Nikki Haley - What do you think so far?

Bobcat1

On 2/19/2024 at 9:28 AM, SmashMouth said:

Nothing wrong with that, but it leads to the next question… When she doesn’t get the nomination (and she won’t), who will you vote for in the presidential election?

I early voted for Haley in the primary.  I think she bows out after 3/5/2024 unless she does unimaginably well.  

I'll probably just refrain from voting for President if Trump is the Republican nominee... and I'm 99% sure that he will be.  And whoever gets "lucky" and gets selected as Trump's VP pick will get eviscerated (aka Pence) by Trump eventually, just like everybody else who's ever worked for him.   It's like this- All of the liberals/democrats hate him and will never vote for him.  The majority of Independents/Moderates are also so turned off by his actions that they will either vote for someone else or just stay home.  Somewhere near 40% of Republicans/Conservatives are like me.... they just aren't going to vote for Trump.  As easily as I can say that Haley can't win the primary, I can just as easily say that Trump can't win in the general.  

The question is this... who is more ignorant?  The people who vote for the Democrat (presumably Biden) or the people who nominate someone who can't beat Biden?  

I'll put it like this... you have the most powerful person in the Texas House representing SETX... Dade Phelan.  I think there's a very good possibility that he loses to Covey, in large part due to the endorsement of Trump.  On here, I see people who are like "yeah, he's a RINO... he needs to go.  Did you see where Trump endorsed him?"  At the end of the day you're just shooting yourself in the foot because you're going from having the top dawg in the House (the Speaker himself) representing you... and you give that away because he's not MAGA enough for you.  It's a huge loss for the locals, but at least MAGA gets a win, right?  It's the reason that San Francisco kept sending Pelosi back to Washington.  Was she perfect?  Heck, no-far from it.  Was she the most powerful person in the House?  Yes.... case closed... you don't fire that person.  Or at least you shouldn't.  But the Left, while I disagree with them, are proving again that they are politically superior to the Right. 

40 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

I early voted for Haley in the primary.  I think she bows out after 3/5/2024 unless she does unimaginably well.  

I'll probably just refrain from voting for President if Trump is the Republican nominee... and I'm 99% sure that he will be.  And whoever gets "lucky" and gets selected as Trump's VP pick will get eviscerated (aka Pence) by Trump eventually, just like everybody else who's ever worked for him.   It's like this- All of the liberals/democrats hate him and will never vote for him.  The majority of Independents/Moderates are also so turned off by his actions that they will either vote for someone else or just stay home.  Somewhere near 40% of Republicans/Conservatives are like me.... they just aren't going to vote for Trump.  As easily as I can say that Haley can't win the primary, I can just as easily say that Trump can't win in the general.  

The question is this... who is more ignorant?  The people who vote for the Democrat (presumably Biden) or the people who nominate someone who can't beat Biden?  

I'll put it like this... you have the most powerful person in the Texas House representing SETX... Dade Phelan.  I think there's a very good possibility that he loses to Covey, in large part due to the endorsement of Trump.  On here, I see people who are like "yeah, he's a RINO... he needs to go.  Did you see where Trump endorsed him?"  At the end of the day you're just shooting yourself in the foot because you're going from having the top dawg in the House (the Speaker himself) representing you... and you give that away because he's not MAGA enough for you.  It's a huge loss for the locals, but at least MAGA gets a win, right?  It's the reason that San Francisco kept sending Pelosi back to Washington.  Was she perfect?  Heck, no-far from it.  Was she the most powerful person in the House?  Yes.... case closed... you don't fire that person.  Or at least you shouldn't.  But the Left, while I disagree with them, are proving again that they are politically superior to the Right. 

For what it’s worth, I think Phelan will win. 

1. Haley will almost certainly drop out of the race after Super Tuesday.

Her statement that she’s in it for the long-haul has to be made and everyone in her position says the same thing. What else are they going to say, if you don’t vote for me this week I’m quitting? Such an admission by anyone might as well have throw in the towel at that moment. 

2. No one has to justify their vote, why they vote or if they don’t vote at all. However… the next president will be a Democrat or a Republican. The Constitution guarantees it by about 99.9%. In that respect, a no vote, or a vote for someone in a third-party other than Democrat or Republican, is ridiculous vote. You could skip voting, write yourself in, you could put it in Mickey Mouse‘s name or vote for one of the dozen or more “third” parties. On a sidenote, I always find it interesting that they call a third party any one of many. “Yeah, I am going for that third party!”. Why not call it an alternate or protest party which is what it is. 
But, no matter you’re justification to vote for whoever or skip voting altogether, nothing will change the fact that either a Republican or a democrat will be the next president.

Voting for a president when one is guaranteed to be in office, is not like not shopping at Walmart or not buying a food that you don’t like. There are most things in our life that we can simply choose to avoid. Having a president is not an option unless you move out of the country.

3. Anyone that thinks conservatives or Republicans are not going to vote for Trump at a 40% rate is in La La Land. TDS would be running strong. In 2016 he got 63 million votes and after all of his antics, increase to 74 million in 2020. I don’t know if he will increase that or if he will lose a percentage, but if he does, I don’t expect it to be much. I think Biden has shown that the 2020 election was a big mistake in the minds of many people.

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

For what it’s worth, I think Phelan will win. 

An incumbent probably starts out with about a 90% chance of winning. For that reason Phelan is extremely likely to win, but apparently he is feeling heat. I’ve never seen such a local political race where I get texts and nicely printed flyers every day.

The odds of him losing are likely in the single digits. 

13 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

1. Haley will almost certainly drop out of the race after Super Tuesday.

Her statement that she’s in it for the long-haul has to be made and everyone in her position says the same thing. What else are they going to say, if you don’t vote for me this week I’m quitting? Such an admission by anyone might as well have throw in the towel at that moment. 

2. No one has to justify their vote, why they vote or if they don’t vote at all. However… the next president will be a Democrat or a Republican. The Constitution guarantees it by about 99.9%. In that respect, a no vote, or a vote for someone in a third-party other than Democrat or Republican, is ridiculous vote. You could skip voting, write yourself in, you could put it in Mickey Mouse‘s name or vote for one of the dozen or more “third” parties. On a sidenote, I always find it interesting that they call a third party any one of many. “Yeah, I am going for that third party!”. Why not call it an alternate or protest party which is what it is. 
But, no matter you’re justification to vote for whoever or skip voting altogether, nothing will change the fact that either a Republican or a democrat will be the next president.

Voting for a president when one is guaranteed to be in office, is not like not shopping at Walmart or not buying a food that you don’t like. There are most things in our life that we can simply choose to avoid. Having a president is not an option unless you move out of the country.

3. Anyone that thinks conservatives or Republicans are not going to vote for Trump at a 40% rate is in La La Land. TDS would be running strong. In 2016 he got 63 million votes and after all of his antics, increase to 74 million in 2020. I don’t know if he will increase that or if he will lose a percentage, but if he does, I don’t expect it to be much. I think Biden has shown that the 2020 election was a big mistake in the minds of many people.

The truth is painful for some folks.

Good post

2 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Thank you for your perspective, JEB!

1 hour ago, tvc184 said:

An incumbent probably starts out with about a 90% chance of winning. For that reason Phelan is extremely likely to win, but apparently he is feeling heat. I’ve never seen such a local political race where I get texts and nicely printed flyers every day.

The odds of him losing are likely in the single digits. 

It's the same thing up here... texts, commercials, mailers- and they're all very bitter about our local race for state rep. The thing is this... It's just a primary and most of the turnout will be people who are fairly involved politically.  Those people are VERY motivated to fire anybody that MAGA or Abbot believes need to go.  If you go to a meeting of the Republican groups in Hardin or Jefferson County, all you'll likely hear is people claiming to be RINO hunters, etc... We need to fire the Speaker, our local rep, state senator, etc...  Do you know what they call Democrats who aren't liberal enough for the extreme left?  

Nothing... because the Dems don't eat their own- that's a purely Republican thing.  And trust me, independents and open minded left of center voters want nothing to do with the dysfunction that defines being a Republican. 

While I don't agree with a lot of y'all, nobody is gonna argue that y'all are much more interested in politics than the rest of the population and are more "like" the people who attend meetings, read articles, and vote in primaries... and to a man y'all support the same candidate(s). I think Phelan and Bailes are in real trouble. 

24 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

. I think Phelan and Bailes are in real trouble. 

I think most people are so tired of woke/lawlessness/flood of illegles/Bidensdisasters that they want to vomit. You can hope for Republicans to lose but Biden will have zero coatails in TX and many other states. Most of America readily recognizes thet the USA is in steep decline the past 3.5 years. 

27 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

I think most people are so tired of woke/lawlessness/flood of illegles/Bidensdisasters that they want to vomit. You can hope for Republicans to lose but Biden will have zero coatails in TX and many other states. Most of America readily recognizes thet the USA is in steep decline the past 3.5 years. 

I don't hope that Republicans lose, but what's going on between Republicans needs to stop.  And for what it's worth, the economy is in way better shape than it was in on Election Day of 2020.... but Trump fans don't want to talk about that.  That was caused by the "plandemic." Nobody wants to remember who was behind Operation Warp Speed anymore.  

43 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

And for what it's worth, the economy is in way better shape than it was in on Election Day of 2020.... but Trump fans don't want to talk about that. 

LOL! They want to talk about Trumps SUB 2% inflation, lack of Fentanal deaths and the secure border we had then.

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

I don't hope that Republicans lose, but what's going on between Republicans needs to stop.  And for what it's worth, the economy is in way better shape than it was in on Election Day of 2020.... but Trump fans don't want to talk about that.  That was caused by the "plandemic." Nobody wants to remember who was behind Operation Warp Speed anymore.  

You honestly think that biden would have handled the “plandemic” any better?  You are correct in calling it a “plandemic”.  It was planned to get Trump out of office.  The Russia hoax and the sham impeachments didn’t work, so they played the  COVID card predicted by Fauci.  By the way, Fauci lied about the origin, to not piss off hunter and joe’s business partners in China. As far as the economy, how about the pre-Covid years during Trump’s term?

They? Trump pumped out trillions in aid and brought us the vaccines that y’all despise. 

The stock market is higher than any point in Trump’s tenure. We made it out of what all indications would be a recession unscathed, other than higher interest rates which are once again falling. Biden is diminished, no doubt. He should NOT be the next president. But you shouldn’t look back fondly at the trump years, while ignoring the last year (which was a disaster) and ignoring the fact that things are better right now than at any point in Trump’s presidency. Unemployment, stock market, etc.  Biden’s age and the mess at the border are huge issues, though.  

Even if I ignore the facts and pretend trump is somehow better for the economy, it doesn’t change the fact that Trump is unlikable, already lost to Biden once, and since nothing has changed since 2020, will likely lose again. So why nominate him again? 

14 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

The stock market is higher than any point in Trump’s tenure. We made it out of what all indications would be a recession unscathed, other than higher interest rates which are once again falling.

Even if I ignore the facts and pretend trump is somehow better for the economy

I don't know why people are so economically illiterate. Most are absolutely unaware how economic cycles work.

For an illustration, lets say the USA elects a very pro buisness President that wants prosperity for the nation. He fast track approves drilling, pipelines, and export terminals. So when does it positivly affect the economy? Years later! Permitting takes time, as does engineering, land acquisition, and construction. The payoff only comes 5+ years later when the oil actually flows and goes to market. So lets say in year 4 of those 5 years, another President is "elected" that hates the American industry and wants to kill it off. He does everything he can to restrict and outlaw the industry. However, the product is already flowing and profits are now rolling in. Who gets credit? The Pro buisness Prez that supported it, or the one who hates it and wants to kill it but happens to be in office when the profits come in? Economic cycles and effects are by nature delayed. If you want to see how well an adminstration does, look at the economy 5 years later. 

Thank you Trump for the stock market today.      

1 hour ago, Separation Scientist said:

I don't know why people are so economically illiterate. Most are absolutely unaware how economic cycles work.

For an illustration, lets say the USA elects a very pro buisness President that wants prosperity for the nation. He fast track approves drilling, pipelines, and export terminals. So when does it positivly affect the economy? Years later! Permitting takes time, as does engineering, land acquisition, and construction. The payoff only comes 5+ years later when the oil actually flows and goes to market. So lets say in year 4 of those 5 years, another President is "elected" that hates the American industry and wants to kill it off. He does everything he can to restrict and outlaw the industry. However, the product is already flowing and profits are now rolling in. Who gets credit? The Pro buisness Prez that supported it, or the one who hates it and wants to kill it but happens to be in office when the profits come in? Economic cycles and effects are by nature delayed. If you want to see how well an adminstration does, look at the economy 5 years later. 

Thank you Trump for the stock market today.      

That's weird... because Trump said that the stock market is due for a huge crash if Biden gets re-elected.  Are you proposing that the crash Trump is predicting in 2025 will actually be a result of Trump's policies from prior to 2020?

This is the hidden content, please

But you're spot on about the economy having less to do with who's in office and more to do with the cyclic nature of economics.  Trump's success in years 1-3 was just a result of the good work done by Obama, if I'm to believe your rationale.