20-4a All District Picks

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="922681" timestamp="1291129666"]
akifan94, my post was not to defend the coaches and their picks. Just was to clarify how the picks are made and what can be used.

I have no answer as to why Nelson did not make 1st team.st
[/quote]my guess would be that Nelson only had two big games in district, one against nederland and the other against lumberton, all of the rest were just mediocre. He definitely got the vote from nederland, but other recievers had bigger games againnst lumberton therefore they did not vote for him. And one vote will not get you on the first team.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="loopswoop12" post="922688" timestamp="1291130508"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=76798.msg922681#msg922681 date=1291129666]
akifan94, my post was not to defend the coaches and their picks. Just was to clarify how the picks are made and what can be used.

[/quote]my guess would be that Nelson only had two big games in district, one against nederland and the other against lumberton, all of the rest were just mediocre. He definitely got the vote from nederland, but other recievers had bigger games againnst lumberton therefore they did not vote for him. And one vote will not get you on the first team.
[/quote]

So they only vote for one person at each position but 6 of the 8 centers made all-district? It still does not explain how a kid with 12 district catches and one TD makes it when his best game was 4 catches and 1 TD and he never had another TD or more than 2 catches in a district game all year. I am done with it. It is flawed and it is obvious.

[quote name="akifan94" post="922690" timestamp="1291130842"]
[quote author=loopswoop12 link=topic=76798.msg922688#msg922688 date=1291130508]

[/quote]

So they only vote for one person at each position but 6 of the 8 centers made all-district? It still does not explain how a kid with 12 district catches and one TD makes it when his best game was 4 catches and 1 TD and he never had another TD or more than 2 catches in a district game all year. I am done with it. It is flawed and it is obvious.
[/quote]this is true, I do agree with you. But, that is my only guess as to why this happened.

[quote name="loopswoop12" post="922694" timestamp="1291131204"]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=76798.msg922690#msg922690 date=1291130842]
[quote author=loopswoop12 link=topic=76798.msg922688#msg922688 date=1291130508]

[/quote]

[/quote]this is true, I do agree with you. But, that is my only guess as to why this happened.
[/quote]

Thanks for answering my questions and explaining.

The system is flawed BIG TIME. Not saying any kids who made it didnt deserve it because alot of the choices here are spot on, BUT this is and always has been a political thing. They do not look at any stats or do they bring stats to the table when choosing this. Im not even real sure they are allowed to throw stats out. Most of the coaches couldnt tell ya who is who on other teams. It's more of a bad episode of Survivor than a lets look at and figure out who had the most productive season at each position.

Its always been like this and probably always will be. The only way to truely have a legit All District pick would be to go soley off of stats during district play.

Usually the News Papers choices are much closer to a true selection. I put much more stock in the Beaumont Enterprises picks.

As far as Jace Nelson goes...the kid is much closer to an All State selection than Second team All District any day.

How many yards did sonnier have rushing, and also how many rushing Touchdowns did he have. He motioned into the backfield a lot from the wr spot. He also was the "Wild DOG" guy.  Even though he is lined up at QB he is a listed wr. He had 438 yards rushing with 15 touchdowns if you add that to his Receiving you get 626 yards and 16 touchdowns.  That is with missing the Vidor game.  In my opinion if I was coaching against the two players I would be more worried about Sonnier wherever he lined up.

In district only
Nelson-545 yards 5 touchdowns

Sonnier-626 total yards 16 touchdowns

[quote name="The Old Ball Coach" post="922743" timestamp="1291135565"]
How many yards did sonnier have rushing, and also how many rushing Touchdowns did he have. He motioned into the backfield a lot from the wr spot. He also was the "Wild DOG" guy.  Even though he is lined up at QB he is a listed wr. He had 438 yards rushing with 15 touchdowns if you add that to his Receiving you get 626 yards and 16 touchdowns.  That is with missing the Vidor game.  In my opinion if I was coaching against the two players I would be more worried about Sonnier wherever he lined up.

In district only

[/quote]

you can't add rushing to receiving to make a case for a receiver... maybe rb. You just explained why he deserved the UTIL player award, IMO.

[quote name="The Old Ball Coach" post="922750" timestamp="1291136084"]
But I dont think you can put Sonnier at MVP because his total stats is no where near Gonzales

Gonzales
over 3020 total yards and 32 touchdowns

Sonnier

After adding in his passing over 700 total yards and 18 touchdowns

[/quote]

How'd Gonzales play on defense?

[quote name="The Old Ball Coach" post="922743" timestamp="1291135565"]

In district only

[/quote]

That is why he made 1st team UTILITY. He lined up at QB/WR/RB.

[quote name="Keeper99" post="922756" timestamp="1291136493"]
[quote author=The Old Ball Coach link=topic=76798.msg922750#msg922750 date=1291136084]
But I dont think you can put Sonnier at MVP because his total stats is no where near Gonzales

Gonzales
over 3020 total yards and 32 touchdowns

Sonnier

After adding in his passing over 700 total yards and 18 touchdowns

[/quote]

How'd Gonzales play on defense?
[/quote]

Exactly. The young man made 1st team WR offense / 1st team Utility offense / and 1st team safety Defense. Seems like a district MVP. Doty was offensive MVP.

[quote name="akifan94" post="922757" timestamp="1291136512"]
[quote author=The Old Ball Coach link=topic=76798.msg922743#msg922743 date=1291135565]

In district only

[/quote]

[/quote]

AKIFAN:  The horse is long since dead...stop beating it.

[quote name="welovebaseball" post="922762" timestamp="1291136860"]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=76798.msg922757#msg922757 date=1291136512]
[quote author=The Old Ball Coach link=topic=76798.msg922743#msg922743 date=1291135565]

In district only

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just responding to a direct post to me. I am not offering any new arguement on the subject.

Gonzales should have been 1st team offense, Sonnier should have been MVP , because of what the old ball coach stated, kid played wr,qb, rb. db and every team had to account Trevin, where ever he lined up, I'm not sure anyone else from Nederland did enough to make all district, it was a collective effort with everyone doing a little bit to help, but with out Trevin I don't think Nedeland finishes above 6th much less made the playoffs, that's what the MVP is for, who did the most to get his team to the post season. It is a little puzzling that the COY and the MVP were home in week 11, kind of means somebody else might have done a better job.

[quote name="football04" post="922767" timestamp="1291137171"]
Gonzales should have been 1st team offense, Sonnier should have been MVP , because of what the old ball coach stated, kid played wr,qb, rb. db and every team had to account Trevin, where ever he lined up, I'm not sure anyone else from Nederland did enough to make all district, it was a collective effort with everyone doing a little bit to help, but with out Trevin I don't think Nedeland finishes above 6th much less made the playoffs, that's what the MVP is for, [b]who did the most to get his team to the post season.[/b] It is a little puzzling that the COY and the MVP were home in week 11, kind of means somebody else might have done a better job.
[/quote]

I think its more like... Who did more to make their team better?

You can't take playoff stats into account (obviously), so you really can't take making the playoffs into acct., IMO.

Otherwise you gotta put Forney over Green or Hughes.

[quote name="akifan94" post="922764" timestamp="1291137034"]
[quote author=welovebaseball link=topic=76798.msg922762#msg922762 date=1291136860]

In district only

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just responding to a direct post to me. I am not offering any new arguement on the subject.
[/quote]

That may have been a bit harsh.  I'm on the other half of Sonnier's family and I appreciate the nice things you have said about him.  I am also very sympathetic to your cause.  I was surprised to see that Trev had taken a WR and the Utility spot.  

If the roles were reversed we (the Sonniers and Kirchmers) would be crying foul and blowing up the site too. I assume you have a relationship with the Nelson kid and I can understand the disappointment and the strong desire to make even a futile attempt to right a wrong you believe has been done to him.  If anything, we are sometimes too aggressive in taking up Trev's cause.

The truth is, we were concerned that Trev would be left off the list because he was used in so many different offensive roles that he did not fit well into any one category.  (I should have known there was a spot for a utility player, but I didn't).  

I sorry Nelson was left off the list, he is obviously a very good player.

[quote name="welovebaseball" post="922791" timestamp="1291138173"]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=76798.msg922764#msg922764 date=1291137034]
[quote author=welovebaseball link=topic=76798.msg922762#msg922762 date=1291136860]
How many yards did sonnier have rushing, and also how many rushing Touchdowns did he have. He motioned into the backfield a lot from the wr spot. He also was the "Wild DOG" guy.  Even though he is lined up at QB he is a listed wr. He had 438 yards rushing with 15 touchdowns if you add that to his Receiving you get 626 yards and 16 touchdowns.  That is with missing the Vidor game.  In my opinion if I was coaching against the two players I would be more worried about Sonnier wherever he lined up.

In district only

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That may have been a bit harsh.  I'm on the other half of Sonnier's family and I appreciate the nice things you have said about him.  I am also very sympathetic to your cause.  I was surprised to see that Trev had taken a WR and the Utility spot.  

If the roles were reversed we (the Sonniers and Kirchmers) would be crying foul and blowing up the site too. I assume you have a relationship with the Nelson kid and I can understand the disappointment and the strong desire to make even a futile attempt to right a wrong you believe has been done to him.  If anything, we are sometimes too aggressive in taking up Trev's cause.

The truth is, we were concerned that Trev would be left off the list because he was used in so many different offensive roles that he did not fit well into any one category.  (I should have known there was a spot for a utility player, but I didn't).  

I sorry Nelson was left off the list, he is obviously a very good player.

[/quote]

No problem. I actually do not know him personally (Nelson). I know I look like a homer defending a PN-G kid but I also feel others were slighted as well. I was only trying to make sense of the selections and justify why I felt that way. I hate to see any kid from any team work their tail off and not be rewarded for it.

Plus I like arguing and padding my post count.  ;)

Can someone explain why stats are not used? I spoke to a local writer and he said they do not like the process. Is this something each district decides on it's on? Seems like there would be UIL guidelines. Like others have said not doing so is cheating the players on all teams.

Congrats to 20-4A  players on and off the list!

[quote name="akifan94" post="921974" timestamp="1291049038"]
[quote author=Old61Eagle link=topic=76798.msg921968#msg921968 date=1291048840]
Trevin Sonnier made 1st Team offense as a REC and as Utility and 1st Team Defense.  Wow!
[/quote]

He also cooked links and served drinks at halftime.
[/quote]  Thats right, he should have made first team QB ALSO. Stop crying about the picks it is what it is. Yes a lot of kids didnt make it that should have, but there is no reason to talk about other kids that have worked hard and deserve it. Trevon is one of the most dedicated kids to play sports in SETX. Example he has a full ride to play baseball at TCU and chose to dedicate himself to football and his team. He could have easily got injured. Like I said don't take it out on the kids that have numerous talents. And yes he could serve links and drinks at halftime thats what kind of kid he is. Enough Said! 

[quote name="heartattack90" post="922879" timestamp="1291146772"]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=76798.msg921974#msg921974 date=1291049038]
Trevin Sonnier made 1st Team offense as a REC and as Utility and 1st Team Defense.  Wow!
[/quote]

[/quote]  Thats right, he should have made first team QB ALSO. Stop crying about the picks it is what it is. Yes a lot of kids didnt make it that should have, but there is no reason to talk about other kids that have worked hard and deserve it. Trevon is one of the most dedicated kids to play sports in SETX. Example he has a full ride to play baseball at TCU and chose to dedicate himself to football and his team. He could have easily got injured. Like I said don't take it out on the kids that have numerous talents. And yes he could serve links and drinks at halftime thats what kind of kid he is. Enough Said!   

Good lord. I was complimenting the kid for being a jack of all trades. If you tried reading the thread you would see that. I am going to go out on a limb and say that trevin has more family on this board than any other player from SETX.  ;D
[/quote]

Guest Ranger83
[quote name="akifan94" post="922891" timestamp="1291147455"]
[quote author=heartattack90 link=topic=76798.msg922879#msg922879 date=1291146772]
[/quote]

Good lord. I was complimenting the kid for being a jack of all trades. If you tried reading the thread you would see that. I am going to go out on a limb and say that trevin has more family on this board than any other player from SETX.  ;D
[/quote]
[/quote]

He also has a very extensive "extended family" on this board. That's how we roll.

[quote name="Who'sYourPatty?" post="922909" timestamp="1291149172"]
[quote author=akifan94 link=topic=76798.msg922891#msg922891 date=1291147455]
[quote author=heartattack90 link=topic=76798.msg922879#msg922879 date=1291146772]
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

He also has a very extensive "extended family" on this board. [b]That's how we roll.[/b]

[/quote]Yep. Come on....If he would have played Safety all year, then we would be talking All-State. Trevin can also shoot a buck and bait a troutline too.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder