4A #3 Silsbee vs #5 Houston Furr Predictions Regional Tourney

I've predicted the spreads within a point or two for the first three games.  I figured all three Silsbee opponents would play their best game of the season against the Tigers and that's exactly what happened.  If you watch the Jacksonville YouTube you'll hear their play by play guys say it right out loud, this game was the best Jacksonville played all year.  And we saw for ourselves last night with HJ.  It was touch and go against a team Silsbee beat by 21 earlier and who barely got past Chapel Hill.  And Liberty?  That had to be the best game they played all year, or maybe in several years.  

And I expect that Furr, like the others, is going to play their best game of the season against Silsbee.  Furr will not have a letdown.  They will play better than they did in either game against Washington.  I feel this is so because they are a very consistent team.  Early in the district season they beat Washington by 1 and late in the district season they lost to Washington by 1 in overtime.  So far in the playoffs they've won by 37, 31 and 25.  As the competition got a little better the spread dropped by exactly 6 points each time. 

The Tigers on the other hand, have been demonstrating some inconsistency.  They play great one moment and sputter the next.  Of course their sputtering is better than some teams best.  It's like Tigers95 said, if the Tigers win it will be ugly.

My heart doesn't like it but my head says Furr by 5.  

All that said the mathematics favors Washington to win the region.  This is true simply because their semi opponent Center, though a good team, is second tier.  For all intents and purposes Washington is already there.  Silsbee and Furr have to go through each other to get there.  Washington needs to avoid a letdown on Friday and play a great game on Saturday.  Silsbee and Furr have to play 2 great games.

3 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

I've predicted the spreads within a point or two for the first three games.  I figured all three Silsbee opponents would play their best game of the season against the Tigers and that's exactly what happened.  If you watch the Jacksonville YouTube you'll hear their play by play guys say it right out loud, this game was the best Jacksonville played all year.  And we saw for ourselves last night with HJ.  It was touch and go against a team Silsbee beat by 21 earlier and who barely got past Chapel Hill.  And Liberty?  That had to be the best game they played all year, or maybe in several years.  

And I expect that Furr, like the others, is going to play their best game of the season against Silsbee.  Furr will not have a letdown.  They will play better than they did in either game against Washington.  I feel this is so because they are a very consistent team.  Early in the district season they beat Washington by 1 and late in the district season they lost to Washington by 1 in overtime.  So far in the playoffs they've won by 37, 31 and 25.  As the competition got a little better the spread dropped by exactly 6 points each time. 

The Tigers on the other hand, have been demonstrating some inconsistency.  They play great one moment and sputter the next.  Of course their sputtering is better than some teams best.  It's like Tigers95 said, if the Tigers win it will be ugly.

All that said the mathematics favors Washington to win the region.  This is true simply because their semi opponent Center, though a good team, is second tier.  For all intents and purposes Washington is already there.  Silsbee and Furr have to go through each other to get there.  Washington needs to avoid a letdown on Friday and play a great game on Saturday.  Silsbee and Furr have to play 2 great games.

I don't want to agree but I do.

I've watched alot of Silsbee basketball over the years. I never doubt how Coach Sigler will have these kids prepared to play. Those non district game experiences come into play this time of year. Silsbee has been here before and Furr hasn't. I expect the Tigers to play their best ball of the year this weekend. Silsbee by 5 over Furr and beat Washington by 4. Washington were a favorite over the Tigers last year as well. I think we see huge games from Miller and Harris. 

I am an outsider but a huge silsbee fan. I got to watch the Washington game last year and watched 3 or 4 games this year. I think once it gets to this level Miller and Harris are capable of kicking it up an extra step when other aren’t able to. Miller was awesome in that Washington game last year. I guess my point is I believe the coach will have them ready and we will see them at State again. Tough road but they are battle tested.

Bottom line, Silsbee kids are just tougher minded and have that will to win that showed in their games vs. Furr and Washington last year. Both those teams showed frustration even when they were ahead of Silsbee. Silsbee kids just don't get rattled.

I also think Silsbee is way better in the coaching department than Furr and Washington. Big reason why I have Silsbee winning the region.

18 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Bottom line, Silsbee kids are just tougher minded and have that will to win that showed in their games vs. Furr and Washington last year. Both those teams showed frustration even when they were ahead of Silsbee. Silsbee kids just don't get rattled.

I also think Silsbee is way better in the coaching department than Furr and Washington. Big reason why I have Silsbee winning the region.

I agree with that!

40 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

This is why Silsbee and other SETX teams such as United and Memorial have had such great success against Houston teams that are arguably more talented.  It is also why Houston teams struggle, in general, against teams from the metroplex.  I’ve watched arguments on here for years about facilities, etc.  But as has always been the case in sports, very often it comes down to the toughest kids win.  Mentally, physically, whatever.  And Silsbee will be the toughest team at that regional.  

These are the games that Silsbee thrives on. Kinda like how they played in the Cotton Classic. Great competition makes these Tigers go alot harder on the court and coach Sig knows this that's why he gets the best of the best to play at the beginning of the season. Battled tested to the T"..! Silsbee will be ready to go this weekend. Side note Miller" hates to  Lose.! #TigerNation #FI9HT  🐅🏀

1 hour ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Same

13 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

We (Silsbee) will determine if they good or not , this was the same talk last year not from you but from other folks .. and we sent Furr and Btw to the attic .. I expect the same tomorrow night … everybody talking bout inconsistency. First round we gave up 72 ,second 61 , and 3rd 50 points .. looks to me our defense pepping at the right time .. and if these others teams don’t play they bench it’s most definitely gone be the same results .. 

13 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

We (Silsbee) will determine if they good or not , this was the same talk last year not from you but from other folks .. and we sent Furr and Btw to the attic .. I expect the same tomorrow night … everybody talking bout inconsistency. First round we gave up 72 ,second 61 , and 3rd 50 points .. looks to me our defense pepping at the right time .. and if these others teams don’t play they bench it’s most definitely gone be the same results .. 

4 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Where would you put the line at on this one Mike?