Armed Citizen Stops Mass Shooting at Indiana Mall

bullets13

That has been making news a lot lately where a person kills the bad guy.

I always like the anti-gun people who I have seen many times make the statement, name a time when a good guy with a gun he stopped a bad guy with a gun.

In truth it probably happens a dozen times a day. I guess some people assume if they don’t see it in the news, it didn’t happen.

This is the hidden content, please

Seriously, when you read this you get the impression these liberals are actually aggravated that this guy killed the shooter & saved lives.  How sick is that?  I’m totally unable to understand their thoughts/actions.  They condemn the Good Samaritan for having a gun in the Mall.  Actually it confirms what I’ve been posting.  Their agenda comes before literally everything.  It saved lives - he’s a bad guy.  But he did good - nope, he’s a bad guy.  A good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy - he’s a bad guy for having a gun in the Mall.  Morals?  They have none.

3 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Pretty impressive how this young man responded to this, 10 shots, 8 hits, starting at a range of 40 yards, all while shooing folks out as he moved forward towards the shooter.

Dude must be a natural.  @tvc184 would like your opinion.  8 of 10 hits in that scenario.  That’d be impressive for a Navy Seal.  Guy has ice water in his veins.

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

Dude must be a natural.  @tvc184 would like your opinion.  8 of 10 hits in that scenario.  That’d be impressive for a Navy Seal.  Guy has ice water in his veins.

The guy did a great job, period.  At this time unless we see something radically different, any debate on that issue should stop. Of course there is always what if…..

Certainly eight out of 10 hits on target at 40 yard is good shooting. At least from the way I read the story, the guy said he used a wall as a rest so he could more accurately aim his fire. In doing so he likely shot a man who was not shooting back. Basically it was like shooting a target from a bench  rest. That does not detract whatsoever from what he accomplished but it might tend to show why he was able to get so many  hits on target.

2 hours ago, baddog said:

I’m surprised no one has asked why he shot so many times. Personally, I have no problem with it. It’s just that the left might call it overkill. I call it a necessity. 

Hopefully it was because he had a compact pistol and it ran out of bullets.

But you are correct, if two police officers would have walked up on the scene and both would’ve emptied their 17 round magazines in about four seconds, people would complain and ask why they had to shoot 34 times.

Because he was killing people and we could not call time out to evaluate the situation.…..

29 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Hopefully it was because he had a compact pistol and it ran out of bullets.

But you are correct, if two police officers would have walked up on the scene and both would’ve emptied their 17 round magazines in about four seconds, people would complain and ask why they had to shoot 34 times.

Because he was killing people and we could not call time out to evaluate the situation.…..

Can’t imagine that he hasn’t had some sort of active shooter training.  

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Can’t imagine that he hasn’t had some sort of active shooter training.  

I doubt that he has trained in active shooter however…. What is an active shooter?

Like a lot of terms or phrases today, it is kind of a made up term, maybe with no real definition. I guess anytime somebody fires a shot, he is actively shooting but  what does that mean in the media?

The most commonly accepted  idea of an active shooter is probably a person who is seeking out and shooting multiple people, usually in close proximity. If you would’ve told me my first five years in law-enforcement that I was en route to an active shooter call I would have said,huh?

In police active shooter training, which I guess would be the same for a civilian if there is such a school, is the tracking down of a person shooting and engaging him in a gun fight or hopefully killing him before he has a chance to return fire.  While anyone can train and there are certainly schools of how to engage and survive in a shooting incident, I kind of doubt that most civilians go to school that includes tracking down a suspect.

From what I read, I don’t think this young guy did. He walked out of maybe a restroom and heard shots and looked up and saw the bad guy. He pulled out a concealed handgun, leaned on a wall for support and then fired shots. I am just going out on a limb and guessing but he has probably fired a handgun at least a few times with marksmanship training. That is to go to a range and aim at a target and pull the trigger. It could even be what is commonly called plinking or shooting cans at such.

Mostly I’m just speculating on what may have happened. With the possibility of being completely wrong, I doubt that he actually has had any training in stopping an active shooter.

4 hours ago, Unwoke said:

Probably picked up his shooting Skillz from video games. 

Probably true.

That reminds me about 35 years ago when I got off patrol on the evening shift, changed  to jeans and a T-shirt and went to the bowling alley in Port Arthur about Midnight ….. remembering that this is about 20 years before smart phones were even invented and Xbox did not exist.

There was a game called Hogan’s Alley (named after Hogan’s Alley :)…. a simulated city) where you put your quarter in and you get a revolver, naturally attached to a reinforced electric cord…. just like the telephones. I guess it was probably one of the first commercial laser activated shooting games. They were two different scenarios. I can’t remember if you had to pick one or the other. One scenario was where three rotating target would slide out from the right and maybe two or three seconds later they would flip for you see which was a bad guy(s) or an innocent person. They were relatively small on the screen.  Of the three targets, there might be one or two bad guys. You had about three seconds to find the bad guy(s) and make kill shot(s) before the targets flipped back.  That is still a popular training technique at a real shooting range for the military, police and even civilians. It is not only marksmanship but also speed in recognition of a target. I think the movie Magnum Force with Clint Eastwood they show a version of Hogan’s Alley.

Anyway a few times I would go shoot the video game. I think it had three (or maybe five) misses and the game was over. A miss would be not shooting a bad guy or shooting an innocent person. While  it was entertaining and fun, it was rather simplistic because the guns didn’t recoil and very little noise. One time like on a Friday or Saturday night there was a bunch of teenagers and young adults in the game room….. remembering that I was in my 20s. A couple of people were playing the game and I finally got my turn. Most of the people went three or four levels before their turn was over. Naturally other people were waiting to play what was a pretty popular game at the time.

Other people were in line waiting and there were a few people standing around at other videos games. So I went through level one, then level two, then three, then four….. At about level 28 I looked around and I might have been 10-15 people standing behind me watching me shoot. Some guy in the crowd said something like, dude you should’ve been a police officer. Me?? No way!!! This is just for fun, I don’t wanna carry real guns.

All the while having my 4” duty revolver under my tshirt…… :) :) :)

25 cent video game gun training, old school style.  

The Magnum Force Hogan’s Alley scene….

Where Harry Callahan/Clint Eastwood intentionally missed a target with the other officer’s revolver so he can recover the slug later to prove he is a crooked cop…. For those that have not seen Magnum Force…

4 hours ago, tvc184 said:

The Magnum Force Hogan’s Alley scene….

Where Harry Callahan/Clint Eastwood intentionally missed a target with the other officer’s revolver so he can recover the slug later to prove he is a crooked cop…. For those that have not seen Magnum Force…

Love the ole Dirty Harry movies. Clint Eastwood is my favorite actor of all time. An I must say he’s a heck of a producer also. Recently watched Gran Torino and Unforgiven  again, great movies!

5 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I doubt that he has trained in active shooter however…. What is an active shooter?

Like a lot of terms or phrases today, it is kind of a made up term, maybe with no real definition. I guess anytime somebody fires a shot, he is actively shooting but  what does that mean in the media?

The most commonly accepted  idea of an active shooter is probably a person who is seeking out and shooting multiple people, usually in close proximity. If you would’ve told me my first five years in law-enforcement that I was en route to an active shooter call I would have said,huh?

In police active shooter training, which I guess would be the same for a civilian if there is such a school, is the tracking down of a person shooting and engaging him in a gun fight or hopefully killing him before he has a chance to return fire.  While anyone can train and there are certainly schools of how to engage and survive in a shooting incident, I kind of doubt that most civilians go to school that includes tracking down a suspect.

From what I read, I don’t think this young guy did. He walked out of maybe a restroom and heard shots and looked up and saw the bad guy. He pulled out a concealed handgun, leaned on a wall for support and then fired shots. I am just going out on a limb and guessing but he has probably fired a handgun at least a few times with marksmanship training. That is to go to a range and aim at a target and pull the trigger. It could even be what is commonly called plinking or shooting cans at such.

Mostly I’m just speculating on what may have happened. With the possibility of being completely wrong, I doubt that he actually has had any training in stopping an active shooter.

Still think he went through some sort of situational course, there are lots of them out there, many are actually called active shooter training.  I have actually considered taking one.

For him to react that fast he had played a similar scenario out, either mentally or imo actually by training for it.

I'm sure we'll know soon.

I had that conversation with somebody a while back.  If you take kid who has never picked up a weapon, but HAS spent hours and hours and hours playing first person shooters, you'd better believe that he/she is going to have some sense of tactics... how to hide, creep, fire from cover, etc... He's not going to be SEAL, but you'd better believe he could almost instinctively cause a lot of problems. 

About 15 years ago one of my friends invited me to so shoot at the Orange Gun Club with him... at that time I didn't even own a decent pistola.  He gave me a few pointers and turned me loose with one of his .45s.   He was impressed with my first grouping and I explained that we shot literally 1000s of rounds with pistols and rifles growing up.  The mechanics aren't something that you forget.  I like to think that I could maintain a calm focus if I was involved in an actual shooting, but that's just something you don't know until it occurs in real life.  

As much as I can't stand the people involved, I really believe that there's something to be said for practicing tactically when/where you can. 

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Still think he went through some sort of situational course, there are lots of them out there, many are actually called active shooter training.  I have actually considered taking one.

For him to react that fast he had played a similar scenario out, either mentally or imo actually by training for it.

I'm sure we'll know soon.

Going through it mentally before hand is sometimes way more important than shooting skills. I spent 10 years on swat, have gone to police survival schools, etc., and I heard a taught lesson which I agree with. I have seen it personally and in police shooting  videos.

The body will not go where the mind has not already gone. You will always think about it before the action. If you were starting from scratch like something just happened in front of you that you had never contemplated, you might hesitate a few seconds because you have not mentally prepared. You might act quickly soon after but there will be a pause while your mind races under adrenaline to figure out what is going to happen in the next two or three seconds. If you have played out a scenario in your mind a few times and gone through what you were doing, basically imagining a shoot out, then you’ll act much more instantly.

Your body will not go where your mind has not previously thought about it. It can be through scenarios in your mind over a period of weeks or months or years or it could be while you pause because something just happened that you had never anticipated.

You can punch all the targets in the world and thinking that the silhouette you’re shooting at is a human. In my opinion that is not sufficient enough.

I have never been to infantry training but I believe that when they were told to get down like to hear incoming artillery or they hear an explosion nearby, etc., they immediately hit the ground. They don’t stand for a three or four seconds and contemplate, hmmmmmm….. is that incoming artillery and could it kill me?  No, they have thought about it beforehand.

In my opinion it is the same principle with shooting.

I have witnessed with my owner eyes, spoken with officers who have been there and watched videos and I am convinced that thinking about shooting beforehand might be more important than practicing shooting and not thinking.

Anyway, training is great but not always a necessity. I might describe in another post some of the videos that I have seen including officers getting killed and you know it by their response to the threat that  they have never thought about what they might have been facing.