Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

School board meets tonight.  Hopefully they will approve a plan to begin the interview process after the holidays.  That will give time for the state championship games to be played and everyone should then be available for whatever comes.

[url=http://www.bhisd.net/PublicNotices/Board/091214.pdf]http://www.bhisd.net/PublicNotices/Board/091214.pdf[/url]

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GCMPats
Here's a name that may toss his hat into the ring:

David Aymond

NS Football Coach, Campus Athletic Coordinator

- 23-5A Coach of Year 1995,1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005
- Greater Houston Coach of Year 1996
- Director of Greater Houston Football Coaches Association 1997-98
- Houston Touchdown Club Player of Year Committee – 1997, 1998
- Texas High School Coaches Association Board of Directors: 1997-2001
- Touchdown Club Coach of the Year: 1996 and 2003
- Touchdown Club Coach of the Year Finalist: 2002
- NFL Houston Texans 5A Coach of the Year: 2003
- 5A Division | State Champion 15-0: 2003

Rumor is that he and North Shore may be ready for a change.

Funny they won't remodel the stadium but they didn't hesitate to make that Press box larger than life...It sticks out all the way from I-10.  Sorry to see BH this way.  I always heard good things about BH (Academics and Athletics) before we moved here but now it's quite the opposite, at least for athletics.

[quote name="tnt_mom" post="730099" timestamp="1260806240"]
Funny they won't remodel the stadium but they didn't hesitate to make that Press box larger than life...It sticks out all the way from I-10.  Sorry to see BH this way.  I always heard good things about BH (Academics and Athletics) before we moved here but now it's quite the opposite, at least for athletics.
[/quote]

Yeah it looks like a crown on top of a homeless person.  The press box looks good,  but the visitors side, the consession stand, and the field is not up to par. Come on now Huffman has a better facility then the Hill does.  The only reason the hill got a new press box was because of the hurricane.

In regards to the pressbox, The Baytown Sun stated that the cost was 1.4 million...Hate to say it, but somebody got royally screwed....elevator and all......I could build a 6500 sq ft. house on the bay, real estate and all for that price and have money left over for a couple new Hummers and then some....but thats another story....Need turf badly.......+Wow, Eric Silva, your the man!

[quote name="GCMPats" post="730077" timestamp="1260801961"]

David Aymond

[/quote]
I don't see Aymond leaving North Shore for "the hill"

[quote name="downgoesfrazier" post="730409" timestamp="1260828247"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62612.msg730077#msg730077 date=1260801961]

David Aymond

[/quote]
I don't see Aymond leaving North Shore for "the hill"
[/quote]

$$$$$$ can change things.  ;)

Aymond is already making over 100K, so money will not be the issue, he is making plenty of it.  By the way, North Shore should have more than one state title on their hands with all the D1 athletes they pump out each year.  They may be ready to see him go, but he would be coaching a different kind of kid at BH than NS. 

[quote name="Stranger" post="730458" timestamp="1260832192"]
Aymond is already making over 100K, so money will not be the issue, he is making plenty of it.  By the way, North Shore should have more than one state title on their hands with all the D1 athletes they pump out each year.  They may be ready to see him go, but he would be coaching a different kind of kid at BH than NS. 
[/quote]

In 2005 his estimated salary (based on 1995 actual plus a stadard inflation rate) put him at $99,958 (estimated).  Then, he was estimated to be the 6th higest paid coach for the survey conducted [url=http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/coaching_salaries.pdf]http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/coaching_salaries.pdf[/url].  I am sure he is over 100K by now.

He does have a resume, no doubt.

[quote name="Stranger" post="730458" timestamp="1260832192"]
[/quote]

First of all, it's not like state championships grow on trees, regardless of the talent.  Secondly if North Shore wanted him out, don't you think he'd have better options than Barbers Hill.

Guest jhamilton
[quote name="sfajack07" post="730294" timestamp="1260822696"]
[quote author=tnt_mom link=topic=62612.msg730099#msg730099 date=1260806240]
[/quote]

Yeah it looks like a crown on top of a homeless person.  The press box looks good,  but the visitors side, the consession stand, and the field is not up to par. Come on now Huffman has a better facility then the Hill does.  The only reason the hill got a new press box was because of the hurricane.
[/quote]

Why the shot at Huffman?

[quote name="jhamilton" post="730509" timestamp="1260838711"]
[quote author=sfajack07 link=topic=62612.msg730294#msg730294 date=1260822696]
[quote author=tnt_mom link=topic=62612.msg730099#msg730099 date=1260806240]
Funny they won't remodel the stadium but they didn't hesitate to make that Press box larger than life...It sticks out all the way from I-10.  Sorry to see BH this way.  I always heard good things about BH (Academics and Athletics) before we moved here but now it's quite the opposite, at least for athletics.
[/quote]

Yeah it looks like a crown on top of a homeless person.  The press box looks good,  but the visitors side, the consession stand, and the field is not up to par. Come on now Huffman has a better facility then the Hill does.  The only reason the hill got a new press box was because of the hurricane.
[/quote]

Why the shot at Huffman?
[/quote]

Just saying that a 3-A school has better venues than a 4-A.

Not only did they spend too much money on press box, the laptop program is ridiculous. I have a 90 lb 7th grader with twigs for legs carrying a laptop bag, huge back pack, athletics bag and purse all day. Doesn't have time to go to locker. Then on days when she has a project due I have to carry things in. Half the time the laptop can't connect to internet for her to do homework.

Aymond has nice resume, but I'd favor bringing in a 35 -40 year old guy with a proven track record much like PNG did from Permian......Aymond's not getting any younger and who knows how many more years he'll coach. Money won't be an issue, if BH wants a guy they'll pay him.....and he'll be working with top notch kids..Rgeardless of likes or dislikes towards the schoolboard BH is a top job for almost any coach......Bet he gets turf almost instantly!

The below was taken from the BHISD webesite:

Job Description: It is the desire of this community that Barbers Hill ISD is a leader in all areas including boys and girls extra-curricular activities. The Director of Athletics shall have the responsibility of general supervision and coordination of the competitive sports program of the Middle and Senior High Schools of the BHISD. It is to this director that the coaches shall look for direction, guidance and assistance in the improvement and effective operation of the athletic program. The Athletic Director shall establish the best possible relations with the school administration, faculty, students, parents and the community in general and to strive that all may look toward the athletic department with pride. The Athletic Director shall support the policies and practices of BHISD.

Dr. Poole and the Board are a joke at BH. 

I think BH would be a great draw and all these post won't matter one bit at the end of the day.  I agree, anyone with Alymond's resume would likely not leave for BH unless he wanted to stay close to home and nothing better was out there.  

As for press box and not having turff, I have to take up for Price here.  I also would love turff and a new visitor side.  Yes I think we need it and yes I think we will get it.  Now don't go think I am getting soft on Price, I am not.... ;D  Fact is most of us do not have an unlimited amount of money to spend at will.  If we did we probably woulnd not be living in Chamber County and certainly would not be posting on here.  We all remember (well, most older folks do) The Robin Hood Act.  Then, BH dumped a ton of cash into almost every building we have.  Since then we have added a new baseball field, new football practice field, junior high football field/track, improved basketball facilities, new score board, improved home side of football stands, built new press box, and much more.  I can't even begin to imagine what all this cost and I am pretty sure anyone from smiley, CE king, Dayton, Crosby, etc..... would love to have 1/2 the money BH spent.  The great news is the citizens approved those funds through bond referindums. Consider those who have turf and what facilities they have:  Dayton's stand are poor at best, Dayton's locker rooms are older than dirt, Crosby's stands are so small you have to share a hot dog with your neighbor, Galena Park shares their stadium with someone (not just anyone either, NS).  There are poor districts who have nothing and that's giving them some.  I really think we need to be thankful for what we have and be responsible with what we want/need.  We have spent a ton of money and yes we need to spend more.  Hopefully the new guy will put together a plan the Board will approve for turf and expanding the visitor side stands.  Frankly, with all that has been done over the past years, not sure how anyone could justify that expense before now.

OK, so not to be soft........glad we are getting a new coach.  

Guest GCMPats
Title:  Athletic Director/Head Football Coach    

Job Description:
It is the desire of this community that Barbers Hill ISD is a leader in all areas including boys and girls extra-curricular activities. The Director of Athletics shall have the responsibility of general supervision and coordination of the competitive sports program of the Middle and Senior High Schools of the BHISD. It is to this director that the coaches shall look for direction, guidance and assistance in the improvement and effective operation of the athletic program. The Athletic Director shall establish the best possible relations with the school administration, faculty, students, parents and the community in general and to strive that all may look toward the athletic department with pride. The Athletic Director shall support the policies and practices of BHISD.  
Building/Campus Athletic Department  

Start Date:  January, 2010  

Duty Days : (Help)  226  

Qualifications:   *Valid Texas Teaching Certificate

Salary Range:    Salary for this position is negotiable and will be based upon the candidate's experience.

Extra-Curricular  Coaching/Sponsoring Required Football

Subject Area/Teaching Field/Endorsement :

Grades 10, 11, 12, 7, 8, 9  

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="730688" timestamp="1260887781"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=62612.msg730675#msg730675 date=1260886806]
The below was taken from the BHISD webesite:

Job Description: It is the desire of this community that Barbers Hill ISD is a leader in all areas including boys and girls extra-curricular activities. The Director of Athletics shall have the responsibility of general supervision and coordination of the competitive sports program of the Middle and Senior High Schools of the BHISD. It is to this director that the coaches shall look for direction, guidance and assistance in the improvement and effective operation of the athletic program. The Athletic Director shall establish the best possible relations with the school administration, faculty, students, parents and the community in general and to strive that all may look toward the athletic department with pride. The Athletic Director shall support the policies and practices of BHISD.

Dr. Poole and the Board are a joke at BH.   

Unless they are willing to dump a ton of money on two people, not sure how you hire an AD without them being the head coach.  For a coach looking to expand their resume, not sure you would hire one without him being AD and HC.  Considering who we have had, I can undertsand why there is a reference to "best possible relations........."    ??? ??? ???
[/quote]
[/quote]

Job posting requires football and clearly states AD/Head Football.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="730685" timestamp="1260887537"]

Job Description:
It is the desire of this community that Barbers Hill ISD is a leader in all areas including boys and girls extra-curricular activities. The Director of Athletics shall have the responsibility of general supervision and coordination of the competitive sports program of the Middle and Senior High Schools of the BHISD. It is to this director that the coaches shall look for direction, guidance and assistance in the improvement and effective operation of the athletic program. The Athletic Director shall establish the best possible relations with the school administration, faculty, students, parents and the community in general and to strive that all may look toward the athletic department with pride. The Athletic Director shall support the policies and practices of BHISD.  

Salary Range:    Salary for this position is negotiable and will be based upon the candidate's experience.

[/quote]

They forgot to put in the part about sucking up to some of the school board members.

[quote name="bh89-2" post="730684" timestamp="1260887509"]
I think BH would be a great draw and all these post won't matter one bit at the end of the day.  I agree, anyone with Alymond's resume would likely not leave for BH unless he wanted to stay close to home and nothing better was out there.  

As for press box and not having turff, I have to take up for Price here.  I also would love turff and a new visitor side.  Yes I think we need it and yes I think we will get it.  Now don't go think I am getting soft on Price, I am not.... ;D  Fact is most of us do not have an unlimited amount of money to spend at will.  If we did we probably woulnd not be living in Chamber County and certainly would not be posting on here.  We all remember (well, most older folks do) The Robin Hood Act.  Then, BH dumped a ton of cash into almost every building we have.  Since then we have added a new baseball field, new football practice field, junior high football field/track, improved basketball facilities, new score board, improved home side of football stands, built new press box, and much more.  I can't even begin to imagine what all this cost and I am pretty sure anyone from smiley, CE king, Dayton, Crosby, etc..... would love to have 1/2 the money BH spent.  The great news is the citizens approved those funds through bond referindums. Consider those who have turf and what facilities they have:  Dayton's stand are poor at best, Dayton's locker rooms are older than dirt, Crosby's stands are so small you have to share a hot dog with your neighbor, Galena Park shares their stadium with someone (not just anyone either, NS).  There are poor districts who have nothing and that's giving them some.  I really think we need to be thankful for what we have and be responsible with what we want/need.  We have spent a ton of money and yes we need to spend more.  Hopefully the new guy will put together a plan the Board will approve for turf and expanding the visitor side stands.  Frankly, with all that has been done over the past years, not sure how anyone could justify that expense before now.

OK, so not to be soft........glad we are getting a new coach.  
[/quote]

Well put.  Additionally I believe that we were close to taking up the turf issue before Rita, and then Ike.  Ike inflicted the 3rd highest $ damage to BH facilities of all school districts on the Gulf Coast.  (Something like $13-15 mil, but could be off).  When you are having to replace infrastructure critical to meeting academic needs, sports facilities should come second.  Remember it took an entire year to get the field house/gym back in operation (better than ever!).  I'll say something about Dr. Poole now, since there has been some bashing on here...I have come to know him a little on personal level (similar aged kids activities, etc), but more so from viewing his actions and decision making since he's been here.  Its my opinion that he has worked tirelessly since arriving here, to not only keep the BH standard high but make it even better in the face of rapid growth.  I could list numerous examples of why I think he is an outstanding Supt., but he doesn't need my cheerleading.  I think a lot of people think a Supintendant should be a politician, trying to please everyone, and some act that way, but ultimately they are the "General Manager" of a business.  Managing is a tough business, many times having to make unpleasant decisions, that are unpopular to some, or many, but best for the business.  Its MY opinion that he has not shied away from making those decisions, and it has made BH a better place to go to school and work.  I know I'd rather manage a business than a school district!  At least I don't have to hear about little Suzy being treated unfairly and not making first chair in 8th grade band, ha.  But somebody has to do it and do it well...I think he does an overall great job.

[quote name="sfajack07" post="730711" timestamp="1260890561"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62612.msg730685#msg730685 date=1260887537]

Job Description:

[/quote]

They forgot to put in the part about sucking up to some of the school board members.

[/quote]

Do you know of a job that does not require sucking up (politics)?  When you get done chasing girls at Bullfrogs, better pucker up..... :-* :-* :-* :-*

This was taken from another site that has posted the BH job:

Job Requirements:
The Athletic Director will work with the entire coaching staff to ensure that all sports and athletes are treated fairly. The Athletic Director will ensure that all athletic games are scheduled in a timely manner and that all facilities are prepared for events that are hosted at BHISD. The Athletic Director will create an athletic handbook which outlines the policies and guidelines that all participants are expected to follow. The Athletic Director will work cooperatively with the high school and middle school principals to create a strong focus on academics as well as athletics. Additionally, the Athletic Director create positive parent and community relationships to ensure that the athletic program is viewed by all as a program which focuses on student achievement and success.

All of this was already being done to an exceptional level.  The only part that a few people have complained about is "create positive parent and community relationships to ensure that the athletic program is viewed by all as a program which focuses on student achievement and success".  The only reason that people have complained about it because only a select few do not think Price was giving their kids a fair chance.  I would say to those parents, get over yourself and look at your kid realistically.  I know one parent on the school board who's sole purpose was to run Price out of town because she thinks her son was treated unfairly in baseball a few years ago.  They need to move back to North Shore, BH was better without her and her husband.

Good luck to the next guy they hire, he will need it. 

[quote name="bh89-2" post="730744" timestamp="1260894493"]
[quote author=sfajack07 link=topic=62612.msg730711#msg730711 date=1260890561]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62612.msg730685#msg730685 date=1260887537]

Job Description:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you know of a job that does not require sucking up (politics)?  When you get done chasing girls at Bullfrogs, better pucker up..... :-* :-* :-* :-*
[/quote]

Not my kind of place!!!  More of a Flashbacks guy.  ;D ;D ;D

I have talked to some people on the board and directors at BH and have heard that there [b]IS [/b] money in the budget for turf among other things. Price says turf doesn't make you win ball games, neither does the dome they run thru at the beginning and halftime at games(which we have but can't use), neither does "re-skinning" helmets before playoff games (same ratty decals torn up thru reg. season games).I grew up with coaching (not from here) that says if you look good, you feel good, you play good! Kind of a MORAL booster! BH got a new scoreboard with the little snowflakes and not rerun because it doesn't win ball games. It was a known pissing contest between the Coach and the Board, and who loses??? The kids!! Everyone needs to take themselves out of the equation and remember we are teaching and coaching kids to get them ready for the next level or life in general... What do you think the past few classes will remember or take on in life???

[quote name="BringinTheHeat" post="730936" timestamp="1260912890"]
I have talked to some people on the board and directors at BH and have heard that there [b]IS [/b] money in the budget for turf among other things. Price says turf doesn't make you win ball games, neither does the dome they run thru at the beginning and halftime at games(which we have but can't use), neither does "re-skinning" helmets before playoff games (same ratty decals torn up thru reg. season games).I grew up with coaching (not from here) that says if you look good, you feel good, you play good! Kind of a MORAL booster! BH got a new scoreboard with the little snowflakes and not rerun because it doesn't win ball games. It was a known pissing contest between the Coach and the Board, and who loses??? The kids!! Everyone needs to take themselves out of the equation and remember we are teaching and coaching kids to get them ready for the next level or life in general... What do you think the past few classes will remember or take on in life???
[/quote]

Coach Price wanted turf. He asked for it when they were discussing bonds.  But that is the first thing that was tossed.  Barbers Hill does not have a run through.  I never saw it when I was there.  And stickers were changed out before playoff games.  Some players like having stickers that were roughed up though.  Do you know how many people it takes to have instant replay?  It takes a whole team.  It is not just two people.  Schools that have instant replay usually have an AV Club to do it.  I guess it is Coach Price's fault for not having an AV Club at Barbers Hill also.  Get your facts straight.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83