Concerned WO-S Parents To Gather Over Bus Decision Tue!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irregardless of the excuse, it's still the parents responsibility.Ā  Since when is it now the district's responsibility?Ā  Exactly at what point in time did the parent's lose the responsibility, and it moved to the school district?Ā 

Then you have to come full circle and ask these parents: what else are you willing to give up to the school district.Ā  It's always easy to say "I don't have the time or care," but there are always consequences.

I actually agree with what you are saying. The only difference is, I'm not willing to punish a kid for an irresponsible parent. This isn't something new at WOS. It's something they want to take away. Either way you are welcome to your opinion and I have mine. I personally will never need the bus to take my kids anywhere.

Why can't the parents care for the safety of their own children, if it saves the district money?

these schools care for the safty of there kids.

Maybe they can or maybe they can't. Maybe they don't want to. Maybe they are at work. Either way, should the kid have to find a ride regardless of the reason a parent can't/won't pick them up?

$1.oo bus ride i told u how it can be done so do it.PS what do u tell a singel parent that hasĀ  NO WAY to pick up her child to go fly a kite we dont care

your child can walk home in the dark its only 10 miles

Surely you don't REALLY think it's a matter of just "taking" a $1.00 at a time from some other place, event, of function?

add this up. take one doller from each ticket sold on the home side of football ,basketball, baseball ,softballĀ  and see what you come up with at the end that might help dont u think PS not even sure that would work.PSĀ  why did the tickets jump from five dollers to six just askingĀ  ,where did that extra doller go to, just asking

I never needed a bus.Ā  My child never needed a bus.Ā  Park the buses and save some money.Ā  Where is it written in the heavens that students are guaranteed a bus ride?Ā  It may be a benefit but surely not a right.

dont run no buses all allĀ  ,park them let the parents get them to school and then lets see how that pans out

add this up. take one doller from each ticket sold on the home side of football ,basketball, baseball ,softballĀ  and see what you come up with at the end that might help dont u think PS not even sure that would work.PSĀ  why did the tickets jump from five dollers to six just askingĀ  ,where did that extra doller go to, just asking

I can add and subtract fairly well, but I also understand the concept of robbing Peter to pay Paul.Ā 

Don't you think that the gate money is already appropriated to go somewhere?Ā  If I take part of my insurance premium money and pay my "NEW" annexation taxes don't you think td will miss that money?Ā  I'm sure the gate proceeds go to the athletic fund.Ā  So all of those "one dollar" subtractions are already in the athletic kitty.

(Excluding the LCM game which splits the gate...you can take a dollar from the visitor side too if you think it will help.)Ā  ;)

Ā  I actually think the board may be right here, but that's just my opinion.Ā  My point is that you better have something more than just a distain for change if you want to get the school district to reconsider.Ā 

I can add and subtract fairly well, but I also understand the concept of robbing Peter to pay Paul.Ā 

Don't you think that the gate money is already appropriated to go somewhere?Ā  If I take part of my insurance premium money and pay my "NEW" annexation taxes don't you think td will miss that money?Ā  I'm sure the gate proceeds go to the athletic fund.Ā  So all of those "one dollar" subtractions are already in the athletic kitty.

(Excluding the LCM game which splits the gate...you can take a dollar from the visitor side too if you think it will help.)Ā  Ā ;)

Ā  I actually think the board may be right here, but that's just my opinion.Ā  My point is that you better have something more than just a distain for change if you want to get the school district to reconsider.Ā 

Hey now let's not get crazy here. Let's leave the insurance premiums out of the equation!Ā  ;D

Irregardless of the excuse, it's still the parents responsibility.Ā  Since when is it now the district's responsibility?Ā  Exactly at what point in time did the parent's lose the responsibility, and it moved to the school district?Ā 

Then you have to come full circle and ask these parents: what else are you willing to give up to the school district.Ā  It's always easy to say "I don't have the time or care," but there are always consequences.

Why can't the parents care for the safety of their own children, if it saves the district money?

these schools care for the safty of there kids.

Maybe they can or maybe they can't. Maybe they don't want to. Maybe they are at work. Either way, should the kid have to find a ride regardless of the reason a parent can't/won't pick them up?

I'm all for the buses.Ā  Being 26 I can remember how many teammates that needed the buses.Ā  I know that extracurricular activities are a reward to those that make the grades and a privilege.Ā  Its also a business.Ā  Football at WOS generates money.Ā  It also allows other parts of the school to make money.Ā  For instance, cheerleaders, drill team, or student council.Ā  All of these groups sell stuff or fund-raise at games.Ā  Selling shirts and programs and food contribute to many programs.Ā  I'm all for people raising their kids and providing for them, but in this district its not always possible.Ā  This school has been going downhill for a while.Ā  This will ruin our athletic program from top to bottom, and I'll tell my kids that "I went to West Orange.Ā  It used to be the other school in town."Ā  "I loved it there, and we used to have a pretty good football team too."

I remember in 7-8th grade coaches made sure that you rode the bus.Ā  Lots of guys lived close to the school and would walk there in the mornings, but during basketball season its dark at 5.Ā  They wouldn't let them walk home because its not safe for 12-14 yr. old boys to walk home.Ā 

I never needed a bus.Ā  My child never needed a bus.Ā  Park the buses and save some money.Ā  Where is it written in the heavens that students are guaranteed a bus ride?Ā  It may be a benefit but surely not a right.

I totally agree. I have said this before, but where are the parents in this equation?? The "cant's" or "wont's" do not fly with me. During football season, I dedicate 4 days per week to get my Son to practices and games. Sometimes it can be a challenge, but I make it happen.

Having a bus program is a great idea, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I think we all want something we can't afford.........but we live within our means.

A parents #1 priority is keeping their children safe. The schools #1 priority is providing a "QUALITY" education while in a safe environment, NOT providing transportation to and from school for after school programs.

Good luck with the bus program, I hope you get it back, If you don't, I hope the parents step up, get involved and take care of their children.

I totally agree. I have said this before, but where are the parents in this equation?? The "cant's" or "wont's" do not fly with me. During football season, I dedicate 4 days per week to get my Son to practices and games. Sometimes it can be a challenge, but I make it happen.

Having a bus program is a great idea, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I think we all want something we can't afford.........but we live within our means.

A parents #1 priority is keeping their children safe. The schools #1 priority is providing a "QUALITY" education while in a safe environment, NOT providing transportation to and from school for after school programs.

Good luck with the bus program, I hope you get it back, If you don't, I hope the parents step up, get involved and take care of their children.

You finally said something I can agree with. If we don't get it back I hope the parents find a way to get their kids back and forth.

I also agree that the schools #1 priority is education. Look at our TAKS scores and then you can give our administrators a grade for how they have done with their #1 priority. I'm not sure how they think we will get different results by doing the same thing with the same people running the schools.

The school bus is a great idea.............I just do it the old fashion way and bring them to functions myselfĀ  Ā  Ā  :-\

Congratulations to you. I do the same thing. Not everyone can do that.

Can't or wont??

People are amazing.......they can do anything they want to do. It does not matter what city they live in. I truly believe that!

You finally said something I can agree with. If we don't get it back I hope the parents find a way to get their kids back and forth.

I also agree that the schools #1 priority is education. Look at our TAKS scores and then you can give our administrators a grade for how they have done with their #1 priority. I'm not sure how they think we will get different results by doing the same thing with the same people running the schools.

I'm glad I have finally got your appoval...... ;D

TD, I'm not trying to bash WO-S.Ā  Just trying to live in reality. I have not looked at the TAKS scores, but if they are not up to par, then something should be done. I also agree, the same actions will equal the same results.

I'm glad I have finally got your appoval...... ;D

TD, I'm not trying to bash WO-S.Ā  Just trying to live in reality. I have not looked at the TAKS scores, but if they are not up to par, then something should be done. I also agree, the same actions will equal the same results.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.Ā  ;)

I noticed in the paper that only about 20 people showed up for the meeting, that does'nt seem like this is getting alot of support from parents thats not many folks. Good luck hope it works out.

77, Tune in to channel 4, 6, or 12 when WOCCISD has their next board meeting and you will see just how many people in the community are getting involved. Ā I can ASSURE you that it will be 4 or 5 times more than 20! Ā It is ashame that all this has happened, but it may be a wake up call to our community on the shady things that have been happening. Ā I can PROMISE you that we will not go away until their is some type of action taken on some of these matters. Ā 

Concerned citizens meet to discuss transportation cuts at WO-C

Tommy Mann, Jr.

The Orange Leader

ORANGE Ć¢ā‚¬ā€ A recent decision by the West Orange-Cove Consolidated Independent School District to cease transportation for students following extra-curricular events is not sitting well with a growing number of people.

Approximately 20 individuals, mostly concerned parents and citizens, along with a number of coaches of various sports in the West Orange-Cove school district, attended an informational meeting Tuesday night at Dallas Insurance Agency in Orange to learn more about the situation.

At the Nov. 24, 2008 West Orange-Cove CISD school board meeting, the Board of Trustees voted 6 to 1 to slash transportation costs by cutting the long standing district tradition of providing after hours school bus transportation for students.

The move will affect all after hours school events where students ride the bus home, whether it is UIL related events such as choir, band, and academic events, not just sports.

The move is expected to save the district thousands of dollars each school year. The figure varies from more than $25,000 per year, according to information provided by Laidlaw Transportation via the school district, to a little over $9,000 per year, according to information provided by the athletics department.

However, Dan Hooks, the athletic director for West Orange-Cove CISD, and other coaches, along with a number of parents, attended a December school board meeting and addressed board members about the issue.

The school board agreed to discuss and possibly reconsider the motion at a meeting in January.

TuesdayĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s meeting was arranged by a long-time West Orange-Stark Mustang supporter, parent and district tax payer, Skip Moore.

Moore said he spoke with Dan Hooks, West Orange-Cove CISD athletic director, in early December after learning about the boardĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s decision to cut student transportation following extra-curricular events.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Blue is in my blood, and my blue blood is boiling,Ć¢ā‚¬ Moore said to the people in attendance. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢m a concerned person who wants to know why they are doing this. We need to gather our information and meet with the board at the next meeting, and, hopefully, we can change their minds.Ć¢ā‚¬

Moore said the group wants to know how many students would not be able to participate in sports due to this cutback. He was also concerned how many students would either move to another district or quit school altogether because of this decision.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“If I was a responsible school board member and was going to consider something like this, donĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t you think I would approach Coach Hooks first to get his input on how it would affect students in athletics and an accurate dollar amount this costs each year,Ć¢ā‚¬ Moore continued. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“They never asked Coach Hooks anything before they made this decision.Ć¢ā‚¬

Hooks, also in attendance, said he was hopeful the outcome at the next school board meeting might be different.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“I think the first time we went to the board we acted a little hastily,Ć¢ā‚¬ Hooks said. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“But, if cooler heads prevail, we can sit down with the board and get this straight.Ć¢ā‚¬

Hooks said since classes resumed on Jan. 5, it is obvious what affect the school boardĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s decision is having on student athletes, especially at the middle school level.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ItĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s making coaches take students home right now,Ć¢ā‚¬ he continued. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“I know thatĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s a liability issue and weĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ll have to address that, but weĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re not going to leave those 13-year-old, 14-year-old and 15-year-old kids to fend for themselves. The safety of the kids is what IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢m interested in.Ć¢ā‚¬

According to information shared at the meeting Tuesday night, several other school districts, including Beaumont, Port Arthur and two Houston-area districts, provide programs like this for their students.

Although Hooks was concerned about the safety of children, he is also concerned on the future of the athletics department if the school boardĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s decision eliminates the fountain of youth at the seventh and eighth grade levels which feeds all high school sports programs.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“The crux of your programs are these little kids,Ć¢ā‚¬ Hooks added. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“How it is going to affect these spring sports programs is what also concerns me. If (the school board) draws a line in the sand, they will split this community.Ć¢ā‚¬

Toby Foreman is the track coach at West Orange-Stark High School. He said this decision has affected a large number of students in track and field at the high school, but even more at the middle school level.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“This affects probably 20 to 25 students in track who ride these buses after practice,Ć¢ā‚¬ Foreman said. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“And at least 35 to 45 students in middle school. Probably everyone of those middle school kids ride the bus home after practice. If they leave the decision like this, then it could kill the seventh and eighth-grade track programs.Ć¢ā‚¬

The after practice transportation program is something Foreman knows about firsthand.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“There is no way I could have made through high school without this program,Ć¢ā‚¬ Foreman added. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“The bottom line is you have to do what is right for the kids, and this isnĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t right for the kids.Ć¢ā‚¬

One concerned citizen was offended by the school boardĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s decision to cut the after-event transportation without taking into account all avenues and holding workshop sessions first.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“I think it is an insult against our children for (the board) to take away this bus transportation after practice or events,Ć¢ā‚¬ said Calvin Adams. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Every kid participating in extra-curricular activities is obviously passing their classes. There is more than one way to take care of this problem and we all need to find it.Ć¢ā‚¬

Hooks said he believes some board members may reconsider their November decision, but believes others may not be so easily swayed.

Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Some of the board members are adversarial to athletics,Ć¢ā‚¬ Hooks said. Ć¢ā‚¬Å“And, if they have their way, then we will be a Class A school before itĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s over. I donĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t know what their agenda is, but itĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s not saving the district money. LetĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s do whatĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s right for the children and get this corrected.Ć¢ā‚¬

I am curious - How many school districts in this area provide this transportation?Ā  I know Vidor does not.Ā  I will admit that when my boys were younger it was quite a challenge to make sure that they had a way to get home from practice and/or games.Ā  We had to be creative at times - i.e. carpooling.Ā  IMO you can find a way if you want to.Ā 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder