BISD's additional cuts could include athletics

CraigS

http://www.12newsnow.com/story/26265915/bisds-additional-cuts-could-include-athletics-and-police-force-tax-rate-hike-also-considered

Sports in schools, what's the main purpose anyway?

A) Athletic Scholarship
B ) School Pride
C) Keep kids off the streets and in school
D)_____________(other)

A) Most if not all (other than football) are earned in a "club" or "select" atmosphere anyway
B ) IMO the most reasonable purpose because in most cases (other than football) it's watered down competition anyway, so it really serves no other purpose.
C) This is a parenting issue and could be a topic of it's own (schools shouldn't be babysitters before, during, or after school)
D) To give a person the highlight of their life, when i played ____ (fill in the blank) in high school, i was this, or I was that, and I made the All _____(fill in the blank) team....I was good man.

Moving in the direction public school intermural sports would not be a bad thing....wanna play...PAY! It's not a "right" , they don't "deserve" the opportunity, HS sports shouldn't be the highlight of your life.

What about the "poor" kids? Well, they exist in "club" or "select" sports already....fundraisers and/or sponsors pay for them to play....I would know (15 years in select sports...softball) Several kids (almost like my own) that would otherwise not have been able to attend college, have gotten scholarships, including from our select organization.

And before I get bashed - my kid is a Div I athlete....honor student. Nothing HS sports contributed to that. Did she enjoy it...absolutely! Did she learn things other than or different than her club/select program? Sure, but that's not where she got seen by her college coaches.

Point being, her personal work ethics (academics and athletics) is what gained her, her opportunity, along with exposure outside of HS sports....

Are HS sports really needed? (leave emotions out of the equations) 

I believe so. HS sports has been the greatest or only reason for many kids to try and succeed in the classroom. It's a great experience for kids, and teaches many life lessons. I don't believe sports should be cut anymore than I believe fine arts should be cut. Now I will say, one area that sports could be cut to save money is the amount of coaches involved. A HS program can get by without needing all of the following: head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, a qb coach, RB coach, wr coach, o-line and d-line coaches, conditioning coaches, etc. throw in the jv coaches, freshman coaches, etc., and that's a lot of money spent on coaches. Also, I know that some of the middle schools in the district have 5 or 6 coaches who's function at the school is to coach sports and PE. It seems like some positions could be cut throughout the district in that area to save money, without really hurting the students.

I think football and other extra curricular activities are necessary simply for fun and interest in school. There need to be enjoyable interest in school. If we just focus on the three Rs students lose interest in school.

Budget cuts in those areas should probably be done but can be done without eliminating programs.

High School sports are definitely needed.  School pride is built in large part due to the rallying around the teams.  For many students that is the reason that keeps them coming to school, making good grades, and attending regularly.  Also for many the coaches are the only moms or dads in their lives.  The only people that have ever truly taken an interest in them.  Sports teaches life lessons , to dig down deep when your back is against the wall, teamwork, etc...Yes High School sports are needed today....more than ever.  Select sports (aka daddy ball) totally miss the point. 

I understand that cuts need to be made, but I fail to understand how crowding the classrooms is a solution when test scores aren't where they need to be. They expect the schools to run @ bare minimum, Admin needs to run @ bare Min also. Trim some additional Fat. Laying off Teachers & making classes larger isn't the solution. We will see how this works. SMH

There are some pretty smart guys up there now trying to figure out the best way to handle the police dept. I feel pretty confident that they will get it right.

For the price that BISD pays for a PD they could hire BPD for many thousands of hours a year. They won't have total control over them however and they would be enforcing state law and not selected laws.