Concerned WO-S Parents To Gather Over Bus Decision Tue!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the genius who stated that parents should step up and be responsible, I have to ask if you came to that conclusion all by yourself?  This problem is a national problem. 

I have read all of these comments and keep thinking...duh, like we don't know that many of these kids'  parents are not active because they just don't care.  So, I am to ASSume that the solution is to make teenagers (most who are not old enough to drive) pay the price for their parents' not picking them up?  That is so absurd...I suppose those who believe that also believe that children who have serious healthcare issues that overwhelm their parents (whether insured/underinsured/uninsured) should pay the price by not being treated due to inability to afford the treatments needed.  Maybe one of their parents was addicted to a drug (alcohol, cocaine, crack, methamphetamine, etc.)...since that parent obvious did not care enough for their child to stop using the drug of choice, how about we just don't treat that child's ailments.

I know that some of you may find this hard to believe, but there are actually some parents in the world who really don't have anyone to help them or maybe everyone that they know just can't take up that slack.  Hard to believe, but it's true!  Really!

I take kids home all the time and I have for 7 or 8 years now (probably even longer), but I will also tell you that in 2005-2007, I attended school during the day and worked until midnight every night and my kids would have been unable to participate in any UIL events had it not been for transportation.  Judge me on that...in fact, judge parents who don't have a car, or work in the afternoons/evenings, and while you're judging them, hope and pray that your particular situation doesn't change for the worse placing you in one of these situations.  If you are fortunate enough to not have these problems...count your blessings. 

Football and academics are attached at the hip, as our superintendent said at the December board meeting.  My sons would not have been the respectable, disciplined young men that they are today if it weren't for benefiting from a busing system that enabled them to be involved in sports.  My oldest, who attends A&M, would not have been the well-rounded young man that he is and would not have gotten the scholarships that he got if it weren't for his athletic career  rounding out his academic career.  Trust me.

The point is, WO-S is not Vidor, BC, OF, LCM or any other school for that matter.  And, guess what, I know that most of us Mustangs are okay with that, but we also understand that we differ from other local school districts in more ways that providing transportation.  I can tell you that PA schools, Beaumont schools, Cypress school district (a wealthy district outside of Houston) and many other school districts in the state of Texas do provide their UIL participants with transportation.

It is a safety issue.  I can tell you that on December 18, 2008 after my youngest son's basketball game, my oldest son called me to tell me that there was another Stallion student who was walking across the MacArthur bridge and it was during the spell when we had the fog. My son asked me to come and pick him up because he wouldn't get into the car with him and he might get in the car with my youngest son since he knew him.  I had to drive 15 mph with the flashers on and my windows down to even see this kid in the fog.  For anyone familiar with this stretch of street, the city just installed flashing lights (not yet activated) due to all of the MVA/pedestrian/bicyclist accidents that have resulted in ADULTS dying.  Responsible, of-age adults who were attempting to cross the street or even on the shoulder...KILLED!  I don't want to see this happen to somebody's child who did absolutely nothing wrong except want to be involved in an extracurricular even and have parents (for whatever reason) who could not or would not pick them up.  What happened to IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD?  I can tell you that this parent/villager will do her part to ensure that I do unto your child as I would have them do unto mine.

I am curious - How many school districts in this area provide this transportation?  I know Vidor does not.  I will admit that when my boys were younger it was quite a challenge to make sure that they had a way to get home from practice and/or games.  We had to be creative at times - i.e. carpooling.  IMO you can find a way if you want to. 

Couple of things... yes, it can be challenging, but all of the creativity in the world doesn't provide many parents with vehicles or time or a day-time job or even the WANT TO to pick up your kid(s).  I have had as much want-to as you or any other parent, but for almost a year, I didn't have a car.  For two years, I went to school from 8-4 and went directly to work until midnight, and I do not have any family to help.  So, again, count your blessings that you are an oh-so-fortunate soccermom  because not everyone can be you. 

Guest jackbquick

I am curious - How many school districts in this area provide this transportation?  I know Vidor does not.  I will admit that when my boys were younger it was quite a challenge to make sure that they had a way to get home from practice and/or games.  We had to be creative at times - i.e. carpooling.  IMO you can find a way if you want to. 

Couple of things... yes, it can be challenging, but all of the creativity in the world doesn't provide many parents with vehicles or time or a day-time job or even the WANT TO to pick up your kid(s).  I have had as much want-to as you or any other parent, but for almost a year, I didn't have a car.  For two years, I went to school from 8-4 and went directly to work until midnight, and I do not have any family to help.  So, again, count your blessings that you are an oh-so-fortunate soccermom  because not everyone can be you. 

I dont think soccermom was trying to attack you or anyone else, but I was a child that had parents that worked all the time it seemed and i always found ways to and from practice. I do wish they had transportation for extra-curricular activities as it would probably help out alot of people, but guess what life is not fair, and sometimes school districts as well as businesses have to try and figure out ways to keep their business or district from going under and sometimes those are tough decisions that affect alot of peoples lives but people that want to will overcome and adjust. Not trying to be negative just real. 

Posted by Stang4life:

To the genius who stated that parents should step up and be responsible, I have to ask if you came to that conclusion all by yourself?  This problem is a national problem. 

After reading your post on both WO-S threads, you seem to have the "poor me" attitude. If the school board cannot afford public transportation, it will be left to the parents. That's a fact you cant argue. I posted a message a few months ago.....after my divorce, quit a job that required nights and got a day job Mon - Fri with a serious enough paycut to have to sell my house. The benefit is I have 1/2 custody of my child and I'm off when hes not in school. We can't do as much financially, but we got each other. I'm not super dad, have made my mistakes, but at least I know what is important....taking care of my kid!

There are a lot of national problems, rape, robbery, murder, etc.... We don't have to let them effect our communities. I agree and respect several WO-S posters, they all seem like great people.  My son plays youth football and WO-S has some great athlete's. The parents that have the issues with the transportation needs to make some noise at the schoolboard. Its going to take more than 20 people.

After reading your post on both WO-S threads, you seem to have the "poor me" attitude. If the school board cannot afford public transportation, it will be left to the parents. That's a fact you cant argue. I posted a message a few months ago.....after my divorce, quit a job that required nights and got a day job Mon - Fri with a serious enough paycut to have to sell my house. The benefit is I have 1/2 custody of my child and I'm off when hes not in school. We can't do as much financially, but we got each other. I'm not super dad, have made my mistakes, but at least I know what is important....taking care of my kid!

You see, that is why WO-S is so different and that is what many of the WO-S posters have been trying to say.  You just proved the point.  Many of the parents could care less about their kids.  Why punish the kids because of this?

You see, that is why WO-S is so different and that is what many of the WO-S posters have been trying to say.  You just proved the point.  Many of the parents could care less about their kids.  Why punish the kids because of this?

I didn't prove a point, I stated the facts. I never mentioned punishing the kids. However, since you bring it up; If the parents are really that bad, don't you think you have a bigger issue than football? If I had to choose between parenting my kid and making sure he gets a ride to practice.......well, the answer is obvious.

I go back to my last post........get more than 20 people at the next meeting.  If they can't find a ride with this much notice........well, that's a different subject.

???

Posted by Stang4life:

There are a lot of national problems, rape, robbery, murder, etc.... We don't have to let them effect our communities. I agree and respect several WO-S posters, they all seem like great people.  My son plays youth football and WO-S has some great athlete's. The parents that have the issues with the transportation needs to make some noise at the schoolboard. Its going to take more than 20 people.

Mr. Chippy,

You'll have to find someone else to throw that title on because I'm far from the "poor me"-type.  My point is transportation is vital to many whose parents aren't there for whatever reason to get their kids for whatever reason.  I can tell you that my kids probably wouldn't have been able to been active in any UIL events that they were involved in if it had not been for transportation at certain points in their school years.  Honey, there is nothing pitiful about me or anything that has happened.  I am just stating the facts and in a perfect world, all parents would be involved in their kids' lives more.  Kudos to you for doing what you had to do as a parents and feel fortunate that you were able to do those things because some people just cannot do it or will not do it.  No pity expected or accepted.  ;)  Nice try though!!! ;) ;)

Posted by Stang4life:

Mr. Chippy,

You'll have to find someone else to throw that title on because I'm far from the "poor me"-type.  My point is transportation is vital to many whose parents aren't there for whatever reason to get their kids for whatever reason.  I can tell you that my kids probably wouldn't have been able to been active in any UIL events that they were involved in if it had not been for transportation at certain points in their school years.  Honey, there is nothing pitiful about me or anything that has happened.  I am just stating the facts and in a perfect world, all parents would be involved in their kids' lives more.  Kudos to you for doing what you had to do as a parents and feel fortunate that you were able to do those things because some people just cannot do it or will not do it.  No pity expected or accepted.   ;)  Nice try though!!! ;) ;)

Mrs. Stang,

You may have missed my point. All parents must set priorities as to what is important to them. Everyone seems to be upset with the school board for taking away a program that is not a requirement of the school. They do not have to transport kids to and from optional events. While I do think it is a worthwile program, it is not required, nor should it be expected from the school.  What should be expected is the parents is to be involved in their child's life. I'm not asking the parents to do anything I have not done or the majority of most parents have not done.

To just say "its a nation problem" and expect the school district to continue to do something they say they cannot afford is not solving any problem. If the root cause is the parents, then some energy should be spent trying to fix that issue.  I applaud you for bringing kids home and taking up the slack of some parents, but is that really your responsibility? I know I have a hard enough time taking care of my one child.

So, I will say again, Good Luck at the next meeting, I hope the entire town shows up. I hope the bus program continues to run for the sake of the kids. I also hope this is a wake up call and that something can be done to get parents more involved with their children!

P.S. Mrs. Stang you sound like a strong women and a responsible mother!

No, I did not miss your point, but if someone could devise a way to FORCE parents to be parents, then they need to let everyone know because it is a well-kept secret.  If there was a way to make parents be responsible without a child suffering the consequences, then I am all for it.  These kids (whose parents don't care) suffer enough and I think that it says a lot that they at least try to be involved in something extracurricular.

While it is not mandated, it will affect some kids who try really hard to make their way in life on the right path.  Maybe not an entire team, but if five kids at all levels of UIL events cannot secure transportation from games and practices...any school district has lost much more than $25,000 or athletes or academic students.  It's almost a no-win situation because either way...it will cost.  I just think that it is not fair to a child who may defy the odds to try to participate in any UIL program that might eventually lead him/her to a diploma and possibly an education at the next level because their parents don't care enough or can't provide something that seems so simply and taken for granted by many of us...transportation.

And, while it may not be mine or anyone else's direct responsibility to take kids home...I live by the idea that:  if it were my child who needed anything to keep him on the right path, I pray to God that someone will do the right thing to help them out.  So far, I can truly say that I have been very fortunate.  That's all I'm saying.  It's really about KARMA...      It seems that the old addage, "It takes a village to raise a child" has been replaced with "that's not my responsibility.  I have my own to take care of without taking care of someone else's." 

I have stayed away from this but the one point I want to make is this....

Maybe this program is a way for athletes to be a part of kids lives when parents are not. I know other schools do not do this program and since the new info has been given from the coaches I am still torn on which side of the fence I sit but I will always want the best for the Mustang players and what helps them succeed in every aspect of their lives. That is what the board needs to look at and only decide on which side they truly feel is best for all the kids.

No, I did not miss your point, but if someone could devise a way to FORCE parents to be parents, then they need to let everyone know because it is a well-kept secret.  If there was a way to make parents be responsible without a child suffering the consequences, then I am all for it.  These kids (whose parents don't care) suffer enough and I think that it says a lot that they at least try to be involved in something extracurricular.

While it is not mandated, it will affect some kids who try really hard to make their way in life on the right path.  Maybe not an entire team, but if five kids at all levels of UIL events cannot secure transportation from games and practices...any school district has lost much more than $25,000 or athletes or academic students.  It's almost a no-win situation because either way...it will cost.  I just think that it is not fair to a child who may defy the odds to try to participate in any UIL program that might eventually lead him/her to a diploma and possibly an education at the next level because their parents don't care enough or can't provide something that seems so simply and taken for granted by many of us...transportation.

And, while it may not be mine or anyone else's direct responsibility to take kids home...I live by the idea that:  if it were my child who needed anything to keep him on the right path, I pray to God that someone will do the right thing to help them out.  So far, I can truly say that I have been very fortunate.  That's all I'm saying.  It's really about KARMA...      It seems that the old addage, "It takes a village to raise a child" has been replaced with "that's not my responsibility.   I have my own to take care of without taking care of someone else's." 

Maybe this program is a way for athletes to be a part of kids lives when parents are not. I know other schools do not do this program and since the new info has been given from the coaches I am still torn on which side of the fence I sit but I will always want the best for the Mustang players and what helps them succeed in every aspect of their lives. That is what the board needs to look at and only decide on which side they truly feel is best for all the kids.

It takes a concerned parent to raise a child!  The parent has to do their JOB! If they can't, then they shouldn't be parents! The old addage I go by is "take care of your kid"! That's how I feel about that subject.

Now,back to the subject of the buses...........It would be a great program if they can approve it and afford it. I REALLY hope they keep them running!  If they can't, maybe, just maybe someone should try to get the parents involved.

Very well said. I agree with you. The kids should not suffer and if it keeps a few on the straight and narrow its worth every penny. I just wish tax payers didn't have to pay for parents that don't care.

Very well said. I agree with you. The kids should not suffer and if it keeps a few on the straight and narrow its worth every penny. I just wish tax payers didn't have to pay for parents that don't care.

Taxpayers have been paying for parents that don't care for a very long time. This is the local level it's done on the state and national level as well/ If there were a way to make them responsible I would be all for that.

You know, I have mixed emotions on this question....$25,000 is almost enough to hire a new 3rd grade teacher or a reading teacher, or a physics teacher...On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with taking a kid home after practice.... Does this transportation also extend to band kids? C/X Debate kids? Kids who stayed late working on an Art Club project? Transportation on Saturday after a kid get in from a UIL Academic meet? Does it carry kids home after they work on a community NHS project?

You know, I have mixed emotions on this question....$25,000 is almost enough to hire a new 3rd grade teacher or a reading teacher, or a physics teacher...On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with taking a kid home after practice.... Does this transportation also extend to band kids? C/X Debate kids? Kids who stayed late working on an Art Club project? Transportation on Saturday after a kid get in from a UIL Academic meet? Does it carry kids home after they work on a community NHS project?

My guess would be no.

If it is no for the non-athletic programs, then transportation for student-athletes needs to go....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder