Concerned WO-S Parents To Gather Over Bus Decision Tue!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what you call hard work TD-------------thanks

They don't really go with that mug shot you have been having sporting. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that wasn't your mug shot nor are those your abs. Just a guess.  ;D

I have a prediction, the talent and enrollment of LCM is fixing to go WAY up!!

They don't bus over there either.

I was not intending that statement as a result of the busing, but as a result of the taks issue!  I GAURANTEE you can't find five school districts in the entire state that have this requirement! 

I don't think you can find one. Someone looked into it and unless they are wrong it's unconstitutional.

Unconstitutional to set school policy?

I'm only passing along information. That was the opinion. We didn't just get the information from a guy off the street either. Some policies are made by people that are in higher positions than the school board.

TD,

I've googled all morning and cannot find anywhere that states anything unconstitutional about TAKS testing and UIL competition. I know people think this is a non-issue, but why would the board bring this up if not serious? Are they that ignorant to know it would add insult to injury after the buss ordeal?

I wanted to give some clarification about the TAKS testing issue and the Constitution...I'm Aggies wife and was the sponsor of an extracurricular group that had academic restrictions that must be met prior to being accepted in to the group. In our national organization, there were a couple of cases that reached the Supreme Court relating to this subject. In one case, a student had not been selected to be in Honor Society because he had a questionable conduct record throughout high school. The attorneys for the student held the position that the student was academically qualified and therefore had a right to be a part of the group. The court found in favor of the district saying that exclusion from an extra-curricular activity was not a violation of the student's civil rights. In a similar case, a student was dismissed from the organization due to an inability to maintain academic standards held by the national and/or local constitution and bylaws of the organization. The courts again ruled in favor of the district in this case stating that belonging to an extracurricular activity is a choice and had no bearing on the public funded education of the student, and although it was a privilege to hold a part in such activities, it was not an "unalienable (constitutional/God given) right" to be excluded from such an organization, nor was it an entitlement. Summing up, I would think that athletics is also considered an extracurricular activity. It is not a required part of the curriculum. State education code and graduation standards do mandate a certain number of p.e. credits. It's just that some students choose to fulfill that part of their requirement by the choice to par ticpate in an athletic (or band, or cheerleader, or drill team) organization. I cannot speak on the validity of local policies put into effect related to TAKS or any other district or state requirements. I just wanted to comment that the courts had ruled that not being a part or excluded from of an extracurricular activity was not a violation of a student's Constitutional, civil, or unalienable rights or entitlements. I'm no legal expert of course, just a lowly teacher passing on what I hope is helpful.

Guest GoStangs

I wasn't sure what to think about the whole thing, but in the end, I believe the school board got this one right.

Just ask yourself this question:  If they didn't have after school transportation and wanted to add it, despite being $2,000,000 in the red, would people be this gung-ho to support adding a $16,000 per annum debt to the defecit?  I know I would be against that, and I believe most everyone would think the board would be insane for going that direction.  It took me a while to realize this, but the major issue here is not the program itself, it's the pain of change, and people don't like getting something taken away, especially when they've grown accustomed to having it.  Unfortunately, in the situation the district is in now, they have to start slashing things out of the budget, and nothing is going to be easy or pleasing to everyone.

I wasn't sure what to think about the whole thing, but in the end, I believe the school board got this one right.

Just ask yourself this question:  If they didn't have after school transportation and wanted to add it, despite being $2,000,000 in the red, would people be this gung-ho to support adding a $16,000 per annum debt to the defecit?  I know I would be against that, and I believe most everyone would think the board would be insane for going that direction.  It took me a while to realize this, but the major issue here is not the program itself, it's the pain of change, and people don't like getting something taken away, especially when they've grown accustomed to having it.  Unfortunately, in the situation the district is in now, they have to start slashing things out of the budget, and nothing is going to be easy or pleasing to everyone.

Finally, someone from WOS makes a sensible statement regarding this issue. I was really beginning to wonder if there was any realistic folks over there.

The fact is, if the school district doesn't start cutting some costs, there will be no school for you Stang football fans to cheer for.

Guest GoStangs

Yea but their not going in that Direction.

Well, if you agree that it wouldn't be worth adding the cost in this situation, you must agree it doesn't make much sense for a district in financial turmoil to keep it, either.  There are some good things that are going to get lost in the shuffle and maybe later, when the district has an extra $2,000,000 in their pocket, they can bring it back, but overall, getting rid of the program is needed right now.

Coop, they're going in the right direction here, like it or not.  They can't keep spending money on things that can be cut back a bit.  People have argued it's only $16,000 per year they're saving, but that's a good chunk of change, and they are going to have to chip away at the massive defecit.  I don't think there's a $2,000,000 worthless program that they can cut to get back on track, but there are a lot of little things they can do to save money, and this is one of them.

Guest GoStangs

That made no dent  (16,000) at all and this will most likely be voted back in anyway.

They made a $16,000 dent, which is pretty good.  When you're in debt like the district is, every penny counts, especially when you consider the cumulative savings.  In 5 years, assuming the cost would not have increased, they would have saved nearly $100,000 from that program alone.  Like I posted earlier, there's no quick and easy fix; you just have to start working away at it.

As for the issue being voted back, so be it.  I see all the positives to it, as well.  I do think the board members need to do what's right for now and the future and not what's popular among a handful of people, several of whom don't even have a dog in the fight.

Yea but their not going in that Direction.

Well, if you agree that it wouldn't be worth adding the cost in this situation, you must agree it doesn't make much sense for a district in financial turmoil to keep it, either.  There are some good things that are going to get lost in the shuffle and maybe later, when the district has an extra $2,000,000 in their pocket, they can bring it back, but overall, getting rid of the program is needed right now.

Coop, they're going in the right direction here, like it or not.  They can't keep spending money on things that can be cut back a bit.  People have argued it's only $16,000 per year they're saving, but that's a good chunk of change, and they are going to have to chip away at the massive deficit.  I don't think there's a $2,000,000 worthless program that they can cut to get back on track, but there are a lot of little things they can do to save money, and this is one of them.

GoStangs, you are rapidly becoming one of my favorite WOS fans. Another sensible and well directed post.

I totally agree, they have to start somewhere. Like you said, there is no 2 million dollar program that they can cut to get them back in the black. They have to chip away at it.

Another thing, the state is expects a school district to cut costs when they are working in a deficit. They are watching. Every school district that I know of would consider this transportation program a luxury, not a necessity. Anyone trying to balance a budget always looks to cut a luxury first.

Am I the only one that wants to know how we get 2 mill. deficit and then start worrying about how to cut? The whole thing is a mess and yes it is going to be ugly. My problem is how did it get this way. Who wasn't on watch when they were supposed to be. I know it isn't as easy as this but it just seems as though you would see it coming.

Am I the only one that wants to know how we get 2 mill. deficit and then start worrying about how to cut? The whole thing is a mess and yes it is going to be ugly. My problem is how did it get this way. Who wasn't on watch when they were supposed to be. I know it isn't as easy as this but it just seems as though you would see it coming.

No kidding!!! ::)

Finally, someone from WOS makes a sensible statement regarding this issue. I was really beginning to wonder if there was any realistic folks over there.

The fact is, if the school district doesn't start cutting some costs, there will be no school for you Stang football fans to cheer for.

Speaking of realistic statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If they aren't watching over the financials and the school closes then we will still have another school to go to. Actually it won't take me that long. If things continue in this direction, there are 4 other schools in Orange county.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476