Huffman at Silsbee Predictions

BADSANTA

On 8/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, Hagar said:

Huffman managed a 1 point victory over a Legacy School for the physically impaired so if this is not an easy victory for the Tigers I’ll be surprised (again).  Legacy was soundly defeated by Splendora last year and they were terrible.  The score might be close to the Vidor debacle.  Depending on when the Tiger Coaches call off the dogs, I’d think minimum 21 points, and maximum whatever Silsbee wants it to be.  Year of the Tiger!

I haven’t seen any Silsbee play this year. I’m gonna try to find something.

Spring Legacy was better than I thought they would be but they were also the most penalized team I have ever seen. So…Huffman only winning by 1 point…and really it was a failed 2pt conversion after time ran out that sealed the win…what can you take away from this game?

Offense - Huffman had too many penalties too. But still was able to put up 28.  They moved the ball when needed and were productive inside the 20.  Past few years felt like hitting paydirt inside the 20 was too inconsistent. 3TDs on the QB keeper for HH but that is what was there.  I have a theory that talent, scheme, and conditioning become far less of a factor than grit and execution inside the 20.  Trying to finesse a bulldog in a bathtub is a losing game.  

Huffman medium to long passing game is not there. It was inaccurate and Spring DBs played the ball well (or it’s just easier hunting ducks than missiles).

Huffman had too many penalties too.  I am trying to NOT use the excuse “Early in the season, new coach, it’s gonna be sloppy.”  That’s not unique. It’s the first game for those guys too. I can say the offense got better as the game progresses.

Defense - Legacy had 3 dozers at center and guards. Big, wide dudes.  And they held their ground. Just didn’t move well. Legacy did not run up the middle but I think that was more about not being able to block it up and less about Huffman D-Line.  They have a left tackle (I’ll find his number and edit this) that is impressive. His technique is really good and he was hard to beat.

This complemented their QB perfectly. He had a rocket for medium range and consistent on short passes. Huffman DBs we’re getting blocked well in space and this gave some room for big chunks. When flushed, the QB could get good yards.  The defense got their hands on the ball carrier way too many times but didn’t finish. And the defense is not closing on the ball as in previous seasons.

This is where it needs to improve. Hustle on defense (who doesn’t?). Tackling and closing are products of effort.  When Legacy pinned Huffman on their own 5, you saw a change. I describe it as “blood in the water”.  Legacy played with an intensity at that moment that was a step change from just a series earlier. And this was in the 4th quarter.
The good news is that this defense faced a team that punched them in the mouth when they were expecting a sparring session…and they didn’t panic. That paid off with a win.

Matchup - going to find Silsbee v. Vidor film. Hopefully.

I will come back to this post. Doing this on my mobile and almost shook the Etch-A-Sketch. 

9 minutes ago, texbuzz said:

And Silsbee v. Vidor probably won’t tell a lot for Silsbee defense. 

Unless Vidor has abandoned that Work of Art offense. (Absolutely my favorite offense)

If you watch film on the Vidor vs Silsbee game, you’ll either bust out laughing or crying depending on your emotions at the time.  Vidor rarely has been a dominant team, but I haven’t seen them totally inept in a long time either, but Friday night, that describes them.  I can’t imagine why.  Very good last year.  Several good starters returning.  Undefeated JV.  That (normally) adds up to a bright season/team, but they were anything but.  That’s what has my head doing a 360.  It’s analogous to someone making crawfish etouffee.  They have fresh crawfish.  All the proper ingredients.  Everything is cooked to perfection.  You sit down to eat and it taste like 💩.  Why?  What happened?  I haven’t a clue.

5 hours ago, texbuzz said:

And Silsbee v. Vidor probably won’t tell a lot for Silsbee defense. 

Unless Vidor has abandoned that Work of Art offense. (Absolutely my favorite offense)

Crueder tried to touch up the art work but completely dismantled it. If you think that was a work of art you should of seen it when we ran it before. Years before we entered 10-4A  . It was all based on cut blocking (taking knees out) then the rules changed a few years back

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

Homecoming is just too early in Silsbee 

I agree but the later in the season home games had some conflicts that would keep some folks from enjoying homecoming. I was told the school no longer wanted to schedule homecoming on the same week as band contest. The last several homecomings the band was unable to march in parade.

Silsbee and Huffman the past few years. 

2008 Playoffs Silsbee won 

2009 Playoffs Silsbee won 

2010 Playoffs Huffman won 

2011 Playoffs Huffman won 

2012 Playoffs Silsbee won 

2014 District Huffman won

2015 District Huffman won

2016 District Silsbee won

2017 District Silsbee won

I think the series is 6-4 Silsbee as of today

On 8/31/2022 at 10:00 AM, Hagar said:

If you watch film on the Vidor vs Silsbee game, you’ll either bust out laughing or crying depending on your emotions at the time.  Vidor rarely has been a dominant team, but I haven’t seen them totally inept in a long time either, but Friday night, that describes them.  I can’t imagine why.  Very good last year.  Several good starters returning.  Undefeated JV.  That (normally) adds up to a bright season/team, but they were anything but.  That’s what has my head doing a 360.  It’s analogous to someone making crawfish etouffee.  They have fresh crawfish.  All the proper ingredients.  Everything is cooked to perfection.  You sit down to eat and it taste like 💩.  Why?  What happened?  I haven’t a clue.

Ok, just finished.   

Silsbee offense - The have some players.  Their line didn't show a lot of dominance but I don't think they needed to.  #1 out of the backfield with that I formation is nice.  They block it up well and huge holes.  Passing was good but those deep rainbow passes are going to be risky against that Huffman safety. Team so far revolves around #4, #1, and #40.  Going to be tough trying to stop all 3.  #16 is strong too.  Nothing to talk about after middle of the 3rd.  I think it was subs in for offense.

Silsbee defense - Hard to take anything away from the game so far.  The defense for Vidor will always be custom made.  Silsbee schemed it perfectly:

• Flow D-line hard slants to heavy side.
  • LBs to follow motion / move up to replace D-Lineman.
  • Boxing ends.

Vidor Defense - Hagar, I feel you.  This was tough to watch.  On almost every Silsbee gain, 3-4 Vidor players got their hands on the ball carrier.  And not like the Silsbee player was high stepping out of tackles, All he had to do was not stop or trip.  DB's were tripping and running into each other.  They are not pursuing the ball.  Probably why they keep missing tackles

Vidor Offense - When the linemen could get to the LBs, they were productive.  If you go back at look at Vidor's formation.  When they are balanced without motion, the D-Line goes to base and the blocking assignments get simple.  Vidor linemen at least get to the 2nd level and the ball can move.  The LB's lost their keys and had to read before attacking.  Lots of missed blocks for backs and pullers.  

Matchup with Huffman - The Huffman defense should have a better game against Silsbee than what Vidor brought last week.  But, if the tackling from Huffman does not get better than against Spring Legacy, Silsbee is going to put up a lot.

Falcon offense is better at moving the ball.  But the key is still about blocking those inside LBs.  I don't think Huffman can work outside without getting good performance from the inside.  Silsbee LBs are too fast and physical.  

Score Prediction - I ain't doing it....I've got a feeling...Naw....I ain't doing it.

1 hour ago, texbuzz said:

Ok, just finished.   

Silsbee offense - The have some players.  Their line didn't show a lot of dominance but I don't think they needed to.  #1 out of the backfield with that I formation is nice.  They block it up well and huge holes.  Passing was good but those deep rainbow passes are going to be risky against that Huffman safety. Team so far revolves around #4, #1, and #40.  Going to be tough trying to stop all 3.  #16 is strong too.  Nothing to talk about after middle of the 3rd.  I think it was subs in for offense.

Silsbee defense - Hard to take anything away from the game so far.  The defense for Vidor will always be custom made.  Silsbee schemed it perfectly:

• Boxing ends.

Vidor Defense - Hagar, I feel you.  This was tough to watch.  On almost every Silsbee gain, 3-4 Vidor players got their hands on the ball carrier.  And not like the Silsbee player was high stepping out of tackles, All he had to do was not stop or trip.  DB's were tripping and running into each other.  They are not pursuing the ball.  Probably why they keep missing tackles

Vidor Offense - When the linemen could get to the LBs, they were productive.  If you go back at look at Vidor's formation.  When they are balanced without motion, the D-Line goes to base and the blocking assignments get simple.  Vidor linemen at least get to the 2nd level and the ball can move.  The LB's lost their keys and had to read before attacking.  Lots of missed blocks for backs and pullers.  

Matchup with Huffman - The Huffman defense should have a better game against Silsbee than what Vidor brought last week.  But, if the tackling from Huffman does not get better than against Spring Legacy, Silsbee is going to put up a lot.

Falcon offense is better at moving the ball.  But the key is still about blocking those inside LBs.  I don't think Huffman can work outside without getting good performance from the inside.  Silsbee LBs are too fast and physical.  

Score Prediction - I ain't doing it....I've got a feeling...Naw....I ain't doing it.

Well done.

On 9/1/2022 at 5:33 PM, texbuzz said:

Ok, just finished.   

• Boxing ends.

Defense did not do any better than Vidor. Tackling…better.  But Silsbee was way better than Legacy. 

Offense couldn’t handle the front 7. 

Silsbee looked great. Penalties but still a great team.