Multi-Sport Athletes

I could talk forever about this..  I have quite a bit of first hand knowledge about the way kids feel about this subject.  I don't agree with the kids when they want to quit one sport to "focusing on one sport" but understand reasoning why they quit especially in JR. and SR. year... 

Keep these two things in mind. It you agree with these two statements then you can understand:

• Multi-sport kids should be pushed to play what they want to play...
  • Kids should be never be mandated to play any sport..

All repercussions fall back on the AD... It's the AD's program.  If they mandated it, the AD has to take responsibility.. even in accidents...

• Good AD's know how to navigate multi-sport kids. They inspire the want to play.
  • Bad AD's do not and cause tension inside their entire athletic programs.. this is when you see kids that contribute in one sport quit usually after 10th grade year.. 
  • Really bad AD's have caused so much damage that the kid quits being a multi-sport athlete (quits football) after his 8th grade year. He never even gets to coach them in high school.

Again I could get very specific but not gonna. 

7 hours ago, hitman009 said:

I could talk forever about this..  I have quite a bit of first hand knowledge about the way kids feel about this subject.  I don't agree with the kids when they want to quit one sport to "focusing on one sport" but understand reasoning why they quit especially in JR. and SR. year... 

Keep these two things in mind. It you agree with these two statements then you can understand:

• Multi-sport kids should be pushed to play what they want to play...
  • Kids should be never be mandated to play any sport..

All repercussions fall back on the AD... It's the AD's program.  If they mandated it, the AD has to take responsibility.. even in accidents...

• Good AD's know how to navigate multi-sport kids. They inspire the want to play.
  • Bad AD's do not and cause tension inside their entire athletic programs.. this is when you see kids that contribute in one sport quit usually after 10th grade year.. 
  • Really bad AD's have caused so much damage that the kid quits being a multi-sport athlete (quits football) after his 8th grade year. He never even gets to coach them in high school.

Again I could get very specific but not gonna. 

Good ADs "win in football". 

On 4/26/2024 at 2:17 PM, bullets13 said:

an intentionally dense oversimplification of the issue at hand.

Not really,  most of the people I played with were multi-sport athletes.  This specialization stuff didn’t start until later.  No one was blamed if someone got hurt in one sport and missed time in another. Life happens.

28 minutes ago, Bigdog said:

Not really,  most of the people I played with were multi-sport athletes.  This specialization stuff didn’t start until later.  No one was blamed if someone got hurt in one sport and missed time in another. Life happens.

That was in response to his assertion that athletes not be able to run because they might pull a muscle. 

On 4/26/2024 at 2:04 PM, Unbelievableee said:

Whew man! I guess kids should not run during athletics because they might pull a muscle or roll an ankle and be out of their in season sport. What a joke

Conditioning should be done by the coach that they are IN SEASON with. This is a simple concept that's missed by so many. Way too many kids are overworked these days. I don't really care what was done 20, 30 or 40 years ago. We know more now and should do better. And maybe kids were more durable in the past, but they also had a great foundation of manual labor, etc.

And lifting... done right, should be done all year round. Dayton's S&C coordinator is top notch when it comes to putting this together.

On 4/27/2024 at 9:06 AM, TradenupBH said:

Hate to tell everyone, but if your kid plays college baseball, he will be lifting weights in season and sometimes heavy. Also a lot of running. Carry on…. 

Meh.. Everyone knows this. The kid that got injured wasn't lifting weights. Supposedly he was hit with a helmet in his elbow. In my opinion the kid shouldn't have been put in that situation. AD should've told the Varsity baseball players to sit that one out. I have no issues with the lifting or conditioning. However, anytime helmets/pads are on there is a higher risk of injury. This AD showed a total lack of respect for HIS baseball program. 

3 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

Prime example for a certain player a few years back  named Preston Riggs for PNG perhaps the best receiver we have ever had. He was All State in Football, Baseball, and Soccer. 

Yep, most of the people I played with were in at least three sports and we had to do track as well.

6 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Can't really agree with this statement.

No biggie. 

Kids doing an athletic period, after school lift/skills and then a third workout or practice 4/5 days a week is too much. There's just no way that an athlete performs THEIR BEST, under those circumstances. They're not machines and way too often, the driven kids that don't miss workouts, wind up injured. 

1 hour ago, gogo173489 said:

Meh.. Everyone knows this. The kid that got injured wasn't lifting weights. Supposedly he was hit with a helmet in his elbow. In my opinion the kid shouldn't have been put in that situation. AD should've told the Varsity baseball players to sit that one out. I have no issues with the lifting or conditioning. However, anytime helmets/pads are on there is a higher risk of injury. This AD showed a total lack of respect for HIS baseball program. 

It's an unfortunate injury, but in my opinion, the athlete should participate in any and all activities required of the respective teams they play on, as long as physically able. 

On 4/26/2024 at 2:04 PM, Unbelievableee said:

Whew man! I guess kids should not run during athletics because they might pull a muscle or roll an ankle and be out of their in season sport. What a joke

I was not talking about lifting and speed/agility drills... Every good coach in ANY sport should be doing this in season... We are talking about mandated SPORT participation in OFF SEASON... 

On 4/27/2024 at 9:06 AM, TradenupBH said:

Hate to tell everyone, but if your kid plays college baseball, he will be lifting weights in season and sometimes heavy. Also a lot of running. Carry on…. 

They lift around their baseball schedule.  They don’t go heavy on game days or do shoulder workouts before they pitch that night.  They damn sure aren’t tackling each other.  

17 hours ago, Bigdog said:

Getting hurt in another sport isn’t the problem.  Getting hurt in offseason workouts in the middle of district is.  

He had surgery this morning and will probably miss football next season anyways.  At least they got to workout in pads in April.  

48 minutes ago, prepballfan said:

Prime example for a certain player a few years back  named Preston Riggs for PNG perhaps the best receiver we have ever had. He was All State in Football, Baseball, and Soccer. 

Preston Riggs did not play baseball. He was All-State in football, soccer, and track. 

On 4/26/2024 at 8:37 PM, 89Falcon said:

Because football is what matters most.

And there it is...The exact reason of the decline of multi-sport kids.

This statement is the reason why kids are "concentrating" on one sport.. When a multi-sport kid believes his AD thinks this way he believes his AD does not care about his dreams, his wants, his desires, his hard work he put into that other sport... and to make matters worse.. the kids who don't play football are telling the multi-sport kid.. "He does not care about us.. all he cares about is football." The multi-sport kid believe its not fair to them and the other kids on that team.

Good AD's win by keeping the multi-sport kid in their program... They are usually the best athletes

Good AD's understand the player, understand his dream, show up to their games in support, don't demean the other sport and don't blame their failures on the other sport.