10 4A D1 All District Team

WOSdrummer99

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

The whole District improved.  LCM had a great run.  Vidor lost their first game by 5 to the improved 4th place finisher, Chapel Hill, who’s in the State Semi-Finals.  Huffman & Lumberton made a good account of themselves before falling to Kilgore & Lindale.  I look for the whole District to improve again next year.  The four teams going forward in 2022 will be formidable.

i agree. should be interesting next season

4 hours ago, Hagar said:

The whole District improved.  LCM had a great run.  Vidor lost their first game by 5 to the improved 4th place finisher, Chapel Hill, who’s in the State Semi-Finals.  Huffman & Lumberton made a good account of themselves before falling to Kilgore & Lindale.  I look for the whole District to improve again next year.  The four teams going forward in 2022 will be formidable.

The district should enter next years playoffs with boosted confidence for sure

On 12/10/2021 at 2:17 PM, bullets13 said:

nah, this award was hands down peevey's with or without the playoffs.  The bears went 1-7 last year.  they were 8-2 at the time this award was decided this year.  Results from the playoffs only make it more obvious.  

Coach Mathews is Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold COY also. Just further proves it.

Pirates lost to CH by 5 with an injured riddled team when Mathews wasn't even on the sidelines. LCM lost in the 4th round by 17 with Peevey. So?

38 minutes ago, piratevillain said:

Coach Mathews is Beaumont Enterprise Super Gold COY also. Just further proves it.

Pirates lost to CH by 5 with an injured riddled team when Mathews wasn't even on the sidelines. LCM lost in the 4th round by 17 with Peevey. So?

Pirates lost a close game in the first round and LCM lost by more in the 4th round?  Not sure that’s a very sound argument you’re making there.  Mathews had a good season, and I’m not denying that.  But Peevey taking a team that went 1-7 last year and turning them into a team that finished 11-3 this year and went 4 rounds deep was a much more impressive coaching job.  It’s not a head-to-head or common opponent award.  It’s based on the full body of work.  Mathews took a pretty decent team from last year and had a good season this year. Peevey took an awful team from last year and had a great season this year.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Pirates lost a close game in the first round and LCM lost by more in the 4th round?  Not sure that’s a very sound argument you’re making there.  Mathews had a good season, and I’m not denying that.  But Peevey taking a team that went 1-7 last year and turning them into a team that finished 11-3 this year and went 4 rounds deep was a much more impressive coaching job.  It’s not a head-to-head or common opponent award.  It’s based on the full body of work.  Mathews took a pretty decent team from last year and had a good season this year. Peevey took an awful team from last year and had a great season this year.  

I definitely agree with you, only reason I brought up the playoffs is because you mentioned it. I think Peevey should've gotten it myself, like most thought for such an incredible turnaround from last years team. But I'm saying I can see why they picked Mathews as well... he had some pretty incredible games where Vidor probably had no business winning.

2 hours ago, piratevillain said:

2 hours ago, piratevillain said:

I was waiting for a CH comparison. Win or lose against them. Vidor moved down and was a district favorite who lived up to their expectations. The better team this year moved furthur in the playoffs.

Both great coaches no doubt. I hope lcm can hang on to  the longevity Matthews has had with vidor.

11 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Pirates coached by Mathews went to lcm and smacked them around for 4qtrs…playoffs DO NOT matter when it comes to district awards! 

Jeff Mathews Head Coach for the Vidor Pirates is Coach of The Year!!! 

57 minutes ago, americasteam22 said:

Mathews is a great coach, Peevey is a great coach! Peevey took LCM to 4th round  this year. Vidor has not been there since 1964. Im sure he would rather go to 4th round, than get coach of the year.I know I would.  Either way both coaches do a great job. 

To be people in the back of the room....Playoffs are NOT a factor when deciding district awards...🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, PirateNole984 said:

To be people in the back of the room....Playoffs are NOT a factor when deciding district awards...🤦‍♂️

without counting the playoffs, Peevey took LCM from 1-7 to 8-2 lol still the biggest turnaround in our district ...but like i said earlier, its hard to argue the coach from the top seed earning COY 

15 hours ago, piratevillain said:

FYI The QB #9 Landry (Half the Bears' Offense) couldn't run, cut or plant to throw. So...

3 hours ago, americasteam22 said:

Mathews is a great coach, Peevey is a great coach! Peevey took LCM to 4th round  this year. Vidor has not been there since 1964. Im sure he would rather go to 4th round, than get coach of the year.I know I would.  Either way both coaches do a great job. 

I think it should be mentioned that Vidor had their best season since 1964. This years 1 loss team had a better regular season than any that came before them in 57 years. Some of those old Pirate squads went deeper in the playoffs and they had more talent in my opinion but they lost some close games. This years team figured out a way to win almost all of their close games. I’m telling you it was almost magical, they pulled some impressive comeback wins out of nowhere. Coming back from a big deficit to steal the game late vs Silsbee. Pulling out a last second TD and 2 point conversion to steal the game vs Jasper. Coming all the way back from an almost insurmountable hole vs Lumberton to steal the win in the 4th quarter. All of those games at home in front of a rowdy and amped up crowd. It was a great season for Coach Mathews and the boys… almost magical.

6 minutes ago, PirateNole984 said:

Vidor's leading rushers on the year were out...exception was #4.  He tried to play but was severely limited...and not to mention Vidor was missing the Coach of The Year.

#4 had as much business being out there as Landry for LCM did.  Neither one was ready.  To say 75% would be an overstatement, but I think the Coaches felt they deserved some time on the field.  Like COY honors, over and done with (where did the football season go?).  Both Coaches had great seasons.  Both are good Coaches, but only one winner.  Most of you didn’t see the condescending post on the other site about Dist 10 vs their Dist 9.  After the playoffs, they were not near so “superior”.  So, once again, I’m proud of the whole District.

5 hours ago, PirateNole984 said:

And like what most everyone has said on this board....Playoffs do NOT factor into the equation

Okay.  Peevey took a 1-7 team from last year and led them to an 8-2 season.  Mathews 4-4 team from last year went 9-1 this year.  Peevey still CLEARLY did more to deserve the award.  I guess maybe it was an achievement award for not finishing at .500 (give or take) for the 5th straight year.  

3 hours ago, Boneyard Boys said:

I think it should be mentioned that Vidor had their best season since 1964. This years 1 loss team had a better regular season than any that came before them in 57 years. Some of those old Pirate squads went deeper in the playoffs and they had more talent in my opinion but they lost some close games. This years team figured out a way to win almost all of their close games. I’m telling you it was almost magical, they pulled some impressive comeback wins out of nowhere. Coming back from a big deficit to steal the game late vs Silsbee. Pulling out a last second TD and 2 point conversion to steal the game vs Jasper. Coming all the way back from an almost insurmountable hole vs Lumberton to steal the win in the 4th quarter. All of those games at home in front of a rowdy and amped up crowd. It was a great season for Coach Mathews and the boys… almost magical.

2012 Vidor team went 9-1 regular season, fwiw. 2011 Vidor team went 8-2, and then three rounds deep (which is a better season than this team had).  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Okay.  Peevey took a 1-7 team from last year and led them to an 8-2 season.  Mathews 4-4 team from last year went 9-1 this year.  Peevey still CLEARLY did more to deserve the award.  I guess maybe it was an achievement award for not finishing at .500 (give or take) for the 5th straight year.  

"Clearly"....You are clearly mistaken...4-4 to 9-1, #1 seed, and a WIN over lcm.

There's always next year!

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

2012 Vidor team went 9-1 regular season, fwiw. 2011 Vidor team went 8-2, and then three rounds deep (which is a better season than this team had).  

Those were the teams I was referring to in my post, that was a really talented group. I knew they had some great regular seasons as well and went 3 rounds deep in the 5a playoffs. They didn’t have the long undefeated streak running up to the end of the season that generated a lot of buzz and comparisons to the 64 team. Those teams, as good as they were, did not win the district title but the 2016 team got a CO-DC (8-2, 7-1) record, also a very good team. If I were to guess I’m sure coach got some COTY votes during those seasons as well.