Concerned WO-S Parents To Gather Over Bus Decision Tue!

kogt.com

A group of concerned WOS Mustang parents and citizens are getting together to discuss the school boards decision to cancel bus transportation for athletes following practices and games.  The meeting will be Tuesday, Jan. 13 at 7pm at Dallas Insurance on 16th St.  Organizer Skip Moore said the school board voted in December to eliminate busing students home for financial reasons but they also said they would take another look at the decision they made in January after numerous complaints.  So Moore wants input so that they'll be prepared for the next board meeting which is scheduled for Jan. 20.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty ridiculous if you ask me... the school has no problem sucking up the cash from ticket and concession sales, but won't pay for the kids' transportation?

No school district has transportation for the kids after practice or games.

If districts did do it, dont you think more kids would come out?

pretty ridiculous if you ask me... the school has no problem sucking up the cash from ticket and concession sales, but won't pay for the kids' transportation?

last time i checked ....BISD  runs buses for students in extra-curr activities year round....and take home buses after games...

WOS and Newton do/did!!!!!

I saw a WOS school bus dropping kids off at Bear Academy daycare across from the LCJH today. I thought that was odd.

That could be from Head Start. Anyone in the County can attend Head Start at WOS and then we take them home!!!

Why can't the parents care for the safety of their own children, if it saves the district money?

these schools care for the safty of there kids.

Maybe they can or maybe they can't. Maybe they don't want to. Maybe they are at work. Either way, should the kid have to find a ride regardless of the reason a parent can't/won't pick them up?

I know for sure that the Klien school district runs an activity bus for all extra curricular activities, as well as Alief and Newton.  Im not sure about any other districts, but I have not really researched this.

Unfortunately this is going to come down to affordability for the district.  WOS has been struggling financially in the resent past and parent (or the WOS community) has to find a way to convey to the board and Superintendent that this is worth continuing and holds a value.

I'm not sure of the tax base and financial status of the districts mentioned above, but it must be pretty good.  Both of the above mentioned Houston areas ISD's have 4 large high schools apiece.

Klein ISD 41,800 students!                                                     Alief ISD

Klein High                                                                                          Alief Hastings

Klein Collins                                                                                       Alief Elsiks

Klein Forest                                                                                       Alief Kerr

Klein Oak                                                                                          Alief Taylor

Newton is "Newton"

There are so many ways to save money in our district. Most of them would be very difficult situations just as this one is. But I would think it's the responsibility of the school board to make difficult decisions and not just continue with what has been done. There is fat in everything. I'm sure if I looked I would find places to save money in my business. I just think there are other places to save that don't affect/effect the kids as much.

Irregardless of the excuse, it's still the parents responsibility.  Since when is it now the district's responsibility?  Exactly at what point in time did the parent's lose the responsibility, and it moved to the school district? 

Then you have to come full circle and ask these parents: what else are you willing to give up to the school district.  It's always easy to say "I don't have the time or care," but there are always consequences.

Why can't the parents care for the safety of their own children, if it saves the district money?

these schools care for the safty of there kids.

Maybe they can or maybe they can't. Maybe they don't want to. Maybe they are at work. Either way, should the kid have to find a ride regardless of the reason a parent can't/won't pick them up?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder