West Orange Stark vs PNG

lcm93

39 minutes ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

Thats true. I think LCM is better then last year. But good luck on the season. Hopefully both teams can make farther then last year 

I think they are too. I was wondering about the QB replacement, but it looks like they have not missed a beat. Peevey is the man in that respect. Hopefully both go farther! GL!

4 hours ago, prepballfan said:

I remember it  was at the old Reservation with the grass field. I THOUGHT WOS won because they recovered the fumble in the end zone. To a laymen like myself I didn't understand the rule that if a players fumbles the ball Inside the 5 and it travels into the end zone the same player has to recover the fumble. If another player recovered the fumble then it's a touch back for the other team. I remember you could hear a pin drop for 5 minutes while the refs discussed the play. I couldn't understand why they were even discussing it and why Matt Burnett was so animated down near the end zone by the refs. I though WOS won. I also remember we could barely move the ball on the Stangs and we were able to score thanks to a few timely runs by Jay Musser from the QB position.  Which was not something that was normal for that offense that season. 

I thought we won too. The silence was crazy. Then disappointment. I was young and didn't understand it either. Those old days of 20?-4a were serious. My dad worked in Groves and loved rubbing it in when we won. That one didn't go over well.

51 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

We’ll see what PNG looks like this week against another team who can execute plays at the varsity level? Lots of mistakes on offense and lots of guys out of position on defense during the PAM game. It was very impressive what PNG was able to do to BU’s personnel but I think PNG needs to get through this week before you can really start to estimate a trajectory for them. BU is a 5A level HISD football team and that may be doing a disservice to Houston Madison. PNG dispatched them exactly how they should’ve if they’re going to be a good team this year. 

During the summer I said I would be interested to see if PNG offense looked more like Katy’s or SLC’s? I said one place I thought PNG had been well above average recently was the offensive line and that a Katy style offense might highlight that. Well not only does it look like Katy, they’re running the patented zone play from under center that they’ll eventually throw the play-action off of. It’s also a staple play for Carthage. I eventually expect them to start running the crack-toss and the toss counter which are the other staple plays of Katy and Paetow. 

One thing I saw in both games is that PNG still needs to get better at tackling in space and sticking with guys in the secondary. They probably have the personnel to make a real run at a district championship though. #19 for PNG is a baller but Prosperie is still PNG’s best offensive weapon. For whatever reason he kind of seems like an afterthought in PNG’s new offense. That being said, that’s a hard point to argue when you put up 49. Again though, you want to see them do it against a competent team though. 

Ouch!!

That cuts deep! But on the money.

23 hours ago, Gasilla said:

Unfortunately.

Despite promises to the contrary. The one thing you shouldn't screw with here got screwed with.

I'll reserve saying too much. Maybe they know better than a future Hall Of Famer.

U are absolutely correct. We're lucky this is a very talented team but when ur not use to doing something that u have been doing ur whole life.and change it in a couple months.just hope they can iron it all out bf playoffs.but one there strengths that allows them to learn this new defense is shaw and Jones at CBs are tremendous.that what's really helping them.

41 minutes ago, Sportsguy17 said:

I know one thing wos defense better show up cause I don't wanna hear that png fight song all night lol

I saw a young lady cashier at the PN Market Basket with a line of music notes tattooed on her arm. "Please tell me that's not the PNG fight song", I said.  As it turned out, it wasn't, but she was very amused at the thought.  

Anyway, I'm expecting PNG to win it. Of course, who knows? But I think that PNG should win. 

13 minutes ago, 1970 said:

I saw a young lady cashier at the PN Market Basket with a line of music notes tattooed on her arm. "Please tell me that's not the PNG fight song", I said.  As it turned out, it wasn't, but she was very amused at the thought.  

Anyway, I'm expecting PNG to win it. Of course, who knows? But I think that PNG should win. 

Last week was a fluke…that United team is horrible if you seen the game you would have to agree.So if that’s not why you think they “should win then please enlighten us 

10 minutes ago, wo-s#1 said:

Last week was a fluke…that United team is horrible if you seen the game you would have to agree.So if that’s not why you think they “should win then please enlighten us 

Yes, I attended the PNG-BU game. I also attended the entire PNG-PAM game. And the PNG-LCM scrimmage, and been watching a few PNG practices (I'm retired, so why not?).  My youngest grandson plays for PNG, but I'm fairly objective I think. The BU game got out of hand for BU, similar to (but not exactly the same as) the PAM game did for PNG. I'm not quoting exact numbers, but roughly PNG had almost 400 yards of offense, fairly close to what PAM had. In comparison BU had roughly 100 yards last Friday, to PNG's 400.  I was pretty impressed with LCM at the scrimmage. PNG was pretty rough around the edges. But still PNG held their own individually. One play that LCM didn't fall for was PNG's screen pass attempt. PNG tried it again against PAM and PAM was sitting on it like Altuve and Tucker sitting on those fast balls yesterday, and #11's lob pass was disastrous, and came at a bad time. I was glad to see that the screen pass play was scrapped last Friday night, and I hope it stays that way.

Anyway, just based on what I've seen of the LCM-WOS game, they appeared pretty evenly matched. So, if LCM and PNG were evenly matched, then PNG and WOS should be fairly evenly matched. And with PNG coming off of a big away win, and things hopefully beginning to gel, then I give an advantage to PNG, with everything else being equal, even at the WOS home field. Sorry for my earlier use of the word "should".  

9 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

We’ll see what PNG looks like this week against another team who can execute plays at the varsity level? Lots of mistakes on offense and lots of guys out of position on defense during the PAM game. It was very impressive what PNG was able to do to BU’s personnel but I think PNG needs to get through this week before you can really start to estimate a trajectory for them. BU is a 5A level HISD football team and that may be doing a disservice to Houston Madison. PNG dispatched them exactly how they should’ve if they’re going to be a good team this year. 

During the summer I said I would be interested to see if PNG offense looked more like Katy’s or SLC’s? I said one place I thought PNG had been well above average recently was the offensive line and that a Katy style offense might highlight that. 1. Well not only does it look like Katy, they’re running the patented zone play from under center that they’ll eventually throw the play-action off of. It’s also a staple play for Carthage. I eventually expect them to start running the crack-toss and the toss counter which are the other staple plays of Katy and Paetow. 

2. One thing I saw in both games is that PNG still needs to get better at tackling in space and sticking with guys in the secondary. They probably have the personnel to make a real run at a district championship though. #19 for PNG is a baller but 3. Prosperie is still PNG’s best offensive weapon. For whatever reason he kind of seems like an afterthought in PNG’s new offense. That being said, that’s a hard point to argue when you put up 49. Again though, you want to see them do it against a competent team. 

1. Yep. I remember seeing at least 1 play-action last Fri, for a TD, if I remember right. 

2. Yep, again. Although the tackling improved in the 3rd qtr of the PAM game.  

3. Prosperie was frustrated in the PAM game, with PAM's DB, and especially the Ref who kept his flag in his pocket. The Ref finally threw a flag for USC in the 4th Qtr, when helmets were coming off.  Hopefully #19 and #84, after the BU game, will draw some attention away from Prosperie now. 

9 hours ago, 1970 said:

Yes, I attended the PNG-BU game. I also attended the entire PNG-PAM game. And the PNG-LCM scrimmage, and been watching a few PNG practices (I'm retired, so why not?).  My youngest grandson plays for PNG, but I'm fairly objective I think. The BU game got out of hand for BU, similar to (but not exactly the same as) the PAM game did for PNG. I'm not quoting exact numbers, but roughly PNG had almost 400 yards of offense, fairly close to what PAM had. In comparison BU had roughly 100 yards last Friday, to PNG's 400.  I was pretty impressed with LCM at the scrimmage. PNG was pretty rough around the edges. But still PNG held their own individually. One play that LCM didn't fall for was PNG's screen pass attempt. PNG tried it again against PAM and PAM was sitting on it like Altuve and Tucker sitting on those fast balls yesterday, and #11's lob pass was disastrous, and came at a bad time. I was glad to see that the screen pass play was scrapped last Friday night, and I hope it stays that way.

Anyway, just based on what I've seen of the LCM-WOS game, they appeared pretty evenly matched. So, if LCM and PNG were evenly matched, then PNG and WOS should be fairly evenly matched. And with PNG coming off of a big away win, and things hopefully beginning to gel, then I give an advantage to PNG, with everything else being equal, even at the WOS home field. Sorry for my earlier use of the word "should".  

Yep, from what I heard, the scrimmage was close but PNG boys were much bigger than LCM

1 hour ago, mat said:

Yep, from what I heard, the scrimmage was close but PNG boys were much bigger than LCM

The scrimmage was actually 2 days. On Thurs I think both teams had a turn at offense before it was called due to lightning and t-storm. Next day, Fri, both teams had perhaps 3 turns at offense. Both OLs were pretty big. LCM has a good sized RB. If I recall right, LCM had 1 score, which was early with their first offense, and PNG scored late with their back-up offense. Of course the QBs are not tackled in scrimmages, interceptions aren't returned, etc, the refs blow the whistle to protect everyone, no punt or kickoff returns, etc. On PNG's first offense, they ran Reed probably 6 or 7 times in a row - almost the same play, but both right and left - then he came out and was out for the rest of the scrimmage, IIRC. The entire bench got to play as far as I could tell. 

So, although it's hard to tell anything from a scrimmage, my perception was that in an actual game, PNG would have an advantage just based on bigger numbers, bench depth, etc., etc. How all of this relates to the upcoming WOS game 3 weeks later remains to be seen. 

20 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Ouch!!

That cuts deep! But on the money.

I wish I was exaggerating because I think BU has a lot of potential and some of those kids just need some wins in life in general but they're tough to watch right now. I used the HISD example because I watched Madison play and while they're not great they actually look like a varsity football team. BISD needs to really give the new coach some time to change the culture, as in two or three years with no expectations of positive results as long as they're showing improvement. Watching them play it's a lot more of a rebuilding job than I thought. That's why I'm really not sure how much PNG can take from that game?

41 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I wish I was exaggerating because I think BU has a lot of potential and some of those kids just need some wins in life in general but they're tough to watch right now. I used the HISD example because I watched Madison play and while they're not great they actually look like a varsity football team. BISD needs to really give the new coach some time to change the culture, as in two or three years with no expectations of positive results as long as they're showing improvement. Watching them play it's a lot more of a rebuilding job than I thought. That's why I'm really not sure how much PNG can take from that game?

PNG has lots to take from the BU game - like learning from mistakes, although they sure looked sharp compared to the week before. 

WRT BU, when a high school kid lets a kickoff drop as though it was a punt, then that reflects on coaching IMO.  Something is going on there, like someone else stated already somewhere on here, the BU band was small, just a few twirlers, and the dance/drill team consisted of 7 girls. The team numbers seemed small as well, based on just glancing across the field. Sad to see a lack of participation at a school that I was thinking has a pretty large enrollment. 

3 hours ago, 1970 said:

PNG has lots to take from the BU game - like learning from mistakes, although they sure looked sharp compared to the week before. 

WRT BU, when a high school kid lets a kickoff drop as though it was a punt, then that reflects on coaching IMO.  Something is going on there, like someone else stated already somewhere on here, the BU band was small, just a few twirlers, and the dance/drill team consisted of 7 girls. The team numbers seemed small as well, based on just glancing across the field. Sad to see an apparent lack of participation at a school that I was thinking has a pretty large enrollment. 

" ... apparent lack of participation", I should have said.  (Sorry, I can't immediately see how to edit a post. Perhaps there's a time limit.) 

PNG had a very bad week 1. New Coach, new schemes, new plays, 1st time head coach, etc. led to a very miserable start. You absolutely can not judge PNG on that game as well as the 180 recovery for week 2. Now what we know for sure is PNG had a decent year last year that went 3 games deep in the playoffs with basically this same team minus Trahan at RB. What i see happening is the coaches are starting to see what they have and what they can do. Each week we will see progress. Crippen will continue to improve as well as the run game. Our number 1 threat has yet to be unleashed (Prosperie) but will get more and more opportunities as the season goes. Now with the new comers stepping up the offense will progress each week. Defense made a solid statement Friday but will need to do the same this week. Either way this will be a very good game that should see lots of points on the board.    

20 hours ago, 1970 said:

20 hours ago, 1970 said:

You need to lay off the hard stuff. I like PN-G and look for the them to have a great season but beat WO-S?.....That dog won't hunt. You can break it down however you want, algebraically, long division, short division show your work wishingly hoping whatever, not gonna happen. I gotta go somebody just delivered some crow to my porch.

1 hour ago, Majestyk said:

You need to lay off the hard stuff. I like PN-G and look for the them to have a great season but beat WO-S?.....That dog won't hunt. You can break it down however you want, algebraically, long division, short division show your work wishingly hoping whatever, not gonna happen. I gotta go somebody just delivered some crow to my porch.

Well I guess it's okay to analyze with ur heart. I don't think they see how this train is running.raymond mallet will be a problem and he is just a sophomore.

2 hours ago, Highpaidhooker said:

Quick question does anyone know if there will be tickets available at the gate or if they gotta be purchased online like last week in Beaumont ????? Hoping for another great performance from the indians let's establish tommy reed and control the clock 

Online only