Who Will Be The Next Barbers Hill HC?

KFDM COOP

You are correct BHFan, Coach Price will move on and be a head coach again very soon.  I will state as others have said though, this decision was not about football.  There are a few members on the board who openly despise Coach Price.  Also, Poole has done just about everything in his power to rid BH of anyone with the last  name of Price.  I will not be suprised if Coach Price is more succesfull at his new job than he was at BH.  

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Stranger" post="714257" timestamp="1258816171"]
You are correct BHFan, Coach Price will move on and be a head coach again very soon.  I will state as others have said though, this decision was not about football.  There are a few members on the board who openly despise Coach Price.  Also, Poole has done just about everything in his power to rid BH of anyone with the last  name of Price.  I will not be suprised if Coach Price is more succesfull at his new job than he was at BH.  
[/quote]

I have heard the same thing about them not likeing Coach Price. I'm just wondering if the dislike is valid. Why don't they like him?

This is so uncalled for - somebody needs to remove the post above. This goes way past the line. First of all don't ever bash a coach, it's even worse you attack them personally. This is not what we stand for at the "Hill". You may have your personal agenda like many do in the community buy don't join them. Stay true to what "Barbers Hill" stands for.

[quote name="EagleEyes" post="714810" timestamp="1258848953"]
This is so uncalled for - somebody needs to remove the post above. This goes way past the line. First of all don't ever bash a coach, it's even worse you attack them personally. This is not what we stand for at the "Hill". You may have your personal agenda like many do in the community buy don't join them. Stay true to what "Barbers Hill" stands for.

[/quote]

I agree...I have seen folks get banned for a lot less

[quote name="EagleEyes" post="714810" timestamp="1258848953"]

[/quote]

Sorry Coach.  I was out of line.  I am just frustrated with the whole situation.  It is not right.

All you can do is wait and see who applies. Speculation is just that, we found out last year. All kind of names were thrown out before applications were accepted (Andy Evans, Alvarez, etc...) and none of them even applied. When it was said and done our hiring committee hired the best man for the job without a doubt and I believe Barbers Hill will do the same. You guys have a quality school district that is very similar to PNG. Good luck in ya'lls search.

I think Barbers Hill should look for the following in their new head coach/athletic director:
1)  A proven winner as a football coach at least 80% lifetime winning percentage as a head coach
2)  Someone who has shown they can win over time not just one or two years (at least 100 wins as a head coach)
3)  Someone who has consistently taken his football teams to the playoffs (75% of the time)
4)  Someone who has made the playoffs at the 4A level with a small enrollment (50% in the playoffs and a district championship once in 4 years would be great)
5)  Someone who has been an athletic director and had success in all other sports also (multiple district championships in cross-country, volleyball, basketball, baseball, track, tennis, and golf)
6)  A good Christian man with high morals and values
7)  Someone who can direct the district in building projects as needed
8)  Someone who can oversee various events such as district track and cross-country meets, golf tournaments, playoff games, etc. with a high level of professionalism and knowledge to ensure they are handled properly
9)  Someone well respected by area coaches and athletic directors

Does anyone think Barbers Hill will be able to find this person?  You just allowed a small group of parents and spineless administrators run him off.  Morons!

[quote name="oldsarge777" post="715893" timestamp="1258938717"]
I think Barbers Hill should look for the following in their new head coach/athletic director:
1)   A proven winner as a football coach at least 80% lifetime winning percentage as a head coach
2)  Someone who has shown they can win over time not just one or two years (at least 100 wins as a head coach)
3)  Someone who has consistently taken his football teams to the playoffs (75% of the time)
4)  Someone who has made the playoffs at the 4A level with a small enrollment (50% in the playoffs and a district championship once in 4 years would be great)
5)  Someone who has been an athletic director and had success in all other sports also (multiple district championships in cross-country, volleyball, basketball, baseball, track, tennis, and golf)
8)  Someone who can oversee various events such as district track and cross-country meets, golf tournaments, playoff games, etc. with a high level of professionalism and knowledge to ensure they are handled properly

Does anyone think Barbers Hill will be able to find this person?  You just allowed a small group of parents and spineless administrators run him off.  Morons!
[/quote]
Left out the most important.  THE PLAYERS HAVE TO BELIEVE IN AND RESPECT THEIR HEAD COACH.  Right now they don't.  The rest is secondary.

1)   A proven winner as a football coach at least 80% lifetime winning percentage as a head coach

[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote author=oldsarge777 link=topic=62612.msg715893#msg715893 date=1258938717]
1)   A proven winner as a football coach at least 80% lifetime winning percentage as a head coach
2)  Someone who has shown they can win over time not just one or two years (at least 100 wins as a head coach)
3)  Someone who has consistently taken his football teams to the playoffs (75% of the time)
4)  Someone who has made the playoffs at the 4A level with a small enrollment (50% in the playoffs and a district championship once in 4 years would be great)
5)  Someone who has been an athletic director and had success in all other sports also (multiple district championships in cross-country, volleyball, basketball, baseball, track, tennis, and golf)
6)  A good Christian man with high morals and values
7)  Someone who can direct the district in building projects as needed
8)  Someone who can oversee various events such as district track and cross-country meets, golf tournaments, playoff games, etc. with a high level of professionalism and knowledge to ensure they are handled properly
9)  Someone well respected by area coaches and athletic directors

Does anyone think Barbers Hill will be able to find this person?  You just allowed a small group of parents and spineless administrators run him off.  Morons!
[/quot

[size=14pt][b]Unless this "Super" hits one out of the park with his next couple of moves, we could be in for a long, long dry spell in BH athletics. To be honest though, I haven't seen one thing that he's done that would make me think he's gonna go yard in his next at bat. Batter up![/b][/size]

[quote name="UgotTRUCKED" post="715932" timestamp="1258943483"]
[quote author=oldsarge777 link=topic=62612.msg715893#msg715893 date=1258938717]

[/quote]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Very good post Old Sarge, I agree 100%.

Trucked u are also correct, this sup & his chronies don't have a very good track record of new hires.

It's always funny how people take part of the truth and spin it to make their own version of the story. 

Barbers Hill district meeting centers on A.D.
By Ken Fountain
Baytown Sun
Published June 7, 2005
MONT BELVIEU – During an unusually crowded meeting of the Barbers Hill school district, several people voiced their strong support for Don Price, head high school football coach and district athletic director.

But when Superintendent Wayne Rotan announced that Price’s job was secure following a lengthy executive session, the C.T. Joseph Conference Center quickly emptied.

Rumors had flown since last week that Price would be dismissed or his duties altered, and the audience was buzzing with excitement as the meeting time approached.

Board president Philip Joines entreated both public speakers and board members to treat each other respectfully.

The first speaker was Bruce Mintz, an attorney for Price, who was not able to attend.

Mintz said he would make a demand that any discussions of Price’s employment be done during an open session or a public meeting.

Laurie Guidry told the board members that “it’s said that the public has to be here because we are afraid that our athletic director’s job is in jeopardy.”

“We don’t think you support our athletic director or the superintendent,” she said. “It’s not your role to check references, or to micromanage (the administration).”

“Get off their backs and let them do their jobs,” she said.

Most of the speakers who followed reiterated Guidry’s support for Price.

“His record speaks for itself. He’s had 40-plus victories, and many, many winning seasons,” said Kenny Robbins.

Susan Fregia, a teacher with the district for 21 years, said that sports” is more than just about winning, and Don Price exemplifies that.”

“He exemplifies the integrity and the honor and the hope that I strive to teach in my classroom,” she said.

Angel Coon said that she was primarily interested in talking about the basketball program, particularly the girls program, which she said had fallen behind after a period of several winning seasons.

“I think the program is at a critical juncture. We need to decide if we’re going to bolster the program, or watch as it withers away before our eyes,” she said.

Coon implored the trustees to “do whatever it takes to put in the right people (to improve the program).”

Former girls basketball coach Angela Gober, who resigned about three weeks ago, said that she appeared to “squelch any rumors about why I left.”

Gober said that unlike rumors that she and Price did not get along, she resigned in order to help her mother, who is in failing health, as she wrote in her resignation letter.

After hearing from all the speakers, the board retired into an executive session that lasted nearly an hour.

When they emerged, the board unanimously approved a number of personnel changes recommended by Rotan, none of which included Price or a new girls basketball coach.

Afterward, Rotan told the audience that he had had discussions with Price about the possibility of creating a new position of girls athletics coordinator, who would directly handle the day-to-day administration of the girls programs.

The person in that position would answer to Price, he said. Rotan said that the district’s size did not justify the creation of a separate athletics director position.

Rotan said that he and Price were also discussing the hiring of a new girls basketball coach.

“I want the same thing everybody in this room does, to have a successful program, Coach Price and I will do whatever it takes to get the best person available,” he said, adding that there were several potential “in-house” candidates.

In response to a question posed by trustee Benny May, Rotan said a decision should me made before the end of the month.

Following the discussion of the athletics program, the next and last item on the agenda was a budget workshop for the next school year. The nearly filled seats of the auditorium quickly emptied.

BH boys forced to drop out of Classic
By Doyle Barlow
Baytown Sun
Published December 21, 2006
Faced with a choice of paying for a mistake now or paying for it later, Barbers Hill chose the former. As a result, when the Gulf Coast Classic tips off next week at Barbers Hill, the BH boys basketball team will be on the sidelines watching instead of playing.

The Eagles will be sitting after it was discovered that if they played, they would be in violation of UIL rules that limit how many games a team can play. UIL regulations state that a team is only allowed to play 21 regular season games and three tournaments.

Barbers Hill has already played 16 games this season, although seven of those were in tournament play and don’t count against the regulkar season total. But having played nine regular season contests with 13 district games remaining, playing in the Gulf Coast Classic would have put them over the limit. As a result, the Eagles would have been forced to forfeit their last District 21-4A contest, and there’s a possibility that a forfeit could have major ramifications on the final district standings.

“It’s an embarrassing situation having to drop out of our own tournament but the positive is we caught it before we violated any rules,” Barbers Hill athletic director Don Price said. “Our goal is to win district titles and we didn’t want to be in a situation where a forfeit cost us a chance at a district championship.

“We messed up and it’s our responsibility. It’s just unfortunate for the kids.”

Barbers Hill head coach Nathan Toon is who made the schedule, and Price said it was possible that last year’s redistricting played a part in scheduling too many non-district games.

“This year we’re in an eight-team district and last year we were in a six-team district,” Price said. “That means we have four more district games this season than we did a year ago. The coach just overlooked the number of district games we have.”

Price also added that there will not be any disciplinary action against Toon.

“I stopped trying to walk on water a long time ago,” Price said. “One mistake is not the time to bring down the hammer. If it was intentional that would be one thing but it was an honest mistake.”

The Gulf Coast Classic will start next Thursday. Even though the Eagles aren’t in the tournament, they will play a regular season game against Caney Creek after the Barbers Hill girls play their tournament opener.

[/quote]

I love this post Sarge!!!

Former BH player, coach going into Hall
By Doyle Barlow
Baytown Sun
Published May 4, 2007
Pennee Hall has accomplished a lot in her basketball career as a player and coach. Hall, who currently coaches at Livingston, can add another accolade to that list Saturday in Austin when she is inducted into the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame.

“I received a call in December and was told I was going to be inducted,” Hall said. “It was quite a shock.”

It shouldn’t have been. Her numbers at Barbers Hill, first as a player then as a coach, are enough to merit her induction.

As a player at Barbers Hill, she led the 1982 and 1983 teams to state championships and scored 3,587 career points. Hall then went on to play at Louisiana Tech for two years then three more at the University of Texas.

Then in nine years as head coach at Barbers Hill, Hall guided the Lady Eagles to a 282-50 mark, which included the 1997 Class 3A state championship in addition to a 1993 semifinal appearance. Her teams also won nine consecutive unbeaten district titles and went 102-0 against district opponents.

Hall left Barbers Hill to become an assistant at Stephen F. Austin. She departed the Nacogdoches school for Livingston in 2004.

In her playing days, Hall was a point guard, a position that helped her transition to coaching.

“When you’re a point guard, coaches call you their coach on the floor,” Hall said. “It’s just like football. You’re the quarterback.

“But coaching and playing are totally different concepts. I was more in control as a player and as a coach, you just try to give direction. I have had a lot of fun doing both.”

Hall said that winning the state championship as a coach at Barbers Hill is her career highlight — to this point.

“When you can guide a team and do that it’s the ultimate achievement,” she said. “Only five teams in the state can do that each year.”

Hall expects a contingent of around 60 people to be on hand for her induction. Many of those will be family members, but many will also be Mont Belvieu people who have watched her career her whole life.

“I grew up there and was raised there and Barbers Hill really likes its sports,” Hall said. “It will always have a special place in my heart. A lot of those people saw me grow up and go through a lot of different things.”

Those people can now add Saturday’s induction to that list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote name="bh89-2" post="716016" timestamp="1258950436"]
It's always funny how people take part of the truth and spin it to make their own version of the story. 

Barbers Hill district meeting centers on A.D.
By Ken Fountain
Baytown Sun
Published June 7, 2005
MONT BELVIEU – During an unusually crowded meeting of the Barbers Hill school district, several people voiced their strong support for Don Price, head high school football coach and district athletic director.

But when Superintendent Wayne Rotan announced that Price’s job was secure following a lengthy executive session, the C.T. Joseph Conference Center quickly emptied.

Rumors had flown since last week that Price would be dismissed or his duties altered, and the audience was buzzing with excitement as the meeting time approached.

Board president Philip Joines entreated both public speakers and board members to treat each other respectfully.

The first speaker was Bruce Mintz, an attorney for Price, who was not able to attend.

Mintz said he would make a demand that any discussions of Price’s employment be done during an open session or a public meeting.

Laurie Guidry told the board members that “it’s said that the public has to be here because we are afraid that our athletic director’s job is in jeopardy.”

“We don’t think you support our athletic director or the superintendent,” she said. “It’s not your role to check references, or to micromanage (the administration).”

“Get off their backs and let them do their jobs,” she said.

Most of the speakers who followed reiterated Guidry’s support for Price.

“His record speaks for itself. He’s had 40-plus victories, and many, many winning seasons,” said Kenny Robbins.

Susan Fregia, a teacher with the district for 21 years, said that sports” is more than just about winning, and Don Price exemplifies that.”

“He exemplifies the integrity and the honor and the hope that I strive to teach in my classroom,” she said.

Angel Coon said that she was primarily interested in talking about the basketball program, particularly the girls program, which she said had fallen behind after a period of several winning seasons.

“I think the program is at a critical juncture. We need to decide if we’re going to bolster the program, or watch as it withers away before our eyes,” she said.

Coon implored the trustees to “do whatever it takes to put in the right people (to improve the program).”

Former girls basketball coach Angela Gober, who resigned about three weeks ago, said that she appeared to “squelch any rumors about why I left.”

Gober said that unlike rumors that she and Price did not get along, she resigned in order to help her mother, who is in failing health, as she wrote in her resignation letter.

After hearing from all the speakers, the board retired into an executive session that lasted nearly an hour.

When they emerged, the board unanimously approved a number of personnel changes recommended by Rotan, none of which included Price or a new girls basketball coach.

Afterward, Rotan told the audience that he had had discussions with Price about the possibility of creating a new position of girls athletics coordinator, who would directly handle the day-to-day administration of the girls programs.

The person in that position would answer to Price, he said. Rotan said that the district’s size did not justify the creation of a separate athletics director position.

Rotan said that he and Price were also discussing the hiring of a new girls basketball coach.

“I want the same thing everybody in this room does, to have a successful program, Coach Price and I will do whatever it takes to get the best person available,” he said, adding that there were several potential “in-house” candidates.

In response to a question posed by trustee Benny May, Rotan said a decision should me made before the end of the month.

Following the discussion of the athletics program, the next and last item on the agenda was a budget workshop for the next school year. The nearly filled seats of the auditorium quickly emptied.

[/quote]

What's your point?

BH89-2 you can spin all you want, I was there and I know what went down. And it was the outporing of support for Don that totally wrecked the plans of your precious board, for which all we know "you" are a part of.

The deeds been done, no changing it now. Just don't try to spin the events to make yourself feel better. I want things to turn out great for BH just like everyone does. But I will not act like I'm happy with what happened when I'm not. The people on your side of the fence are happy, fine! Just don't expect everyone one to be happy with the way it was handled. You have been in here for the past couple of months spewing your dislike for coach Price, calling him names and just waiting for the day to come. Well it's easy to see that apparently someone tipped you off that it was going down because you've been crowing about it for weeks. Well now you can have your "county wide" B-B-Q that you boasted about a few weeks ago, you got what you wanted.  ENJOY!

[quote name="UgotTRUCKED" post="716043" timestamp="1258953063"]
BH89-2 you can spin all you want, I was there and I know what went down. And it was the of the outporing of support for Don that totally wrecked the plans of your precious board, for which all we know "you" are a part of.

The deeds been done, no changing it now. Just don't try to spin the events to make yourself feel better. I want things to turn out great for BH just like everyone does. But I will not act like I'm happy with what happened when I'm not. The people on your side of the fence are happy, fine! Just don't expect everyone one to be happy with the way it was handled. You have been in here for the past couple of months spewing your dislike for coach Price, calling him names and just waiting for the day to come. Well it's easy to see that apparently someone tipped you off that it was going down because you've been crowing about it for weeks. Well now you can have your "county wide" B-B-Q that you boasted about a few weeks ago, you got what you wanted.  ENJOY!
[/quote]

Go get em Trucked!!! I was there also, they wanted to chop him that night...they just got surprised. Now they got a super that is on their side, so nothing can stop them.

[quote name="bh34" post="716093" timestamp="1258986718"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=62612.msg716082#msg716082 date=1258985116]
I would not be suprised if this costs the Superintendent his job in the long run. 
[/quote]

No, who's gona fire him? The board and he are one.
[/quote]

They are one know - but as soon as the Sup makes the board mad, they will turn on him. As soon as he doesn't want to hire their girls bb coach the back stabbing will begin. A few on the board are vindictive and will manipulate the others like they did to get rid of Coach Price.....And again what do I know - we have a current Sup that got arrested, if he didn't lose his job over that, I'm guessing he's bullet proof.

Guest GCMPats
This whole thing is kinda like watching a NASCAR event. I don't really care who wins or know who's driving what car, but the wrecks are spectacular.

Gotta love small town politics.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kabamok245
    Newest Member
    kabamok245