West Orange-Stark 2023

On 8/2/2023 at 12:01 PM, WOSdrummer99 said:

Exactly. They also had their focus on us. Knowing it was their chance and took full advantage. Hope they keep the focus again. Don't think they're coming to DRH to face the '22 team again. We've got some seniors that still have that winning mentality that has been instilled in them since they were old enough to hold a football. Everyone's back and ready to roll. Kids were working hard this morning. Pushing each other just as much as the coaches were. Now we need to get our fan base back in the game and show em some love.

Any info on the scrimmage? I know it's in Woodville, but do you know the times?

24 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

Any info on the scrimmage? I know it's in Woodville, but do you know the times?

Only time I've found is 7pm for varsity. Hope we get some info from our friends in Woodville. I don't believe too many people gonna make that trip or this scrimmage. 

Reminder that next week in Vidor is on Thursday.

Well, when I got there I found out they actually started at 6. I saw the quarter and a little more that they played. O line is big. Turner looked good throwing it. I saw a pick 6 and a couple TD passes. For some reason they ended it with 10 minutes left in the second live period. I was told the Woodville coach called it but not sure if that's true.

Defense didn't give up much, but Woodville kept committing penalties. Still in that 4-3. 

We just have to remember, it's Woodville.

52 minutes ago, Gasilla said:

Defense didn't give up much, but Woodville kept committing penalties. Still in that 4-3. 

We just have to remember, it's Woodville.

I agree. What I saw at practice is that they've made progress. But still have a long way to go to get to the top. I think the kids really believe in themselves again and have committed to the new Mustang way.

#DOYOURJOB

On 8/12/2023 at 10:09 AM, WOSdrummer99 said:

I agree. What I saw at practice is that they've made progress. But still have a long way to go to get to the top. I think the kids really believe in themselves again and have committed to the new Mustang way.

#DOYOURJOB

Well, all that's real good, til you line up against the PNG, Jasper and Silbee's of the world. I'll believe when I see it on the field. My gut tells me we'll be decent on offense and porous on defense, again. I hope they prove me wrong.

2 hours ago, Gasilla said:

Well, all that's real good, til you line up against the PNG, Jasper and Silbee's of the world. I'll believe when I see it on the field. My gut tells me we'll be decent on offense and porous on defense, again. I hope they prove me wrong.

Replacing the whole D line has been a concern. But our strength will be with the LBs and DBs. They've learned the system H wants to use now. Gotta stay healthy too with many playing both offense and defense.

From the orange leader article...

Heading into year two under Hickman’s lead, the Mustangs are more comfortable with multiple defensive attacks and players have settled in nicely.  The back half of the defense should be a major strength.  The defensive backs are headlined by A’myrin Scott, who earned a First Team All-Defense nod last year. He’s joined by Chris Jones and Tahj Amerson, who are both returning starters.  The Mustangs will also boast one of the best linebacker tandems in the region. Jalen Gilmore is a three-year starter on defense, and junior William Pitre is on his way to becoming a household name.  “Pitre is a typical West Orange linebacker,” Hickman said. “He’ll have offers from everywhere. When you see him on the field, you’re going to say, “That guy’s big, and he’s fast.””  The defensive line is an area of minor concern. There will be fresh faces in the trenches, several of whom are converting over from the offensive line.