BISD's additional cuts could include athletics

CraigS

I think it's a necessary cut but it will come with some collateral damage.

Single parent homes where the parent is working evenings or nights and are not able to pick their child up will be hurt by these cuts. They will have to find family or friends to help pick their child up or have them walk home. May not effect the junior or senior student as much, but middle school and 9th will have some issues.

I think it's a necessary cut but it will come with some collateral damage.

Single parent homes where the parent is working evenings or nights and are not able to pick their child up will be hurt by these cuts. They will have to find family or friends to help pick their child up or have them walk home. May not effect the junior or senior student as much, but middle school and 9th will have some issues.

buy them a bicycle.

why do kids now days believe they are too good to ride a bike?

Today's environment is just not the same as many years ago. Gone are the days of a kid able to ride a bike or walk 2 miles home from practice and be safe from predators. Just a different world these days.

Remember, this is not just athletics. This cut is for all after school activities. (band, academic contests, cheerleading, etc.) Could be some young girls having to walk home those two miles. ;)

Again, I agree with the cuts, but there will be some collateral damage.

Today's environment is just not the same as many years ago. Gone are the days of a kid able to ride a bike or walk 2 miles home from practice and be safe from predators. Just a different world these days.

Remember, this is not just athletics. This cut is for all after school activities. (band, academic contests, cheerleading, etc.) Could be some young girls having to walk home those two miles. ;)

Again, I agree with the cuts, but there will be some collateral damage.

There is a young man from Silsbee (now plays for Lamar, and a lineman at that - big boy) that rode his bike to school in the summer so he wouldn't miss his time in the weight room. He lives about 6-8 miles north of town...he would ride in - work out - then ride the 6-8 miles back home........and that was within "Today's environment" - then again, I know this kids parents well, and a handout or "making it easy" or whatever the excuse is doesn't fly with them - just saying!

There is a young man from Silsbee (now plays for Lamar, and a lineman at that - big boy) that rode his bike to school in the summer so he wouldn't miss his time in the weight room. He lives about 6-8 miles north of town...he would ride in - work out - then ride the 6-8 miles back home........and that was within "Today's environment" - then again, I know this kids parents well, and a handout or "making it easy" or whatever the excuse is doesn't fly with them - just saying!

I know exactly who you are talking about. A big ole offensive lineman riding a bike is a little different than a middle school cheerleader walking two miles home. ;)

I also know that there is a difference between Beaumont Texas and Silsbee Texas.

He wasn't a 13 year old girl cheerleader.

How many other districts provide transportation from after school activities?  Just curious...

I know Warren does/did due to large school district (from Warren to Fred) 20+ miles apart

WOS - used to also -if I remember correctly the discontinued it a few years back due to budget issues as well.

Like I stated, I agree with the cuts. BISD has to make these adjustments to get the district back on good financial ground.

I am just being realistic in the fact that there will be some hurt by these cuts. Not making any excuses or saying the "system owes". It's just a hard fact of life that will force some to make some hard decisions.

Extracurricular.....though good for students....it s not necessary nor a right.

I was at la porte for several years  though not as big as Beaumont but still a good size school....no bus transportation for extracurricular.....parents never had an issue with it.  Because they didn't expect the school district to do the parents' job.

also like others have stated you want it bad enough find a way.  ask for a ride from a teammate's parents that live close by, other family members, travel in a group, ride a bike, etc etc

Like I stated, I agree with the cuts. BISD has to make these adjustments to get the district back on good financial ground.

I am just being realistic in the fact that there will be some hurt by these cuts. Not making any excuses or saying the "system owes". It's just a hard fact of life that will force some to make some hard decisions.

If they want to play, they will find a way.

I agree with the cuts but the district needs to continue transporting for any program that is currently underway. Parents and students started the program with transportation being provided. Parents and students need fair warning if transportation is discontinued. Eliminate transportation for upcoming programs.

Many program practices end after dark. It's a little impractical to say they should walk or ride their bike for miles.

if junior highs would go back to allowing athletics within the daily schedule with added 1 hour practice before/after school....students would be home before dark.

example       8th grade 1hour practice before school leading into

1st period 8th grade athletics

2nd-7 period education classes

8th period 7th grade athletics leading into

1 hour practice after school

pretty simple and it works......I ve done it.

the problem lies with parents wanting everything easy for them

Also, riding your bike during the day time during summer is a little different than riding it home at midnight on a school night.

Not saying you are. I am just saying anyone that "cries" or "complains" about it IS....otherwise why not just be thankful for the bus service while you had it....now make adjustments....to me it's a NON issue. It shouldn't have been put in place in the first place.