Lumberton 80 Silsbee 70/FINAL

WOSgrad

On 2/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, Tigers94 said:

Actually this was always supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Tigers. We've lost a ton of great athletes over these past few years. So this is "bad Silsbee" by our standards.

Not many teams in this area besides United can lose what we've lost and still be able to compete like we do.

It’s hard to have the kind of athletes that Silsbee produces most every year it seems. With the likes of McCain, Adams and Bush and throw Barnes etc in the mix...I’ve been a basketball junkie for a looong time and I can’t remember a bad Silsbee team...  Maybe when AAW played. Lol.  

Guest mrtomcat
16 hours ago, Benchwarmer9 said:

That team lost 4 starters last year plus the 6th man, lumberton is pretty young also. Gotta give credit where credit is due Lumberton wasn’t picked to make the playoffs, Coach Mitchell has done a dang good job with group. 

So let me get this straight..........and by no means am I trying to be the antagonist here but you are telling me that a SETX BASKETBALL TEAM (4a) WITH A D1 starter returning on the BASKETBALL team, was not picked to make the playoffs?   Man, my mind is blown if thats true.

2 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

So let me get this straight..........and by no means am I trying to be the antagonist here but you are telling me that a SETX BASKETBALL TEAM (4a) WITH A D1 starter returning on the BASKETBALL team, was not picked to make the playoffs?   Man, my mind is blown if thats true.

It’s called the Lumberton Curse. Lol. 

20 minutes ago, mrtomcat said:

Yep, only thing I can think of is they lost 4 starters from last years team with only like 2 returning  varsity players coming back so people felt like they would have a bad year.. I have no clue. 

District 22
1. Silsbee
2. Little Cypress-Mauriceville
3. Bridge City
4. Orangefield 

tabc district picks 

21 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Well at least we won the dunk count 🙂

I don't think I ever seen a Raider attempt a dunk in a game, at least not against us. They got a kid that puts on a pretty good show in warmups, but I don't think they let him play.

I really don't believe Silsbee is gonna beat Lumberton by 40 - 50 points next year either. This is new Lumberton with a good coach and kids that play hard for him. I know we've got decades of mental conditioning to overcome when it comes to this, so it can be pretty hard to do.

You know that decades of mental conditioning goes both ways. I think a lot of winning teams have the mentality that they can't be beat and that gives them an edge, that is in all sports. That's why you have smaller schools like WOS kicking everybodies butts in football all of the time or Silsbbe being a kinpin in basketball or even Lumberton having two of the best soccer teams in the area, it's the mentality and expectation of winning.

2 hours ago, mrtomcat said:

You have it straight and your mind is rightfully blown.  Honestly there would be few, if any, 4A districts in the state where a player the caliber of McClure and a coach the caliber of Mitchell wouldn’t finish in the top 4.  Maybe one in the metroplex 

Guest mrtomcat
14 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

You have it straight and your mind is rightfully blown.  Honestly there would be few, if any, 4A districts in the state where a player the caliber of McClure and a coach the caliber of Mitchell wouldn’t finish in the top 4.  Maybe one in the metroplex 

Then how does this happen?  Did our sports guru's in setx miss the mark as well ?  

10 hours ago, no-look said:

It’s hard to have the kind of athletes that Silsbee produces most every year it seems. With the likes of McCain, Adams and Bush and throw Barnes etc in the mix...I’ve been a basketball junkie for a looong time and I can’t remember a bad Silsbee team...  Maybe when AAW played. Lol.  

Back in my day, if there was a 3 point line, I would have averaged 3.3 points a game instead of 2.2.