovers and penalties, have definitely improved.

Crosby Offense

Similar offense to Lancaster, Desoto, and Beaumont Westbrook but with multiple play variations similar to Forney or think 2018 Lobos. It is really hard to figure out what is coming your way. For example, they run so many variations of screen plays from different spots on the field (RB, WR, Tight end/H back, bubble screens, tunnel screens, etc.) I wouldn’t be shocked if they didn’t have a QB throwback screen. The running QB is what will set them apart in this game. They will quite possibly be the second fastest team we have played. Short and intermediate passing game is legit. Their athletic QB can make those throws and they will be designed to find the open spots in our defense. They also have some very sure handed receivers. The RB group is solid. The offensive line has improved but still can beaten.  I did notice how the offensive play calling has adjusted against the weaknesses of the O-line. This will be a big challenge for our defense. I think seeing Forney, McKinney North, and Lancaster will definitely benefit us.

One very clear thing that stands out, is the way they score. They torched an exceptional Texas high defense several years ago, and I know Crosby fans were not that impressed. I am not a homer and knew just how good that TH team has been. Their variability and athleticism in play calling was too much for TH to adjust to.  Crosby has the ability to score and start an avalanche. Once it is going, it will be hard to stop. Lobos need to make them work for every freaking yard. The only defense that Crosby has seen that is close would be PAM. (I don’t count the CE King game because I believe that was a complete aberration.) Crosby will have to find a way to do something no other team has done this year, score more than two offensive TDs in a game.

Crosby Defense

Definitely not as strong a unit as in past years but good enough. They have seen the I formation (NCP) this year so it won’t be a surprise to them.  They remind me a lot of Denton Ryan in their scheme. Blitzing or aggressive stunting and you don’t know where it is coming from. Very, very disruptive. This worries me the most.  Allen will have to release the ball quickly. They are going to throw the kitchen sink at him.  I am not sure he will get a chance for a lot of long developing pass plays. He is going to have to be accurate. Crosby does have trouble with the run and I know Longview can exploit that. The Longview O-line will be one of the better O-lines they have faced, if not the best. I also know that Longview’s set of receivers and RBs will be the best Crosby has seen, so this may end up being a chess match. Longview is going to score, the question is can Crosby keep them in the high 20s or thirties?

Overall, this is definitely not a team I would expect us to blow out unless we can handle their blitzing/stunts and move the ball. If we can consistently move the ball on them, it could get ugly. I am very intrigued about this Crosby style offense against our defense. The variability with athleticism is going to be fun to watch. Crosby is going to have to have several things to go right to have a chance to win this game including a conservative game plan by Longview.  Longview needs to jump on them early and often.  We keep the QB from settling in or taking off, we win this game going away. If not, it could be tight for a while.

Longview 38

Crosby 17

I agree mostly. But Crosby just gave up 42 points 2 weeks ago to a la Porte team that Longview would absolutely run out of the stadium. Unless they come out with a game plan similar to the one we saw against  Tyler to keep our offense off the field, i think there’s no way we don’t put up 40+

9 hours ago, Kjetx07 said:

I agree mostly. But Crosby just gave up 42 points 2 weeks ago to a la Porte team that Longview would absolutely run out of the stadium. Unless they come out with a game plan similar to the one we saw against  Tyler to keep our offense off the field, i think there’s no way we don’t put up 40+

I said on the other board, I think the difference between LaPorte and NCP was the speed of play execution. LaPorte's plays didn't take long to develop.