Jeffery Breaux named OF’s New AD

Gocats90

8 hours ago, 72 Pinto said:

I hope Orangefield hires someone to upgrade that stadium.  I like to go to Friday night games, but the experience at PNG compared Orangefield is night and day.

To be fair, you are going to exclude about 99% of the schools in the state if you are comparing them to PNG, maybe 100% for all I know.  But you are also 100% correct that McClain needs upgrading. 

On 12/15/2023 at 1:00 PM, LIBERTY82 said:

Is that the only two offenses available to play in football anymore?  Slot T or Spread?

What about pistol, zone read RPO, power wing or power I, double Wing, run-n-shoot,  60/40 series, veer ?  Are those obsolete? 

Always interested in how people define the "spread". If you look at modern "spread offenses" it's just a "spread version of triple option.  

On 12/15/2023 at 1:02 PM, KF89 said:

I believe Nederlands DC was a very good football\baseball player & grad from OF. Could be a good fit as the OF AD\Head football coach position?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, sir, and if that’s how you feel then that’s your right. I’m not trying to be argumentative with you for sure so please don’t read anything I’m posting here as an attempt to show you up at all.

However there are a few facts that would surround that. You are speaking of Chris Theriot. I believe they passed on him years ago when he was Ofield’s defensive coordinator under head coach Blake Morrison. When Morrison left, I think that’s when they brought in Huckaby or something like that. If Theriot is now the defensive coordinator at Nederland , I wouldn’t think that would be what Orangefield needs to continue with success. I believe Nederland’s defense was quite poor this year and they haven’t been the Mecca for success in football in a few years. In fact I don’t think any Nederland coach would have high stock now as a potential AD/HFB candidate.  

Being from Orangefield cannot be the only qualification…or maybe it will be..hopefully not. If it’s just about being a former player at Orangefield , why not Derek Peveto from Orangefield who is currently at Vidor coaching. He was a much better athlete than Theriot was and much better than Peevey. Again just basing this off the previous comment you stated about Theriot was a good player from Orangefield.  That’s probably debatable in football. Depends on who you ask. I’m sure his coaching friends on here will quickly come to his defense on that, and that’s fine as well. It would appear to me that Theriot has enough on his plate trying to improve his defense. Probably not the best time to give him the key to the city and full command of Orangefield.

Having “some” knowledge of Orangefield , although not an abundant knowledge or as much as others on here, I do believe they will indeed hire someone from Orangefield. It’s just kind of there way on the overall scale. Yes, Huckaby was an outsider. Smalley was from BC, that was close enough so I would think overall they will go with someone the superintendent knows and doesn’t feel challenged by. When you know someone, it tends to make people in charge feel more comfortable. Not the best tactic to take when hiring a coach , but the facts are that pretty much anyone you hire for that job is guaranteed a playoff spot for the next two years as I hear they are staying in that small district. Again, 4 teams go.  They will once again be the largest school in that district, and they will make the playoffs.

They have hardworking athletes out there who want to be successful. Hopefully Orangefield will bring in the best candidate and not someone a particular school board member went to school with as the only reason. There are some good assistant coaches out there in this area. One that comes to mind is a guy like Chad Lutcherall at PNG. (Probably missed the spelling on his name).  Will see how it plays out. 

On 12/16/2023 at 12:52 PM, 72 Pinto said:

I hope Orangefield hires someone to upgrade that stadium.  I like to go to Friday night games, but the experience at PNG compared Orangefield is night and day.

Orangefield doesn't need to hire anyone to upgrade the facilities. That what the admin (supt) and school board do, not the AD. They just passed a bond to upgrade schools. Now they need one for athletics. Doubt it would pass though. 

I hope OF remembers they are hiring an AD, not just a football coach. The person they hire has to develop all programs , especially the jr high. IMO, a elite coach develops a winning attitude/program within the whole school system. You may have some great athletes walking the halls, but they may not want to be a part of what's offered if it's a joke/no discipline/low expectations/low community engagement. Make kids excited about your school in elementary. Carthage football players "adopt" a younger kid in the community during the season. You can bet that those little kids want to be big football players for their school one day.  Hire jr high coaches who care about developing players and keeping kids in the program. Too many jr high coaches care about the record of the 7th grade B team instead of making sure kids want to stay in the program. 

Friday nights at PNG are special, but I have been to games at big schools with nice facilities and the atmosphere is dead so it's not just facilities. The community creates the atmosphere they want, to an extent.

4 hours ago, Gametime5 said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, sir, and if that’s how you feel then that’s your right. I’m not trying to be argumentative with you for sure so please don’t read anything I’m posting here as an attempt to show you up at all.

However there are a few facts that would surround that. You are speaking of Chris Theriot. I believe they passed on him years ago when he was Ofield’s defensive coordinator under head coach Blake Morrison. When Morrison left, I think that’s when they brought in Huckaby or something like that. If Theriot is now the defensive coordinator at Nederland , I wouldn’t think that would be what Orangefield needs to continue with success. I believe Nederland’s defense was quite poor this year and they haven’t been the Mecca for success in football in a few years. In fact I don’t think any Nederland coach would have high stock now as a potential AD/HFB candidate.  

Being from Orangefield cannot be the only qualification…or maybe it will be..hopefully not. If it’s just about being a former player at Orangefield , why not Derek Peveto from Orangefield who is currently at Vidor coaching. He was a much better athlete than Theriot was and much better than Peevey. Again just basing this off the previous comment you stated about Theriot was a good player from Orangefield.  That’s probably debatable in football. Depends on who you ask. I’m sure his coaching friends on here will quickly come to his defense on that, and that’s fine as well. It would appear to me that Theriot has enough on his plate trying to improve his defense. Probably not the best time to give him the key to the city and full command of Orangefield.

Having “some” knowledge of Orangefield , although not an abundant knowledge or as much as others on here, I do believe they will indeed hire someone from Orangefield. It’s just kind of there way on the overall scale. Yes, Huckaby was an outsider. Smalley was from BC, that was close enough so I would think overall they will go with someone the superintendent knows and doesn’t feel challenged by. When you know someone, it tends to make people in charge feel more comfortable. Not the best tactic to take when hiring a coach , but the facts are that pretty much anyone you hire for that job is guaranteed a playoff spot for the next two years as I hear they are staying in that small district. Again, 4 teams go.  They will once again be the largest school in that district, and they will make the playoffs.

They have hardworking athletes out there who want to be successful. Hopefully Orangefield will bring in the best candidate and not someone a particular school board member went to school with as the only reason. There are some good assistant coaches out there in this area. One that comes to mind is a guy like Chad Lutcherall at PNG. (Probably missed the spelling on his name).  Will see how it plays out. 

My post was not meant to go that deep, but the info is welcomed. I am sure Peveto & Luttrull are in the mix also if they applied. Theriot has a wealth of defensive knowledge learning from Larry Neuman, Delbert Spell & Randy Theriot. Speaking of Huckaby, he was my 7th & 8th grade football coach back in the mid 80's very intense, serious & positive dude.

Orangefield's underclassmen( girls and boys) are very talented and have good numbers. In the up coming realignment they are one of the biggest in their classification in the state. Throw on top of that the kids have won and continue to be blue collar hard working. This will in itself be interesting to potentially great coaches out there. 

Not sure how OISD will select coach, by superintendent/board or committee.  Keep in mind whoever does,  the athletes deserve and want the coach who is a proven winner and wins!!!!!!

All this other stuff on the board is just positioning for who they want. Do what is right by the athletes and bring them a proven winner.   

14 hours ago, Gametime5 said:

I would appreciate if you wouldn’t drag someone’s name through the mud like that. You seem very uneducated in this topic. Your false accusations are unnecessary. 

• Bobcat1 changed the title to Jeffery Breaux named OF’s New AD