Multi-Sport Athletes

Just now, PlayActionPass said:

Hmm.....

I tend to disagree.

I was a multi sport athlete in High School and am now a coach.

Kid is not going to be a very good hitter if he only hits in the spring and summer, I took BP and threw (to keep my arm in shape) during football and basketball season.

Kid is not going to be a very good QB, WR or DB if he only throws passes, runs routes or covers receivers in the fall or during a few 7 on 7 games after baseball is over.

And a kid is never going to be good shooter of the basketball if he only shoots during the basketball season.

Skills are honed, not mastered, they need to be developed and practiced repeatedly.

There are times when certain things are appropriate, and when they are not.  We can agree to disagree on the appropriateness of star baseball players doing contact football drills in the days leading up the baseball playoffs.  

If there's a specific situation that started this thread, I don't know the details.  Nor do I care.  But I do have an opinion about what I'm gathering from some of the comments.

My opinion: I do believe that an AD should leave the players of a particular sport to their respective head coach during that season.  The varsity players of that sport anyway.  I believe it's a little different concerning the sub varsity players of that sport.  If an AD/HFC decides to grab some JV baseball players for some offseason football stuff during the athletics period, I don't have AS MUCH of a problem with it.  I would still consider it a common courtesy to discuss with the head coach of that particular sport to consider their thoughts on it.

I also believe that ALL athletes should be lifting and running all year.  When in a particular season, I believe that the head coach of that sport should control the reigns on that topic to implement some sport specific lifting/running during their season.  But all athletes should be in the weight room year round.

As far as playing multiple sports?  I'm an advocate.  I know that the popular idea is for potentially good/great players in a specific sport to "focus" on that sport.  And I agree.. but focusing on one sport doesn't mean stopping the others.  It just means prioritizing time in a way that extra work is put into that specific sport.  After hours, weekends, holidays/summer, etc..  Just because you plan on making a push into college baseball (for example) doesn't mean you can't work on baseball during other sports seasons.  That's exactly what I did.. and countless others.  Plus, it's important to maybe learn how to be a role player in a sport that you're not the best at.  Because that's coming.

That's my opinion.  And I come from an era where kids played multiple sports if they knew it would be helping.  Helping their classmates.. or just contributing to school pride.  I hate knowing that there are schools that could be much more competitive if their kids would just come out.  It's hard for me to understand if I'm being honest. 

5 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

Meh.. Everyone knows this. The kid that got injured wasn't lifting weights. Supposedly he was hit with a helmet in his elbow. In my opinion the kid shouldn't have been put in that situation. AD should've told the Varsity baseball players to sit that one out. I have no issues with the lifting or conditioning. However, anytime helmets/pads are on there is a higher risk of injury. This AD showed a total lack of respect for HIS baseball program. 

I'm going to agree with this.

Individual drills would be fine, but a varsity baseball player should not be involved in full pad practices during the baseball season.

Especially, if he is a contributing player on a playoff bound baseball team.

This is irresponsible and selfish of the AD/HFC.

39 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

There are times when certain things are appropriate, and when they are not.  We can agree to disagree on the appropriateness of star baseball players doing contact football drills in the days leading up the baseball playoffs.  

So you are saying a star baseball SHOULD be doing full contact football drills during the baseball season as his Baseball team prepares for the playoffs?

So you are saying a star baseball SHOULD be doing full contact football drills during the baseball season as his Baseball team prepares for the playoffs?

of course not.  Kinda got the impression you were for it.

No Sir

Non Contact Drills, probably not a big deal.

But even 7 on 7 with pads or just helmets is a recipe for disaster.

Non padded 7 on 7 in a controlled environment, maybe.

well then I'm with you on the other stuff you stated.  I don't at all have an issue with a basketball player getting some jump shots in during football, or some easy BP swings, etc.  But I don't want basketball players doing box out drills, batters facing live pitching, etc during football, and vice versa on football drills during those seasons.  I guess I should've clarified my original post with the caveat that I don't think they should be doing major work in multiple school sports at the same time.

26 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

well then I'm with you on the other stuff you stated.  I don't at all have an issue with a basketball player getting some jump shots in during football, or some easy BP swings, etc.  But I don't want basketball players doing box out drills, batters facing live pitching, etc during football, and vice versa on football drills during those seasons.  I guess I should've clarified my original post with the caveat that I don't think they should be doing major work in multiple school sports at the same time.

I played 4 years of college basketball... and knew at a very early age that it would be my passion.  I also played football.. and baseball in JH/HS.  During football/baseball seasons I got in a lot of basketball drills.  Before school, after practice, and on weekends.  I most definitely have a problem with using time for YOUR sport during time that's allocated for another sport.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, focusing on a sport doesn't mean abandoning the others.  It just means finding extra time.

Players that want to be great will do that. 

21 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

It's an unfortunate injury, but in my opinion, the athlete should participate in any and all activities required of the respective teams they play on, as long as physically able. 

I don't completely disagree. Individual drills, running, lifting, etc. I agree are perfectly fine. This incident involved a padded practice where a kid was injured. I just think it would be best for an AD to have the Varsity athletes currently participating in another sport just sit out. It's an activity with a much higher risk of injury. We don't see basketball kids practicing/playing while football season is going on do we? No, because no AD would allow that. Let's have the same common courtesy for the other sports too.

4 hours ago, gogo173489 said:

Not many schools, if any in our area, have fall baseball teams. Kids play for teams outside of school during the fall if they want to.

I think you would be surprised.

It is not publicized, but most schools that want to be good at baseball play fall baseball.

On 4/29/2024 at 9:14 AM, gogo173489 said:

Meh.. Everyone knows this. The kid that got injured wasn't lifting weights. Supposedly he was hit with a helmet in his elbow. In my opinion the kid shouldn't have been put in that situation. AD should've told the Varsity baseball players to sit that one out. I have no issues with the lifting or conditioning. However, anytime helmets/pads are on there is a higher risk of injury. This AD showed a total lack of respect for HIS baseball program. 

Didn’t sound like it. That’s why I made the comment.

On 4/30/2024 at 7:36 AM, gogo173489 said:

Not many schools, if any in our area, have fall baseball teams. Kids play for teams outside of school during the fall if they want to.

Wrong, a lot of schools west of y’all play a Fall schedule.

11 minutes ago, TradenupBH said:

Wrong, a lot of schools west of y’all play a Fall schedule.

A lot of SETX schools play fall ball as well.  Hell, I remember a couple years ago, the starting QB for a local team showed up to the game after football practice still wearing his girdle and thigh pads. 

From personal experience with one of my boys. He played football and baseball until his Junior year. I remember as a Sophomore he was the JV QB and was getting smoked on a regular basis because varsity had all of the big linemen. Lol Needless to say after that season, he went one sport, baseball, and it payed off. He got to play college baseball.

each to their own on multi sports kids, but injuries happen all of the time. If a kid don’t like how coaches are running a program or worried about injuries, then a decision has to be made.

1 hour ago, Right99JOH said:

A lot of SETX schools play fall ball as well.  Hell, I remember a couple years ago, the starting QB for a local team showed up to the game after football practice still wearing his girdle and thigh pads. 

Which SETX school participates in Fall baseball? Kids in SETX play Fall ball on their own but the only "Fall ball" the schools are playing is football. 

41 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Which SETX school participates in Fall baseball? Kids in SETX play Fall ball on their own but the only "Fall ball" the schools are playing is football. 

Correct, fall BASEball is on their own.  No coaches.  3, 4 years ago.... Vidor, Ned, PNG, OF all had fall BASEball teams.

18 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Coaches can't be in the dugout to coach, but the coaches are setting the schedule. The coaches are organizing it. The coaches are setting the lineup in advance. The coaches are determining who is pitching and how many pitches they are throwing.

Fall baseball is like 7 on 7. The coaches may not be calling he pitches or the plays, but they are in "control" of the situation and they are present and "observing."

20 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

From personal experience with one of my boys. He played football and baseball until his Junior year. I remember as a Sophomore he was the JV QB and was getting smoked on a regular basis because varsity had all of the big linemen. Lol Needless to say after that season, he went one sport, baseball, and it payed off. He got to play college baseball.

each to their own on multi sports kids, but injuries happen all of the time. If a kid don’t like how coaches are running a program or worried about injuries, then a decision has to be made.

You said a lot there. Truthfully, that is the root of the issue. Who cares what a kid thinks about how coaches are running a program? Kids play, coaches coach. For some reason, parents have this backward in a lot of places and its wreaking havoc. 

3 hours ago, PlayActionPass said:

Coaches can't be in the dugout to coach, but the coaches are setting the schedule. The coaches are organizing it. The coaches are setting the lineup in advance. The coaches are determining who is pitching and how many pitches they are throwing.

Fall baseball is like 7 on 7. The coaches may not be calling he pitches or the plays, but they are in "control" of the situation and they are present and "observing."

Which schools?

12 hours ago, 2wedge said:

You said a lot there. Truthfully, that is the root of the issue. Who cares what a kid thinks about how coaches are running a program? Kids play, coaches coach. For some reason, parents have this backward in a lot of places and it’s wreaking havoc. 

Lol, really? A kid in HS can make his own decision what sport he wants to play or what school activities he wants to participate in. I could care less what the school or coaches think. If the kid doesn’t participate in any sport or school activities, go get a job. Simple.

11 hours ago, TradenupBH said:

Lol, really? A kid in HS can make his own decision what sport he wants to play or what school activities he wants to participate in. I could care less what the school or coaches think. If the kid doesn’t participate in any sport or school activities, go get a job. Simple.

But that's not what you said. You said if a "kid doesn't like how coaches are running a program" they can make their own decision. A kid not wanting to play anymore is one thing, a parent letting a kid stop liking the sport because of disagreement with how the program is run is completely different. 

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

But that's not what you said. You said if a "kid doesn't like how coaches are running a program" they can make their own decision. A kid not wanting to play anymore is one thing, a parent letting a kid stop liking the sport because of disagreement with how the program is run is completely different. 

I think you’re splitting hairs. If a kid for instance doesn’t like the spring workouts for football while playing in season baseball and feels its detrimental to his future in baseball, then the kid and parent need to make a decision if playing football the next season is the right choice. I’m saying that decision is based on the kid and parent and who cares what the football coach thinks about the decision. No knock towards football coaches or any coach, that’s a decision between the kid and his family. It’s a hypothetical situation. Maybe I worded it wrong or you’re taking it the wrong way.