More BISD mess

AggiesAreWe

I really don't understand how the school board has any support at this point.  Other than the one or two who have been openly fighting the majority for the last few years, it seems to me that they were either complicit in how we've gotten to this point, or, almost as bad, willfully ignorant.  Either way, wholesale changes should have been demanded by their voters long ago.  I only hope that when the elections are instituted again, serious lessons have been learned.  This has been an embarrassing black eye for the city and an injustice for our kids.

If the state takes over today, there still will be layoffs tomorrow. Stop wasting money and get on with it. Personally, I want every person on the board replaced because they allowed this to happen. None of them were doing their job. Everybody warned that no one would be happy if the state took over.

I just wonder where all this "community action" was in 1995 when the state was going to take over BISD because the students couldn't read. Everybody (me too) complained about Dr. Thomas' salary but I know he got his contract because the others turned down the job and they begged him to take it. He initially withdrew from consideration.

I ll take boring for 2 years to right this ship.....

Staying out of the news means your doing something right......cause seldom do we hear good news on anything via the NEWS.

REMEMBER "EDUCATION" is about the students and the future of our community, state, and country.

The examiner may go out of business when the state takes over....

I ll take boring for 2 years to right this ship.....

Staying out of the news means your doing something right......cause seldom do we hear good news on anything via the NEWS.

REMEMBER "EDUCATION" is about the students and the future of our community, state, and country.

The examiner may go out of business when the state takes over....

LOL!!!! 

I really don't understand how the school board has any support at this point.  Other than the one or two who have been openly fighting the majority for the last few years, it seems to me that they were either complicit in how we've gotten to this point, or, almost as bad, willfully ignorant.  Either way, wholesale changes should have been demanded by their voters long ago.  I only hope that when the elections are instituted again, serious lessons have been learned.  This has been an embarrassing black eye for the city and an injustice for our kids.

I've said those other two board members are sham artist as well. One of them was caught doing the very thing he "despises". No sympathy for those two guys either. We talk about Race, those two used race as a way to ride under the radar & throw stones & hide their hands. Just as we claim Dr Chag new about Dr Thomas, surely therse two members were in on quite a few shady dealings as well. I guess Hipocracy only goes so far with these two. If we're moving in another direction, why bring old dusty furniture into your new digs?

Wake up!!!!  By the way, TEA ain't raising as much Hell as they claimed they would. Say what you want, this board doesn't seem as dumb as it appears either.  Just an observational opinion :lol: 

They voted for teacher cuts and closing Austin Middle - no surprise.  We will see how many "administration" jobs actually get cut.  :rolleyes:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Don-t-appeal-crowd-chants-to-board-5575229.php

This is very unfortunate for our kids & teachers. God willing,  TEA will do what they say and turn things around. I saw an article somewhere stating how long it took N. Forest litigations to be completed. Let's just say nearly a decade if I remember/read correctly.  WOW!!!

Prayer & Patience :) 

This is very unfortunate for our kids & teachers. God willing,  TEA will do what they say and turn things around. I saw an article somewhere stating how long it took N. Forest litigations to be completed. Let's just say nearly a decade if I remember/read correctly.  WOW!!!

Prayer & Patience :) 

I believe this is somewhat a different scenario, TEA is not trying to completely shut down the district just replace the board and super.  I don't think it will stretch out that long, but may extend into the next school year.

I believe this is somewhat a different scenario, TEA is not trying to completely shut down the district just replace the board and super.  I don't think it will stretch out that long, but may extend into the next school year.

When will they vote on a new board and supt? I may have missed the date.

When will they vote on a new board and supt? I may have missed the date.

The TEA or the school district?  As far as the ISD goes, they are still trying to hash out what format they want either the 5-2 or 7 independent voting areas.  The TEA won't be able to do anything until the district either stops appealing or exhausts all appeals.

They voted for teacher cuts and closing Austin Middle - no surprise. We will see how many "administration" jobs actually get cut. :rolleyes:

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Don-t-appeal-crowd-chants-to-board-5575229.php

Closing Austin Middle School is a good thing...they only had around 30 students walking the hallways... IMO I think they should close King as well they have about the same if not lesser students!!!

Closing Austin Middle School is a good thing...they only had around 30 students walking the hallways... IMO I think they should close King as well they have about the same if not lesser students!!!

I think last count was 280 total for Austin.

I just wonder where all this "community action" was in 1995 when the state was going to take over BISD because the students couldn't read.

That's an excellent point, and I think it hinges on one factor: the students. In 1995, the students never stood up and never did anything. Twenty years later, for every adult you're seeing at these rallies, you're seeing a student, too. The news was quick to point out that the biggest round of applause to follow any individual speaker at the BISD board meeting came after a West Brook student spoke. I've seen interviews with students from all three BISD high schools on the news in the past few weeks.

It could be argued that the students are more aggravated this time around because of the layoffs - because the students were seeing the very real and tangible consequences of poor management by the school board for the first time. But I think it can be attributed at least partially to a different generation operating under different circumstances. In 1995, the economy was good and jobs were plentiful. Today, the economy is anemic at best and the percentage of the population in the workforce is at its lowest since records first started being kept. To say it succinctly, the job market is more competitive than it's ever been, and the determining factor for who among new entrants in the job market actually gets a job, as well as among college applicants, is often the quality of their prior education. Right now, BISD isn't sitting too pretty in that regard. Throw in a dash of social media, which has made social movements that much easier to get off the ground and nearly cultivated a revolution all its own among young people in Iran in 2009, and you have a recipe for a much more active student body. When students are riled, parents are just that much more riled, and that's what I think is leading to the more visual protests.