Concerned WO-S Parents To Gather Over Bus Decision Tue!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will get ugly if they TAKS thing goes thru.....

You are so right, Chad, it will get ugly. I know of no local school district that requires a student to pass TAKS to participate in extra-curricular activities. My wife is a school teacher of twenty years and she does not know of any local school that does that.

One opinion about that requirement was that it was unconstitutional.

I have a prediction, the talent and enrollment of LCM is fixing to go WAY up!!

They don't bus over there either.

I was not intending that statement as a result of the busing, but as a result of the taks issue!  I GAURANTEE you can't find five school districts in the entire state that have this requirement! 

I was not intending that statement as a result of the busing, but as a result of the taks issue!  I GAURANTEE you can't find five school districts in the entire state that have this requirement! 

I don't think you can find one. Someone looked into it and unless they are wrong it's unconstitutional.

As I understand the TAKS issue, it's only one person thinking like that. Unless he has some supporters and ZI guess we will see tonight.

I don't think you can find one. Someone looked into it and unless they are wrong it's unconstitutional.

Unconstitutional to set school policy?

The TAKS issue is a diversionary tactic!  ;D  By the time the meeting is over tonight the people will be SO relieved that the board "gave in" and didn't set the new TAKS issue into place that they won't be as concerned about the buses not running!  ;D 

I'm only passing along information. That was the opinion. We didn't just get the information from a guy off the street either. Some policies are made by people that are in higher positions than the school board.

The TAKS issue is a diversionary tactic!   ;D  By the time the meeting is over tonight the people will be SO relieved that the board "gave in" and didn't set the new TAKS issue into place that they won't be as concerned about the buses not running!   ;D 

Slam, why don't I come pick you up and you can help us support the buses. I promise you the TAKS issue is a non issue.  Then I will come help you protest the new coach if you don't like him!  ;D Don't forget I attended my first LCM football game last year. On the home side that is.  ;)

TD,i dont live in the city limits of orange out in  LC can i still come and show my support for the kids safty there in west orange stark

It's an open meeting and anyone can come. No one will ask you where you are from and we would love to have you. I will be in and out. I have things to do with my kids so as soon as it's over I will be gone. Maybe we will meet. I will be the good looking guy there.  ;D

I'm only passing along information. That was the opinion. We didn't just get the information from a guy off the street either. Some policies are made by people that are in higher positions than the school board.

TD,

I've googled all morning and cannot find anywhere that states anything unconstitutional about TAKS testing and UIL competition. I know people think this is a non-issue, but why would the board bring this up if not serious? Are they that ignorant to know it would add insult to injury after the buss ordeal?

TD,

I've googled all morning and cannot find anywhere that states anything unconstitutional about TAKS testing and UIL competition. I know people think this is a non-issue, but why would the board bring this up if not serious? Are they that ignorant to know it would add insult to injury after the buss ordeal?

It was an idea that came from a board member. An email was sent to the Super and other board members making the TAKS statement. This is the same guy that stated in the last board meeting, that "maybe we should just do away with athletics completely at WOS". The guy said this in a room full of people that were there to support athletics. Why? I wish I knew. Why the email? I wish I knew. Maybe the guy used unconstitutional as a figure of speech. I'm not real sure. I took it for what I was told. I really think it's a non issue. All I know is the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If your squeaking then you better make sure your "house" is in order. I'm not real sure what are why all of this is taking place. I know our budget is over 23 million and we have spent more than $25000 worth of time on this subject.  ;)

TD,

It was an idea that came from a board member. An email was sent to the Super and other board members making the TAKS statement. This is the same guy that stated in the last board meeting, that "maybe we should just do away with athletics completely at WOS". The guy said this in a room full of people that were there to support athletics. Why? I wish I knew. Why the email? I wish I knew. Maybe the guy used unconstitutional as a figure of speech. I'm not real sure. I took it for what I was told. I really think it's a non issue. All I know is the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If your squeaking then you better make sure your "house" is in order. I'm not real sure what are why all of this is taking place. I know our budget is over 23 million and we have spent more than $25000 worth of time on this subject.  ;)

Good Luck my friend! Coaching my sons basketball team tonight or I would be there!  Hopefully the media and everyone in WO-S will be there to support the kids.

WO-C board will review busing for athletes

By MARGARET TOAL

January, 19, 2009

A citizens group is expected to appear before the West Orange-Cove school board Tuesday night to ask the district to reinstate after-school busing for middle school and high school athletes.

The board has scheduled a special meeting at 6 p.m. in the administration building, 505 N. 15th St. in Orange.

In addition, the board will discuss making students pass TAKS exams in order to participate in extracurricular activities like sports, band and drama.

Skip Moore has helped organize the West Orange-Stark Athletic Association to try to get the board to reverse its November decision to cut out the special busing. The district has provided bus rides home to many middle school and high school athletes after practices and games beginning in 1977 when Lutcher Stark and West Orange high schools combined, said WO-C Athletic Director Dan Hooks.

The board voted to cut out the busing service to save money and it stopped when the spring semester started in January.

Moore said he and others in the district are concerned for the safety of students having to walk long distances home in the dark.

The title of the article says it all.  It should state WOC Board to review bussing for Extra Curricular Activities not just athletes.  It has to be in place for all activities or none.  If it is not didtrict policy to bus for all activities then it should come down to if athletics wants to use part of it's budget to do so.

WO-C board will review busing for athletes

By MARGARET TOAL

January, 19, 2009

A citizens group is expected to appear before the West Orange-Cove school board Tuesday night to ask the district to reinstate after-school busing for middle school and high school athletes.

The board has scheduled a special meeting at 6 p.m. in the administration building, 505 N. 15th St. in Orange.

In addition, the board will discuss making students pass TAKS exams in order to participate in extracurricular activities like sports, band and drama.

Skip Moore has helped organize the West Orange-Stark Athletic Association to try to get the board to reverse its November decision to cut out the special busing. The district has provided bus rides home to many middle school and high school athletes after practices and games beginning in 1977 when Lutcher Stark and West Orange high schools combined, said WO-C Athletic Director Dan Hooks.

The board voted to cut out the busing service to save money and it stopped when the spring semester started in January.

Moore said he and others in the district are concerned for the safety of students having to walk long distances home in the dark.

The title of the article says it all.  It should state WOC Board to review bussing for Extra Curricular Activities not just athletes.  It has to be in place for all activities or none.  If it is not didtrict policy to bus for all activities then it should come down to if athletics wants to use part of it's budget to do so.

Using your thought process, the media is the gospel truth. Did it ever enter your mind that they either used that to get a reaction or interest or that they just don't know what they are talking about? It's not just athletes that are bussed for the 1000th time.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83