Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="mackbrown" post="730978" timestamp="1260915788"]
sfajack07, you probably did not see the run through since your head was stuck somewhere else
[/quote]

Well it was not up a board member's butt that is for sure.  I have been all over that campus.  I worked there from when I was a junior in school to when I interned there.  The only place I did not go was the superintendent's office to kiss his butt.  So, I guess it is in there.

[quote name="bh89-2" post="730684" timestamp="1260887509"]
I think BH would be a great draw and all these post won't matter one bit at the end of the day.  I agree, anyone with Alymond's resume would likely not leave for BH unless he wanted to stay close to home and nothing better was out there.  

As for press box and not having turff, I have to take up for Price here.  I also would love turff and a new visitor side.  Yes I think we need it and yes I think we will get it.  Now don't go think I am getting soft on Price, I am not.... ;D  Fact is most of us do not have an unlimited amount of money to spend at will.  If we did we probably woulnd not be living in Chamber County and certainly would not be posting on here.  We all remember (well, most older folks do) The Robin Hood Act.  Then, BH dumped a ton of cash into almost every building we have.  Since then we have added a new baseball field, new football practice field, junior high football field/track, improved basketball facilities, new score board, improved home side of football stands, built new press box, and much more.  I can't even begin to imagine what all this cost and I am pretty sure anyone from smiley, CE king, Dayton, Crosby, etc..... would love to have 1/2 the money BH spent.  The great news is the citizens approved those funds through bond referindums. Consider those who have turf and what facilities they have:  Dayton's stand are poor at best, Dayton's locker rooms are older than dirt, Crosby's stands are so small you have to share a hot dog with your neighbor, Galena Park shares their stadium with someone (not just anyone either, NS).  There are poor districts who have nothing and that's giving them some.  I really think we need to be thankful for what we have and be responsible with what we want/need.  We have spent a ton of money and yes we need to spend more.  Hopefully the new guy will put together a plan the Board will approve for turf and expanding the visitor side stands.  Frankly, with all that has been done over the past years, not sure how anyone could justify that expense before now.

OK, so not to be soft........glad we are getting a new coach.  
[/quote]

Dayton's stands are poor at best?  Not sure why you feel compelled to talk about our stadium when yalls stadium is a dump.  We have a brand new stadium, field and scoreboard.  Not to mention our stadium seats 3000 more than yours.

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=865
http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=872

[quote name="Grammar Police" post="728245" timestamp="1260559945"]
[quote author=the_dude_abides link=topic=62612.msg728236#msg728236 date=1260559297]
If i were running the show over there, I would target the OC at Friendswood, Brenham, Dayton, or maybe take a shot in the dark at some of the guys with usual state contenders like Lake Travis or Katy.  But from the way this sounds, this isn't going to be a hire based solely on football.
[/quote]

I used to know another poster, on another board, who used the "Dude" monicker. He became famous during the Can Rebellion of '05.
[/quote]

viva la can......

"Dayton stands are a dump"????

I guess since the people in Barbers Hill are eating their hot dogs with "Gray Poupon" on them they think "good stands" are made of concrete are built into the sides of hills (like Baytown's or Galena Park's)

Truth be told....
The stadium structure itself in Dayton is a gazzilion times better than Barbers Hill...
I do give Barbers Hill the edge on at least having the school parking lots to use and also the dressing room facilities are better at the Hill, but to say that the stands in Dayton (almost twice as large in total capacity) is a dump...
Ignorance exists even in wealth....

I do hope Barbers Hill does get a quality coach (unfortunately they just got rid of the person who qualifies under the job description).
Good luck to the guy that comes in there, I hope he can find starting spots for all the "blue bird" parents out there that think their child is an all American.

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="731043" timestamp="1260924049"]

I guess since the people in Barbers Hill are eating their hot dogs with "Gray Poupon" on them they think "good stands" are made of concrete are built into the sides of hills (like Baytown's or Galena Park's)

Truth be told....
The stadium structure itself in Dayton is a gazzilion times better than Barbers Hill...
I do give Barbers Hill the edge on at least having the school parking lots to use and also the dressing room facilities are better at the Hill, but to say that the stands in Dayton (almost twice as large in total capacity) is a dump...

I do hope Barbers Hill does get a quality coach (unfortunately they just got rid of the person who qualifies under the job description).
Good luck to the guy that comes in there, I hope he can find starting spots for all the "blue bird" parents out there that think their child is an all American.
[/quote]

The grey poupon comment is funny, as well as spot on.  There's a reason they have the reputation they have on "the hill"

Guest GCMPats
[size=12pt]Barbers Hill advertises for athletic director[/size]

By Dave Rogers
The Baytown Sun
Published December 16, 2009

MONT BELVIEU — Barbers Hill began to advertise Tuesday for a new head football coach-athletic director.

The posting on the BHISD Web site called for the new hire to begin work in January.

The next board meeting is scheduled Jan. 18, according to the Web site. The board must approve all hirings in open session.

“We’re going to get a real good coach in here,” said Greg Poole, the BHISD superintendent, in an interview after the meeting adjourned.

“Judging from the informal requests prior to posting the job, I’d say there’s significant interest. The reality is this should be a job that’s a coveted job.”

Poole said the job must be posted for 10 calendar days before any official action can be taken on hiring the replacement for Don Price, who is the second-winningest coach in school history with a record of 99-35 that included six district titles and playoff teams nine of his 12 years.

Late Monday night, at the end of its regular December meeting, the BHISD school board voted unanimously to approve the separation agreement between the district and Price, who came to Barbers Hill in 1992 and became head coach and athletic director in 1998.

Price had previously said the agreement called for the district to pay him more than $150,000 to buy out the remaining year and a half on his contract.

Before the board went into a two-hour closed session to discuss personnel and legal matters, Poole reported on a recent meeting of BHISD “stakeholders” that included representatives of area sports and civic groups. He said the meeting produced a list of “characteristics” the stakeholders would like to see in a new athletic director.

“Number one was the ability to communicate and bring people together,” the superintendent told a small group of students, parents, teachers and administrators. He did not list any other characteristics.

No one came forward to talk on any district issue during the public comment portion of the meeting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/quote]

the only thing I can see wrong with the [u][b]visiting [/b] [/u] stands is that they may need to be pressure washed. My little boy climbed them a bunch this year and I didn't find a rickety step in them.... I could be wrong.

I hope BH gets a great coach ..... their kids work hard and will be fine.

Dr. Poole is acting like a  jerk.  Him saying "We're going to get a real good coach in here" is a direct shot at Coach Price.  They may not have seen eye to eye but that comment was out of line.  And for the people who are not going to agree with me, Poole should have stated something along the lines of....We will hire the most qualified applicant for this job.  

Truth be told....

[/quote]

Since we are both without a football season, got to poke at you about something...... ;)  Up until next year, we can't brag about kicking your tail in football, so at least we can take a shot at you when we can  ;D ;D  All kidding aside, the turf is nice and sonic was not too far to park.... ;) 

[quote name="fanofthegame7" post="731036" timestamp="1260923337"]
[quote author=Grammar Police link=topic=62612.msg728245#msg728245 date=1260559945]
[quote author=the_dude_abides link=topic=62612.msg728236#msg728236 date=1260559297]
If i were running the show over there, I would target the OC at Friendswood, Brenham, Dayton, or maybe take a shot in the dark at some of the guys with usual state contenders like Lake Travis or Katy.  But from the way this sounds, this isn't going to be a hire based solely on football.
[/quote]

I used to know another poster, on another board, who used the "Dude" monicker. He became famous during the Can Rebellion of '05.
[/quote]

viva la can......
[/quote]

I know a little about the Can

[quote name="Stranger" post="731296" timestamp="1260973214"]
Dr. Poole is acting like a  jerk.  Him saying "We're going to get a real good coach in here" is a direct shot at Coach Price.  They may not have seen eye to eye but that comment was out of line.  And for the people who are not going to agree with me, Poole should have stated something along the lines of....We will hire the most qualified applicant for this job.  
[/quote]

I agree... he needs to be ALOT more diplomatic.

[quote name="Stranger" post="731296" timestamp="1260973214"]
[/quote]

[URL=http://img194.imageshack.us/i/bulseye.jpg/][IMG]http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/644/bulseye.jpg[/img][/URL]

[quote name="jhamilton" post="730509" timestamp="1260838711"]
[quote author=sfajack07 link=topic=62612.msg730294#msg730294 date=1260822696]
[quote author=tnt_mom link=topic=62612.msg730099#msg730099 date=1260806240]
Funny they won't remodel the stadium but they didn't hesitate to make that Press box larger than life...It sticks out all the way from I-10.  Sorry to see BH this way.  I always heard good things about BH (Academics and Athletics) before we moved here but now it's quite the opposite, at least for athletics.
[/quote]

Yeah it looks like a crown on top of a homeless person.  The press box looks good,  but the visitors side, the consession stand, and the field is not up to par. Come on now Huffman has a better facility then the Hill does.  The only reason the hill got a new press box was because of the hurricane.
[/quote]

Why the shot at Huffman?
[/quote]

Just sounds like a small stirring of some very old rivalry feelings haha...

This is posted on the front page of BHISD website.

District Facts
• Located in Mont Belvieu, Texas

• Classification:  District 19-4A

• Current District Enrollment:  4,110

• Percentage of Students Enrolled in Athletics:  46%

• Sports Offered:

Girls—Volleyball, Basketball, Cross Country, Tennis, Golf, Swimming, Softball and Track

Boys—Football, Basketball, Cross Country, Tennis, Golf, Swimming, Baseball and Track

• Athletic State Championships:

Football—1971 (co-champs), 1976

Girls Basketball—1982, 1983, 1997

Boys Track—1935, 1956

• Additional football success:
 (Barbers Hill was too small to compete for state championship)

Bi-district champions:  1940, 1941

Regional Champions:  1954, 1955, 1956, 1962, 1963

• Lone Star Cup Runner-Up:  2007

• Academic State Championships:  33

• District Athletic Championships in the last 5 years:  51

• Team State Qualifiers in last 5 years:

Volleyball—2004 (State Runner-Up)

Girls Softball—2008

Girls Cross Country—2008

There seems to be quite a bit of missing information in some of the sports.   Football has more than 2 bi-district championships.  I am embarrassed for BH that the information on their site is wrong, they should be embarrassed as well.  And what does (football was too small to compete for a state championship) mean?

[quote name="dayton" post="731312" timestamp="1260974041"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=62612.msg731296#msg731296 date=1260973214]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think folks may be a little sensitive here.  Does wearing purple do that to you?  We have a beautiful Royal Blue if you need to re-apply for your man-card.  He did not say, we need change and getting a "Good Coach" will bring that.  He just simply stated they were going to get a "good coach".  I don't see that as a shot at Price, but a statement BH wants to hire the best they can.   ;D          

[quote name="dayton" post="731295" timestamp="1260973191"]
[quote author=PURPLE 4EVER link=topic=62612.msg731043#msg731043 date=1260924049]
[/quote]

the only thing I can see wrong with the [u][b]visiting [/b] [/u] stands is that they may need to be pressure washed. My little boy climbed them a bunch this year and I didn't find a rickety step in them.... I could be wrong.

I hope BH gets a great coach ..... their kids work hard and will be fine.
[/quote]

Yea Dayton may not have the nicest stands I have ever seen but no one from BH can say anything because we chose to put in some very cheap looking side stands to the visitors side instead of just fixing them right. It looks like crap and has since the day they decided to only fix the home side of the stadium.

[quote name="bh89-2" post="731329" timestamp="1260974709"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=62612.msg731312#msg731312 date=1260974041]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=62612.msg731296#msg731296 date=1260973214]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think folks may be a little sensitive here.  Does wearing purple do that to you?  We have a beautiful Royal Blue if you need to re-apply for your man-card.  He did not say, we need change and getting a "Good Coach" will bring that.  He just simply stated they were going to get a "good coach".  I don't see that as a shot at Price, but a statement BH wants to hire the best they can.   ;D          
[/quote]

;D man card..... this would be a good time to throw out a momma joke, but I won't.  :D

I'll explain what I mean.... If I were in Dr. Poole's shoes, I wouldn't say anything that could be misconstrued as a shot on Price. "We're gonna get a real good coach in here".... in some eyes could be taken to mean you didn't have one before. I don't expect anything less from BH than going after the best.

bh89-2 he should have said that then, he chose to use other words.  He knows it was a shot at Price and in my professional opinion he should have said something different.  He implied Price is not a good coach when in fact he is.  Many of you do not know the things Poole has done in the past, and some of them are not very impressive.  I am referring to his duties as a former head football coach and principal.

[quote name="Stranger" post="731327" timestamp="1260974623"]
This is posted on the front page of BHISD website.

• Sports Offered:

• Athletic State Championships:

Football—1971 (co-champs), 1976

Girls Basketball—1982, 1983, 1997

Boys Track—1935, 1956

• Additional football success:
 (Barbers Hill was too small to compete for state championship)

Bi-district champions:  1940, 1941

Regional Champions:  1954, 1955, 1956, 1962, 1963

There seems to be quite a bit of missing information in some of the sports.   Football has more than 2 bi-district championships.  I am embarrassed for BH that the information on their site is wrong, they should be embarrassed as well.  And what does (football was too small to compete for a state championship) mean?
[/quote]

I think in the early 40's, bi-district was as far as we could go that is why it is listed.  I think one of those teams allowed less than 7 points the entire year.

As far as playoffs we have made it 33 times from what I was able to find on Texas football sight.  (Dayton has 25 appearances and Crosby 20)
1940, 41, 43, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 62, 63, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 75, 76, 79, 80, 81, 87, 88, 89, 92, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="cardinal66" post="731422" timestamp="1260982890"]
This is not the only school looking for a new head football coach.  Rumor has it there is another school reassigning their coach in this district.
[/quote]

Which district?

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="cardinal66" post="731440" timestamp="1260984022"]
19-4a, just got news on a great coach and tremendous person getting reassigned within the school.
[/quote]
Kingwood Park?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder