4 day school week

There are some advantages, but I can see more disadvantages. Kids who have free lunch may not get to eat on Fridays. I would think childcare would be an issue too for working parents. During football season, no more walking the halls with your jersey on or getting pumped at the pep rally before the game. Do the bus drivers take a pay cut? Do the lunch ladies and other supporting staff take a pay cut?

5 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

There are some advantages, but I can see more disadvantages. Kids who have free lunch may not get to eat on Fridays. I would think childcare would be an issue too for working parents. During football season, no more walking the halls with your jersey on or getting pumped at the pep rally before the game. Do the bus drivers take a pay cut? Do the lunch ladies and other supporting staff take a pay cut?

the very things that peaked my interest.

lol. my son graduated last year and he is home this week because University of Houston is on spring  break.  my wife and I were talking bout this a couple days ago, when my son comes around the corner and says "we'll I only go 2 days a week."  Smartass! I thought to myself about him.(one of the reasons I love him so much & he does have like 6 or 7 classes in those 2 days)  Just so happens they all are Tuesdays and Thursdays this semester.

I wonder if Teachers will stop crying about the fact that they aren't paid salaries comparable to people with full time jobs?   

I doubt it.  

That 187 day calendar is about to drop down to about 140/365 instead of the 240-250/365 that most Americans work. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.   

Educators collectively overestimate the value of their profession.

Always have, always will.  

24 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I wonder if Teachers will stop crying about the fact that they aren't paid salaries comparable to people with full time jobs?   

I doubt it.  

That 187 day calendar is about to drop down to about 140/365 instead of the 240-250/365 that most Americans work. 

School is not measured by days anymore. It's done by minutes. There is no more mandatory 187 days of school. You have to reach a minimum amount of instructional minutes. The minimum is 75,600 minutes plus 5 bonus school days of student instruction.

Ever how a school wants to reach those minutes is on them.

29 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

School is not measured by days anymore. It's done by minutes. There is no more mandatory 187 days of school. You have to reach a minimum amount of instructional minutes. The minimum is 75,600 minutes plus 5 bonus school days of student instruction.

Ever how a school wants to reach those minutes is on them.

They say 75,600 minutes for the same reason that oil is produced and sold by the barrel, but every time a ship plows up on the rocks somewhere, it's spilling oil in gallons.  

A little quick math says that you average about 2000 hours per year at a full time job.  Honestly it works out to be around 1920 hours if you get a couple of weeks of vacation and a couple of weeks of sick time.  I'm being generous.  Johnny Punchclock might not get two weeks of vacation and your sick time is necessarily used, but I'm just trying to be generous when I say 1920 hours for a typical American with a job that has nice benefits.

If you take your 75,600 minutes of instruction time and divide that by 60 minutes, you end up with roughly 1280 hours of instructional time.   Now, before you start yelling about grading papers, that instructional time students get actually INCLUDES a teachers conference period.... kids are instructed all through the day, even when the teacher is hanging out in the lounge flirting with the PE coach for a class period every day.  

It's a part time job.   Stop letting teachers pretend that they have a full time job.  

5 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

They say 75,600 minutes for the same reason that oil is produced and sold by the barrel, but every time a ship plows up on the rocks somewhere, it's spilling oil in gallons.  

A little quick math says that you average about 2000 hours per year at a full time job.  Honestly it works out to be around 1920 hours if you get a couple of weeks of vacation and a couple of weeks of sick time.  I'm being generous.  Johnny Punchclock might not get two weeks of vacation and your sick time is necessarily used, but I'm just trying to be generous when I say 1920 hours for a typical American with a job that has nice benefits.

If you take your 75,600 minutes of instruction time and divide that by 60 minutes, you end up with roughly 1280 hours of instructional time.   Now, before you start yelling about grading papers, that instructional time students get actually INCLUDES a teachers conference period.... kids are instructed all through the day, even when the teacher is hanging out in the lounge flirting with the PE coach for a class period every day.  

It's a part time job.   Stop letting teachers pretend that they have a full time job.  

I believe the exception to the rule are coaches. Especially high school football coaches/ teachers. They put in some hours. 

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

You sound bitter because you chose a wrong career path rather pursuing a cushy overpaid part time  career.

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I doubt it.  

I know.  Why do we even need teachers or universities?

I know all I need to know to survive(basic needs) without the convenient ways of society but the ways of the modern world make it very difficulty to call anything our own without  conforming…..even if just a lil.  

Saying all that….if you don’t want the collapse of an economy that’s foundations are set on the “so called” mighty dollar bill.  Teachers are very important.

2 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

I know.  Why do we even need teachers or universities?

I know all I need to know to survive(basic needs) without the convenient ways of society but the ways of the modern world make it very difficulty to call anything our own without  conforming…..even if just a lil.  

Saying all that….if you don’t want the collapse of an economy that’s foundations are set on the “so called” mighty dollar bill.  Teachers are very important.

If their job was important, society would demand that they do it year ‘round. 

Do hospitals get to shut down for summer? No, they’re vital. Most businesses and jobs require constant inputs of work. Even daycares are open all year long because people actually NEED those. 

4 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I was only pointing out that school goes by minutes now, not days.

I already know how you feel about teachers.

9 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

If their job was important, society would demand that they do it year ‘round. 

Do hospitals get to shut down for summer? No, they’re vital. Most businesses and jobs require constant inputs of work. Even daycares are open all year long because people actually NEED those. 

I’m a proponent of year long school 

whose going to run those hospitals and businesses?