West Brook's Flanigan Placed on Administrative Leave

WOSgrad

9 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

For those who have a hard time understanding and others who agree with ANYTHING, installing hidden cameras where boys are undressing and dressing is not right.  I bet your think differently if the guy installed hidden cameras in the girl's locker room.  

Think about it, of course we would.  There is a difference between the boys and girls, political correctness be damned.  It is clear the intent of the coach was to protect his players.  Much more care would have to be used if this involved girls and I for one get that.

10 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

And for a coach that everyone looks up to, for him to knowing my go against the grain just tells me everything I need to know...  he's a 'cowboy vigilante', ala Zimmerman.....

Did you honestly compare him to Zimmerman? Soulja you really falling off these days man. 

The man was trying to stop his kids stuff from being stolen and read this carefully, PUT THE CAMERAS GOING WHEN THE PLAYERS WERE NOT EVEN IN THE LOCKER ROOM. 

Now, a law maybe was still broken but he did a admirable thing in doing it when the kids were not even in the building. He caught thieves and you compare him to George Zimmerman who shot someone? 

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

Did you honestly compare him to Zimmerman? Soulja you really falling off these days man. 

The man was trying to stop his kids stuff from being stolen and read this carefully, PUT THE CAMERAS GOING WHEN THE PLAYERS WERE NOT EVEN IN THE LOCKER ROOM. 

Now, a law maybe was still broken but he did a admirable thing in doing it when the kids were not even in the building. He caught thieves and you compare him to George Zimmerman who shot someone? 

Zimmerman acted out like a super vigilante, took it into his own hands...  WB Coach did the same thing...  I don't know how much clearer I can be with the comparison, man.

8 hours ago, TXFBfan said:

Think about it, of course we would.  There is a difference between the boys and girls, political correctness be damned.  It is clear the intent of the coach was to protect his players.  Much more care would have to be used if this involved girls and I for one get that.

Ok...  And that a the problem in people's eyes...  this is EXACTLY how fools like Sandusky was able to do what he did for so long...  YOUR mentality.  

Well, while you hold them different, I'll continued to see it for what it is...  girls OR boys can be equally violated.

I work for a large corporation. If I go to my boss, or for that matter if any employee of that boss does, with an ALLEGED impropriety and my boss doesn't act on it that makes the boss just as liable as the guilty party. If Flanigan went to BISD about this issue and they didn't act then I'm pretty sure they are as liable as Flanigan. Coach made a mistake that he tried to justify because his superiors didn't act upon the theft allegation. Both are at fault.

On 11/26/2016 at 3:08 PM, BMTSoulja1 said:

Not butthurt at all, just calling out stupidity , that's all.  My point is that all of our area districts haven't  been perfect, but leave it to most like you, anytime something pops off and BISD is mentioned, the BISD had just surfaces..  but when it happens elsewhere, it's rarely talked about...

And what school do you support?

First, don't group me with any one else or any other group. My posts and my thoughts, are mine, and mine alone. If someone else thinks the same way, that is their right, but I don't care.

I never said anything about BISD.  I did comment on your statement where you told someone they were from Nederland, and they should not say a thing. I understood this to mean that if you were not from BISD, you could not comment. Regardless, it matters not where you are from, you can comment here on any subject presented.

I commented on a situation, and it does not make any difference where it took place. I don't have an axe to grind with any school.

You look at my name, and see the logo and ask what school I support? Seriously?

Sounds like a simple solution to me.  Or...simple prevention.

Issue every kid in the athletic program a lock and a locker.  If they don't put their stuff in their locker...then it's on them if things are stolen.  If they don't use the lock to keep their stuff secure...then it's on them if things are stolen.  If locks are being cut and lockers being broken into, let the police handle it.  Coaches are being paid to play detective. 

Anyone that puts a video camera in or near a locker room or bathroom is asking to be fired.  Maybe arrested. Sorry...but that's the truth.

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Issue every kid in the athletic program a lock and a locker.  If they don't put their stuff in their locker...then it's on them if things are stolen.  If they don't use the lock to keep their stuff secure...then it's on them if things are stolen.  If locks are being cut and lockers being broken into, let the police handle it.  Coaches are being paid to play detective. 

Anyone that puts a video camera in or near a locker room or bathroom is asking to be fired.  Sorry...but that's the truth.

So if I leave my house unlocked and someone walks in and steals something it's on me? I get your logic of they should have just locked their stuff up, but at the same time it doesn't matter if it's locked or not locked or not a lock anywhere in site, if someone steals something they are the ones at fault. Period.

4 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

So if I leave my house unlocked and someone walks in and steals something it's on me? I get your logic of they should have just locked their stuff up, but at the same time it doesn't matter if it's locked or not locked or not a lock anywhere in site, if someone steals something they are the ones at fault. Period.

I keep my doors locked on my house every time I leave.  And I have security cameras facing every entrance.  And I have insurance.  And I have a 600 pound fireproof, floodproof gun safe where I keep my valuables.  Does that mean it's impossible for someone to break into my house and steal something?  Of course not.  But precautions were taken.

If a coach is using precautions (lockers with locks)... then that's all they are required to do.

Of course, I'm not placing blame on the kids... but if they weren't keeping their stuff locked up, then they weren't using proper prevention.

Do you seriously leave your house unlocked?  Better yet...would you drive to the mall in Beaumont, leave your car running with the door open, and go into the mall for several hours?  

11 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I keep my doors locked on my house every time I leave.  And I have security cameras facing every entrance.  And I have insurance.  And I have a 600 pound fireproof, floodproof gun safe where I keep my valuables.  Does that mean it's impossible for someone to break into my house and steal something?  Of course not.  But precautions were taken.

If a coach is using precautions (lockers with locks)... then that's all they are required to do.

Of course, I'm not placing blame on the kids... but if they weren't keeping their stuff locked up, then they weren't using proper prevention.

Do you seriously leave your house unlocked?  Better yet...would you drive to the mall in Beaumont, leave your car running with the door open, and go into the mall for several hours?  

No that was just hypothetical.

3 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

No that was just hypothetical.

But you kind of proved my point.  If you wouldn't leave your house and car unlocked... why would you think it's ok for kids to leave lockers unlocked?

I don't even know the situation.  I'm just saying give the kids a locker and a lock.  Beyond that, nothing else is necessary.  Unless you want to risk losing your job.

8 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

But you kind of proved my point.  If you wouldn't leave your house and car unlocked... why would you think it's ok for kids to leave lockers unlocked?

I don't even know the situation.  I'm just saying give the kids a locker and a lock.  Beyond that, nothing else is necessary.  Unless you want to risk losing your job.

It's not ok. But the thief is still at fault regardless of whether it was locked or not.

14 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Locks in locker rooms don't always work.  I have a case number from the West Orange Police Department from 1984 to prove it.

3 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

It's not ok. But the thief is still at fault regardless of whether it was locked or not.

I don't guess you understand what I'm saying.  I'M NOT DEFENDING THE THIEF.  I'm just saying that the coach's ONLY responsibility is to provide players with a way to keep their belongings safe. If he does...and they don't do that...then they are NOT preventing their things from being stolen.  Therefore should not be surprised...or upset...if their things are stolen.  No, it doesn't make it ok.  Yes, the thief should suffer the full extent of the rules/law if caught.  But it is not the coach's job to catch the thief.  Just to make an attempt to prevent things from being stolen.

If a kid tells me they had something stolen out of their locker the first thing I'm asking is "Was your locker locked?  If not...what am I expected to do?  Put up a camera and maybe get fired or arrested because players didn't prevent things from being stolen...?"

The answer is no.  

4 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

Locks in locker rooms don't always work.  I have a case number from the West Orange Police Department from 1984 to prove it.

I don't suppose you've been reading my posts on the subject.  Did I say locks would prevent something from being stolen?  No, I did not.  I just said that providing a lock is the extent of the coach's responsibility on this matter.

2 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I don't guess you understand what I'm saying.  I'M NOT DEFENDING THE THIEF.  I'm just saying that the coach's ONLY responsibility is to provide players with a way to keep their belongings safe. If he does...and they don't do that...then they are NOT preventing their things from being stolen.  Therefore should not be surprised...or upset...if their things are stolen.  No, it doesn't make it ok.  Yes, the thief should suffer the full extent of the rules/law if caught.  But it is not the coach's job to catch the thief.  Just to make an attempt to prevent things from being stolen.

If a kid tells me they had something stolen out of their locker the first thing I'm asking is "Was your locker locked?  If not...what am I expected to do?  Put up a camera and maybe get fired or arrested because players didn't prevent things from being stolen...?"

The answer is no.  

I see what you mean, good point.

I guess the only thing that can justify his actions is supposedly it happened several times and supposedly he tried informing someone higher up to no avail.. Right now that's all speculation. 

Curious to see how this turns out. I coached in Bmt for a few years and know many of the coaches. Know many of the struggles that they go through. They all have good intent in teaching these kids more than just football skills, but life lessons! They all teach that a Football Team is a family. No matter race, background, politics, or religion. A high school football locker room is one of the few places left like this today! You stand up for your Your Team! Your Family! You Protect Your House! We never had to lock up anything! We held each other accountable! Coaches and players! Guess times have changed! Just saying!

2 minutes ago, Raider24 said:

Curious to see how this turns out. I coached in Bmt for a few years and know many of the coaches. Know many of the struggles that they go through. They all have good intent in teaching these kids more than just football skills, but life lessons! They all teach that a Football Team is a family. No matter race, background, politics, or religion. A high school football locker room is one of the few places left like this today! You stand up for your Your Team! Your Family! You Protect Your House! We never had to lock up anything! We held each other accountable! Coaches and players! Guess times have changed! Just saying!

I guess they have changed even since I was in school, because honestly I rarely ever used my lock.... guilty as charged lol

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

Anyone that puts a video camera in or near a locker room or bathroom is asking to be fired.  Maybe arrested. Sorry...but that's the truth.

That's how it use to be at WB, of course that was 25 years ago. Lol

2 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

AMEN!

Fall of 1978, Ronnie Thompson's first season as head coach at TJ.We had the honor system, no locks on  lockers cause we are family and a Team. During after school practice things are coming up missing in mainly the varsity locker room.. So....one of our smaller managers is left in the equipment room and placed in a cabinet with a hole drilled so he has a Birdseye view of what's going on. Suspects are identified that day and told to report to the coachs office first thing the following morning. Coach informs the team at the end of practice and stresses that culprits will be in his office at said time. Next morning before school starts the culprits are addressed by coach then funneled out a door and into the arms of the varsity football team..... problem solved.