Lumberton Lady Raiders 14 - Central Lady Jaguars 0

Guest setxgal

Hey Coach W!!!!

Ok, FF...enough already!!! Our girls in this area are having a great run.....unfortunately next week it will end for one of the teams, but go rain on someone else's parade!

We get it already...you THINK the score was off balance..You don't THINK the LUM girls are blah blah whatever...so what!!!! Those of us that KNOW these girls don't really care what YOU THINK!!!!!!

This is a forum, and the debate of IDEAS is open, and all of that, but you don't know jack about these girls and their level of play and heart....LONG LIVE THE FILLIES!!!!! LOVE YA GIRLSĀ  ;)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok let me jump on this for a second , I have kids on my team like Scott Poole who play for the Dallas Texans Houston Division Red 92 (one of the best in the country) and i have some that because of football or travel or wahtever the reason cant find the time to make it to houston for practices/games or for that matter even play club soccer Does that mean they are not on the same level as players that do? I believe the answer is a yes and a no. Yes, maybe becasue they dont get the practice and game time against some of the best players in the state or get to play soccer year round but i believe the answer is No also. No because some of the kids i have coached / played with in the past have just had pure god given ability and given the chance could and would be able to play at that level. So i am sorry but i for one will have to disagree with your statement that just because a kid doesnt play d1 or Super 2 means they are not on that level of play.

I have to have one last word myself.....

ff you say the Lady Raiders ran up the score, which was against a team that probably shouldn't have been in the playoffs in the first place, what do you call what the Friendswood girls team did to the Austin HS team this past week...9 - 0.......that's not running the score up?

Dont expect a response.Ā  He's busy finding a Dallas website that talks about Denton Guyer and their 13-0 win last night so he can spread his wealth of soccer etiquette. Dont you forget, he sets the bar, being from FW, on what running up the score is. Oh wait, let me answer for him.Ā  We're from FW blah, blah, blah; you're from Lumberton blah, blah, blah; 10-0 is different than 14-0 because..............uh i said so, and we're goooood. Sound right?Ā  :P

Coach W, that last statement got me thinking, how many Fillies players are there in the Lumberton, Nederland, PNG, and West Brook teams?

There are quite a few!Ā  Not only from this past year, but prior years on the Fillies. Players like Brook keeper Lauren Lauher. Lauren played a couple of years with us. Great, great young lady. I wish she had stayed with club soccer. But she is devoted to tennis, I believe. But since she likes to play, is on the HS team.

The Fillies players may not have played their seasons at the upper levels of "Select Soccer" competition, but they played agaist many upper level S2 teams and D1 teams in tourneys. Always were competitive, and even knocked off a few D1's over the years. They had the good fortune to be trained locally by some of the best trainers around. Guys like Jorge Cruz, Graham Harrison, and Bryan Arrendale.Ā  The training from those guys is as good as the training at big Houston clubs.

Anyway, here are the local HS players that have worn the Fillies uniform. Forgive me if I leave anyone out!

Westbrook-

Michelle Sladaritz

Bailey Goins

Lauren Lauher

Nederland-

Lauren Washburn

Austin David

PNG-

Breanne Martin

Lumberton-

Katie Barnett

Kaylee Begeman

Haley Corley

Molly James

Meg Johnston

Ashley Mauer

Alex Mitchell

Ashley Norton

Randi Paine

Stephanie Williams

Taryl Hamilton

Also, there are some very good club players that don't play HS soccer because of their basketball duties-

Taylor Sutherland- HJ( An excellent defensive midfielder that could play anywhere on the field)

Hayley Miller- Lumberton (Would be a Super Gold Keeper if not for playing HS basketball.)

Kaila Johnson- Kountze ( Volleyball and basketball)

Brittany Best-Ā  Kountze

Did I miss anyone?

It has been a great ride coaching these young gals. Next year I will be coaching my younger daughters team in BYSC. Mostly Lumberton high school players again in the U-15 to U-19 age group.Ā 

Ā  Coach W

Guest Newbie

Wow Coach W.Ā  That's an impressive list.Ā  I didn't think Kountze has a soccer team though so can't really blame basketball for BB not playing HS soccer.Ā  She's doing well in Albion I believe.Ā  Does the Lumberton coach not allow their players to play another sports?Ā  If your daughter is that good of a GK, I would think it would be on the team's best interest to let her play after she finishes her commitment to basketball.Ā 

Alot of the girls play multiple sports.Ā  It has to be that way.Ā  I think Lumberton is like less than 100 students over the 3a mark. For all sports to have success, they definately must share athletes.Ā  I know Miller played last year.Ā  I know that this year, basketball players didnt get to come to soccer tryouts or practices at all.Ā  I thought they did last year?

Dang, I knew I would forget someone. Sorry Nessa.

Last year the basketball girls were allowed to practice soccer by the bb coach(Wilson). This year, they were not. Hayley ended up having knee surgery in January anyway and could not play soccer even if she had been allowed. Coach Hop was not real big on basketball players coming over to soccer either, though. That is another topic I could talk about for a while. Maybe on another thread!

Good luck to all of the young ladies in Saturdays game! Play hard, play fair, play with class! ( Or suffer the wrath of Crusty the Clown .)

I hope that you ar enot implying that Hopson didnt let girls play both. I know for a fact that he spoke to several girls and he made it clear that he had to at least see them during tryouts to evaluate themĀ  and let them know what they would need to work on for the soccer season. It is unfortunate that the two seasons overlap and it doesnt help matters that we dont have a large number of kids who come out. It is a fight that ends with no winners.

The main problem with players coming over is that they are so far behind where the "team" is. Their chemistry has pretty much been established by the end of basketball so it is pretty hard to break into the rotation. It is also tough to see someone come from one sport and take the spot of spomeone who has been there all year. Not saying it cant or wont happen, it just makes it tough.

You know, my son played soccer for the first time this past fall for HCYS.Ā  He had the time of his life.Ā  He absolutely loved it.Ā  However, I know absolutely NOTHING about what most of you are posting about and honestly, from the sound of it, I really don't want to know.

I can tell say this, however.Ā  14-0 is a very lopsided score.Ā  Sounds like the coach did everything he could to keep from running the score up short of forfeiting the game.Ā  Would that have made this Friendswood person happy?Ā  If the other team didn't show up to play, and the coaches and the girls did everything within their power to NOT run the score up, whose fault is it that it wound up 14-0?Ā 

There are times to be upset, like when that basketball team did NOT try to keep from scoring and spanked their opponent 100-0.Ā  But, if the coaches and the team tried to do other things than run the score, then there's no gripe available to anyone!

Honestly, it's this kind of utter crap that makes me pray that my son doesn't try out for soccer next year or if he does try, he doesn't make it.Ā 

Friendswood, click the power button.Ā  You need a life.

I have to have one last word myself.....

ff you say the Lady Raiders ran up the score, which was against a team that probably shouldn't have been in the playoffs in the first place, what do you call what the Friendswood girls team did to the Austin HS team this past week...9 - 0.......that's not running the score up?

No, 9-0 is not running up a score. If I must point out the obvious, this score is purposely being kept out of the double-digits. Personally, I believe the highest scoring game should be a 10-0 game, but nothing higher.

If I must point out the obvious, Soccerfan is indeed the FW coach.Ā  Hi coach.Ā  Only you could know the score was "intentionally" kept at nine.Ā  I am a bit confused about your past 10 and 11 goal games though.Ā  ???Ā  Here i go with more of the obvious, you say it was kept out of double-digits and then you say a lopsided double digit victory of 10-0 is good enough for you.Ā  Two things i know now.Ā  1: Everyone has their own opinion. and 2: None of them are right nor wrong.Ā  They are just someones own ideas that sometimes shouldnt ooze like vomit from their mouth without thought.Ā  You do realize 10 is a double-digit number?

Ha no actually I'm a Lady Indian fan. If you look at my other posts then you will see that's the "obvious." I am just agreeing with Friendswood and think it is absurd that all of you Raiders fans think 9-0 is running up a score. The reason I know it was intentionally kept under ten is because our girls (png) had their second playoff game at Deer Park as did Friendswood. I arrived at the stadium early enough to catch the end of Friendswoods game in which I saw several of the players purposely shoot the ball away from the goal after the score reached 9-0.

When LP decides that there are no more goals, the FHS girls know that they areto work on posession, overlaps, etc. but to keep shooting -- only not on goal.Ā  Thus, you will see lots of shots through the football goal posts and wide of the frameĀ  Also, lots of crosses that never get reached by a FHS player.Ā  Anyone who actually puts a shot or cross on goal generally gets a seat on the bench.Ā  In general, its a bit less obvious than playing keep away.

Finally, a little common ground.Ā  The two coaches sound more alike now.Ā  There were two girls who sat the bench for taking shots. How many own-goals did the other team have in the FW game?Ā  And i'm sure you read how long the Lady Raiders played keep away and how many times they passed the ball right up to the goal front before backing it out, and worked on crosses using headers only.Ā  And Soccerfan, in other posts, its been said that anything more than 5-0 is running up the score.Ā  This is why i made my statement about opinions.Ā  Keep in mind that it is no more absurd for people to think 9-0 is running up the score than it is for you to come on here and say 11-0 is.Ā  Read above post about opinions.

I hope that you ar enot implying that Hopson didnt let girls play both. I know for a fact that he spoke to several girls and he made it clear that he had to at least see them during tryouts to evaluate themĀ  and let them know what they would need to work on for the soccer season. It is unfortunate that the two seasons overlap and it doesnt help matters that we dont have a large number of kids who come out. It is a fight that ends with no winners.

The main problem with players coming over is that they are so far behind where the "team" is. Their chemistry has pretty much been established by the end of basketball so it is pretty hard to break into the rotation. It is also tough to see someone come from one sport and take the spot of spomeone who has been there all year. Not saying it cant or wont happen, it just makes it tough.

Hey CoachL,Ā  It is like I posted above, the basketball girls at Lumberton were not allowed to attend soccer tryouts or any soccer practices by the basketball coach, til after BB season. In emails to me from Coach Hopson, he stated pretty much what you said above. That in his opinion, the basketball girls would be so far behind learning his system of play, that it would pretty much be a waste of everyones time. I happen to strongly disagree with that opinion.

Espcially when these girls have played the game for 11 years already.

But it is odd that the softball players can attend soccer tryouts and some practice, and contribute GREATLY to the team. Doesn't that disprove the missed practice theory?

My beef is that the coaches are in a power play, and the kids are the ones that are hurt.

Hey fiveoclock,Ā  it would seem that your beef would be with the bb coach.Ā  Thats the only one that i could tell from on here is power playing.Ā  You've said it yourself that Coach Hopson worked it out with sb players and shares with the other coaches.Ā  And i can tell from the "pretty much" phrases that you have inserted your own words based on, what seems to be, sour grapes into his so called emails to you.Ā  And in case you didnt know it, the sb players go to every practice.Ā  Coach Hopson lets them come to soccer practice after sb practice.Ā  Sorry you're bitter, but i dont believe for 1 second he said the things the way you reported.Ā  I have heard him tell players, just like CoachL said, that it is not impossible to be a varsity soccer player after basketball is over, but it will be difficult.Ā  As a matter of fact, there will probably be several bb players playing varsity soccer at some point next year.

Hey fiveoclock,Ā  it would seem that your beef would be with the bb coach.Ā  Thats the only one that i could tell from on here is power playing.Ā  You've said it yourself that Coach Hopson worked it out with sb players and shares with the other coaches.Ā  And i can tell from the "pretty much" phrases that you have inserted your own words based on, what seems to be, sour grapes into his so called emails to you.Ā  And in case you didnt know it, the sb players go to every practice.Ā  Coach Hopson lets them come to soccer practice after sb practice.Ā  Sorry you're bitter, but i dont believe for 1 second he said the things the way you reported.Ā  I have heard him tell players, just like CoachL said, that it is not impossible to be a varsity soccer player after basketball is over, but it will be difficult.Ā  As a matter of fact, there will probably be several bb players playing varsity soccer at some point next year.

Dogbone, (whoever you are) call me and I will share the exact wording of the email. You have no idea what you are commenting on.Ā  There has been a power play in Lumberton HS between the girls basketball and soccer programs for a few years. At least since Laurie abbo and Brittany Holmes quit basketball as Freshman to play soccer. There has not been much evidence of either side "working it out".

And no, the softball players do not attend every practice, according to what they tell me.

Ā  All a person(parent, student, coach) has to do is look at the written athletic guidelines. It is clear a kid can play in two sports as long as the 2nd sport doesn't interfere with the practice or games of the 1st sport.

Ā  I obviously don't know what was said or not, but for ANY coach to discourage a kid from playing any sport is just WRONG. These kids get to go through HS once. I'd like to think that didn't happen.

Ā  I coach the the boys basketball and have a pretty good freshman kid who also played soccer. He even ended up playing varsity soccer as a freshman. That is because the kid works hard and is a competitor.

Ā  Kids can be very successful in multiple sports. Happens all the time. Just look at Jeremy Garza a couple years ago. He was a very good football,basketball, soccer player and ran track.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raza012
    Newest Member
    Raza012