Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

[quote name="PURPLE 4EVER" post="720908" timestamp="1259606672"]
[quote author=kindafunny link=topic=62612.msg720907#msg720907 date=1259606357]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=62612.msg720890#msg720890 date=1259604475]
kindafunny, that may be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on here.  Believe me, every kid has been coached.  And a question for you...how do you coach a kid "as if they have the ability to be a D1 player"?  
[/quote]

YOU encourage, inspire and teach with positive reinforcement! :)
[/quote]
You can't coach natural speed.
You can't coach natural athletic ability.
Great coaching can improve players, but...
If you line up and around 5 of the players on the other side of the ball are just quicker than your guys, and maybe have a little more talent, odds are you will lose.
Just ask PN-G when they faced Brenham.
You people in Barbers Hill just pushed out a great coach.
Just seeing what Barbers Hill has in it's system now from 7th to 11th grade, Barbers Hill will be competitive in football, but a deep playoff run is probably not in the opting for a long time, regardless of the coach.
Good luck in finding a new coach, if he knows the parents he is going to be involved with, he might just look elsewhere.
[/quote]

Amen!!!  

Kindafunny...you are just that...kinda funny. I'm all for inspiration and pushing the kids to be better...we all are, that's what football is all about. What we're talking about is, there's no way to take a guy 5-10, 200lbs and make him 6-5, 300lbs, or a guy running a 5.0, in the Forty and inspire him so well he runs a 4.3 Forty. I believe kids can play larger than they are, but sometimes that doesn't matter when the guy in front of you is bigger, better and faster. If you ever watched Kenny Robbins play, we haven't had a offensive lineman even close to his ability since he graduated. There is a difference between high school good and College good...Kenny was college good.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="kindafunny" post="720907" timestamp="1259606357"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=62612.msg720890#msg720890 date=1259604475]
kindafunny, that may be one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read on here.  Believe me, every kid has been coached.  And a question for you...how do you coach a kid "as if they have the ability to be a D1 player"? 
[/quote]

YOU encourage, inspire and teach with positive reinforcement! :)
[/quote]

I've been reading this thread.  Nothing really to respond to until now.  You can encourage, inspire and teach with positive reinforcement all you want.  If they aren't D1 then they aren't D1, no matter how good or bad the coach is. There will never be a coach who will please everybody all the time, it's just not gonna happen.  Not in BH or anywhere else.

And before anyone jumps all over me: No I don't know Price personally, and Yes I have 2 athletes at BH and none of them are boys.  This is just my opinion. 

Everyone have a Great Day!

WOW  Pages of posts.    What an embarrassment for some of us that live on the Hill. 

I seldom post because most of the time the topic goes off subject.  I do read them from time to time for some of the smack talk is funny (PNG) and sometimes there are entertaining observations.  But, the subject for this one is 'Who will be the next Barbers Hill HC'. 

It is not whether we have D1 athletes or if we like Don or when I played... or if the we go tell someone to go 'eat an apple'.  If you want to know why he was asked to resign, go ask DR. Poole.  If you want to know how the Board members voted then go ask them.  Go to an extracurricular activity, you can also find a Board member there.  Express your thoughts and get theirs.

But, what ever you do stop lambasting things that go on at The Hill.  You may not agree with all the decisions for seldom is there ever a majority that does.  If you get involved and be a part of system then you may have justifiable comments which could actually impact things that happen before it happens.  You may find that the more involved you are, the more proud you will be of our community.

Coach Price, thank you for your years of commitment to Barbers Hill and we wish you the best of luck.

Now... 'Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

Hopefully we get some applicants from some top schools.  The OC Green at Lake Travis is a good fit, or the DC Thomas at Denton Ryan.  Maybe Poole could get some of the guys from the Woodlands here.  Would it not be nice to think that in order to draw that type of personnel we need, perhaps turf could be back on the docket.

Guest falcon83
[quote name="underrated2010" post="721127" timestamp="1259626639"]
[quote author=baytown link=topic=62612.msg721102#msg721102 date=1259624678]
bh pride you looking down at your noise at us because we state our opinion? this is a forum and we dont noah telling us about the flood.
[/quote]

Spell Check anyone?? ;)
[/quote]

Since when is this a English class? Good for Coach Price bc he got a healthy payout and hope he lands on his feet somewhere. I saw where Becky Tice is on the board. Is this the Tice family that is from Northsore and her husband Mark? Just wondering.

Guest falcon83
[quote name="BHtheHill" post="721306" timestamp="1259642753"]
ETBU - yes same person
[/quote]

Thanks Not going to be the same coming to the BH bb tourn over the holidays and seeing Coach Price working the door. Use to sell tickets and would visit with him for HOURS about football and life. Sad

[quote name="BHpride" post="721082" timestamp="1259622284"]
WOW  Pages of posts.    What an embarrassment for some of us that live on the Hill. 

I seldom post because most of the time the topic goes off subject.  I do read them from time to time for some of the smack talk is funny (PNG) and sometimes there are entertaining observations.  But, the subject for this one is 'Who will be the next Barbers Hill HC'. 

It is not whether we have D1 athletes or if we like Don or when I played... or if the we go tell someone to go 'eat an apple'.  If you want to know why he was asked to resign, go ask DR. Poole.  If you want to know how the Board members voted then go ask them.  Go to an extracurricular activity, you can also find a Board member there.  Express your thoughts and get theirs.

But, what ever you do stop lambasting things that go on at The Hill.  You may not agree with all the decisions for seldom is there ever a majority that does.  If you get involved and be a part of system then you may have justifiable comments which could actually impact things that happen before it happens.  You may find that the more involved you are, the more proud you will be of our community.

Coach Price, thank you for your years of commitment to Barbers Hill and we wish you the best of luck.

Now... 'Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

Hopefully we get some applicants from some top schools.  The OC Green at Lake Travis is a good fit, or the DC Thomas at Denton Ryan.  Maybe Poole could get some of the guys from the Woodlands here.  Would it not be nice to think that in order to draw that type of personnel we need, perhaps turf could be back on the docket.

[/quote]Good post BHPride!!!!!!!!!!!

BHpride, you are correct about the turf.  I think turf will happen not long after a new AD/HC is hired.  BH has the money right now to install a new turf surface but Dr. Poole and the Board have rejected it many times.  This is one of those deals that when the new guy gets here and asks for turf he will get it.  Its pretty embarrasing when BH spent over a million dollars on the Fieldhouse a few years ago for upgrades but still play on one of the worst surface in SE Texas. 

[quote name="Stranger" post="721395" timestamp="1259675479"]
BHpride, you are correct about the turf.  I think turf will happen not long after a new AD/HC is hired.  BH has the money right now to install a new turf surface but Dr. Poole and the Board have rejected it many times.  This is one of those deals that when the new guy gets here and asks for turf he will get it.  Its pretty embarrasing when BH spent over a million dollars on the Fieldhouse a few years ago for upgrades but still play on one of the worst surface in SE Texas. 
[/quote]

i'm not really one to try and keep up with the Jone'se but our field does look bad just in our district alone. North Forest is about the only one that looks worse. Maybe CE King but we need to do something. The visitor side needs some LOVE also. You are right!!!! I bet the "New Guy" gets it so I guess that will be good for BH.

The "Citizen's Advisory Committee" will begin meeting Friday afternoon to kick off the search effort.  From what I understand, the committee is a true cross section of "stakeholders" in the community.  I do not know who all of the members are (about 8 I think), but from the names I've heard they are very diverse in views of how the program has been run over the last few years.  In other words, NOT all of the same thinking at all.  Dr. Poole was careful to select members that have a "stake" in the athletic program.  They will include parents of current and former athletes (from SEVERAL sports), alum's and non-alum's (yes, MOVE-INS, lol).  

What the committee will do:  1)  Develop a job description that includes the values important to the community in an AD/HC, the desired experience  needed and finally, a desired "method of operation/style" in how the AD/HC will manage the business of BH athletics, including, but NOT LIMITED too, the football program.  2)  Continue to meet regularly throughout process to offer opinions representative of the community to Dr. Poole and other administrative managers involved in the search/selection.

What the committee will NOT do:  be involved in final decision of selection.  This is clearly the administration's, including Dr. Poole's, responsibility.

Will this committee help in the selection of the finest candidates possible?  I don't know, but at the very least it should guarantee the voice of the community is represented and heard.  I really applaud Dr. Poole for chartering the group and working very hard to select diverse voices of opinion.  

Nicely laid out HillGuy.  And yes it could be fun to watch it play out. 
One other strong piece to the puzzle is Barbara Ponder, Assistant Superintendent of Personnel.  This will be driven through her.  I have faith in her to help obtain the strongest candidate for our community. 
Also there are 3 OSU grads coaching at Southlake Carroll!

[quote name="Stranger" post="721501" timestamp="1259683139"]
MHS32, [b]even CE King has installed turf and a video scoreboard. [/b]  Looks like it is NF and BH vying for the worst field now.

Back to the topic......I hope they hire a proven winner and not just one of Poole's old coaching buddies.
[/quote]

When???

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="dayton" post="721625" timestamp="1259691917"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=62612.msg721501#msg721501 date=1259683139]
MHS32, [b]even CE King has installed turf and a video scoreboard. [/b]  Looks like it is NF and BH vying for the worst field now.

Back to the topic......I hope they hire a proven winner and not just one of Poole's old coaching buddies.
[/quote]

When???
[/quote]

Last year.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="721626" timestamp="1259691995"]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=62612.msg721625#msg721625 date=1259691917]

[/quote]

When???
[/quote]

Last year.
[/quote]

nice .... didn't know that. I know they had a lot of trouble with their natural field before though. good for them.

BH won't be far behind.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="dayton" post="721627" timestamp="1259692069"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62612.msg721626#msg721626 date=1259691995]
[quote author=dayton link=topic=62612.msg721625#msg721625 date=1259691917]

[/quote]

When???
[/quote]

Last year.
[/quote]

nice .... didn't know that. I know they had a lot of trouble with their natural field before though. good for them.

BH won't be far behind.
[/quote]

CE King has put a ton of $ into their facilities. Lots of improvements to the baseball field too. Track was not complete when GCM played there.

Back on topic  >:( - Charlie Weis and Bobby Bowden have inquired about the job. Also heard Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett and Gary Kubiak are just waiting on there pink slips ;D ;D.

Great Post by Kindafunny. As a coach we should be held responsible to coach ALL student athletes, whether male or female, football or basketball or baseball or soccer or track, as if they were all possibly D-1 athletes because THEY ALL ARE!! And if you coach, and don't follow that idea, then you are doing your student athletes a disservice. Or if you are too tired to work to help them get into college for athletics or just to become a future coach/teacher, you need to get out of the profession. There are a lot of coaches that are too lazy or think too highly of themselves to go the extra mile for ALL student athletes. The true D-1 athletes will get attention from those college coaches. It is the ones that are capable of playing D-2, D-3, NAIA, or juinor college that need the high school coaches attention. I have made it a point to train all like D-1 prospects and work like the devil to get all others interest from the lower college levels. Student athletes can read a coach very quickly and tell whether they are self-serving OR student/athlete serving.
Don't get me wrong there are a lot of great ones out there who are student first. My mentors Jerry Stewart of Dayton and Kent Bachtel of Waco Midway are definitely student first. Other coaches I've worked with that I would put in that category are Todd Schoppe (now AD at Laporte), Mike Bass (now Ad at Alvin), Coach Carson at Woodlands College Park, Dexter Wesley the OC at Aldine, Coach Simmons at Aldine (formerly of Smiley), and Bruce Bell formerly of Forest Brook and North Texas U. You also don't have to look any further than some of your youth leagues. There is no pay there just love for the kids. I know there are some bad apples in youth sports, just like in high school sports, but there are some youth coaches that I would like to have on my staff because I coached them throughout high school and I truly know their character. One that is like that is a Barbers Hill parent, Marcus Hamilton, who tries to work out BH athletes in the summer to help out the program. He has his heart in the right place and I wish he had a teaching certificate - I would hire him in an instant. He is the type of community member that makes Barbers Hill a great place to live.

Barbers hill has pretty darn good ATHLETIC PROGRAM (top to bottom), might just need the right guy to take them to the next level in Football if that is what they desire.When will the job post and will there be a FOI filed?????????????It will be interesting to see who applies.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder