Let's pick on another school district for a while

PhatMack19

This is more about a few parents' discomfort than about the kids as well. Also, I saw there were only 13 people who chose to speak, and if a decent portion of those spoke in her behalf, then only a handful of parents had a big enough problem with this to speak out. I would've expected dozens or hundreds of upset parents speaking out if your take on the general climate of this issue were true.

My point is that against her continuing to teach are many LISD parents and for her are very few LISD parents and mostly special interest groups.

We'll know the final decision after this weekend and depending on that, LISD will find out how much fallout they will have to endure...and NOT from parents but from groups that have no ties to LISD kids but to one disgruntled transgender teacher.

it's all good, bud.  As for this particular issue, i think it also is important to me because i can understand a little what Klug is going through.  I'm a man who teaches pre-k.  I've been doing it for 8 years, and now i've got a great reputation in the community i teach in, and actually get requests for students to be in my class from parents i haven't even met.  but i've had instances where kids have been pulled out of my class not because i'm not good at what i do, but because i'm a man.  and i can honestly say that i understand why someone might be uncomfortable with that.  it's not an everyday occurence for a man to teach this age group.  but just because i'm not the prototypical teacher does not mean that i'm not more than capable at what i do... and there are many parents that have been hesitant at first to have me as their child's teacher who have since then requested me to teach siblings, friended me on facebook so i can keep up with their child, etc. etc.  so for me, as i honestly can say i understand why parents would not be comfortable with this, the most important thing is that the child is being treated well, and that the teacher is doing their job.  and by all accounts, Klug has satisfied these requirements, and as it truly is about the kids, to me that is by far more important than her appearance.  If she was using her position to try and indoctrinate the children, i would actually side with you.  but i've heard nothing of the sort.  so i'm going to end this now by saying that while i disagree with you, i do understand you.  i've got a long weekend of moving into my new house, so i doubt i'll be back on here much, and i don't know if by the time i get back on i'm going to have the energy or desire to answer 20 posts directed at me from 15 different people, but we'll say.  have a good weekend.

My point is that against her continuing to teach are many LISD parents and for her are very few LISD parents and mostly special interest groups.

We'll know the final decision after this weekend and depending on that, LISD will find out how much fallout they will have to endure...and NOT from parents but from groups that have no ties to LISD kids but to one disgruntled transgender teacher.

i will reply to this before i leave, however.  I have seen nothing to imply that Klug is disgruntled in any way.  every quote i've read has been upbeat, and the footage i've seen of her seems to show a happy person.  it's important to remember that this is not a fight that she brought to the district as a disgruntled ex-employee.  disgruntled parents (perhaps rightfully disgruntled, depending on your side) brought this fight to the district.  all she's done is answer requests for interviews and show up for the hearing that decided her fate.

I will reprint this from the other forum with permission from the owner:

It probably has nothing to do with teaching. I find it strange that a man dresses as a woman in a classroom setting. 

I could care less about sexual preferences, who is sleeping with who or what he does inside of his own home. I just think it is wrong. 

If he wants a sex change, go for it and become a woman and then wear a dress. 

I think that if we put some thought to it, we might find a lot of people that have a great ability to teach but that we might not want to be in front of children. Heck, being topless in TX is not against the law. Should male or female teachers be able to teach without covering up because it i legal and the teacher might be great? 

.............. i think it also is important to me because i can understand a little what Klug is going through.  I'm a man who teaches pre-k.  .................................and i can honestly say that i understand why someone might be uncomfortable with that.  it's not an everyday occurence for a man to teach this age group.  .........................

You say that you can understand what he is going through..... but then toss out that you understand that someone might be uncomfortable that you are a man in that position.

Do you understand then the additional concern when that man's attire is dresses? 

Who do you understand or sympathize with more, the one guy that wants to dress outside of the norm and/or sex or the parents that have to send their kids in there? 

Something else I don't believe has been brought up.....

She is teaching because she needs the income.......his/her words......

She is an accomplished pilot that has a teaching license....... 

I wonder why she/he is not flying......surely He/she would make more money doing that......if he needs an income.....

Who would fly with him/her?

You say that you can understand what he is going through..... but then toss out that you understand that someone might be uncomfortable that you are a man in that position.

Do you understand then the additional concern when that man's attire is dresses? 

Who do you understand or sympathize with more, the one guy that wants to dress outside of the norm and/or sex or the parents that have to send their kids in there? 

I symphathize more with Ms. Klug.  It boils down to personal opinion, and my personal opinion is that i feel worse for someone who is cast out because of their appearance despite their performance than i do for a parent who doesn't want their child exposed to real-world issues. 

on an interesting note, i did an impromptu poll on facebook this weekend just to see how "radical" my views are... when asked if they would have a problem if their child was in Ms. Klug's class, the results were as follows:

Based on people who commented, messaged me, or liked an affirmative or negative post by someone else, the results came out 32 in favor of her teaching, 5 against. 

i know you guys think that i've just got a bunch of ultra-liberal friends, but i'm from SETX, went to ETBU, and my friends span the total political gamut. 

some interesting notes: 

Out of the 5 dissents, one was from a liberal friend of mine from Chicago.

9 teachers answered, and 8 were in favor of letting her teach.

Out of the 6 people that answered that i KNOW to be extremely conservative, 3 were in favor and 3 against.  (I've also talked to other conservatives i know from the area in person, and again it's been pretty split).

I had 3 homosexuals answer, so you can discount their results if you want.

One of the dissents has very strong opinions about sexual sin, except for when it comes to her 4 year sexual relationship with her boyfriend that they're exposing their teenaged kids to.

All but four who responded were from SETX, and of those that weren't, one was from Alabama and one was from Louisiana. (since the "normal" people from SETX was an issue earlier in this thread)

it's an assumption that her being transgender somehow means she can't do a good job, or will poison the kids' minds, etc. etc. etc. 

I can't speak for others but that has nothing to do with my evaluation of the situation...I simply don't think that he/she should be responsible for and around children when she/he is confused about what gender she/he is.

on an interesting note, i did an impromptu poll on facebook this weekend just to see how "radical" my views are... when asked if they would have a problem if their child was in Ms. Klug's class, the results were as follows:

Based on people who commented, messaged me, or liked an affirmative or negative post by someone else, the results came out 32 in favor of her teaching, 5 against. 

i know you guys think that i've just got a bunch of ultra-liberal friends, but i'm from SETX, went to ETBU, and my friends span the total political gamut. 

some interesting notes: 

Out of the 5 dissents, one was from a liberal friend of mine from Chicago.

9 teachers answered, and 8 were in favor of letting her teach.

Out of the 6 people that answered that i KNOW to be extremely conservative, 3 were in favor and 3 against.  (I've also talked to other conservatives i know from the area in person, and again it's been pretty split).

I had 3 homosexuals answer, so you can discount their results if you want.

One of the dissents has very strong opinions about sexual sin, except for when it comes to her 4 year sexual relationship with her boyfriend that they're exposing their teenaged kids to.

All but four who responded were from SETX, and of those that weren't, one was from Alabama and one was from Louisiana. (since the "normal" people from SETX was an issue earlier in this thread)

That's great, but this is a matter for the LISD and the parents within...no one else.

That's great, but this is a matter for the LISD and the parents within...no one else.

The same LISD parents who had a problem with it are the ones who took it to the media, thus making it an issue for others outside the district. And lets say less than a majority of LISD parents want Klug gone (the more I talk to people inside and outside the district the more I suspect this is the case)... Should the minority be able to decide that?

The same LISD parents who had a problem with it are the ones who took it to the media, thus making it an issue for others outside the district. And lets say less than a majority of LISD parents want Klug gone (the more I talk to people inside and outside the district the more I suspect this is the case)... Should the minority be able to decide that?

No.....it should be majority rule

I still want to know why she picked teaching........

and why she is not flying.....

and it looks like the public has decided that 5th grade is an appropriate age to talk about transgender... 

If the majority of folks in the district want this, then it should happen...it's an independent school district which should serve the taxpayers within.

Your suspicions are wrong...the only overwhelming support she/he has received are from special interest groups, not parents, just like in the open forum meeting.

If the majority of folks in the district want this, then it should happen...it's an independent school district which should serve the taxpayers within.

Your suspicions are wrong...the only overwhelming support she/he has received are from special interest groups, not parents, just like in the open forum meeting.

there were what, 5 or 6 parents in all of lumberton that cared enough to step up and speak against her?  it's not like you have hundreds of people lining up.  and my suspicions were greatly validated when about 90% who answered me on facebook supported her, with about 90% of those who answered being from this area.

there were what, 5 or 6 parents in all of lumberton that cared enough to step up and speak against her?  it's not like you have hundreds of people lining up.  and my suspicions were greatly validated when about 90% who answered me on facebook supported her, with about 90% of those who answered being from this area.

I believe they limit the number of speakers at open forum meetings so don't think that would apply.

This is a person that can't seem to figure out what they are...I would call that unstable, and in turn, would not be comfortable with putting them in charge of children.

You may be willing to take that chance (obviously so) but I'm not...kids come first in a school district.

I symphathize more with Ms. Klug.  It boils down to personal opinion, and my personal opinion is that i feel worse for someone who is cast out because of their appearance despite their performance than i do for a parent who doesn't want their child exposed to real-world issues. 

But he is a great teacher......

Maybe but is that what matters the most here?

What if I show you a teacher with impeccable teaching credentials. He scored 4.0 in all college courses. All of his fellow college students claim that he is always pleasant and gets along with others and is a simply awesome instructor. He has the ability to get through to some students when others have failed. Simply put, he is the best possible teacher a district can ask for.

But when he shows up for work, you find out why he always wore long sleeve shirt with high collars. You find out that he has SS tattoos on one side of his neck and Aryan Brotherhood tats down both arms. On the other side of his neck he has a tat of a fist with White Power. Then he has a swastika on his forehead that he was covering with makeup. 

Do you want this simply awesome teacher in your school when at school he acts professionally. We don't even know if he belongs to any such groups or did at one time but changed. Do you really want him teaching your kids while exercising his First Amendment rights of freedom of speech..... after all, he is a great teacher? 

I am not comparing this to what is happening in Lumberton or anything close to it. It is only an example where simply being a good teacher might not tell the entire story and in some professions, appearance does matter. 

You are a teacher but I am sure that you have dress codes. Should it be that way or should you or anyone else be able to teach in any appearance as long as it is legal?