Does Lumberton need a coaching change?

Does Lumberton need a coaching change? I think this is a fair question to ask. I have not been to any games this year ,but want some opinions on people who have. I know they struggled last year ,but atleast they were competitive. They are just getting blown out in every game this year. I know they have a lack of depth. What else is the problem?

[quote name="WBbruin007" post="1318594" timestamp="1351961760"]
Does Lumberton need a coaching change? I think this is a fair question to ask. I have not been to any games this year ,but want some opinions on people who have. I know they struggled last year ,but atleast they were competitive. They are just getting blown out in every game this year. I know they have a lack of depth. What else is the problem?
[/quote]its more than coaching.

I have a theory and it applies to any school. I feel like the coaching at lower levels needs as much attention as it does at higher levels.. If you start preparing the middle school players by getting them bigger, faster, and stronger it will pay off huge dividends in high school.. Now I don't Lumberton's situation at the lower levels, I'm just making a point. I looked at Nederlands size and speed and compared it to Lumberton's and it's light years apart.

as a Vidor fan and a former coach i will tell you to be patient...its a down time as far as talent goes right now...Vidor is just now starting to benefit from the STJFL / Lonestar learning pool...these kids we have now are some of the first squads when the two leagues were formed...and you cant see the difference clearly...you guys will start seeing it too in the next few years....BE PATIENT...you have a GREAT coach....

From what I hear, a lot of Lumberton's issues at football and other sports is maybe that off-season work and competition.

When they are younger and do well against the other 20 4A middle schools. 

They might not realize that those towns like Vidor, Nederland, and PN and Groves LC and Mauriceville are all broken up into separate teams.  Not sure about Beaumont schools.  I am not that familiar with their middle schools.

Once all of those schools hit high school, they have not only a bigger talent pool but MORE competition for those starting spots when all of those kids come from separate schools.  Those kids knock themselves out working out, battling for each position. 

Lumberton in football might not have the drive because those kids have been playing since at least 7th grade together and most spots are filled. 

Part of the problem. 

Also, not sure that you can fix that one middle school issue in Lumberton.  That's not the coaches fault.

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1318776" timestamp="1351975394"]
From what I hear, a lot of Lumberton's issues at football and other sports is maybe that off-season work and competition.

When they are younger and do well against the other 20 4A middle schools. 

They might not realize that those towns like Vidor, Nederland, and PN and Groves LC and Mauriceville are all broken up into separate teams.  Not sure about Beaumont schools.  I am not that familiar with their middle schools.

Once all of those schools hit high school, they have not only a bigger talent pool but MORE competition for those starting spots when all of those kids come from separate schools.  Those kids knock themselves out working out, battling for each position. 

Lumberton in football might not have the drive because those kids have been playing since at least 7th grade together and most spots are filled. 

Part of the problem. 

Also, not sure that you can fix that one middle school issue in Lumberton.  That's not the coaches fault.
[/quote]

I don't know if that's a good excuse in Vidor's case.  They have a middle school (4-6 grade) and a junior high (7-8 grade) so they have the same situation going on.  Lord knows that Vidor suffered for a long time though and I've always been very pro-multiple junior highs/middle schools like C.O. Wilson and Central with having the players get that extra fire to compete.

Since most of the coaches are new, I am guessing you mean head coach change.  It is easy to say [b]no[/b] this year when you see the kids just can't match up with other teams individually.  What about past years when they could have been more competitive and weren't.  What about when they were better and did win.  Lots of ways your kids can play.  Have to coach them to thier best no matter.

[quote name="GoDogs27" post="1318622" timestamp="1351962896"]
I have a theory and it applies to any school. [b]I feel like the coaching at lower levels needs as much attention as it does at higher levels[/b].. If you start preparing the middle school players by getting them bigger, faster, and stronger it will pay off huge dividends in high school.. Now I don't Lumberton's situation at the lower levels, I'm just making a point. I looked at Nederlands size and speed and compared it to Lumberton's and it's light years apart.
[/quote]

I agree.  Jack Lynch developed kids for Nederland for 40 years at CO Wilson.  This is the 1st year without him, so I hope they can keep it up. 

coaches have some responsiblity to encourage competition and off season program for football players....if kids are unresponsive to hardwork and competing for positions, then i guarantee a coach could "inspire" them

light a fire under 'em, and someone will start moving, one way or another

1.  Almost entirely new varsity staff still learning the system.  (Difficult to find coaches that will come to Lumberton or stay in Lumberton for the pay) A total of 8 Coaches left in two years for an average profit margin of no less than 5,000 more a year. 

2.  Whoever said in an earlier post that the students over look the fact they can win at the middle-school level because they are playing other schools that are devided in two needs to tell their parents.  Its unbelievable how nieve some parents are in Lumberton.

3.  Someone touched on it earlier, you would have to be blind not to see the average size and weight differance on the O and D-line.  O-line avg.= 220lbs (3 at 200 or less); D-line avg. = 190lbs.  This might be ok for a 60's or 70's team, but not even Saban magic could overcome this big a margin!

There are other issues, some that have already been stated, but not any that i can tell are the outcome of poor leadership, coaching, or decision making on the part of Coach Credeur.  Honestly, the folks in Lumberton are fortunate that HE has chosen to come and STAY here.

And dont forget, 6A is coming and there is certainly some talent coming up.  The L-Train will be back on track before long.  I guarantee!!

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1319751" timestamp="1352046028"]
[quote author=GoDogs27 link=topic=105687.msg1318622#msg1318622 date=1351962896]
I have a theory and it applies to any school. [b]I feel like the coaching at lower levels needs as much attention as it does at higher levels[/b].. If you start preparing the middle school players by getting them bigger, faster, and stronger it will pay off huge dividends in high school.. Now I don't Lumberton's situation at the lower levels, I'm just making a point. I looked at Nederlands size and speed and compared it to Lumberton's and it's light years apart.
[/quote]

I agree.  [b]Jack Lynch developed kids for Nederland for 40 years at CO Wilson.  This is the 1st year without him, so I hope they can keep it up[/b].
[/quote]

If I go back in history (40+ years) for Nederland, SINCE Neumann has been here, that's when NEDERLAND starting winning. Right?

Neumann has built Nederland program IMO (at all levels) including both middle schools.

The man in charge is always the one you look to for the answers of the questions of why.  A program begins at the middle school level and works its way up.  Running the same offense, the same defense, the same offseason program is vital in the athletes success in the high school years.  This is not the case in Lumberton.  Teaching kids work ethic, accountability, and commitment is key at this level for kids to buy into the system.  Discipline is key to any program.  Start it early and you will not have to deal with it later on.  The years Lumberton was successful, those kids ran the same program from 7th grade until they graduated.  It paid off.  That is not the case now.  You need to instill in these kids the pride of the program, teach them what the will be doing in high school.  If they win, they win.  If the lose, they lose.  But prepare them for when it counts.  PNG and Vidor both run the exact offense and defense that they do in high school.  Did they win all their games? No. But, you are gaining years of experience and learning the terminology.  That's what it is all about.  Also, you MUST have an established off-season and summer program.  It is not optional, it is mandatory to compete at the level they play in week in and out in that district.  Proven fact weights make you bigger, faster, and strongrer.  It is obvious Lumberton does not do this, or they do not do it good enough.  Like a previous comment, you must also put your kids in postition to win.  If that means making a few moms and dads mad, so be it.  No reason you can not at least compete and be respected with what Lumberton has and will have coming up.  So, to answer the question, YES, it is time for a change.  Watch one of their games and tell me different.  If have seen it, and it is downright sickening to to watch.  When 8 coaches leave, one to be a head coach which is excusable, there is something up besides the money.  Ask around and they will tell you.  Everyone knows you dont get into coaching for the money,  it is for the kids.  The kids are the ones who are not getting "paid" enough.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin