Let's pick on another school district for a while

PhatMack19

I just talked to my wife and mom, neither of whom are politically active, and neither had a problem with this. Interestingly enough, I also talked to my 60-year-old conservative stepdad, who votes republican and dislikes Obama as much as you guys, and his first question: was she doing her job? Second question: did she dress inappropriate? No? Then why would I care. His kid went through lumberton schools, coincidentally enough.

I just talked to my wife and mom, neither of whom are politically active, and neither had a problem with this. Interestingly enough, I also talked to my 60-year-old conservative stepdad, who votes republican and dislikes Obama as much as you guys, and his first question: was she doing her job? Second question: did she dress inappropriate? No? Then why would I care. His kid went through lumberton schools, coincidentally enough.

Lumberton parents who have kids involved in this disagree with your group.

I love Roger Beard's interview for the piece: "there's some things we can accept in society that children are not gonna accept the same way that we do." Not really sure what that's supposed to mean. Later he says "they can do many things in life, but if it affects the young people, and their ability to learn and GROW NATURALLY, I think there's an issue with that." Ah, you had me until that last part. He tries to make it sound like he doesn't have a problem with transgenders, that he's only worried that its a distraction to the kids, but that one little comment belies what he's trying to portray. How is an educated sub doing their job going to affect children's ability to "grow naturally?" Oh yeah, I forgot, there are still people out there that think homosexuality or transgenderism is "catching". Just own up to your bias and admit you're uncomfortable with the situation! I can at least respect that viewpoint. But don't hide behind the "distraction" excuse! This sub had worked at this school before with no complaints. I guess only kids with parents who are uncomfortable with this topic get "distracted" by it.

Lumberton parents who have kids involved in this disagree with your group.

SOME lumberton parents have a problem with it. I only brought that up because you called me a "radical" for not having a problem with it. So I asked two non-political people and one conservative person around me and they didn't care either. So maybe I'm not as radical as you think, or maybe you're not quite as in tune with "most places" as you might believe.

SOME lumberton parents have a problem with it. I only brought that up because you called me a "radical" for not having a problem with it. So I asked two non-political people and one conservative person around me and they didn't care either. So maybe I'm not as radical as you think, or maybe you're not quite as in tune with "most places" as you might believe.

Right...I'm sure if you polled most parents they would have no problem with cross dressers teaching their kids.

Pretty sure I'm more in tune with this than you are...at least in Southeast Texas.

Bullets- do you remember the guy who wanted to marry an animal? ( we discussed it recently) If he decided to marry the animal and was already teaching in a local school, would your only concern be whether or not he was doing a good job?

I'm plenty in tune with this area. I grew up here, I even attended ETBU for 4 years, which really dials you into the mindset of conservative east texas. That's why I knew that the parent they interviewed who had a problem with this would have a strong country drawl and the prerequisite camo hat before I saw the interview. Thats also why i agreed with you that my viewpoints might seem radical to some in setx. I don't disagree with you that there will be plenty of people in SETX who would raise a stink. But you said this teacher would be welcomed in very few places. I disagree. Your viewpoint is VERY southeast texas. I'm not criticizing that, but a good chunk of the country does not share the ideologies of this area. I'm not claiming to have polled parents from Lumberton... But don't believe that the viewpoints of some parents from lumberton will line up with people in all places.

Bullets- do you remember the guy who wanted to marry an animal? ( we discussed it recently) If he decided to marry the animal and was already teaching in a local school, would your only concern be whether or not he was doing a good job?

I don't put the two on the same level, although you've made it abundantly clear that you do.

I'm plenty in tune with this area. I grew up here, I even attended ETBU for 4 years, which really dials you into the mindset of conservative east texas. That's why I knew that the parent they interviewed who had a problem with this would have a strong country drawl and the prerequisite camo hat before I saw the interview. Thats also why i agreed with you that my viewpoints might seem radical to some in setx. I don't disagree with you that there will be plenty of people in SETX who would raise a stink. But you said this teacher would be welcomed in very few places. I disagree. Your viewpoint is VERY southeast texas. I'm not criticizing that, but a good chunk of the country does not share the ideologies of this area. I'm not claiming to have polled parents from Lumberton... But don't believe that the viewpoints of some parents from lumberton will line up with people in all places.

If folks from all over agree with your views, why has something like homosexual marriage been voted down regularly...even in places like California.

First off, it's also been allowed in several places. I also didnt claim that people EVERYWHERE outside of setx would disagree with the mindset here. You're putting an awful lot of words in my mouth tonight. And secondly, while the topics are kind of related, it's not the same issue.

nm.....

you beat me to it

On an interesting note, I did poll ONE conservative lumberton parent about this issue, and he answered that he would be tentatively open minded to it, but would want the option to discuss it with his child first.

Not a choice to be left to a middle schooler.

How would that go anyway?

Son. How would you like to have a cross dresser as your teacher?

Sure. Dad...what's a cross dresser?

First off, it's also been allowed in several places. I also didnt claim that people EVERYWHERE outside of setx would disagree with the mindset here. You're putting an awful lot of words in my mouth tonight. And secondly, while the topics are kind of related, it's not the same issue.

They are two different issues...I was pointing out that traditional values are not so radical just yet...even in many more progressive areas.

I talked to the middle schooler's conservative father, not the middle schooler. Is that a choice the father should be able to make, or should you be the one to make it for him?

His decision... it's his kid.

Now whether the teacher is allowed to teach there is a decision to be made within the Independent school district.

I'm a Lumberton conservative parent and my child is in the next school up......here is my only issue....

If he is a man and you can tell (did not see him) the kids would ask probably....why are you dressed like a woman,,,,,

I would like to be the one to explain it to my son....that is really my only issue.

Everyone has a right to values and how they chose to raise their children. Some parents are able to opt out of sex education and teach it themselves.....

I also think they should now change the dress code.....my son would like to have long hair.....and I would like to let him before he has to get a job!