Nederland is open, Barrow Resigns

3 hours ago, PhatMack19 said:

This is what people mean when they say culture change.  Maybe Todd Dodge can help out Nederland boys track program. Or at least get the kids to show up and get organized work outs in…..

Its a completely different culture across the board.  Barrow has caught a lot of heat and owns some of it but its a Nederland ISD issue.  I read a lot about kids playing multiple sports and all that.  It really goes to overall involvement.  PNG encourages a culture where kids are involved at a early age one way or the other.  From students doing broadcast during games, 75 girls in drill team, band, and all the way thru into their athletics.  Nederland needs to take a hard look at why their students are not getting involved.  I might be wrong but I believe if your a cheerleader or drill team at Nederland you are not allowed to participate in spring sports, but I know at PNG they can.  Why does one place have this type of participation in all there organizations and literally across the street their number shrink every year.  One answer culture.  Culture starts with your leaders and there is more than one leader at Nederland who should have to be answering these questions.  Barrow and a lot coaches are going to take the bullet for this and rightfully so but their is still plenty of people from Principal Natalie Gomez to our Superintendent who need to take a hard look at the type of culture they are creating around them.

4 hours ago, DogFan1 said:

Its a completely different culture across the board.  Barrow has caught a lot of heat and owns some of it but its a Nederland ISD issue.  I read a lot about kids playing multiple sports and all that.  It really goes to overall involvement.  PNG encourages a culture where kids are involved at a early age one way or the other.  From students doing broadcast during games, 75 girls in drill team, band, and all the way thru into their athletics.  Nederland needs to take a hard look at why their students are not getting involved.  I might be wrong but I believe if your a cheerleader or drill team at Nederland you are not allowed to participate in spring sports, but I know at PNG they can.  Why does one place have this type of participation in all there organizations and literally across the street their number shrink every year.  One answer culture.  Culture starts with your leaders and there is more than one leader at Nederland who should have to be answering these questions.  Barrow and a lot coaches are going to take the bullet for this and rightfully so but their is still plenty of people from Principal Natalie Gomez to our Superintendent who need to take a hard look at the type of culture they are creating around them.

1. I don't believe a new AD/HFC will readily change that type of existing culture that you're talking about, re student involvement across the board, etc.  I hope I'm wrong, maybe the new guy will know all about these things.  It could be that he'll just do the best he can with the current HS enrollment, but really focus on the youngsters from middle school on down, I don't know.  

2. After watching 16 live football games and halftimes this season I can say that (IMO) student involvement at ALL of the other high schools that PNG played was pretty low. I wondered at every game what the deal was, with purported enrollments, why the other bands and drill teams, etc, were so small.  Is it lack of money? Lack of tradition? What else? The only other band and drill team that came remotely close I think was Dayton. 

3. After watching a few of this season's playoff games (PNG), my older sisters and brother, who graduated in the 50s and 60s, remarked that everything was still the same, even the last names. The only "new thing" to them, (and to me), was the tomahawk chop thing. That's a lot of long time tradition. There are many schools that have merged over and over, changed mascots, colors, songs, and there's no tradition. 

4. Hopefully the new AD will have the secret, and Nederland athletics and other related activities will come back. 

3 hours ago, DogFan1 said:

Amen......and spot on. One thing about our neighbor school across the tracks....If there's not a place for you to fit in, it's cause you don't want one. Lot's of good things happening over there. I've always been a Huge supporter of Monte and company but he's gone now and it's time for change. Nederland doesn't have all the home growns and 2nd and 3rd generation kids anymore. So many have moved across the river, and to HF, Lumberton etc.......This isn't as big an issue in PNG. Just not as many diehard born and bred Bulldogs(CULTURE). Everyone needs a place to live but, Nederland is saturated with duplexes , apartments, and rental property. Say what you will but alot of these kids aren't diehards and necessarily Bulldogs due to moving in, out and around too much. This is a leadership problem, and it's in the lap of our City leaders. The ISD is saturated with kinfolks, classmates and GOB's. This can lead to an environment of complacency. It's uncomfortable to discipline kinfolk. This isn't saying Ned is all bad, it's just time for change. Top to bottom, and not just the coaching staff.

PN-G often gets made fun of because of its core values of Honor, Pride, and Tradition, but those things matter.  As I get older and farther away from my time in the PN-GISD, I am more and more thankful for the generations of PN-G administrators, teachers, staff, and alumni that created all the great traditions and Indian Spirit culture that still mean the same thing in 2024 like they did in 1925.  What outanup said was 100% correct.  If you are a student at PN-G and you cannot find a group or activity to join, then you don't want one.  That makes this alum feel proud and I would feel that way if our football team was 16-0 or 0-10.  PN-GISD, alums, and the leaders in the cities of Port Neches and Groves want the kids to be involved from K-12...Honor, Pride, and Tradition meant something in 1925, it still means something today, and it will carry you a long way in life. Here's to Nederland finding the right coach, re-energizing the ISD, and the kids enjoying success.  I still gotta finish with Go Indians.

1970 and 1989NDN touch on some important points about PN-G and what's going on in the rest of American secondary education. I think most of the posters on this site know that I've been involved in Texas policy circles for several years now, and worked for a state institution of higher education until a few months ago.

In my dealings with the state's education policy thought leaders, it has struck me just how significantly public schools in this state have changed, generally speaking, even since I was in high school only thirteen years ago. To my mind, PN-G has solidified itself as one of the last remaining examples of the right mix of things that used to make the model public high school in America: strong academics, strong extracurricular programming, strong community support, and a strong culture centered around school pride and a continuing tradition of success. To have a strong high school, you need a healthy mix of all of that.

Extracurricular participation is particularly important because it teaches life lessons that can't be learned from a textbook, and because it often motivates students to try harder in the classroom. PN-G has staved off - in some ways, reversed - trends I've seen across much of the rest of public education that have slowly eaten away at the strength of our education system. You can see the evidence every Friday night. Schools with substantially more students (and resources) than PN-G field sports teams, drill teams and bands a fraction of the size of their PN-G counterparts. Sure, some of those other schools might look fine on paper, but far too often, it's because administrators, curriculum developers and faculty have found ways to game the system to create appearances of success instead of doing the hard work it takes to achieve real success.

I think PN-G's present level of extracurricular participation and success, and all of the benefits that come with it whether tangible or intangible, is a testament to what the faculty, staff and community have managed to accomplish and sustain. Many schools have a rich history that sits in backroom trophy cabinets and closeted yearbooks collecting dust while nobody notices. PN-G has refused to forget about its history, instead choosing to hold out the achievements of past students as an example to current students of what they, too, are capable of. At the high school level, that is truly remarkable. I believe the high school's present success validates the efficacy of the approach.

One day, some of us alumni are going to have to have a conversation about what we can do to more tangibly contribute to the continuation of those traditions, but that's a conversation for a future date when I have more time and energy to spare.

But now back to Nederland....

2 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

1970 and 1989NDN touch on some important points about PN-G and what's going on in the rest of American secondary education. I think most of the posters on this site know that I've been involved in Texas policy circles for several years now, and worked for a state institution of higher education until a few months ago.

In my dealings with the state's education policy thought leaders, it has struck me just how significantly public schools in this state have changed, generally speaking, even since I was in high school only thirteen years ago. To my mind, PN-G has solidified itself as one of the last remaining examples of the right mix of things that used to make the model public high school in America: strong academics, strong extracurricular programming, strong community support, and a strong culture centered around school pride and a continuing tradition of success. To have a strong high school, you need a healthy mix of all of that.

Extracurricular participation is particularly important because it teaches life lessons that can't be learned from a textbook, and because it often motivates students to try harder in the classroom. PN-G has staved off - in some ways, reversed - trends I've seen across much of the rest of public education that have slowly eaten away at the strength of our education system. You can see the evidence every Friday night. Schools with substantially more students (and resources) than PN-G field sports teams, drill teams and bands a fraction of the size of their PN-G counterparts. Sure, some of those other schools might look fine on paper, but far too often, it's because administrators, curriculum developers and faculty have found ways to game the system to create appearances of success instead of doing the hard work it takes to achieve real success.

I think PN-G's present level of extracurricular participation and success, and all of the benefits that come with it whether tangible or intangible, is a testament to what the faculty, staff and community have managed to accomplish and sustain. Many schools have a rich history that sits in backroom trophy cabinets and closeted yearbooks collecting dust while nobody notices. PN-G has refused to forget about its history, instead choosing to hold out the achievements of past students as an example to current students of what they, too, are capable of. At the high school level, that is truly remarkable. I believe the high school's present success validates the efficacy of the approach.

One day, some of us alumni are going to have to have a conversation about what we can do to more tangibly contribute to the continuation of those traditions, but that's a conversation for a future date when I have more time and energy to spare.

But now back to Nederland....

Maybe something is being looked at for part of this continuation. Ill fill you in after turnaround. You are one of the people who, if interested, could take part in it. Working with a mutual friend and two long time PN-G historians. Looking at some ideas. Also working with a great man from PA to help develop something for the great history of Port Arthur. A few other ideas being kicked around. Little to early in the process to get to deep in discussion. 

16 hours ago, DogFan1 said:

Leadership is not following the crowd or riding the current of the stream, it’s not looking across the tracks, but looking within and challenging yourself more than others.  Poor leaders do things for cosmetics and optics.  The worst do things out of fear.

14 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

@navydawg31 when are they narrowing it down to 3 ppl? 😁

I’ll ask some of my connections, but last I heard the last Monday is a key date in February… but they also decided to close the job opening down a few days early. Makes me think they might have a few choices they want… a few names been tossed around a interesting.

6 hours ago, Brubaker said:

Leadership is not following the crowd or riding the current of the stream, it’s not looking across the tracks, but looking within and challenging yourself more than others.  Poor leaders do things for cosmetics and optics.  The worst do things out of fear.

Preach brother….amen!  If only more understood this

6 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

I’ll ask some of my connections, but last I heard the last Monday is a key date in February… but they also decided to close the job opening down a few days early. Makes me think they might have a few choices they want… a few names been tossed around an interesting.

They better hurry up if I’m reading this right.  I highly doubt any truly quality candidates are going to be sitting on their hands waiting for a phone call from Nederland.  They’re going to keep applying at other places.  

10 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

They better hurry up if I’m reading this right.  I highly doubt any truly quality candidates are going to be sitting on their hands waiting for a phone call from Nederland.  They’re going to keep applying at other places.  

I just hope they allow the new coach to bring in their own assistants that has bit us in the past hopefully the school board has learned 

19 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Why hurry hurry and rush a hire? There is still plenty of time… this is a critical time in NISD. Don’t want to rush and hire the first person and the whole program takes 5 more steps back than where it currently is… something NISD may dig themselves a hole and never get out of.. 

1 hour ago, navydawg31 said:

Why hurry hurry and rush a hire? There is still plenty of time… this is a critical time in NISD. Don’t want to rush and hire the first person and the whole program takes 5 more steps back than where it currently is… something NISD may dig themselves a hole and never get out of.. 

I understand where you’re coming from, but there isn’t an unlimited timeline for this.  The offseason has already begun and the new coach needs time to build a staff and then start building his program.  The clock is ticking.