Shooting in Bryan

Hagar

Shooting took place at 3pm.   Still no identity of the shooter.   I suspect he’s not white.  Had he been white, we’d be hearing the usual headlines.  I could be wrong, but based on past events, I doubt it.

Prayers for the victims.   ✝️✝️✝️

This is the hidden content, please

8 minutes ago, Realville said:

Speaking of shootings. Does anyone know why the name of the Capitol police officer that shot an killed Ashley Babbitt on the 6th January has still not been released? Maybe his name was released an I just missed it which is possible.

Haven’t seen it either. Inmagawetrust should have already asked someone to post his pic. 

4 hours ago, Realville said:

Speaking of shootings. Does anyone know why the name of the Capitol police officer that shot an killed Ashley Babbitt on the 6th January has still not been released? Maybe his name was released an I just missed it which is possible.

grand jury cleared him so his identity wasn't released for his own safety.  

5 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

questionable shooting? you're joking, right?

Just telling you what’s been put out in the fake news. Lol. There is video of officers coming up the stairs right behind her before she was shot. Not saying she should have been trying to breach the barricade just telling you the little bit I’ve read an seen. 

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Air Force veteran killed during the storming of the Capitol was shot as she began to climb through the broken part of a door leading into an area known as the Speaker’s Lobby, videos posted online show.

Minutes before the shooting Wednesday, the large crowd of angry pro-Trump loyalists, one carrying an American flag, taunted several police officers whose backs were to the barricaded doors. Members of the mob sought to force their way into the long corridor, which is just outside the House chamber where members of Congress were supposed to be meeting to certify the results of the 2020 presidential election. 

One man punched the glass over the shoulder of an officer, cracking it. Others shouted profanities at the police and at the members of Congress who can be seen through the glass. 

Then, in one of the videos, the officers who’d been guarding the doors into the Speaker’s Lobby are seen moving away from the entry.

As an unidentified person yells “Go, bust it down,” Ashli Babbitt, 35, wearing a stars and stripes backpack, steps up and begins to go through the waist-high opening when a gunshot is heard. She falls backward. Another video shows other unidentified people attempting to lift Babbitt up. She slumps back to the ground.

The brief moments captured in the clips, posted on YouTube and Twitter, show the chaotic and often violent moments before Babbitt’s death Wednesday. Capitol Police on Thursday identified Babbitt, of San Diego, as the woman who was fatally shot.

The video clips underscore the hostility and confusion just before Babbitt’s death. A third video shows the gunshot was fired by an unidentified officer inside the Speaker’s Lobby just as other officers wearing helmets and toting weapons had moved up the stairs behind the crowd and had arrived just outside the door. One of them raises his weapon toward the Lobby doors and then quickly lowers it. 

The inside of the Speaker’s Lobby appears to be mostly empty at that point, and chairs have been stacked against the doors on the inside.

The U.S. Capitol Police said in a statement Thursday that members of Congress were sheltering-in-place as rioters were forcing their way toward the House chamber.

“A sworn USCP employee discharged their service weapon, striking an adult female,” whom Capitol Police identified as Babbitt. 

The videos suggest a lack of communication between the officers, said Mark Lomax, who was executive director of the National Tactical Officers Association, and is now CEO of the consulting firm Lancer Cobbs.

There were police on the protesters side, engaged and embedded with these individuals,” he said. “It did not seem like a threatening situation for the officers.” 

But the officer on the other side of the door who shot must have perceived a threat, he said. 

Geoffrey Alpert, a criminology professor and use of force expert at the University of South Carolina, questioned why the officers blocking the door walked away before the tactical officers coming up the stairs took their place.

“That didn’t make sense,” he said. “Things could have been avoided with them waiting 30 seconds probably.” 

Wednesday’s pro-Trump rampage at the Capitol shocked other countries around the world and led to the resignations of three senior Capitol security officials over the failure to stop the breach.

3 minutes ago, Realville said:

Just telling you what’s been put out in the fake news. Lol. There is video of officers coming up the stairs right behind her before she was shot. Not saying she should have been trying to breach the barricade just telling you the little bit I’ve read an seen. 

I just watched clear videos from two different angles.   the videos do show the tactical officers coming up the stairs behind her.  They didn't get there in time to keep her from breaching, though.  Maybe if they had they could've kept her from trying to go through.  But at the time she tried to breach there were still politicians in the hall she was trying to enter.  It was a little different later when a bunch of idiots were running around an empty building stealing podiums and stuff. I admire the white house police's restraint throughout the whole ordeal.  They could've legally and justifiably shot a LOT of people throughout the invasion, insurrection, whatever you want to call it.  

16 minutes ago, Realville said:

Either way I find it odd that the officers name has not been released. 

I'm not sure if it's because it's govt police, or because he shot someone from a group that was so radical they literally broke down doors to the govt.  I think there's a legitimate argument that he's in danger if his identity is released.  I honestly do not don't know if any agency involved has any legal obligation to identify the officer since he's been cleared.  @tvc184 probably has a much better understanding of this.  

34 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I'm not sure if it's because it's govt police, or because he shot someone from a group that was so radical they literally broke down doors to the govt.  I think there's a legitimate argument that he's in danger if his identity is released.  I honestly do not don't know if any agency involved has any legal obligation to identify the officer since he's been cleared.  @tvc184 probably has a much better understanding of this.  

There were some radical elements there disguised for sure. Oddly I as far as know there were no shots fired by the protesters.

8 hours ago, InMAGAWeTrust said:

Nice ASSumption! Quality SETX topic.  

Once again you show your lack of intelligence.   First, the “topic” is Shooting in Bryan.  Secondly, I didn’t assume, I was suspicious.  I even posted, “I could be wrong”.  I made no assumption.  You really ought to wait until you graduate from Jr High before posting.

12 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Freedom of information depends on the jurisdiction where it occurs. Just like other laws, each state or the federal government has laws that dictate what may be released, what must be released and what cannot be released. These different depending on jurisdiction.

What I find difficult to understand is this..... if you “breach” a wall at the Capitol, you will be shot dead with no consequences for the officer. If this same person were to throw Molotov cocktails at buildings with people inside them, it’s considered peaceful protesting. Also, you can “breach” Wal Mart for that big screen TV you have been wanting and get a pat on the back. No shots fired at all, not even pepper spray. 

1 hour ago, Realville said:

Why did they release Kim Potters name? They shouldn’t have. They didn’t release Ashli Babbitt’s killers name. Why do they only protect some officers?

Different jurisdictions.

This country was created to allow each state or community to set its own standards. If you don’t like the laws you can vote in new people to change them or move.

We get in forums and complain or be happy about the laws in our different states/communities but then complain when the laws are different.

A freedom of information law is like any other and depends on location. There is no universal “you have to tell me” law.

Maybe more than any other concept, the fact that there are few common laws is not understood by likely a vast majority of people.  

10 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Different jurisdictions.

This country was created to allow each state or community to set its own standards. If you don’t like the laws you can vote in new people to change them or move.

We get in forums and complain or be happy about the laws in our different states/communities but then complain when the laws are different.

A freedom of information law is like any other and depends on location. There is no universal “you have to tell me” law.

Maybe more than any other concept, the fact that there are few common laws is not understood by likely a vast majority of people.  

I am aware it’s 2 different jurisdictions. I just find it odd an I am stating it so on this forum. Thank you

3 hours ago, baddog said:

What I find difficult to understand is this..... if you “breach” a wall at the Capitol, you will be shot dead with no consequences for the officer. If this same person were to throw Molotov cocktails at buildings with people inside them, it’s considered peaceful protesting. Also, you can “breach” Wal Mart for that big screen TV you have been wanting and get a pat on the back. No shots fired at all, not even pepper spray. 

Yours is roughly the same answer. They are different jurisdictions, different laws, under different mayors or governors and different prosecutors. It is like comparing apples to lawnmowers.

Also usually terms  like breaching are news media terms, not legal terms. And example is sometimes I see people in various forums  saying that if you carry a rifle in public, it is brandishing a firearm. Texas  just does not use the term brandishing in any context. It has no legal bearing and meaningless as far as an argument but I have seen people question why a person wasn’t arrested for brandishing. Terms or phrases like Castle doctrine, stand your ground, extension of your home, etc., are news media explanations  of what the media thinks the law might be. Even self defense varies greatly in different states.  What is completely legal in one state might be murder in another.

8 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Yours is roughly the same answer. They are different jurisdictions, different laws, under different mayors or governors and different prosecutors. It is like comparing apples to lawnmowers.

Also usually terms  like breaching are news media terms, not legal terms. And example is sometimes I see people in various forums  saying that if you carry a rifle in public, it is brandishing a firearm. Texas  just does not use the term brandishing in any context. It has no legal bearing and meaningless as far as an argument but I have seen people question why a person wasn’t arrested for brandishing. Terms or phrases like Castle doctrine, stand your ground, extension of your home, etc., are news media explanations  of what the media thinks the law might be. Even self defense varies greatly in different states.  What is completely legal in one state might be murder in another.

Apples to lawnmowers? So, if this same dead woman had breached (terminology has no effect on me) the D.C. Wal Mart she would have survived, with no shots even being fired. Same mayor. 
I don’t care much for the officer’s name being revealed. 

1 hour ago, baddog said:

Apples to lawnmowers? So, if this same dead woman had breached (terminology has no effect on me) the D.C. Wal Mart she would have survived, with no shots even being fired. Same mayor. 
I don’t care much for the officer’s name being revealed. 

I’d like to know his name and how long he’s been a officer.